Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Doc Thunder has been hired by FW!? Ghost Hand, please give us the inside scoop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

You guys are hamming it up right. That table is really nice looking while still allowing a lot of play. How did you do the landing strip?

I've got three games with three different folks scheduled between now and the 4th, and I'm pretty excited about it. The only war or ham I've gotten up to over the past few weeks was beating my sister at Monopoly for the first time in 24 years and having ham for dinner on Christmas.

Thanks! The strip was easy--just four sheets of plasticard, painted black with some grit painted on for texture. The logos were done freehand (but would probs have been easier to do as stencils), then I dusted the edges with desert color and used some black to do weathering on the numbers/aquila.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks! The strip was easy--just four sheets of plasticard, painted black with some grit painted on for texture. The logos were done freehand (but would probs have been easier to do as stencils), then I dusted the edges with desert color and used some black to do weathering on the numbers/aquila.

That's awesome. I'm going to have to do that this week, I have many styrene sheets waiting for a project.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
This guy 1) uses Rough Riders 2) has them mounted on reindeer. That is all (and it rules).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1V8nw7WHA&t=164s

Big Willy Style posted:

To mop the floors?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So I just picked up the first of two White Dwarf magazines with the Cities of Death cards in it.

Is Cities of Death seriously just different objective cards now, no other special rules?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Reynold posted:

So I just picked up the first of two White Dwarf magazines with the Cities of Death cards in it.

Is Cities of Death seriously just different objective cards now, no other special rules?

I asked about the cards a couple of days ago but no one answered. I'll be getting them this week though. There are rules in the Leviathan book but I don't know if they're updated or not.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Safety Factor posted:

This just showed up in the latest Forge World bulletin:

:confused: What? :confused:

Edit: What we can see of the top half basically looks like what would happen if the Imperium built a Mad Cat. Giant autocannons, entombed corpse-pilot, and all. I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Reimagining of the Deredo Class Dreadnought from RT.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So GW is sending me some 32mm bases because 1 was missing from my new BA tac squad kit, pretty nice. I think I'll put these old unpainted death company I have sitting here on the extras. What would be a good way to remove them from their old 25mm bases? They're superglued, so at least it's not plastic glue.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ghost Hand posted:

Reimagining of the Deredo Class Dreadnought from RT.

But what does it do?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

But what does it do?

Spend its entire time bent over double just to be able to see anything, presumably.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

This just showed up in the latest Forge World bulletin:

:confused: What? :confused:

Edit: What we can see of the top half basically looks like what would happen if the Imperium built a Mad Cat. Giant autocannons, entombed corpse-pilot, and all. I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Totally want to orkify that into a Metal Gear Rex.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Got an Imperial Sector in the mail today. Really enjoying putting it together, actually.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

So GW is sending me some 32mm bases because 1 was missing from my new BA tac squad kit, pretty nice. I think I'll put these old unpainted death company I have sitting here on the extras. What would be a good way to remove them from their old 25mm bases? They're superglued, so at least it's not plastic glue.

if it's super glue you should be able to just wiggle and snap em off. If that's too hard, pop them in the freezer it'll make the glue more brittle

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Cataphract posted:

if it's super glue you should be able to just wiggle and snap em off. If that's too hard, pop them in the freezer it'll make the glue more brittle

You can also slide an exacto blade under the foot and slice them off, but don't slip and destroy your fingertips.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Had a fun game with my buddy today, even if it was an absolute massacre. By the end of turn 5 I had units on all five objectives, first blood, slay the warlord, linebreaker, and all he had left was a Valkyrie. It was the kind of game where he dropped a 10-man stormtrooper squad in rapid fire range of my Devastators and didn't manage to kill a single guy. My Assault Marines ran straight at his Punisher, which shot them for three turns straight in addition to a Ratling squad and a squad that was FRFSRF-ing at them, and I didn't lose a single man. It took the power fist on his platoon commander to kill two guys before getting powerfisted himself. There was also a really cool gang fight between my command squad and his company command squad that culminated in his Lord Commissar and Sicarius duking it out in single combat. Sicarius won, although not without taking a wound. Hopefully it won't take us another 6 years before we have another game :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Middle marine looks so dejected.

