Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I had a goofy rear end laggy match up earlier today against Ornstein

Here is the full video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwN4cMruYM
Is this lag on my end or the Summoned's?

That's probably not lag, all grabs in this one have larger hitboxes than their animations imply. It's probably to make them more dangerous, but mostly just makes dodge rolling sometimes necessary for avoiding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr Dog posted:

Is the server spotty for anybody else today?

Yep, can't connect to the servers. I thought I could use this as an opportunity to cheese the gargoyles, but turns out I don't have the coordination to beat them yet (and much to my surprise you get invaded anyway).

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
So I've been playing this for a bit, going through the Forest, No Man's Wharf, the Bastile, and I'm currently in Huntsman's Copse. So far this game just isn't grabbing me like DS1 did. Does it pick up from here, or does it keep being areas that just don't feel quite as interesting as the first game's?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

You need to dodge attacks if you don't want to get hit by them.

This is solid advice. It took me forever to beat this boss but this tip is the key.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Deacon of Delicious posted:

So I've been playing this for a bit, going through the Forest, No Man's Wharf, the Bastile, and I'm currently in Huntsman's Copse. So far this game just isn't grabbing me like DS1 did. Does it pick up from here, or does it keep being areas that just don't feel quite as interesting as the first game's?

Personally, I like the area design in this game just as much as the first one and that includes the early areas. Forest of Fallen Giants and No Man's Wharf are especially good. You might just not like this game as much. But there are some later areas that are also really amazing that you might enjoy more. Shaded Woods and Drangleic Castle are among my favorites.

Lester Shy posted:

Yep, can't connect to the servers. I thought I could use this as an opportunity to cheese the gargoyles, but turns out I don't have the coordination to beat them yet (and much to my surprise you get invaded anyway).

Try turtling with a heavy shield and take the battle very slowly. They have ways to hurt you from behind your shield, but they're all quite predictable. The key to this fight for me was patience. It's easy to panic once you see a third gargoyle, but as long as you know what they're going to do and just keep focusing on bringing them down one at a time, it's not as bad as it looks. It's very hard to find an opening to attack, but as long as you choose your moments well, it's also easy to avoid their attacks and to get room to heal.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dead Man Posting posted:

This is solid advice. It took me forever to beat this boss but this tip is the key.

You can sort of get away with just moving outside of an attack's visual range against people in PVP, but lag will see to it that doing so is not consistent.

As for PVE, while you could do that in DS1 (Artorias being a good example of a fight where you really can avoid half his attacks without rolling), in DS2 there's something off about enemy attack hitboxes (I had a guy rant at me for half an hour about how bad they were), so you really need to roll or backstep.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Dks2 hitboxes are just odd, given how few enemies the game has on screen they could easily do some pretty fancy collision detection. Instead we seem to get this stuff where the hotboxes are completely out of sync with the models and or huge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The grabs in particular are janky as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTXeuHrjvE

From here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's funny because I have the Bell Tower Ring on all the time and I almost never get summoned.

Squat in the Bell Tower, you jerks! I need chunks. :argh:

The guy who told you to stand in a certain area was actually correct. You can get summoned to the belltower in any area however you get summoned in way way more if you're close to the belltower. I stand either just after the bonfire you find when you kill the Smelter Demon or at the bonfire you find after you kill that guy with four arms on the pirate ship.

People often try to invade the bonfire in the Servant's Quarters because a lot of bellbros stand there while waiting to get summoned and they're looking to punish bellbros because honestly most of them deserve it. I don't stand there so I can goof around doing other stuff if I'm waiting to be summoned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its not the hitboxes themselves that are weird (bar the grabs). They seem to be fine. Its how many frames they are active thats a bit wonky.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its not the hitboxes themselves that are weird (bar the grabs). They seem to be fine. Its how many frames they are active thats a bit wonky.
Sometimes it's both. The big dogs you encounter in the Gutter deal their damage the instant their attack animation starts, long before anything that looks like an attack happens, and it also hits something pretty close to 360 degrees around them despite being a forward-lunging attack.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
There are maybe five enemies/attacks tops that are somewhat wonky, the rest is fine. But some people still go apeshit like the whole game was ruined. The hunting dogs in the Gutter are probably the biggest offender, the animation just doesn't match with the hitbox and the timing is off, too. The impaling attacks can get you from afar (mainly Pursuer and Ornstein) and despite being poo poo in that regard, they're luckily not that frequent. Other stuff I can think of off the top of my head are the Enhanced Undead (in the water in Sinner's Rise), spiders having crazy loving reach and the ogre grabs having the same problem as the impaling attacks.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Spiders are annoying but mostly because they have crazy tracking, not so much reach.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I bought the first game and was hugely turned off by how lazy the console port was, with unskippable movies, no graphics options, janky mouse input, nonsensical keybindings and the total absence of context-sensitive controls, etc etc, to the point of not really getting more than a few minutes in. Can someone reassure me that this is an actual PC game before I grab it in the Steam sale?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's a good, proper PC port. This article from before release should give you enough info to see that FROM actually cared about the PC port this time: http://www.pcgamer.com/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

e: but you should play with a controller anyway

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Samopsa posted:

It's a good, proper PC port. This article from before release should give you enough info to see that FROM actually cared about the PC port this time: http://www.pcgamer.com/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

e: but you should play with a controller anyway
OK, thanks.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It's a really great port in most ways, but it still really shows how the developers themselves never play on the PC. The software itself is rock solid and runs beautifully. Even with moderate specs it looks amazing and runs without the slightest hitch. If you install GeDoSaTo, it will look even better. But the controls have issues unless you have an xbox 360 controller. The controls are very intuitive with a controller, but very strange without one. For some unbelievable reason, From still references all the controls in game as if they were on a controller instead of a keyboard, leaving you completely lost as to how to play if you're foolish enough to try to play the same way you would with any other game you'd buy on the computer. I've recently picked up the game again, and found that I can make keyboard and mouse work (though it's very hard to get used to the difference), but it required a couple of hours poking around with Autohotkey trying to make the controls behave the way I want.

Note, if you have a console style controller, this is simply not a problem at all. The game will run better than most native PC games out of the box, excepting one annoying issue with weapon durability, that you can still easily play around once you get used to.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can set every keybinding, you do not need autohotkey. It's really built around using a controller though, so it just feels off using KB/M, but it's definitely playable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It's odd that people think DS2 isn't as memorable as 1. Every time I try to play DS1 I get ~45ish minutes into it and just can't bring myself to care, whereas I'm on my 5th new char in DS2.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The grabs in particular are janky as hell.

That one is actually really easy to avoid, you just have to dodge to the right or straight towards him instead of left. If you try to go in the same direction as dodging his regular attack, you'll get shanked every time.

e/ seriously with how the animation goes you'd think the area directly in front of the Pursuer would be a no go, but you don't even have to dodge roll in there, just walk up to his chest during the wind-up and he'll miss you entirely while you rack up some sick counter damage.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 29, 2014

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

It's odd that people think DS2 isn't as memorable as 1. Every time I try to play DS1 I get ~45ish minutes into it and just can't bring myself to care, whereas I'm on my 5th new char in DS2.

Honestly I found myself wondering "Ok, now what?" a hell of a lot more in DS2 than 1, but I hear people saying the opposite a lot too. I had no troubles navigating Demon's and DS1 after finishing up areas/boss fights, could be I'm just not as grabbed by the world design as I was in those games.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It's a really great port in most ways, but it still really shows how the developers themselves never play on the PC. The software itself is rock solid and runs beautifully. Even with moderate specs it looks amazing and runs without the slightest hitch. If you install GeDoSaTo, it will look even better. But the controls have issues unless you have an xbox 360 controller. The controls are very intuitive with a controller, but very strange without one. For some unbelievable reason, From still references all the controls in game as if they were on a controller instead of a keyboard, leaving you completely lost as to how to play if you're foolish enough to try to play the same way you would with any other game you'd buy on the computer. I've recently picked up the game again, and found that I can make keyboard and mouse work (though it's very hard to get used to the difference), but it required a couple of hours poking around with Autohotkey trying to make the controls behave the way I want.

Note, if you have a console style controller, this is simply not a problem at all. The game will run better than most native PC games out of the box, excepting one annoying issue with weapon durability, that you can still easily play around once you get used to.
Ugh, this was one of the things that bothered me most about DS1. "Press A to loot corpse", regardless of what your loot corpse button is actually bound to. Sigh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
KB+M is fine. It's different but it's not going to hamstring you or put you at a disadvantage. There are, however, two actions that seem to be impossible unless you have a gamepad plugged in: one is rotating your character model during character creation, and the other is un-attuning a spell at a bonfire (of all things), which you need to be able to do if you want to use spells that consume multiple attunement slots.

