Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

"Oh, well...uh...you lost your cool! Checkmate! You lose, climate changailure :smuggo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
There are 'proponents' of climate change, and there are skeptics.

Turns out the science is in, though, and the skeptics are wrong.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even if climate change is true and the floods and weather patterns kill millions of people, it could be worse...at least we didn't lose those dangerous coal-mining jobs! What a nightmare world that would be, right?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Big fan of the little line about "the flawed '97% consensus'". I'd love to know exactly what makes it flawed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Even if climate change is true and the floods and weather patterns kill millions of people, it could be worse...at least we didn't lose those dangerous coal-mining jobs! What a nightmare world that would be, right?

From the same guy:

It's pretty much the "Gas prices are low, let's all buy Hummers" politoon except completely unironic.

Techno Remix posted:

Big fan of the little line about "the flawed '97% consensus'". I'd love to know exactly what makes it flawed.

That Climategate email thing from several years back is the standard fallback.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

From the same guy:

It's pretty much the "Gas prices are low, let's all buy Hummers" politoon except completely unironic.

Man, don't you just love it how you can be such a Serious Person™ by going "oh, environmentalists, amirite?"

Also I'm catching a hint of this, except "since gas prices are falling, let's not give the president credit instead":

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've only done a cursory reading on the subject, but the multiple reviews of the reports in question showed that the conclusions presented in those reports were still valid, right? Like, completely valid? I mean, I shouldn't be surprised that climate change deniers aren't swayed by things like science but...drat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Techno Remix posted:

I've only done a cursory reading on the subject, but the multiple reviews of the reports in question showed that the conclusions presented in those reports were still valid, right? Like, completely valid? I mean, I shouldn't be surprised that climate change deniers aren't swayed by things like science but...drat.

This is a good resource, they have a phone app too:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Climategate-CRU-emails-hacked.htm

quote:

In November 2009, the servers at the University of East Anglia in Britain were illegally hacked and emails were stolen. When a selection of emails between climate scientists were published on the internet, a few suggestive quotes were seized upon by many claiming global warming was all just a conspiracy. A number of independent enquiries have investigated the conduct of the scientists involved in the emails. All have cleared the scientists of any wrong doing:

In February 2010, the Pennsylvania State University released an Inquiry Report that investigated any 'Climategate' emails involving Dr Michael Mann, a Professor of Penn State's Department of Meteorology. They found that "there exists no credible evidence that Dr. Mann had or has ever engaged in, or participated in, directly or indirectly, any actions with an intent to suppress or to falsify data". On "Mike's Nature trick", they concluded "The so-called “trick” was nothing more than a statistical method used to bring two or more different kinds of data sets together in a legitimate fashion by a technique that has been reviewed by a broad array of peers in the field."

In March 2010, the UK government's House of Commons Science and Technology Committee published a report finding that the criticisms of the Climate Research Unit (CRU) were misplaced and that CRU’s "Professor Jones’s actions were in line with common practice in the climate science community".

In April 2010, the University of East Anglia set up an international Scientific Assessment Panel, in consultation with the Royal Society and chaired by Professor Ron Oxburgh. The Report of the International Panel assessed the integrity of the research published by the CRU and found "no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice in any of the work of the Climatic Research Unit".

In June 2010, the Pennsylvania State University published their Final Investigation Report, determining "there is no substance to the allegation against Dr. Michael E. Mann".

In July 2010, the University of East Anglia published the Independent Climate Change Email Review report. They examined the emails to assess whether manipulation or suppression of data occurred and concluded that "we find that their rigour and honesty as scientists are not in doubt."

In July 2010, the US Environmental Protection Agency investigated the emails and "found this was simply a candid discussion of scientists working through issues that arise in compiling and presenting large complex data sets."

In September 2010, the UK Government responded to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report, chaired by Sir Muir Russell. On the issue of releasing data, they found "In the instance of the CRU, the scientists were not legally allowed to give out the data". On the issue of attempting to corrupt the peer-review process, they found "The evidence that we have seen does not suggest that Professor Jones was trying to subvert the peer review process. Academics should not be criticised for making informal comments on academic papers".

In February 2011, the Department of Commerce Inspector General conducted an independent review of the emails and found "no evidence in the CRU emails that NOAA inappropriately manipulated data".