"Sarge never lets ME kill the heretics. :smith: "

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More battle pictures! The diamacharoen was a champ, clearing a lot of huge necron units. The orks... didn't really help that much. No nobs in the boys units, no guns on the battlewagon that was immobilized on terrain first turn. You can see the trukk next to it which was immobilized on terrain as well. Though a blitz bomba did take out a necron doomscythe! In the top picture you can almost see my flyrant behind the droppod, taking out Mepheston before getting thunderhammered in the face.

You can't see them very well, but I'm using the objective markers that Germ made in his terrain kickstarter! They work great!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Got an Imperial Sector in the mail today. Really enjoying putting it together, actually.

I put mine together with the intention of fitting everything onto the Forge World city tiles. Since the buildings ended up relatively small as a result, I had enough extra pieces to make one additional building at the end. The only thing I didn't care for was how difficult they made it to cut out some of the doors.

ALSO

Glue a penny to the underside of the lamp posts before priming and BAM extra scenery bits to put wherever.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
The new FW dread almost looks halfway to a Space Crusade dreadnought. I could see it as the starting point before chaos warped it into the end product, merging the head into the chest.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Im trying to do a bit of wishlisting for 2015 with Warhammer, and I've had my eye on a Fire Raptor for absolutely ages as its *such* a gorgeous kit.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party flying bases which might be a bit more "heavy duty" than the standard one? I take one look at that FR and I know I'm going to need a decent strong stand. UK based.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The fire raptor is fine on the normal flying base.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

The fire raptor is fine on the normal flying base.

Good to know, thanks. Just looked a bit large from the pictures.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I have discovered a new hell. Assembling the vent pieces of the Tyrannocyte is Ghost Ark levels of assembly agony. I really hope I only ever get one of these. :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Im trying to do a bit of wishlisting for 2015 with Warhammer, and I've had my eye on a Fire Raptor for absolutely ages as its *such* a gorgeous kit.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party flying bases which might be a bit more "heavy duty" than the standard one? I take one look at that FR and I know I'm going to need a decent strong stand. UK based.

Just a heads-up, make sure that if you order a Fire Raptor it comes with all of its parts. I got one a few months ago and it was missing the clear canopy and its flying base. Forge World took a while to respond to me, but they eventually sent out replacements. It seems like they were pretty overloaded in November.

I still need to build that thing. :smith:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

I have discovered a new hell. Assembling the vent pieces of the Tyrannocyte is Ghost Ark levels of assembly agony. I really hope I only ever get one of these. :(

When I did my three last month I managed to invent several new and exciting swear words. It didn't help that after some months of only building resin models, my poly cement had long since dried up and I had to use super-glue. At one point I thought I was doomed to forever have tiny plastic funnels attached to my fingertips.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was bashing together some old bitz yesterday, ripping outdated models apart and gluing stuff together on a whim. I realized I still have a kustom force field and a warbike that aren't doing much in the box, and was thinking about converting up a warbike mek with KFF. Anyone used one of these? It seems like a decent workaround to the problem of not being able to use the KFF properly when you're in a vehicle.

Should I have a big mek cruise around with my battlewagons on a cycle? Is he just gonna get pasted by the first krak missile my enemy fires, or would he buy me a few turns of decent vehicle cover? He can take a killsaw too, which seems like it would give him decent utility as a vehicle hunter. It does come out to 140 points, though, which seems pretty steep.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hah, I bought some Necron Immortal bits from ebay thinking "yeah it's from Ukraine but I can see where it was clipped off the sprue". Nope, counterfeits. More fool me.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I was bashing together some old bitz yesterday, ripping outdated models apart and gluing stuff together on a whim. I realized I still have a kustom force field and a warbike that aren't doing much in the box, and was thinking about converting up a warbike mek with KFF. Anyone used one of these? It seems like a decent workaround to the problem of not being able to use the KFF properly when you're in a vehicle.

Should I have a big mek cruise around with my battlewagons on a cycle? Is he just gonna get pasted by the first krak missile my enemy fires, or would he buy me a few turns of decent vehicle cover? He can take a killsaw too, which seems like it would give him decent utility as a vehicle hunter. It does come out to 140 points, though, which seems pretty steep.

