Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spaseman posted:

What is the best unit makeup for my retinue? I'm in Ireland if that matters at all.

Archers, archers and more archers. Even better if you can get someone Welsh with high Martial to command them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The amount of bugs that are so blatant in the recent DLCs (Rajas of India was just pitiful) is really disappointing me.

The event spam, MTTH fuckery, and levy problem that turns nations docile in WoL is just stupid and would be easily noticed if they actually tested the game for five minutes. I want to play the game right now, but I can't if I want to have at least some form of a challenge.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Node posted:

tested the game for five minutes.

Literally all that I'm asking for from the devs

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Eric the Mauve posted:

Archers, archers and more archers. Even better if you can get someone Welsh with high Martial to command them.

So should I just spam the skirmish retinue? I get 200 archers and 50 heavy infantry with that.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Node posted:

The amount of bugs that are so blatant in the recent DLCs (Rajas of India was just pitiful) is really disappointing me.

The event spam, MTTH fuckery, and levy problem that turns nations docile in WoL is just stupid and would be easily noticed if they actually tested the game for five minutes. I want to play the game right now, but I can't if I want to have at least some form of a challenge.

You mean the problem that only affects the AI and that you'll only really notice if you know to look for it or you play for several hundred years and notice that the AI has been way too docile and figure it's not just an oddball game? Yeah sure 5 minutes of playing totally would have fixed that.

I mean I get that you're upset that there's a bug, but seriously it's not like it's an awful horrible thing for them to take a goddamn vacation. At least with paradox you can trust that there will eventually be a patch, plenty of companies(and to be fair the less popular paradox games) will introduce a major bug and then just never fix it. The sheer number of patches and content that's been added to CK2 ever since it's release allows me to forgive them for some minor problems and not bitch and moan at them constantly every time they get something wrong(which occurs frequently because it turns out constantly changing and adding things can cause other things to break! Who knew?)..

Zeron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 30, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zeron posted:

I mean I get that you're upset that there's a bug, but seriously it's not like it's an awful horrible thing for them to take a goddamn vacation.

I think people are more angry at the fact that they released new content that's buggy right at the start of their holiday vacation so we have to wait until the 5th just to get an actual response from them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zeron posted:

it turns out constantly changing and adding things can cause other things to break! Who knew?

Well, not Paradox, because they released this thing that was obviously going to need a patch (because everything they release does), and probably very soon, right before their holiday break.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

Well, not Paradox, because they released this thing that was obviously going to need a patch (because everything they release does), and probably very soon, right before their holiday break.
Would you rather not have WoL till the second week in january?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

awesmoe posted:

Yes. Not sure what your point here is. I don't need to have everything NOW.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Spaseman posted:

So should I just spam the skirmish retinue? I get 200 archers and 50 heavy infantry with that.

Here's a link with "optimal" retinue setups, as of 2.2.

The best setup is mostly Longbow (if English/Welsh) or Skirmish with some Defense and Light Skirmish mixed in. Try to scrounge up an English or Welsh commander if possible so you can get the Massive Volley tactic. If you're Italian or Scottish, you can also go all-pikes (but have some levies around for sieges, since siege progress is based on Skirmish rating, and pikes don't have much of that). Arabic all-Camel Cavalry retinues are also pretty good in battles.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheMcD posted:

I'm pissed off that it's not WaD because it's really loving good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If they held it back, I wouldn't know what I'm missing.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

Interesting. I think most people would rather have the DLC 3 or 4 weeks earlier, even with a serious (not gamebreaking) bug.

(also its kind of iffy but nobody - nobody - intentionally misses a christmas ship date just because there are probably some bugs. Especially when it's going to be a steam daily deal)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheMcD posted:

Well, yeah, because the bug was introduced in 2.3.

I'm on 2.3 and I have not noticed my game being affected by the bug. As a data point, I have WoL but not Charlemagne.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Zeron posted:

The sheer number of patches and content that's been added to CK2 ever since it's release allows me to forgive them for some minor problems and not bitch and moan at them constantly every time they get something wrong(which occurs frequently because it turns out constantly changing and adding things can cause other things to break! Who knew?)..

yeah what the gently caress is up with these entitled dipshits? "i wish they'd tested and found the game breaking bug i have to wait weeks to be fixed before release" oh boo loving hoo you loving whiner, they added a bunch of poorly balanced features to the game so who cares that there's a minor issue where the AI becomes permanently unable to declare war.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'm on 2.3 and I have not noticed my game being affected by the bug. As a data point, I have WoL but not Charlemagne.