In August 2011, the National Science Foundation concluded "Finding no research misconduct or other matter raised by the various regulations and laws discussed above, this case is closed".

How many investigations need to occur?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I imagine the answer is one, as long as the investigation says "we reviewed climate change and it's totally a hoax, guys."

(Seriously, thanks for the resource.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a good resource, they have a phone app too:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Climategate-CRU-emails-hacked.htm

Something something Permanent Committee on Benghazi Climategate

That's a good link though, thanks.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think another issue that a lot of the YEC crowd run into stems from the believe that the Earth is, in fact, only 10,000 years old. These people discard all sorts of science but also fail to understand things like infinite space and infinite time. Yeah life as we know it on Earth has a ridiculously tiny chance to exist in any particular randomly chosen location in space and time. However, with infinite space and infinite time available all things that are possible, no matter how improbable, are guaranteed to happen somewhere.

Which, of course, means that if time and space are in fact infinite there's also an infinite number of copies of Earth and everything on it, as well as ones with variations, out there somewhere and somewhen. Granted that depends on how infinite everything is.

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but the part I bolded is very incorrect and shows a fundamental (and reasonably easily provable) misunderstanding of infinity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hilbert Spaceship posted:

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but the part I bolded is very incorrect and shows a fundamental (and reasonably easily provable) misunderstanding of infinity.

Easy enough for you to share it with us?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'm digging all the way back from last week, but loving hell I just saw this posted by an otherwise pretty liberal Vietnamese guy. I just took the part where this cop goes "To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement" and was like "really, man?"

Wasn't in the mood to dissect the poop.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Easy enough for you to share it with us?

If you modify Cantor's diagonal argument in such a way as to define a generator function G(n), returning a random (it can even be unique, but that restriction isn't necessary for this proof) real number, then if you were to build a list of results for G(n) for 1...inf and call the result set G, then the second part of Cantor's argument would apply without modification, which would prove that set G does not and cannot include all possible real numbers, even though each of them were a possible outcome.

e: the important part here being that infinity does not work in very intuitive ways, and Cantor's argument was the first to prove that there are different sizes of infinity.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure what you mean. Since you seem to be talking mathematics here, that bolded statement is equivalent to the statement "for any probability space (Ω, F, P) and for any X∈F such that P(X)>0, the limit of the number of occurences of X as the number of samples from Ω approaches infinity is strictly greater than 0." Unless I'm way off on my probability, that's definitely a true statement.

Edit:

If you modify Cantor's diagonal argument in such a way as to define a generator function G(n), returning a random (it can even be unique, but that restriction isn't necessary for this proof) real number, then if you were to build a list of results for G(n) for 1...inf and call the result set G, then the second part of Cantor's argument would apply without modification, which would prove that set G does not and cannot include all possible real numbers, even though each of them were a possible outcome.

e: the important part here being that infinity does not work in very intuitive ways, and Cantor's argument was the first to prove that there are different sizes of infinity.

That argument only applies if the number of states of the universe is uncountably infinite. There's no reason to think that this is necessarily the case. And even if it turns out that some physical variables can have irrational values, you can just rationalize the universe; just set arbitrary cutoffs on all decimal representations for the values of physical variables at, say, the one-googolplexth decimal place, and for a given specific state we'd never be able to measure the difference even in principle. Then all possible values for all possible physical variables are rational, and so the number of possible distinguishable states in the universe is countably infinite.

Edit2: Wait, countably infinite isn't quite far enough. Putting some reasonable bounds on all state variables kicks it down even further to a finite set of states, though, so yeah the original statement is true when it comes to the actual universe in which we live and the context in which it was given.

Idran fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

Idran posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Since you seem to be talking mathematics here, that bolded statement is equivalent to the statement "for any probability space (Ω, F, P) and for any X∈F such that P(X)>0, the limit of the number of occurences of X as the number of samples from Ω approaches infinity is strictly greater than 0." Unless I'm way off on my probability, that's definitely a true statement.

Edit:

That argument only applies if the number of states of the universe is uncountably infinite. There's no reason to think that this is necessarily the case. And even if it turns out that some physical variables can have irrational values, you can just rationalize the universe; just set arbitrary cutoffs on all decimal representations for the values of physical variables at, say, the one-googolplexth decimal place, and for a given specific state we'd never be able to measure the difference even in principle. Then all possible values for all possible physical variables are rational, and so the number of possible distinguishable states in the universe is countably infinite.

