Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

At poo poo rear end Stanford. He's going to be able to recruit everyone at Michigan. Nobody's NFL resume is even close to his, which is going to matter to kids who are looking towards the pros. Add that with how popular of a school Michigan is in college football, and I'd expect them to be a top 5 team pretty soon.

I think he'll be excellent and recruit well (which I also thought he did at poo poo rear end Stanford), just saying dominating the entirety of college football doesn't seem like a given no matter what his NFL resume is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but Stanford doesn't have the pedigree Michigan has. A lot of guys are going to want to be a part of the band getting back together in Michigan, just because of how iconic that team is. It'll be much easier there. And I definitely expect them to be among the top contenders for a National Championship on a regular basis after everyone gets established.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Who has it better than us? Nobody.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but Stanford doesn't have the pedigree Michigan has. A lot of guys are going to want to be a part of the band getting back together in Michigan, just because of how iconic that team is. It'll be much easier there. And I definitely expect them to be among the top contenders for a National Championship on a regular basis after everyone gets established.

everyone kid wants to be part of the team that gets regularly shithoused by an SEC or PAC-12 team in the playoffs every year, you're right

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

everyone kid wants to be part of the team that gets regularly shithoused by an SEC or PAC-12 team in the playoffs every year, you're right

Come on. Michigan is probably one of the 5 most recognizable teams in college football. Turning that around is something people are going to remember.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Notre Dame is THE most recognizable team in College Football, they're still poo poo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brian Kelly isn't the spark that Harbaugh is going to be.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Alouicious was the name of my first teddy bear.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Alouicious posted:

You're angry.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Michigan: still literally in the Big Ten

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Another upside of the Harbaugh hire: renewed fonts of raw seething Michigan hatred

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Linguica posted:

Another upside of the Harbaugh hire: renewed fonts of raw seething Michigan hatred

lol at anyone who stopped despising michigan just because they were bad

I'm really pissed my team was too lovely to loving beat Brady Goddamn Hoke because Harbaugh is going to completely annihilate us every time we play them and then he and Fitz are going to have a Dumb Sideline Gestures dance-off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I would like to personally thank the University of Notre Dame for educating Jed York and turning him into such an rear end in a top hat that he chased Jim Harbaugh out of the NFL and into Ann Arbor.

Much appreciated.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

You're angry.

Shouldn't every conversation that even remotely involves Harbaugh be conducted in ALL CAPS?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm not saying the font had stopped, just the pressure had gotten kind of low. Now the hatred can once again spurt forth with reckless abandon.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're hitting that level of delusion Det was at when he was all "THIS HAS BEEN IN PLAY SINCE SEPTEMBER"

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Deteriorata posted:

I would like to personally thank the University of Notre Dame for educating Jed York and turning him into such an rear end in a top hat that he chased Jim Harbaugh out of the NFL and into Ann Arbor.

Much appreciated.

ahahahahah the mental gymnastics is fun to watch. Poor angelic Jim Harbaugh, just a great coach trying to lead his team to a NFL championship, pushed out the door by mean guy Jed York. But alas, hope is not lost! A message from home, they need a Michigan Man like never before. I am bound to do it for the pride of Michigan. Oh it pays better than any other coach? Ok well I'll take it but that's not the reason!

He's a giant rear end in a top hat Det, the whole organization was sick of his poo poo. Look at what players did for Bo Pelini and what they didn't do for Harbaugh. The good news is that most college coaches are huge assholes and you just have to hope that the players don't get sick of his poo poo in the time they cycle through, and he wins enough that the people and boosters who deal with him on a daily basis can tolerate it. But don't try to paint it a different way. This is a successful coach getting shoved out the door because everyone was sick of him. And that's a pretty high threshold.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

go3 posted:

we're hitting that level of delusion Det was at when he was all "THIS HAS BEEN IN PLAY SINCE SEPTEMBER"

It has been. It's not my fault you weren't paying attention.

You may want to send your sarcasm meter in for some adjustment. I'm fully aware that Harbaugh is an abrasive rear end in a top hat. He's our abrasive rear end in a top hat now, though.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Calling it now. Jim fails hard at Michigan. In five years he will return to the NFL as a coordinator for brother John. His exit will be bitter and ugly ending with a he did they did fight with the Michigan administration

TFF when these prophesies come to pass remember HarlanHell was the first to tell you. Otherwise ignore this post.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

. Look at what players did for Bo Pelini and what they didn't do for Harbaugh.

Well this is complete bullshit. They dumped Gatorade on him when he won, gave him the game ball, tweeted and posted words of support for him after it was announced he was leaving. How is that any different than what they did for Pelini?

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

ahahahahah the mental gymnastics is fun to watch. Poor angelic Jim Harbaugh, just a great coach trying to lead his team to a NFL championship, pushed out the door by mean guy Jed York. But alas, hope is not lost! A message from home, they need a Michigan Man like never before. I am bound to do it for the pride of Michigan. Oh it pays better than any other coach? Ok well I'll take it but that's not the reason!

He's a giant rear end in a top hat Det, the whole organization was sick of his poo poo. Look at what players did for Bo Pelini and what they didn't do for Harbaugh. The good news is that most college coaches are huge assholes and you just have to hope that the players don't get sick of his poo poo in the time they cycle through, and he wins enough that the people and boosters who deal with him on a daily basis can tolerate it. But don't try to paint it a different way. This is a successful coach getting shoved out the door because everyone was sick of him. And that's a pretty high threshold.

He probably is an rear end in a top hat, and that is a welcome change from Brady Hoke, but the whole organization was not sick of his poo poo:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27220121/49ers-kaepernick-iupati-boldin-have-praise-harbaugh

quote:

"It's bittersweet," Kaepernick said after the 49ers beat the Arizona Cardinals 20-17. "I'm happy we got the win, happy we were able to get Frank (Gore) and Anquan (Boldin) to their milestones ... but Coach Harbaugh was the coach that drafted me, the coach that chose to start me. He's the coach that stood behind me through everything." ""He's done numerous things for me, not only as a quarterback but as a person," Kaepernick said. "He's not only a great coach but a great person.""

quote:

"Harbaugh is a phenomenal coach," veteran left guard Mike Iupati said. "He turned this whole program around, this whole organization around. It just sucks for him to part (ways with the team) and leave. He's been a great coach for us, for the 49ers."

quote:

"It's something that you didn't see coming, especially with what he had done in previous years," wide receiver Anquan Boldin said. "Unprecedented for the first three years you go to at least the NFC championship. Definitely didn't see that coming."

quote:

"That was my mindset, to play well for him, send him out right," said Boldin, who succeeded by catching two passes for 81 yards and one touchdown. Iupati said things got pretty emotional after Harbaugh and his players had what Harbaugh termed a "discussion" in the locker room after the game.As usual, Harbaugh concluded the talk with everyone huddled in the middle of the room, a hand raised in the air and thrust toward Harbaugh's hand as he asked, "Who's got it better than us?" And everyone replied "Nobody.""That was awesome," Iupati said. "I will remember that for the rest of my life. We're going to miss him. I'm going to miss him."

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Richard Sherman chased the coward Jim Harbaugh out of the pros

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

go3 posted:

What do you mean? It's really been in play since June.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This has been in place since Bo died.

IDK what yall are talking about.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Alouicious posted:

thank you police informant mgoblog for snitching on the lawbreakers michigan university and jim harbaugh

I'm going to wildly speculate that this is what the 49ers ownership was talking about when they said Michigan approached them 'the right way' blah blah

I'm not going to say IT WAS A DONE DEAL FOR MONTHS but it was pretty clearly a very high % chance to happen for the past month or so, during which most of the national media was talking about how Harbaugh had already 'rebuffed' Michigan's approach and they were tilting at windmills by continuing to pursue him

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who knew that a trust fund baby wouldn't get along with a person who's worked hard his entire life

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This is going to make a fun book someday. This, and everyone telling their Dave Brandon stories.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm really pissed my team was too lovely to loving beat Brady Goddamn Hoke because Harbaugh is going to completely annihilate us every time we play them and then he and Fitz are going to have a Dumb Sideline Gestures dance-off.

If it makes you feel any better both of Michigan's most recent 'wins' over Northwestern felt worse than losses and made me wish I was dead after witnessing them

and that loss in 2009 is still probably the most miserable football game ever that wasn't against Appalachian State

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm going to wildly speculate that this is what the 49ers ownership was talking about when they said Michigan approached them 'the right way' blah blah

I'm not going to say IT WAS A DONE DEAL FOR MONTHS but it was pretty clearly a very high % chance to happen for the past month or so, during which most of the national media was talking about how Harbaugh had already 'rebuffed' Michigan's approach and they were tilting at windmills by continuing to pursue him

On his twitter, Ace Anbender said they recorded the podcast yesterday morning, and they did not talk about basketball. It will be posted tomorrow. With any luck, they'll fill us in on the details of how it all went down.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

OK which poster is this https://twitter.com/tigerdroolings

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Another thing, Bob Stoops was apparently the main Plan B guy (in case Harbaugh AND David Cutcliffe had turned them down). The main guy at the Rivals Michigan site claimed that Stoops had intially reached out to Michigan to voice his interest. His name was thrown out a lot and that one doesn't surprise me.

And Les Miles would be at Michigan in a heartbeat if he was ever offered the job.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am really enjoying the bitterness from some of you incredibly wrong posters that Michigan fans A) Got what we wanted and B) had the temerity to be excited about it and C) were actually right about some things.

"I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO (list of poo poo Harbaugh has never been known for)"

It's not exactly moving the goalposts here, but it is petty and transparent. And since I have tried to stay away from being petty to this point, I believe I have earned this response on today, the year of our lord Jim Harbaugh 1:

img-taylorswift-DX-chop.gif

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Look, that was rude and I'm sorry.

But seriously though the second the dude signed it switched from "lol you're not going to get him, you suckers" to "lol you got him, what suckers"

Gettin' me all salty up in here.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Neodoomium posted:

Look, that was rude and I'm sorry.

But seriously though the second the dude signed it switched from "lol you're not going to get him, you suckers" to "lol you got him, what suckers"

Gettin' me all salty up in here.

:glomp: It's okay.

I am pretty sure he's going to be very successful and will lead Michigan back to playoff form and then, after having righted the ship, take an NFL job. Which, if you're Michigan, isn't the worst thing in the world.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 30, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

wheez the roux posted:

in my headcannon wazzu and michigan both defy all logic and expectations and magically become not-dogshit and leach creams michigan in the rose bowl and harbaugh murders a player midfield with his bare hands

That'd be worth letting the huskies lose to the cougs that year.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:glomp: It's okay.

I am pretty sure he's going to be very successful and will lead Michigan back to playoff form and then, after having righted the ship, take an NFL job. Which, if you're Michigan, isn't the worst thing in the world.

Given how many guys Harbaugh has turned into head coaches in such a small time, I think I can live with that. He's good at developing talent on both sides of the sideline.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

At poo poo rear end Stanford. He's going to be able to recruit everyone at Michigan. Nobody's NFL resume is even close to his, which is going to matter to kids who are looking towards the pros. Add that with how popular of a school Michigan is in college football, and I'd expect them to be a top 5 team pretty soon.

People keep saying this but I've never heard of anyone giving a poo poo about Michigan. Is there some reason they're popular? Is it a midwest thing? Since I'm on the west coast.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 30, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Nah we're pretty small potatoes what with our most wins of any college football program ever, our highest winning percentage of any program ever, and until recent history, about 40 straight years of being somewhere between "good" and "very good"

Edit: Our stadium holds 115,000 people, many of which are either bored or so old their hands would snap off at the wrist if they attempted clapping

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Neodoomium posted:

our highest winning percentage of any program ever
Pretty sure Notre Dame surpassed it this year?

Also if we're talking about overall record of all current FBS teams, no one can compare to the 79% winning record of Old Dominion :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mitch Albom writes a welcome to Jim Harbaugh, and it's as sickening as you would imagine it to be.

Neodoomium posted:

Nah we're pretty small potatoes what with our most wins of any college football program ever, our highest winning percentage of any program ever, and until recent history, about 40 straight years of being somewhere between "good" and "very good"

And 0.5 National Championships in the last 66 seasons.

• Locked thread