Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Not good enough. A goal by the goalie on a non-empty goal in a 5 on 3 power play against the Soviet Union in Lake Placid, 1980. USA! USA!

Serious question:

According to 247, Michigan sits at an abysmal #90 in the rankings, with only 6 recruits (!). Can Harbaugh salvage some sort of respectable class in 30 days?

Komet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

BigBoss posted:

Minnesota is trending up, and Wisconsin and Nebraska will not lie dormant forever. They have way too much history, money, and interest to be doormats for an extended period. Once upon a time, the SEC East produced a few national champs. Now it's the West that's kicking rear end. These things go in cycles.

The difference is there is recruiting parity between the SEC West and SEC East and coaching quality determines the cycles.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

Not good enough. A goal by the goalie on a non-empty goal in a 5 on 3 power play against the Soviet Union in Lake Placid, 1980. USA! USA!

Serious question:

According to 247, Michigan sits at an abysmal #90 in the rankings, with only 6 recruits (!). Can Harbaugh salvage some sort of respectable class in 30 days?

Yes he can. Look for Chris Clark to recommit. Harbaugh has already called Weber. It was always going to be a small class so if he can bring in some top talent and backfill with some 3 stars it'll be OK.

Iman Marshall wants to visit and a top linebacker will visit if Durkin is on staff.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Yes. Can't wait for next season.

Also, that scenario pretty much happened at a Tigers game I was at this year. A walk-off grand slam when down by 3 in the bottom of the 9th. It was epic. It's only happened 29 times in major league history too.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/walk_off_grand_slams.shtml

I think Alan Trammell is the only player to have done it with two outs and a full count.

Also, there are reporters at DTW taking pictures of the outside of Harbaugh's plane right now, which is hilarious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Komet posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare: I don't follow much college football. I knew Michigan was bad lately, but I thought it was by Michigan standards, not that they actually sucked poo poo.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Neodoomium posted:

I prefer a more local Chris Osgood. He has one too!

I thought about Ozzie, but Hextall scored while a goalie was in

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Volkerball posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare: I don't follow much college football. I knew Michigan was bad lately, but I thought it was by Michigan standards, not that they actually sucked poo poo.

Kinda hard to keep recruits when your coach is a dead man walking. 8 decommits of top 300 recruits.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
It's a really small class anyway, so it was never going to rank well, but yeah. It's been a long two years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Yes he can. Look for Chris Clark to recommit. Harbaugh has already called Weber. It was always going to be a small class so if he can bring in some top talent and backfill with some 3 stars it'll be OK.

Iman Marshall wants to visit and a top linebacker will visit if Durkin is on staff.

Yeah, it won't be hard. Regardless of current commitment status, no high school kid is going to refuse to answer when his mom tells him that Jim Harbaugh is on the phone.

Not to imply that he can have anybody he wants, but he's not going to have problems pulling in some good players in the next month.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Also, Michigan still has 4 four star recruits, a kicker, and a legacy commitment. It'll rise back up.

2016 should be the special class.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scott Van Pelt giving Brian Cook some respect he doesn't get in TFF:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Eternal reminder

Neodoomium posted:

Footballscoop, a site I have never heard of, is claiming Harbaugh is "not interested" and told Michigan so.

This got an actual response from MGoBlog's Brian Cook, who is claiming multiple sources have talked to Harbaugh and he has shown interest.

Keep the machine turning!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Football Scoop is a very good website and I'd trust them over Brian Cook every single day of the week. It's where most of the actual tips from you know, actual coaches and staffers gets sent. They used to get bitten pretty bad by false leaks but they've been really on top as of late.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
Never forget Gil Brandt's sources that claimed David Cutcliffe said no to Michigan.

I bet Cutcliffe is kicking himself now. It all could have been his!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can't wait until michigan gets slapped with a million sanctions for paying recruits and harbaugh jumps ship after 2 years

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can't wait until he does something insane and embarrassing and we are deluged by stories about how "Michigan Men" have more class than that. I'm guessing there will be a story along these lines before August.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

Never forget Gil Brandt's sources that claimed David Cutcliffe said no to Michigan.

I bet Cutcliffe is kicking himself now. It all could have been his!

I think there's a pretty decent chance they reached out to his agent to gauge his interest in the event the Harbaugh thing fell through and got a no thanks.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Ribsauce posted:

I can't wait until he does something insane and embarrassing and we are deluged by stories about how "Michigan Men" have more class than that. I'm guessing there will be a story along these lines before August.

in my headcannon wazzu and michigan both defy all logic and expectations and magically become not-dogshit and leach creams michigan in the rose bowl and harbaugh murders a player midfield with his bare hands

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Linguica posted:

Eternal reminder

FBScoops bit hard on some bullshit around michigan but by and wide they seem to be on point with their other reports.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alouicious posted:

i can't wait until michigan gets slapped with a million sanctions for paying recruits and harbaugh jumps ship after 2 years

They're obviously not paying them enough.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ribsauce posted:

Naw he has a grace period where he could punch a baby and people will awkwardly chuckle. Now a couple years down the road once the rest of the administration is sick of his poo poo? Then the stories will come out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jed York: Wasn't an easy conclusion

quote:

York, though, would not shed any light on what was said in those discussions, saying they were "private" in nature, though he did acknowledge there had been trade inquiries for Harbaugh made by other teams, and Harbaugh was not interested.

Boom. Harbaugh never had any interest in staying in the NFL. More proof that the so-called journalists were just making poo poo up.

This really has become an issue of ethics in sports journalism.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jesus christ shut the gently caress up you senile jackass

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

Jed York: Wasn't an easy conclusion

Boom. Harbaugh never had any interest in staying in the NFL. More proof that the so-called journalists were just making poo poo up.

Just look at who was right and who was wrong.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Alouicious posted:

jesus christ shut the gently caress up you senile jackass

Lol. You're reading the part of the thread that it's obvious that Det and Howe are gonna gloat.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"there's nothing more insufferable than a sore winner," said the sore loser

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Lol. You're reading the part of the thread that it's obvious that Det and Howe are gonna gloat.

I wasn't actually meaning to gloat over that. It was an area I was still unsure about, as I haven't seen much info on what was happening at Jim's end.

All the signs pointed to Jim being fed up with the NFL in general and actively pursuing the Michigan job (rather than having to be won over), but I hadn't seen anything concrete. Knowing the NFL pundits were full of poo poo is different from suspecting it.

ed:

vvvvvvvv Yes, it was. Thanks for noticing. :tipshat:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 30, 2014

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.

Deteriorata posted:

I see what you did there, I mean, I hope that was on purpose...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I really haven't been following this whole thing, and I have a few pages to catch up on, but let's stop this crazy poo poo right here:

Harbaugh is not interested in Michigan. Period.

[edit:] Ah, sorry, still gotta catch up. Sure, Harbaugh is "considering" Michigan, but he's just really just hanging on so he can use that for negotiating power with NFL teams.

[edit 2:] Oops, still behind. Fine, rumors are heating up, maybe he's going to Michigan. But let's be honest here; Harbaugh would prefer to be in the NFL, but nobody is interested in matching that outrageous offer that Michigan gave him. Money talks, and NFL teams just don't have money to be throwing around at coaches who went to the NFC championship game three out of the past four years.

[edit 3:] Ugh, this is moving faster than I expected. Harbaugh is just using Michigan as a short-term break before heading right back to the NFL, even though the Raiders, Bears, and Dolphins (earlier in the month) were reported to be interested. He's just waiting for a better job. Like, uh, the Lions I guess.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

It's like the guy who called a number on the roulette wheel, actually hit that number, and now believes himself to be a genius instead of insanely lucky.

Now all Harbaugh has to do is win a couple of titles and all this will be worth it, because if he doesn't Michigan ain't got a plan B unless it's digging Bo back up.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

MourningView posted:

I think there's a pretty decent chance they reached out to his agent to gauge his interest in the event the Harbaugh thing fell through and got a no thanks.

I'm sure this is what actually happened, but Brandt's version was that Michigan offered the job and were turned down. He then remarked about "how times have changed."

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Now all Harbaugh has to do is win a couple of titles and all this will be worth it, because if he doesn't Michigan ain't got a plan B unless it's digging Bo back up.

Obviously. But Michigan got the best possible coach on the market. Any college team would dump their new hire for Harbaugh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Harbaugh is going to dominate college football, sorry if this offends anyone.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Harbaugh is going to dominate college football, sorry if this offends anyone.

It's not like he hasn't been there?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I think it would have been healthier for the program long term if they got Mullen. They needed to murder the Michigan Man bullshit once and for all, and now it will be bigger than ever.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think it would have been healthier for the program long term if they got Mullen. They needed to murder the Michigan Man bullshit once and for all, and now it will be bigger than ever.

I don't think so. If he stays 6-8 years and then gives the NFL another shot he already has a coaching tree that is impressive that Michigan can tap into.

e: Desmond Howard tweeted that he heard Harbaugh wasn't making more than Saban. So 8/48 may be true.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

It's not like he hasn't been there?

At poo poo rear end Stanford. He's going to be able to recruit everyone at Michigan. Nobody's NFL resume is even close to his, which is going to matter to kids who are looking towards the pros. Add that with how popular of a school Michigan is in college football, and I'd expect them to be a top 5 team pretty soon.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Looks like it'll be Durkin at DC.

He just turned down UNC.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

disheveled posted:

I really haven't been following this whole thing, and I have a few pages to catch up on, but let's stop this crazy poo poo right here:

Harbaugh is not interested in Michigan. Period.

[edit:] Ah, sorry, still gotta catch up. Sure, Harbaugh is "considering" Michigan, but he's just really just hanging on so he can use that for negotiating power with NFL teams.

[edit 2:] Oops, still behind. Fine, rumors are heating up, maybe he's going to Michigan. But let's be honest here; Harbaugh would prefer to be in the NFL, but nobody is interested in matching that outrageous offer that Michigan gave him. Money talks, and NFL teams just don't have money to be throwing around at coaches who went to the NFC championship game three out of the past four years.

[edit 3:] Ugh, this is moving faster than I expected. Harbaugh is just using Michigan as a short-term break before heading right back to the NFL, even though the Raiders, Bears, and Dolphins (earlier in the month) were reported to be interested. He's just waiting for a better job. Like, uh, the Lions I guess.

EDIT: He'll probably have a recruiting scandal by uhhh August :rolleyes: Serves Deteriorata personally right for linking news articles about Lloyd Carr wanting Harbaugh and a local news interview where the guy says they'll pursue Harbaugh and then after that uh getting mildly excited at the prospect of Harbaugh and um daring to tell Detroit Dogg to cool his jets and uh whatever I hope your loving balls fall off for making GBS threads up this thread Deteriorata you piece of subhuman gently caress

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

uncle wrinkles posted:

EDIT: He'll probably have a recruiting scandal by uhhh August :rolleyes: Serves Deteriorata personally right for linking news articles about Lloyd Carr wanting Harbaugh and a local news interview where the guy says they'll pursue Harbaugh and then after that uh getting mildly excited at the prospect of Harbaugh and um daring to tell Detroit Dogg to cool his jets and uh whatever I hope your loving balls fall off for making GBS threads up this thread Deteriorata you piece of subhuman gently caress

Well then he can Pete Carroll himself back to the NFL in 4 years and leave Michigan with the death penalty or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Bip Roberts posted:

Well then he can Pete Carroll himself back to the NFL in 4 years and leave Michigan with the death penalty or whatever.

I think Steve Spurrier would be the more in-character fantasy here.

• Locked thread