The fundamental nature of the universe (and possibly multiverse) is still a very open question, and making the flat assertion that we can simply assume the universe and all its possible states and everything that could ever exist to be countably infinite with no loss of generality is entirely unfounded. The statement that "with infinite space and infinite time available all things that are possible, no matter how improbable, are guaranteed to happen somewhere" is untrue and demonstrably so.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The fundamental nature of the universe (and possibly multiverse) is still a very open question, and making the flat assertion that we can simply assume the universe and all its possible states and everything that could ever exist to be countably infinite with no loss of generality is entirely unfounded. The statement that "with infinite space and infinite time available all things that are possible, no matter how improbable, are guaranteed to happen somewhere" is untrue and demonstrably so.

In your example any real variable not in the range of G(n) is not a member of the sample space, and so is not "a thing that is possible" in that sample space. The statement "for any probability space (Ω, F, P) and for any X∈F such that P(X)>0, the limit of the number of occurences of X as the number of samples from Ω approaches infinity is strictly greater than 0" is true.

Also this is a dumb derail for pretty much every other poster here anyway, I'm betting, so we should probably take this to PMs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm not really following. Even if something has something like a one in 10^10^10^10 chance of happening if you give it enough chances it eventually will. It might take thoroughly ridiculous amounts of time but it will happen eventually. The only things that will never happen are the impossible. But then that also depends on if time and space are, in fact, never ending and go on forever. If there is finite space or the patterns of the universe repeat after a finite space then they aren't quite infinite. Same with time; if time is going to run out, even if the amount of it is more than we could feasibly count, then it isn't infinite and nothing is guaranteed.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm not really following. Even if something has something like a one in 10^10^10^10 chance of happening if you give it enough chances it eventually will. It might take thoroughly ridiculous amounts of time but it will happen eventually. The only things that will never happen are the impossible. But then that also depends on if time and space are, in fact, never ending and go on forever. If there is finite space or the patterns of the universe repeat after a finite space then they aren't quite infinite. Same with time; if time is going to run out, even if the amount of it is more than we could feasibly count, then it isn't infinite and nothing is guaranteed.

He's essentially saying "a set of all odd numbers is infinite, but even though 2 is a possible number, no matter how many times you grab a number from the set you'll never find 2 even after an infinite amount of draws"; different sizes of infinity don't even need to come into it for his core argument. The problem is that when you're starting with "set of all odd numbers", "2" isn't a possible number in that universe.

You're right that anything with a nonzero chance of happening will eventually happen given unlimited time, and "has a nonzero chance of happening" is what most anyone means by "is possible" (even if it's not what probabilists necessarily mean by it :v: ).

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

Idran posted:

He's essentially saying "a set of all odd numbers is infinite, but even though 2 is a possible number, no matter how many times you grab a number from the set you'll never find 2 even after an infinite amount of draws"; different sizes of infinity don't even need to come into it for his core argument. The problem is that when you're starting with "set of all odd numbers", "2" isn't a possible number in that universe.

You're right that anything with a nonzero chance of happening will eventually happen given unlimited time, and "has a nonzero chance of happening" is what most anyone means by "is possible" (even if it's not what probabilists necessarily mean by it :v: ).

That's very specifically not what I'm saying.

In my post I described the generator function as "returning a random real number", this means that the domain of G is all real numbers.

Then, if you build a set of real numbers by associating with each integer, a unique value of G (any of which could be any real numbers), then you will still, provably, never return a set of all real numbers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Infinity does not work in a very intuitive or 'common sense' logical manner. The correct first response upon coming into contact with mathematics involving infinity is 'what?'

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Idran posted:

Oh OK. Yeah, that was basically what I was saying. Something that is literally impossible will never happen but all possible things will. Some things just can't happen, like pulling an even number out of the set of all odds. That is impossible. But if you're working with the set of all odd numbers you have a non-zero chance of picking a specific number. Enough random picks from the set of all odds and you will eventually get an eleven.

Neruz posted:

Infinity does not work in a very intuitive or 'common sense' logical manner. The correct first response upon coming into contact with mathematics involving infinity is 'what?'

Yeah I remember when I started learning calculus the professor pulled the whole "if you travel exactly half the distance you can never get there, right?" thing and then went "nope, infinite travels will close the distance." Infinity is loving weird, man.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I'm sure someone had it worse than I, but during a conversation with my mother over Christmas I came away with the dozy, "... I would have been better off being born a black woman." To be fair, she had argued herself into a corner and then I asked the question but still. We're from the St. Louis burbs and she was going on about how the remaining protesters keep shutting everything down and they couldn't go do anything because they didn't know when protesters would show up! She also thinks that the remaining protesters in St. Louis are, "professional protesters and anarchists who are destroying the local economy."

Generally she agrees with my point that special state prosecutors need to be used to investigate and prosecute local police during shootings or corruption cases and she doesn't vote republican because they keep wanting to cut school budgets, which she holds as sacred. But it's just frustrating seeing someone you love lose all perspective.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

Many prophets have been shown that Russia will attack America with nuclear weapons. Here are just a few of their warnings...please read all of the warnings herein, you will realize that this will happen in the very near future.

Prophet John Johnston.....

As I looked down to the ground I saw Staten Island, Manhattan Island and New York City. I could not believe that these missiles were getting ready to hit New York with such a magnitude. They were coming right down onto the state of New York. The next thing I knew, I was standing down on the ground looking at all of the devastation. All the buildings were totally annihilated. The big skyscrapers had fallen over as though a domino effect had happened when they were blown up. When they started falling, these skyscrapers fell one against another knocking each other down. There were dead bodies lying everywhere. Tens of thousands were dead and the air smelled of rotting, burning flesh. Not only did the air smell foul but as I looked everything was dark even though it was midday. I could not believe my eyes!

I then sensed time had passed, weeks and months. God then let me see little children taking instruments like butter knives and scraping the corpses of the people that had died. The children were looking for food by scraping the flesh off the people’s bodies only to cause their own death later of radiation poisoning. The devastation was beyond anything of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The death and the disease that broke out after was beyond imagination. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was overwhelmed and sickened by the devastation. I asked God why He showed me this? He said He is going to judge the United States and He’s going to judge it hard. He said that the enemies of the United States are going to attack.

After having this life-like vision of what is coming, it was quickened to me later that Chicago and a lot of other big cities are also going to take a hit. From what I’m receiving right now, this is going to be worse than anything this nation could ever imagine. The American people will not believe what is happening to them. God is going to execute His judgment on this nation and He is going to pay America back double for the sins that have reached into Heaven. (Read Revelation 18)

Prophet Henry Gruver......

"All of a sudden I was up above the Earth looking down upon the earth like a globe. As I looked down on the earth, I saw all of these massive amount of all kinds of ships and airplanes. They were coming from up above Norway, out of this inlet. They headed down between the United States and Europe. They literally covered the whole Atlantic."

"Then I wanted to see what was happening to the United States. I looked over on the globe at the United States. I saw coming out of the United States these radio communication towers. I saw the jagged lines I like they draw to show that communications are coming out. All of a sudden, as I was looking down on them they began to sparkle down on the earth like dust. I thought "Oh no! They are not getting through ! They are not setting through . They don't know what is happening ! They are totally oblivious! "

"Then I began to see all of these submarines emerging from under the surface. I was surprised at how close they were to our boarders! They were in our territorial waters! Then I saw the missiles come out of them! They hit eastern coastal cities of the United States. I looked over across the country where my family was over in the northwest side, and I saw the submarines. I saw the missiles coming out and hitting the western coastal cities."

Prophet Dimitri Duduman......