I'm on 2.3, have WoL but not Charlemagne and most definitely have noticed my game being affected by the bug. It really is a gamefucker.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

actually it is only a minor issue that the AI cannot perform the most important diplomatic act in the game. please refer to previous posts in this thread.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

awesmoe posted:

Interesting. I think most people would rather have the DLC 3 or 4 weeks earlier, even with a serious (not gamebreaking) bug.
What? No, not at all. I would rather wait and spend money on a product that's undergone some reasonable testing, not a broken mess that I end up shelving anyway. The way Paradox has been running shop lately somehow manages to be worse than the Early Access trend: at least with EA I know that I'm putting money down on an unfinished product.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
:bravo: modders

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363971019&searchtext=

quote:

TWEAKS/ADDITIONS:

*Catholics can sacrifice, hold blots, blind and castrate both genders, intermarry as well as do the 'Divine Blood' thing

*Made many more things possible for incest and lesbians
*Homosexual females are able to have intercourse with other females and impregnate them/get impregnated by them

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
e^^^ FINALLY. My game as the gay voodoo empress of texas was just not complete until I was able to cuck my uncle by banging my twin sister and impregnating her/me simultaneously.
e2: I'd like to take this time to plug for After the End--the only CK2 mod where you can rule an empire not only through seduction, but also by turning your vassals into brain-dead puppets. After the End: Voodoo Economics Work

Also you can totally find a gun and an in battle an event may fire where you kill off some random unfortunate count/duke/king and you become known as the Thunderhand or the Firebringer. Be a real Minnesota Viking and use guns.

BBJoey posted:

actually it is only a minor issue that the AI cannot perform the most important diplomatic act in the game. please refer to previous posts in this thread.

Actually, it represents the historical reality of how most medieval polities were hard pressed to go to war because their soldiers were forever trapped in a Grand Tourney event.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 30, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that a bug preventing the AI from declaring war is a minor bug. Something that bad is clearly a massive problem.

A few people (myself included) have said they haven't noticed it yet, because in my case at least, there are still wars going on all over the place.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, but if it's more than 50 years in and you take a moment to check you'll see they're all revolts.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Already been taken down.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SeaTard posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that a bug preventing the AI from declaring war is a minor bug. Something that bad is clearly a massive problem.

Zeron posted:

The sheer number of patches and content that's been added to CK2 ever since it's release allows me to forgive them for some minor problems and not bitch and moan at them constantly every time they get something wrong(which occurs frequently because it turns out constantly changing and adding things can cause other things to break! Who knew?)..

:shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think it's fair to criticize--hell, to crush--Paradox for scheduling a two week all-staff vacation immediately after a new DLC release, when they know very well that every new DLC release introduces at least one gamefucking bug.

But let's face it, we also know very well that every new DLC release introduces at least one gamefucking bug, so if we didn't see this coming we're just naive.

I'm content to just play other games for a few weeks.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

nutranurse posted:

e^^^ FINALLY. My game as the gay voodoo empress of texas was just not complete until I was able to cuck my uncle by banging my twin sister and impregnating her/me simultaneously.
e2: I'd like to take this time to plug for After the End--the only CK2 mod where you can rule an empire not only through seduction, but also by turning your vassals into brain-dead puppets. After the End: Voodoo Economics Work

Also you can totally find a gun and an in battle an event may fire where you kill off some random unfortunate count/duke/king and you become known as the Thunderhand or the Firebringer. Be a real Minnesota Viking and use guns.

In my Empire of Great Jersey game, I rolled with Enatic only and had Empress Misty the Firebringer and Empress Summer Thunderhand. I cucked many husbands and made my own Ursuline Anti-Abbess-General, then vassalized Cap-Diamant and legitimized my girl.

#aftertheend4lyfe

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm content to just play other games for a few weeks.