IMO this seems nice, but is moderately expensive and a bit of a gimmick. He won't die to krak missiles (t5) but it depends what you're using him for. Sticking him with a block of warbikers is pretty tasty, but they get a 4+ cover save anyway. Meks with KFF are probably better with the footsloggers.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

If you just want shielding for your wagons, 125 points gets you five rokkit buggies to drive in front and give cover save. The survivors can go flank enemy vehicles or something. Buggies are great.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The CSM Chosen in DV aren't a multi-part kit, right? They're just snap-fit?

What's a good source of similar looking stuff? I want to work on some Crimson Slaughter stuff, but I'd really hate to have sweet looking elite troops and then...the loving Chaos Space Marine kit.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

He is a sitting target. T5, 2 wounds... not too difficult to kill and that will leave the guns to fire at a wagon. Wagons are tough and I wouldn't waste points trying to protect them.

Esser-Z posted:

If you just want shielding for your wagons, 125 points gets you five rokkit buggies to drive in front and give cover save. The survivors can go flank enemy vehicles or something. Buggies are great.

What this goon says. You can also use Deffkoptas which can jink and give themselves a save. If you run them in squads of 1 your opponent will waste a lot of firepower or ignore them.

Unless you are footslogging with Deffdreads and Kans a KFF is a waste of a HQ slot. Even then it is not an auto-include as there should be plenty of cover on the board and a KFF has a short range. You can have painboyz giving a squad fnp for 50pts or a Warboss with a PK who can kill poo poo.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Raphus C posted:

What this goon says. You can also use Deffkoptas which can jink and give themselves a save. If you run them in squads of 1 your opponent will waste a lot of firepower or ignore them.
Yeah, I want to try out deffkoptas sometime, but they're harder to get affordable, good miniatures for than buggies are*. Of course, I COULD just MAKE some, which is the proper orky way to do it. I'll add them to my list of projects, and try 'em out in Vassal next time I run orks there. It's not like I've got all my models in RL yet anyway.

I really need to work more on my orks. Need to figure out what I'm using for Battlewagons still. Thinking maybe one GW wagon, if only so I'm familiar with the dimensions, and two conversions of some kind. I like doing ork conversions.

*Mantic's Raptor trike is excellent for rokkit buggies, and why would you run them any other way? I guessss outflanking skorchas could murder infantry. Might have to try that sometime.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh, I've got buggies, 4 of them. I made them from these cool rickshaw toys my folks brought back from india. But i've got 4 transports [going on 5 if I ever decide I can afford the half-ute I've had my eyes on this year] and they're not really gonna be able to cover everything.

I didn't realize the +T applied to doubling-out, which is cool! overall it does seem like a usable but steep model, i'm just concerned that maybe my grand schemes of keeping him out of sight behind a battlewagon might be a little unrealistic.

It's hard to give you a solid list for what I'd run, because my army is still in its post-codex adjustment period [also I have a game with SRM coming up], but my entire collection looks like this right now:

Mawboss
SAG mek
Badrukk
Painboy
2 Weirdboyz
2 Meks
5 Manz
10 Tankbustas
5 Burnas
[12 'Ard Slugga Boyz] x2
20 Shoota Boyz
15 Gretchin
2 Rokkit buggies
2 Skorcha buggies [wanna convert some rockets to swap these out now that boyz squads can take kombi skorchas]
20 Stormboyz
15 Lootas
5 Flash Gitz
2 Battlewagons
2 Trukks
1 lovely old dreadnought with nothing to do

Actually any list advice would be great too. I can't decide if my shoota boyz deserve their battlewagon anymore now that they lose 8-10 dudes to an average explosion. Not sure how much anti-tank I need these days, and whether it is worth running some odd footsloggers to try and double up my CAD. But also the bike mek thing! Thanks in advance.

Esser-Z posted:

I really need to work more on my orks. Need to figure out what I'm using for Battlewagons still. Thinking maybe one GW wagon, if only so I'm familiar with the dimensions, and two conversions of some kind. I like doing ork conversions.

