Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Iceclaw posted:

Could I get a hint regarding Evil Spirit floor 1? I found the hint regarding Shop class, Art class, Geometry and Science, but I'm not seeing how it really helps me for the Friday period. Am I missing something?

The whole thing is a repeating pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That was definitely my least favorite puzzle so far (up to 4-1), even if it wasn't the hardest. It just felt really stupid and I can't articulate why

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Zurai posted:

The whole thing is a repeating pattern.
:doh:
Motherfucker. I was looking at things like first letters and thematics and crap. Goddammit.
Thanks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are FoE based puzzles gonna be a thing? I'm not even past the first laby and I'm already tired of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

Are FoE based puzzles gonna be a thing? I'm not even past the first laby and I'm already tired of them.

Yes. I'm on the fourth and I'm over them. I just want to be done with the game but I'm close enough to the end I don't want to put it down.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Very much so, all the way through the end of the game. Of course you can always choose to just kill the FOE; there's only one circumstance where that doesn't work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is kind of the point of FOEs. They're enemies you need to figure out how to get past.

Unless you're playing Persona Q at which point they become guys you brutally murder while characters act like you puzzled to get past them. The first labyrinth is the only one where it's kinda iffy to kill them the first time you meet them, and only then because you kinda need Toxic Slash to wear down their HP instead of panic-stunlocking them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

That is kind of the point of FOEs. They're enemies you need to figure out how to get past.

Unless you're playing Persona Q at which point they become guys you brutally murder while characters act like you puzzled to get past them. The first labyrinth is the only one where it's kinda iffy to kill them the first time you meet them, and only then because you kinda need Toxic Slash to wear down their HP instead of panic-stunlocking them.

Impure reach Naoto can't hit poo poo with a tentarafoo. Neither can Yukiko. P3MC with his panic sword can't land a panic either.

I'm apparently the worst at this game because I can't just fight through FOEs and am stuck on Inaba Price floor 3 in e7 trying to figure out how the gently caress to get past the jumping assholes.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Len posted:

Impure reach Naoto can't hit poo poo with a tentarafoo. Neither can Yukiko. P3MC with his panic sword can't land a panic either.

I'm apparently the worst at this game because I can't just fight through FOEs and am stuck on Inaba Price floor 3 in e7 trying to figure out how the gently caress to get past the jumping assholes.

I found Poison to be more effective than Panic. You're guaranteed big chunks of flat damage compared to a dazed enemy that may sometimes hit themselves. If you can't take a hit from an FOE, then panic is probably better. However, if you can tank their hits, poison will help you kill an FOE much quicker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Kill them, there's only one spot where this does not invalidate the puzzle.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

I found Poison to be more effective than Panic. You're guaranteed big chunks of flat damage compared to a dazed enemy that may sometimes hit themselves. If you can't take a hit from an FOE, then panic is probably better. However, if you can tank their hits, poison will help you kill an FOE much quicker.

Panic isn't for making the FOEs hit themselves, it's for setting their evasion to 0% and preventing them from casting spells/using abilities. Poison is better early on because neither of those are as useful as a (for the time) large chunk of damage, but later on Panic is absolutely the best ailment. It essentially combines all three binds into one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zurai posted:

Panic isn't for making the FOEs hit themselves, it's for setting their evasion to 0% and preventing them from casting spells/using abilities. Poison is better early on because neither of those are as useful as a (for the time) large chunk of damage, but later on Panic is absolutely the best ailment. It essentially combines all three binds into one.
My PQ endboss fight: turn one, Yukari hits the boss with her 1-damage panic status bow, while everyone else it throwing buffs and debuffs. The boss therefore never gets the opportunity to use any of its gimmick special moves, and ends up dying a couple turns later having never landed a hit on my party.

Panic is absolutely loving broken.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Panic missed for me on the end boss, but then I killed it in two turns anyway so whatever.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...If it sticks, and lasts more than one turn. I have had that occur, and it trivialized my fight with the Old Doll in BF3 of the Evil Spirits Club. But it won't always work like that, which is why the difficulty curve seems to oscillate so much. I still haven't beaten the Fast Guys in Inaba Pride Festival. Am I underleveled? Poorly equipped? Lack information on their special moves & weaknesses? No. Panic just wore off right before they used the Power Charge/hit all combo. poo poo happens. :shrug:

It bothers me less than it otherwise might because I actually enjoy solving the FOE-related puzzles but it is a design flaw.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Panic not being perfect is not a design flaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic is already absurdly, hilariously, insanely overpowered and you even get an ability (Stagnant Air) which increases its duration. The fact it may take a couple of turns to stick is like the closest thing it has to a downside.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Panic not being perfect is not a design flaw.
No poo poo. I was referring to how much more effective it is than almost any other strategy. It's one thing to say working out the most effective strategy is part of the game, but if it's always the same strategy I think it's fair to question whether the designers thought it through all the way.

I mean, I'd expect to be running into mobs or FOEs that were immune at least ocassionally.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
They didn't include ailment resistances or immunity in this, which is a huge gaping flaw. If there's ever a PQ2, I strongly expect to see ailments nerfed, light/dark nerfed, magic buffed, and resistances as a whole played with.

One of the things that really threw me off from liking this too much was the fact that I don't think there's a single null on anything in the game besides light/dark, zero repel/drains, and not all that many resists. That's more EO, where things only resist stuff (sometimes taking almost no damage from it, but still), and it didn't really transition well for a game relying on the Persona systems.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's also weird that instant death counted as a status ailment in this game. That wasn't a thing in the EO series since 3. Impure Reach + Light/Dark wouldn't have been so ridiculously broken if it wasn't. Although it probably didn't help that lots of things were weak to those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's also weird that instant death counted as a status ailment in this game. That wasn't a thing in the EO series since 3. Impure Reach + Light/Dark wouldn't have been so ridiculously broken if it wasn't. Although it probably didn't help that lots of things were weak to those.

Even if it wasn't it'd still be crazy broken as there are an absurd amount of enemies weak to Hama, Mudo or both.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You know what was annoying? Those dice shadows in the last labyrinth that resisted everything except Light when I didn't have Naoto in the party. They also loved spamming all-party status effect spells.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just started the second labyrinth, and the limit of having only 14 sub-personas in my stock has been chafing for a while, especially as I now have more than 14 persona users. Will there be a way to expand the stock soon, or have I missed something obvious?

edit:

theshim posted:

Nope, 14's all you get. You're expected to pick a party and stick with it.

There is a mechanic for clearing out some of them, at least, that you unlock around halfway through the second labyrinth.

Dang, that stinks, though it makes a bit of sense. My problem is I don't want to get rid of much of my stock at this point because I currently have a bunch of personas with useful skills I want to build toward, and leveling them is going relatively slowly. Otherwise I'd be fusing like crazy. Thanks for the answer.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 30, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

minimalist posted:

Just started the second labyrinth, and the limit of having only 14 sub-personas in my stock has been chafing for a while, especially as I now have more than 14 persona users. Will there be a way to expand the stock soon, or have I missed something obvious?
Nope, 14's all you get. You're expected to pick a party and stick with it.

There is a mechanic for clearing out some of them, at least, that you unlock around halfway through the second labyrinth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What stat helps make tentarafoo hit? Because impure reach Naoto at level 51 just spammed 8 before it finally stuck to something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That just happens at times. Try Panic Circle instead as it'll automatically try to apply panic for three turns.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Len posted:

What stat helps make tentarafoo hit? Because impure reach Naoto at level 51 just spammed 8 before it finally stuck to something.

It appears to be a combination of Magic and Luck, and it may well be influenced directly by your level as well.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just wrapped the game up, after one-shotting the final boss with Chie. The fact that buffs/debuffs from multiple spells are multiplicative rather than additive makes multi-hit phys abilities insanely broken. Why yes, I would like to do eight straight crits with one move for 40k damage total, more than double the HP of anything in the game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the first boss, glad to see Naoto is still an annoying exposition fairy. :cripes:

I suppose that's my fault for picking the P4 side and man is it loving weird to hear blue jesus talking.