I knelt beside my bed to pray, as I do every night before I go to sleep. After finishing my prayer, I opened my eyes but I was no longer in my room. Instead, I found myself in a forest. I looked around and to my right I saw a man, dressed in white, who pointed his finger and said, “See and remember.” It took me a while to find out what he was pointing at. It was a small bear who seemed half dead lying on the ground. As I continued to watch this bear, it began to breathe deeper. With every passing minute it seemed to revive itself, and as I watched, it also became angrier. It then began to grow. Soon it was larger than the forest floor and as it grew larger it continued to become angrier. It then began to paw the ground, so that when its paw would hit the ground, the earth would shudder. The bear continued to devastate all that stood in its path until it came upon some men with sticks trying to fend it off. By this time, the bear had grown so large that it simply crushed the men underfoot and continued to rampage. I was stunned by what I saw and asked the man standing beside me, “What does this mean?” “At first, they thought the great bear was dead,” the man said. “As it will begin to stir once again, they will consider it harmless. Suddenly it will grow strong once more with purpose and violence. God will blind the eyes of those that continue to trample on the sacrifice of Christ’s blood, until the day the bear will strike swiftly. This day will catch them unprepared and it will be just as you saw.” The man then said, “Tell my people the days are numbered and the sentence has been passed. If they will seek My face and walk in righteousness before Me, I will open their eyes that they may see the danger approach. If they only look to the approaching danger, they too will be caught up and trampled underfoot. Only in righteousness will they find safety.” Suddenly, I was once again by myself in my room, on my knees, with sweat covering my face.

Pastor TD Hale......

In the dream I began to see myself going across America. I was floating, suspended in the air going across America. I had no fear about what I was seeing. Then all of a sudden I began to see bombs had landed everywhere. The land was totally destroyed. It looked like things were totally just wiped off, grass, trees, everything. Everything was gone, burned. There was nothing left. There was nothing on the trees. There was just total disaster. I don’t know if it was everywhere but it was everywhere that I could see, from the point I was at.

When I saw this I saw people standing around their homes and things that were left, holding onto each other. I saw people that laid dead, and I heard the cries of the people saying, “This should never have happened, this should never have happened.” It was like they just kept saying it over and over again, “This should never have happened, oh Lord, this should never have happened.”

You could tell that life had changed. There was no food. There was no water. I could see babies crying, grownups, men all crying, holding onto their families. They were begging God for mercy. As I moved along I saw people running, looking for their loved ones who were missing and they were completely, completely out of their minds. Insanity had taken over. I could see people slinging themselves off of bridges, committing suicide. It was just so vivid what I could see.

Then I came over a big city that looked like Columbus, Ohio. That is when all of a sudden I saw mass hysteria, riots and all kinds of things breaking out in the streets of the city. There were windows being busted. There were people just grabbing things left and right. But when I saw it, I did not see them grabbing things like TVs and electronics. They were grabbing food. They were grabbing chips. They were grabbing water. They were grabbing anything they could get in their hands to sustain their lives. It was all about survival. I could tell that this was different from riots that we have seen in the past.

They had come into the stores by the thousands, as many as could come in. I saw them pushing shelves over and pushing electronics aside. They were trying to grab the food, the bread, the cases of water. They were seeking everything they could get for survival. The rioters were fighting among themselves. I saw one man grab a gun out of his pocket and shoot another man right in the head.

The next part of the dream was the most startling for me. As I left that place, I was going like at the speed of light. I found myself standing on the backside of the White House. As I stood there I looked up. I heard a voice say, “Look up to the Truman balcony.” I knew what a balcony was, but I did not know the balcony had a name. I did not know that there was a Truman balcony until I later shared this with a friend who told me there is a balcony by that name at the White House. In my mind, I believe the Lord identified that to let me know that my dream was from the Lord.

I saw the president of United States, President Obama, standing on the balcony and I saw in his hands a shotgun. All of a sudden, to my left hand side I heard a loud scream, real loud. When I turned my head to see where the scream was coming from I saw flying high in the air was a majestic eagle flying in the air around Washington DC. I knew that scream. I knew it was an eagle.

I saw all of a sudden the president of United States point that shotgun and shot that eagle dead and it fell to the ground. When it did I looked back up at him and he just had a smile on his face like a smirk. And these were the words I heard in the dream, “I’ve done it and I won’t have to deal with this in my administration.”

Then there was dead silence. Then I heard a voice say “Tell the people that this is my will, that this is my hand, this is the hand of the Almighty both upon the generation of the righteous and the cursed. The righteous will find their way and will know what to do. The cursed will wander around with no compass because the cup is full.”

Prophet Linda Newkirk.....(June 2012)

My Blessed Child, I am your Father Yahweh, yea Jehovah, Most High God, yes Jesus, Lord of Lords and King of Kings! I tell you again, that I am One and the Same! I am your Saviour! I am your Redeemer; and I am Most High God; and besides Me, there is none! But, there come those, who wish to quibble, who wish to find fault and who wish to dispute the truth of who I am! And some say, “She speaks to another Jesus! She hears from another God!” But, I tell you, My Blessed Child, that among these very mockers are those, who speak to another god. They speak to another Jesus! For, I am not found among them; and these include some of your biggest critics, who control the churches, and who mock these works. (works of Revelation 12)

But, now, My Blessed Child, I come to you and I tell you a very important thing! And, this very important word is about to accelerate all of My judgements in the earth! Yes, people will look here and they will look there and they will say, “Oh, look at these Satanists! Oh, look what they do!” But, I tell you this! Hear Me in this! For, I am empowering the Satanists over you!

Just as I raised up Nebuchadnezzar and I empowered Nebuchadnezzar to come forward and to overrun and defeat My people, who did evil and who would not heed the warnings of My prophets, I have now raised up another in your midst! Indeed, he is Satan’s choice and Satan has put him over you through his secret organizations. But, I tell you now that I control Satan! He does what I allow and what I command! I wrote the Book of Revelation; and I have spoken through My prophets down through the ages, for this is what My people chose. And, I have honored their choices!

But now, hear Me in this! Make no mistake about it! Barack Obama is the antichrist! Whine all you want! Be in denial all that you want, but you will not change who he is; and you will not change the fact that I put him over you!

He is your worst nightmare, oh America; for he will burn you down and laugh as he sees you burning! He has no allegiance to America; for his allegiance is to Satan; and this man’s heart is set upon his rule of the whole world!
You, oh America, are but fodder for his fires, you wicked and adulterous peoples of America! And, burn you will! Yes, you will burn; and the fires will spread all across this nation, even before the nukes come! Yes, you will burn, oh America! For, you will not repent! And, because you will not repent; and I have called out to you for many years to repent of your evil ways, and you will not hear My cries, I tell you that you will burn!

And, the famines, great famines, will begin to rip across this land, from one city to another and from one part of this land to another! In years past, I warned you through My words, which I gave to My servant, Linda Newkirk. I told you that if you would not repent that I would dry up your corn fields, that I would bring famines; and you would not hear! You would not believe!

Now come the famines, and you can see it at your door! For, the droughts are so great! And, now the great fires come, yet few of you can see them, and these fires continue on! Now comes also the time when your antichrist president will wallow in his victories! For, now comes also the time when he is coming into his power!

What will you do, oh you decadent nation of America? You will fall! America will fall! Yes, America will fall, and all over the world, the people will shudder! They will panic! They will fear with a great fear! For, they shall soon say, “America is fallen!” Yes, the whore of the world is fallen! That old wicked woman, who made the world to drink of the cup of her perversions, has fallen!

Yet, not all will fear, but only those nations, who have depended upon you, will fear! Many will rejoice! Many will be joyful! They will be glad; for you, oh decadent nation of America have terrorized many nations!

(End of excerpt)

Another warning from God indicating the judgment is near...(excerpted)

My Blessed Child, I am your Father Yahweh, yea Jehovah, Most High God. Listen to Me, Little One, and write as I say that all may be the wiser! Hearken, I say, all you nations! Rise up and hear what I say! Open your eyes to see! Burst open your ears to hear! For, do you not see that the whole world stands on a precipice? The whole world now overlooks a great abyss! Who can stay My hand of judgement? Who can turn back My hand of timing? Who can know what I will do, or when I will do a thing? None, I say! None can stay My hand and none can know My ways!

For, surely many say: that is not of the Lord! He did not do such a horrible thing to His people! He has not brought such judgement! He has not destroyed in such a way! But, I tell you now that these speak in ignorance! They speak foolishness! They speak the desires of their own hearts! For, I create and I destroy! For, I am both a God of great love and an all-consuming fire!

Oh, yes, I am an all-consuming fire! And, this part, most wish to leave out! They want to believe that I am love, but My love burns hot! My love cannot look upon evil and be pleased with it! Oh yes! I strive with the sinners! I have striven with you all since the beginning! And, all of you, sinners! For, I am full of love, mercy, and grace toward all! But, even so, I am also an all consuming fire! And, when I warn and warn, and warn through the mouths of My prophets and you despise My warnings, mock My prophets and even throw them out of your midst, oh then, after so much of this, I will turn against the mockers! I will turn against the scorners; and I will set My eye toward you for total destruction! I will utterly destroy the wicked! I will destroy the mockers! I will destroy the rebellious; and My word is replete with such instances of My judgement! But, I do not destroy without warning! And, oh how I have warned you, you, My people all over the world! Oh, yes, I have warned you! But, few and I mean few have listened!

Oh hard-necked and stiff-necked generation! A generation of vipers! Mockers, slanderers, backbiters, accusers, murderers, and thieves of every description! Undisciplined and unruly! Fit for destruction! Full of every deception! Oh, my whip shall fall hard on you! And, of a sudden, I shall rip the rug from beneath your feet! Of a sudden, I shall take away all that you cherish and hold dear! Of a sudden, I shall break you like a twig in the wind! Of a sudden, I shall destroy your families, destroy your houses, destroy your careers, and take away your easy lives! Of a sudden, I shall lay waste to your cities, to your coastlines, to your high-minded governments, and to you panderers and peddlers of falsehoods and lies! In one instant, I shall deal such a blow to My own house and such a blow to Satan’s Kingdom, that indeed, the New World Order will go forth on wobbly knees!

Oh, yes! This is so; and this is at hand! For, when I take My bride, I shall throw the world in such turmoil, that overnight, there shall come about massive starvation! Overnight, millions upon millions will perish in the churning waters! Overnight, millions upon millions will be buried beneath the crumbling rocks of earthquakes that are so great, that your instruments have never measured such things!

Oh, yes, overnight millions upon millions without electrical power! Millions upon millions without food! Millions upon millions dead! Banks closing and no money to be had! Wars, terrible wars quickly thereafter breaking out all over the world, as Satan’s own try for world domination! Terrible torture, persecution, and killing of many Christians! Mind control re-education camps in your midst and the new world order mind control teams working feverishly to take over the minds of the weak Christians and to use them for their own! Massive killing camps which far exceed anything Hitler ever had, as far as their grotesque horrors! A war against the so-called Christians, such as never before, with any and all methodologies used against them to cause them to denounce Me and My Son!

Trials by the fire! Oh, great and terrible trails by the fires of persecution, starvation, wars, and deprivations of every kind! Harsh! Severe! Nuclear destruction! Poisoned food! Harsh! Severe! Oh, the weeping! Oh, the wailing, as all that all hold dear in this world, evaporates before their very eyes!

Yes, I will soon take My Bride, but she will come back! Most wedding guests will come back; and I will keep whom I will! But, do you suppose that you are going to escape anything! I say, prepare! And, get away from coastlines! Remove yourselves from the areas of the Great Lakes, and the swath of land, which stretches between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River; for one day these lakes will dump into the Mississippi River!

Remove yourselves from California coastlines and get far inland! For, one day soon, the ocean will reclaim much of this! To My people, I tell you, pack up and leave Florida! That’s right! Such a judgement will come upon Florida, that when I am through with it, only a string of islands will be left! Pack up and move from the Gulf Coast, and make haste! For, so great shall be My destruction along this coast!

Where will you go! Fast, pray and seek My face; and I will guide you! Put Me first and I will show You My will! (end excerpt)

(the above warning is from 2008, the time is now surely at hand!)

Search the following term and look up the Lord's Wedding Invitation... It will soon be too late to ask. The wedding guests will be blessed in mighty ways!

An Open Invitation! To A Spectacular And Timely, Heavenly Event!

Our Father in Heaven Speaks! Receive, Believe And Ask!

Jesus spoke about the wedding invitation 2000 years ago.

Matthew 22:

1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

For more insight about the timing of what is coming search.... Jesus, Final Warnings To USA Nov 23/14

Note by Mark Brander.... The churches have lied to us about salvation. The 'sinners prayer' and merely 'believing in Jesus' is not going to save you. The apostle Peter said that those who believe in Jesus are those who keep His commandments. To be forgiven by the Lord we must bring all of our sins to Him and confess them in sincere repentence. Most of us need to make a list. We must bring all sinful behaviour to Him including unforgiveness of others. Then one must stop sinning completely and come out of the world. People must come away from the violence and perversion in the entertainment industry and quit watching TV period. The brainwashing, propaganda and satanic mind control is consuming the masses, and it is going to become many times worse. Jesus taught the straight and narrow way, and He said the lukewarm would not make it.

My uncle believes the Rapture will come in his lifetime. I'm not sure he really means it, though; he built a house.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

You know, typically the most important requirement for getting people to buy into your prophecies is writing them really well, with biblical allusions and mysterious imagery or at least with a good command of the language. Most of those read like something written by a dumb high school student trying to sound erudite and using vocabulary he doesn't fully understand. Who finds that poo poo compelling? Read a sci-fi novel, it'll have better descriptions of the apocalypse.

Also, Dmitri Duduman :laugh:

e: I realize the irony of initially using the wrong word in trying to characterize why these people sound dumb.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 29, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Matthew 7:15-20 might be a useful test here.

quote:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
 16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. 
18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. 
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 
20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Isn't there a similar one about how nobody can know when Jesus is coming back?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

muscles like this? posted:

He's actually coming back tomorrow.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He's actually coming back tomorrow.

He'll come back when Iran develops nukes.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Mehuyael posted:

He'll come back when Iran develops uses nukes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

muscles like this? posted:

Like a Thief in the Night.

quote:

1 Thessalonians 5:2King James Version (KJV)
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

The point of this is that there will be no announcements, no warnings or signs. You can prepare for it, but you won't know when it is until it is already happening.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm digging all the way back from last week, but loving hell I just saw this posted by an otherwise pretty liberal Vietnamese guy. I just took the part where this cop goes "To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement" and was like "really, man?"

Wasn't in the mood to dissect the poop.

Oh, he messaged me while I was asleep:

quote:

Though I disagree with those beliefs of idolizing gangsters and thugs and whatnot, i had to delete your comment due to profanity

I AGREE with you that idolizing gangsters, thugs, and sexually promiscuous behavior is WRONG

it's just that some of my friends on facebook are younger family members as well as my parents so i hope you can understand

...he missed the point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Um, didn't you read what Linda Newkirk said? She said that God told her that everyone who disagrees with her are actually the false prophets. And God can't lie, so obviously she's right.

This is absolutely my favorite part though.

quote:

I saw the president of United States, President Obama, standing on the balcony and I saw in his hands a shotgun. All of a sudden, to my left hand side I heard a loud scream, real loud. When I turned my head to see where the scream was coming from I saw flying high in the air was a majestic eagle flying in the air around Washington DC. I knew that scream. I knew it was an eagle.

I saw all of a sudden the president of United States point that shotgun and shot that eagle dead and it fell to the ground. When it did I looked back up at him and he just had a smile on his face like a smirk. And these were the words I heard in the dream, “I’ve done it and I won’t have to deal with this in my administration.”

:allears:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Twelve by Pies posted:

quote:

Don't stop, I'm almost there

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Funny thing is that bald eagles really sound like seagulls, so I have to wonder if Mr "I know that scream" really does...

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
He probably heard a red-tailed hawk, since thats the sound effect they use for bald eagles most often.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Also I'm pretty sure a shotgun isn't going to do gently caress all against an eagle high in the air.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Also I'm pretty sure a shotgun isn't going to do gently caress all against an eagle high in the air.

I was just playing Farcry 4 and now I'm confused.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Um, didn't you read what Linda Newkirk said? She said that God told her that everyone who disagrees with her are actually the false prophets. And God can't lie, so obviously she's right.

This is absolutely my favorite part though.

:allears:

I like “I’ve done it and I won’t have to deal with this in my administration” as though each President since Washington has had to deal with some annoying eagle son of a bitch who constantly pesters them all day or something.

"Hey Barack you gonna finish that? Can I eat that? Wanna watch the game while I talk the whole time? Barack? Hey Barack? Barack barack barack barack barack bar-" :fuckoff: 'Not in my administration, rear end in a top hat!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mo_Steel posted:

I like “I’ve done it and I won’t have to deal with this in my administration” as though each President since Washington has had to deal with some annoying eagle son of a bitch who constantly pesters them all day or something.

"Hey Barack you gonna finish that? Can I eat that? Wanna watch the game while I talk the whole time? Barack? Hey Barack? Barack barack barack barack barack bar-" :fuckoff: 'Not in my administration, rear end in a top hat!'

The Bald Seagull.