I bought this fucker in germany and he's the best battlewagon ever.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

If we're listing our orks, I've got:

Megaboss/Ghaz
Six Manz (planning to go up to fuckin' 15, running the Bully Boyz formation in wagons. They're fuckin' great)
Eighty Boyz (Mantic Marauder grunts. Got starter sets cheap)
Eight Burnaz
Eight Lootas (I bought bitz to make both from my two of that kit)
Two regular Meks
20 nobz (I got a set of nobz, then the ork half of Sanctus Reach, then some bodies to use up all the spare arms and heads)
Five Flash Gitz
A deff dread
Three kanz
Warboss on foot
Four buggies (I need more!)
However many grots came in the Sanctus Reach thing plus the grotherd
A WIP looted robot dinosaur (A Transmetal Megatron from Transformers Beast Wars that has robot mode parts broken off but works in beast mode, combined with some guns and armor poo poo. Not fully assembled yet)
POSSIBLY a looted Space Wolves dread--I got a free murderfang/etc kit and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet

I think that's everything! Most of it's not actually in my current army list, which consists of bullyboyz +megaboss in wagons, screening buggies, and a couple big mobs of boyz, but I rather enjoy modeling/painting orks.

EDIT: Oh MAN, I totally want to get one of those for a wagon. I'm also trying to find a firetruck model to convert just for display--going to give my burna boyz fire hats and have a Fire Trukk (which doesn't need to be Trukk sized, of course).

EDIT2: oh yeah, I also have a partially-built USS Constutition model in a closet. Need to pull it out and take inventory and stuff. Was my dad's. Going to mount it on treads and make it all orky.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 30, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

When I did my three last month I managed to invent several new and exciting swear words. It didn't help that after some months of only building resin models, my poly cement had long since dried up and I had to use super-glue. At one point I thought I was doomed to forever have tiny plastic funnels attached to my fingertips.

Here's my current workbench:

To paint before Crucible GT in late February:
Toxicrene
Hive Tyrant
Tyrannocyte
3 Mucolids
Harpy

I think I can do it. :ohdear:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I will take this excuse to post pictures of my army. Here is the last shot taken about 5 months ago:

It is copy pasted together but 90% of that has been painted thanks to the oath thread.

For cheap buggies I use Deffkoptas and landspeeders:

Here are some deffkoptas I put together:

These are based on bit of Robogear models and if you add Orks and blades (with some armourplates/wires) you get a good effect. You can always build them slightly bigger and use the deffkoptas as buggies when you want to change them up.

Checking my Imgur account, I have about 1,100 pics of my Orks.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Here's my current workbench:

To paint before Crucible GT in late February:
Toxicrene
Hive Tyrant
Tyrannocyte
3 Mucolids
Harpy

I think I can do it. :ohdear:

You're lucky you have a tournament to motivate you. This is what you end up with if there aren't any events to push things along: :gbsmith:

Bet you're finished first!

Although to put things in perspective, I started renovating my entire Tyranid collection last Xmas in preparation for the new codex. Everything in this list list has either been re-based, tidied up or fully painted since then:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

xtothez posted:

You're lucky you have a tournament to motivate you. This is what you end up with if there aren't any events to push things along: :gbsmith:

Bet you're finished first!

Although to put things in perspective, I started renovating my entire Tyranid collection last Xmas in preparation for the new codex. Everything in this list list has either been re-based, tidied up or fully painted since then:

Excellent use of Kanban Board :P

How is the drop pod to assemble?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Big Willy Style posted:

Sorry - who is Doc Thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I e-mailed Forgeworld about the Cortica Primus (the Mechanicum relic that is basically useless), and got a response about them allowing Magos Dominus to take it in their games, and how it may be intended for models not yet released. Based on how Ghost Hand describes the design process, though, this seems kind of unlikely.

I'm not sure, honestly, what the gently caress the point of it is, though. It both counts as a cortex controller and allows Cybertheurgy to affect entire units. The big issue is that it can't even be purchased by models who can use Cybertheurgy, as none of them are ICs. On the other hand, if it was designed to be used by models with the Cybertheurgy rule, why does it count as a cortex controller, as every model who has the Cybertheurgy rule already comes stock with a CC? It's just a mess of a design. Maybe at some point it was also intended to confer the Cybertheurgy rule, or something, but I'm just confused by the whole thing.

Ghost Hand posted:

Sorry - who is Doc Thunder?

Doc Thunder is that guy who makes gratuitous boob torsos for IG and Space Marines, IIRC.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread