Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Pressed/torched the bushings out of my lower control arms and press in some poly. sooooooooooo worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Installed new front pads/rotors/brake wear sensor on the Mini. When your wife says the brakes have a slight shudder, what she really means is the car violently shakes under slight braking. Old rotors were seriously worn and the pads were cracked. Looked like it might have been caused by heavy braking this last summer (115+ ambient temps). I think I am going to be safe and do the rears as well...

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Spent an hour trying to get a very hard to reach dead o2 sensor out of the Stagea and managed to completely mangle most of it beyond recognition without removing it.

After 20 minutes of shopping I found a specialty o2 22mm socket for 12 bucks and combined with a small extender and a 1/2 inch rachet, came out in record time. I spent more time wiring the new one in.

Well I guess I'm sorted if I still have the wagon in another 40,000km and have to swap it out again.. :rolleyes:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Skyline is gone (unless the mechanical inspection goes horribly wrong)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mister Kingdom posted:

Replaced the headlight and side marker light. It cost $52 for the lights and took me 20 minutes to swap out. I wonder what it would have cost if I had taken it to a garage (I figure at least triple the price for the parts and an hour of labor)?

Of course, now I'll need to replace the other side, because:

New headlights make a car look SO much better.
For $50 it's not even worth the effort in trying to fix the other headlight with a kit. It might still be yellow when it's all said and done.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I installed a new Denso oxygen sensor on my 2000 Corolla today because the Bosch one caused all kind of drivability problems.

Pissed me off something fierce because the (WELDED ON) Flange wouldn't fit under the spring bolt that holds the manifold to the downpipe.

My solution was to file that bastard down. As in, take a metal file and make the flange smaller. Hand filing metal takes a while, let me tell you.

Maybe no more DTCs now :/ I hate having codes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You need an angle grinder.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

kastein posted:

You need an angle grinder.

An angle grinder and a bench vise. Kind of hard to just hold it with your foot or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vanagoon posted:

An angle grinder and a bench vise. Kind of hard to just hold it with your foot or something.

Psh. You girl.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Rhyno posted:

Psh. You girl.

I like my toes. Specifically, I like still having all of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vanagoon posted:

Fine. Use your teeth then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Vanagoon posted:

You need steel toe boots.

and an angle grinder

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I installed a tach today. It works, but I'm not too thrilled with it. But for 13 bucks I shouldn't be surprised.

Rhyno posted:

Psh. You girl.

Oh good, I thought I was alone in the "my foot is a vice" camp.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New headlights make a car look SO much better.
For $50 it's not even worth the effort in trying to fix the other headlight with a kit. It might still be yellow when it's all said and done.

I said gently caress it and ordered the replacement set. Now the car will have nice shiny bright eyes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I said gently caress it and ordered the replacement set. Now the car will have nice shiny bright eyes.

I'm surprised those are plastic - my flatmate has the same shape Camry in a different market and the lenses are still glass

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Remember kids, something isn't broken until you've tried hitting it and jabbing it with a needle, like the windshield washer fluid on my pickup.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Speaking of which, I parked under a tree and when I went to wiper-fluid my windshield it had no pressure and then no water.

pulled into a service station and poured in what was probably around 10L before I realised that it wasnt filling up (its a big tank, so it wasnt out of the ordinary)

Then I noticed water loving everywhere :downs:

I wonder how it even got a hole in the tank big enough to drain 10L faster than I can fill it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I tell you, it was absolutely glorious, I went to the gas station and filled the drivers side tank. Which means I now have both tanks full of gas for the first time in a year at least.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Today I flushed my brake fluid with ATE and reinstalled the factory pads. I had put on a set of EBC yellowstuff for a track day.

Bit toasty

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yerok posted:

The 22RE in my 1986 Toyota blew the head gasket today at 148k. How is that even possible? Buying a head gasket kit and trying to get it done tomorrow.

Make sure you actually blew the head gasket. I replaced the head gasket in my girlfriend's (now wife) '78 Celica because it was burping up chocolate milkshake through the PCV Turned out the loving Pep Boys water pump had gone bad in less than 6 moths and drilled a hole in the back of the water pump housing, which on a 20R happens to be the front of the timing cover. I was extremely pissed about spending the time to do the gasket and then still having milkshake...

Hers still ran OK - I just assumed that the gasket had eroded between the water jacket and the oil passages. If yours is running like it's got a bad cylinder, that I imagine that the head gasket is actually the problem.

I wish we had kept that car - '78 Celica ST coupe. Sold it for like $300 when we bought her '96 Sonoma. Solid car (we put in a used Japanese 18RG-U to replace the 20R after the milkshake. Ran great.)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Chriskory posted:

Today I flushed my brake fluid with ATE and reinstalled the factory pads. I had put on a set of EBC yellowstuff for a track day.

Bit toasty

I've had two friends run EBC pads on the track and pretty well ruined them in one event. I don't think I'm ever even going to try their product after what I've seen.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I keep forgetting to post this stuff so not all of this was done in the same day.
Used one of those headlight restoring kits so the plastic isn't all cloudy anymore, changed out the plugs and wires, and replaced the second of the four motor mounts.

If it stops raining it might be dry enough outside for me to do another motor mount this weekend.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Nothing too major, but I replaced the sway bar end links on the s2k. It had a terrible clunking coming from the rear from a loose end link with a blown rubber boot. A small amount of work later the clunking is gone. Now I have to clean up the headlights and get it inspected, and then I'm going to diagnose what I think is an oil leak coming from a vtec solenoid the PO replaced. It appears the gaskets can be hard to come by without purchasing a new solenoid, so finding that bit will be fun.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Curb rash on the left rear wheel. I found myself next to an RSX on an unfamiliar on-ramp, with a lane merge after a right-hand turn. The RSX braked, so I had to commit, and while trying to give us extra space I rubbed the curb. The powdercoat is chipped and the wheel is scraped about 2/3 around.

Oh well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Clutch in my truck has been weird recently, and I think I just got it sorted out. What it has been doing is engaging at different points when I bring the pedal back up; every shift was an adventure for whether the engagement point would be down on the floor, way up at the top, or somewhere in between. The fun part was when it would decide to "adjust" itself as I was trying to slip the clutch, effectively leading to me dropping the clutch when really I was applying the clutch steadily.

At first I thought it was the clutch master cylinder leaking and introducing air into the hydraulics (I singled out the master because I had already rebuilt the slave), but when I put a rebuild kit in it it had no effect on these symptoms.

I noticed that the return spring for the clutch fork was actually two springs in series, and that if I pushed on the fork I could shove the slave cylinder "in" a bit more than it had been resting. I looked up how the return spring is supposed to be, and it's supposed to be a single spring with a long "wire" at the end, like a drum brake return spring scaled up. I guess the PPO (PO was my dad, and I know he wouldn't attempt a fix like this) broke the original special-shaped spring, and replaced it with two springs so he could get it all to reach. Well, two springs in series acts like a weaker single spring, so I thought maybe it wasn't exerting enough force on the clutch fork. So I ran a bolt through one of the (compressed) springs, with a couple stacked washers at each end, and a nut. This kept the one spring from expanding, so the other spring does all the work.

Turns out that's exactly what it needed; works great now. Engages at the right point every time.

Now I just have to find a source for an axle shaft that nobody makes...

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I got to drive in snow with snow tires for the first time ever. Learned to drive in Maine, lived in Mass and Rhode Island, never thought I needed them. Holy poo poo what a difference. I drove home with zero problems, wondering why everyone was losing their poo poo. Had to listen to my girlfriend bitch about how awful the roads were when I hadn't really noticed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Helped a 20-year-old kid in the local RX-7 group partially rebuild the front end on his '79 RX-7, which he inherited from his dad, who bought it new.
He's managing a lot of stuff by himself, but while he has access to some tools, his dad is more of a woodworker. He managed to do the springs and struts OK by himself, woth some coaching over the phone and internet, but was a bit lost with doing the control arm, sway bar bushings, and the radius rod bushings.He had to replace the control arm because the thin stamped steel on the '7s doesn't like it if you don't press the ball joint out and in juuuuuust right, and you end up with a loose ball joint fit, which he did. He can have that one tack welded as a backup, later, but for now we just put in a complete control arm (which is the way the manual wants you to do it anyway.)
No real problems, fortunately. We're in north Texas, so rust on fasteners isn't really an issue, EXCEPT the dang spacer tube on the end links rusted to the long bolt. On one side, we just let it go with the control arm, but I had to cut the other one off at the control arm end. New ones are nice Energy Suspension pieces (as are all the bushings) with coated parts, so he should be OK in the future.
I had to teach him the trick of making low ramps out of 2x6 lumber (actually, mine are 2x12s) to roll the car onto in order to get a jack under a slightly-too-low car, at least until he gets a shorter jack. The new Racing Beat springs lowered the car enough that his regular jack wouldn't quite fit.

It's a nice car. It needs a paint refresh, but is in very good shape, and is almost painfully stock. He's doing a little bit of modding on the suspension, but the majority of the car is to remain stock. A little more stock than I would aim for, but I'll take that over ricing out a very nice original car. He's also acquired and '80 that's been hacked up a bit, so he's going to go nuts on that one - widebody, turbo 13B, etc.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

StormDrain posted:

I tell you, it was absolutely glorious, I went to the gas station and filled the drivers side tank. Which means I now have both tanks full of gas for the first time in a year at least.

According to the news here, petrol is the cheapest it's been since Two Thousand and Motherfucking Six. It goes against everything I know about economics. Prices go up - that's the way prices go!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I put a new rear passenger door on it and bought a driver fender, both matching factory paint!

Oh, and low gas prices... opec is broken, a surge in domestic production (probably temporary, who knows how long fracked wells are going to produce for), unexpectedly low demand, and presto, sudden low gas prices. Don't expect it to hold.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my 15 dollar commute in the subaru a lot more than what it was previously, a 30 to 40 dollar commute in a jeep that rode like a paintshaker which had decided to become a tie fighter when it grew up.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Warmed it up and cleaned all the snow and ice off it so I could move it to shovel the driveway. Backed it out just fine but it absolutely refused to move forward when I went to move it back. I had no choice but to crawl under the drat thing in the middle of the recently plowed yet still snowy and frozen street to release the frozen stuck parking brake. There was barely enough room to blindly swing a small hammer at the levers where the cables attach but it eventually worked and I was able to move it again.

It sucked terribly but I'm really glad I endured it tonight instead of tomorrow morning when I have to leave for work. I'm hoping it was just frozen because of the weather and not some other issue, I'll be checking it out tomorrow to be sure.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Changed the front rotors, pads, pins, springs and retaining clips. It took 3 trips to oreilly's because they gave me the wrong parts twice. Normally I would look up the part numbers on rockauto and order using amazon prime, but I wanted to get the parts today.

doogle
May 24, 2003

The beater broke down driving to Charlotte, good thing it broke down right next to an O'Reilly's that happened to have the correct distributor in stock. In fact, it was the only store to have it in a 45 mile radius.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Changed the drums, shoes, and springs for the rear brakes. Those return springs are a loving pain to hold onto while stretching them and trying to get them into the little holes in the shoes. gently caress you drum brakes.
gently caress
you

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just changed the serp belt, and water pump on my buddy's E46

Now mine's making a noise. Goddamn jealous Ford.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Changed the drums, shoes, and springs for the rear brakes. Those return springs are a loving pain to hold onto while stretching them and trying to get them into the little holes in the shoes. gently caress you drum brakes.
gently caress
you

This was about 60% of the motivation for the rear disc swap on my Focus.

gently caress drum brakes forever, they belong where they came from - in the first half of the 20th century.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Geoj posted:

This was about 60% of the motivation for the rear disc swap on my Focus.

gently caress drum brakes forever, they belong where they came from - in the first half of the 20th century.

Rear discs were optional for these when they were new so I know the parts exist, but I don't know how difficult it would be to swap.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress
you

Before I ever touch drums again, I'm buying this. My rear drums definitely need attention, the right rear locks up if you sneeze too hard (and grinds occasionally). But :effort:...

I think the rear disc option on my car was only on the Red Line, which had 5 bolt hubs. So I'd have to swap the front hubs to 5 bolt as well, then find wheels. I have 4 lug wheels now (that badly need refinishing).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

Before I ever touch drums again, I'm buying this. My rear drums definitely need attention, the right rear locks up if you sneeze too hard (and grinds occasionally). But :effort:...

I think the rear disc option on my car was only on the Red Line, which had 5 bolt hubs. So I'd have to swap the front hubs to 5 bolt as well, then find wheels. I have 4 lug wheels now (that badly need refinishing).

If you're not using the right tools of course you're going to hate drum brakes. Sure, everything takes longer to deal with, but the pads last so much longer that it all evens out.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

gently caress
you

What were you using for tools? I did a rear parking brake on my old e46 with visegrips once. Nearly broke my own nose.