That doesn't really solve anything though because the next DLC will just introduce some other glaring issue.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

That doesn't really solve anything though because the next DLC will just introduce some other glaring issue.

Indeed it will. Next time I'll just stay rolled back to before that patch until after it gets fixed. I mean... it's Paradox, we know what we're getting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Didn't the first Crusader Kings need a patch on release day, otherwise it'd crash during loading?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

nutranurse posted:

Actually, it represents the historical reality of how most medieval polities were hard pressed to go to war because their soldiers were forever trapped in a Grand Tourney event.

the never ending courier/vassal crippling tourneys was the best bug

if i roll back to 2.2.x and start a new iron man game can i keep playing it when i update to the patch to fix the levy issue? will it still count as iron man and enable WoL content?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Didn't the first Crusader Kings need a patch on release day, otherwise it'd crash during loading?

That was old Paradox though. Both EUIV and CK2 were quite functional on release. CK2 was quite threadbare compared to the CK2 of today but it was still a fun game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

YouTuber posted:

That was old Paradox though. Both EUIV and CK2 were quite functional on release. CK2 was quite threadbare compared to the CK2 of today but it was still a fun game.

Absolutely, I'm just thinking that as bad as some of these bugs are, still better than old Paradox.

I just got Charlemagne and Way of Life, and updated my mods, so this is the first time I've booted it up since Charlemagne came out.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Though the can't-release-levies thing is pretty bad, bug-wise, it's also one of those things you wouldn't notice unless you were in the specific right circumstances. They could have playtested a lot and never caught it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Has anyone else gotten the bug where the entire world becomes permanently hostile to you? I inherited some land from my son now literally every holding in the world is in red and their troops can attack me. I'm not in any current wars or being raided.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
It's just disappointing after EU4 and CK2 had much better releases than previous Paradox games to feel like it's sliding back to previous standards. At least we won't have to wait months for it to be playable. The xmas vacation timing is unfortunate but understandable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zeron posted:

You mean the problem that only affects the AI and that you'll only really notice if you know to look for it or you play for several hundred years and notice that the AI has been way too docile and figure it's not just an oddball game? Yeah sure 5 minutes of playing totally would have fixed that.

I mean I get that you're upset that there's a bug, but seriously it's not like it's an awful horrible thing for them to take a goddamn vacation. At least with paradox you can trust that there will eventually be a patch, plenty of companies(and to be fair the less popular paradox games) will introduce a major bug and then just never fix it. The sheer number of patches and content that's been added to CK2 ever since it's release allows me to forgive them for some minor problems and not bitch and moan at them constantly every time they get something wrong(which occurs frequently because it turns out constantly changing and adding things can cause other things to break! Who knew?)..

The five minute thing is, mostly, hyperbole. Yes, I expect them to play the game. You know, test it. Make a finished product before asking people to buy it.

awesmoe posted:

Is this a rhetorical question? Yes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Average Bear posted:

Has anyone else gotten the bug where the entire world becomes permanently hostile to you? I inherited some land from my son now literally every holding in the world is in red and their troops can attack me. I'm not in any current wars or being raided.

If you have norse vassals I think they can raid freely unless you have the Crown Level that keeps them from declaring war.

I was also like "Why is everyone hostile to me" until I realized this. I have never seen an enemy retaliate for a raid by bringing their troops onto my turf though, so it hasn't affected me so far.

Except for the constant message spam telling me how my vassals are getting rich and fat plundering England.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Vengarr posted:

If you have norse vassals I think they can raid freely unless you have the Crown Level that keeps them from declaring war.

I was also like "Why is everyone hostile to me" until I realized this. I have never seen an enemy retaliate for a raid by bringing their troops onto my turf though, so it hasn't affected me so far.

Except for the constant message spam telling me how my vassals are getting rich and fat plundering England.

I have no norse vassals and I'm not exaggerating when I say every single person in the world is hostile to me. Even all of India.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Save and restart. It's a known bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

awesmoe posted:

Would you rather they'd released it in say October with whatever if anything they'd done by then and drip-fed it to you as it was actually developed? No, you want a finished product. That's all anyone is asking for.

• Locked thread