Now I have like a thousand dudes no idea who to use, def keeping Kanji and using Akihiko, not sure on the back row, is Aigis any good?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Beat the first boss, glad to see Naoto is still an annoying exposition fairy. :cripes:

I suppose that's my fault for picking the P4 side and man is it loving weird to hear blue jesus talking.

Now I have like a thousand dudes no idea who to use, def keeping Kanji and using Akihiko, not sure on the back row, is Aigis any good?
Aigis is a super good tank and solid overall. It's worth making sure the P3MC keeps up in levels, though, so if you're not using him you probably should stick the highest Growth accessory you have at any point on him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man I have no idea who to use right now, keeping Kanji for sure, not sure on blue jesus or Yukari.

Trying to go balanced here but I think my personas suck.

If I wanted to use blue jesus, what sort of sub should I give him anyway?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Who is blue jesus even supposed to be? P3MC?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDDr7gxan0

oh wow, someone decided to chuck the dangan ronpa characters into the persona Q intro and it looks really cool. Whoever did it must be really talented.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Man I have no idea who to use right now, keeping Kanji for sure, not sure on blue jesus or Yukari.

Trying to go balanced here but I think my personas suck.

If I wanted to use blue jesus, what sort of sub should I give him anyway?

the strongest one???

you change sub personas constantly

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Alteisen posted:

Aigis is--for my money---the best damage dealing party member in the game. No-one else even came close to her raw power on my playthrough. As an added bonus she gets two cool passive defensive abilities that are really nice to have on one party member in both rows.

As to whether she should go in the front or the back, it depends on whether the physical skill on her sub-Persona is listed as ML or RN. By the mid-point of the game, everybody will be best suited in the back row, but two poor schmucks have to be on the front lines.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of Aigis, which Persona gives up the Runic Shield skill card? Or even just a list of Persona with the skill itself would work. I had Titania on her when the rest of the party was using stuff 15 levels higher because I hated to give that skill up. It saved my rear end so many times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

Speaking of Aigis, which Persona gives up the Runic Shield skill card? Or even just a list of Persona with the skill itself would work. I had Titania on her when the rest of the party was using stuff 15 levels higher because I hated to give that skill up. It saved my rear end so many times.

It comes from Odin, so not til level 72, unfortunately.

As for Personas with the skill, after Titania you have Queen Mab (24), then it's a huge jump to Norn at 66, before Odin.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 30, 2014

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Wow, I unlocked the quest to go get the orb in You In Wonderland, and immediately took it. Killed the Golden Beetle with almost no trouble because Kanji kept goddamn critting it during Swift Strike, with a combination of Agilao from P3MC and Poison Damage. Seriously, Kanji just keeps critting like goddamn crazy, and his Luck isn't even that high. I'm a little scared of my party. I do wish I could get rid of Yu though, he's easily the weakest link of my team.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

It comes from Odin, so not til level 72, unfortunately.

As for Personas with the skill, after Titania you have Queen Mab (24), then it's a huge jump to Norn at 66, before Odin.

Also remember Oberon getting that as their last skill, so I think he's the earliest you can get it. Of course by the time you get near Odin levels, Aigis may have gotten her last skill, which would render the point moot for her.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'm about 35 hours in and about to finish Inaba Pride Exhibit Floor 2. I find this game to have some of my favourite Etrian Odyssey-style dungeons thus far, as while Evil Spirit Club nearly drove me crazy a couple of times I was really happy with the variety of puzzles and the means of solving them.

The dungeons in general have great antepieces and my only surprise is the fact that hidden shortcuts are so essential to the dungeon designs that they have to be made super obvious. Back in the first few Etrian Odysseys the shortcuts were entirely optional and as such were camouflaged by identical tilesets and a lack of characters shouting about how weird the walls looked.

Current party makeup is Front: P3 Protagonist/Chie Back: Naoto/Zen+Rei/Yukari. Naoto is mostly there for being an instant win button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

steakmancer posted:

the strongest one???

you change sub personas constantly

It's not exactly often, you want skills more than you do anything else and not everything will transfer. Think I had on average one sub persona per dungeon.

• Locked thread