WSAD makes it impossible to finely control your run direction, but in practice it's not really an isue. The design of the input system adds a huge inherent lag to mouse button input (single and double clicks are independently bindable actions, so there is a long double-click timeout before a single-click takes effect) and the default input bindings (specifically, click to attack) are not really playable as a result. I bind L/R weapon switching to mouse buttons since those actions are not timing-critical, and attacks to Tab Q E R.

KB+M does give you some advantages in PvP and PvE though: chiefly the ability to turn rapidly while sprinting, and of course improved free-aim when you're using binoculars or bows.

I'm no slouch at PvP and I've completed the PvE many times, and with hardly any deaths in my latest powerstance rapier build. KB+M works just fine. I've really tried to make gamepad work and I just can't, it feels so clumsy and I have a lot of difficulty exercising any sort of fine control over my character.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New Scholar of the First Sin info, though good luck discerning what they mean for half of it.

Also, the way they talk about him, the Scholar is totes Aldia, King Vendrick's Brother and the guy that basically made half of the enemies in the game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

With the higher memory afforded by the new hardware, FromSoftware were able to include elements they wanted originally wanted to do.  For instance, models of some existing bosses are replaced with larger-scaled models with a higher polygon density count 

Sounds like Mirror Knight might go back to demo size? That'd be neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

New Scholar of the First Sin info, though good luck discerning what they mean for half of it.

Also, the way they talk about him, the Scholar is totes Aldia, King Vendrick's Brother and the guy that basically made half of the enemies in the game.

I thought it was pretty clear. Higher player count in world, different enemy placements, balance changes, higher res models for some enemies, no outright new areas or enemies.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Changes to matchmaking, hm. Perhaps an overhaul of Soul Memory?

I mean I've got over 300 hours out of DS2 and the DLCs have been worth the purchase price. I'll be willing to give them a lot of credit on this one.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't think that article features any actually new information. The only thing that was not explicitly mentioned before was the new NPC being someone we know already. But people had and have their theories regardless.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
No new information, but it did clarify a bunch.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Scholar of the First Sin posted:

existing PC users of the game will have to pay for these upgrades.

Wait WHAT?!

Everyone else gets upgrades for free, but not the one platform most able to take advantage of them?!

WTF From!

e: apparently I misunderstood

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Annath posted:

Wait WHAT?!

Everyone else gets upgrades for free, but not the one platform most able to take advantage of them?!

WTF From!
uhhhhhh

Dx9 PC, 360, and PS3 all are getting an update in Feb that will include 'as much as possible' for free.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Annath posted:

Wait WHAT?!

WTF From!

You do realize that Dark Souls 2 is not even on the PS4 or xbone so they have to pay for it, too? They're specifically mentioning it because it's the only platform with both the original and upgraded version. Nobody is getting a free upgrade.

edit: to clarify, as you seem to be having issues with this, nobody gets a free upgrade to the new Scholar of the First Sin edition of Dark Souls. As was said earlier, everyone that owns the current game will get a free update with as much of the new content as possible but if you want the new graphics engine and different matchmaking you have to pay. Doesn't matter where you're playing.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 29, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I maxed out my Demon's Great Hammer (holy poo poo does it kick rear end), and now bereft of anything to spend Twinkling Titanite on. Any good weapons/shields that use it? I'm using a strength build (50 Str/18 Dex atm).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Drangleic Shield is an all-around great medium shield that upgrades with Twinkling.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, so I managed to get my original Xbox controller working for Dark Souls PTDE by creating a custom XBCD profile that matched whatever jumbled mess the game spat out. It actually worked out very well once I swapped some buttons around.

I go to do the same thing with Dark Souls 2 and find that there doesn't seem to be any button bound to the strong attacks. Buttons 1-10 function exactly as they should, but 11 and 12 (and 13-16 in my tests) seem to do nothing. I think y'all will agree that being able to heavy attack and parry is kind of a big deal, so does anyone know what's going on here?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wait, original xbox controller? As in with the black and white buttons? Dude just buy a 360 controller. It works perfectly out of the box.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, original xbox controller? As in with the black and white buttons? Dude just buy a 360 controller. It works perfectly out of the box.

They're like $40, and an xbox 360 is like $100 which makes no sense.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

With the DS4 out the 360 controller finally has some serious competition when it comes to PC users. You have to jump through another hoop or two to get it working, but it's not more than a one-time investment of like 5 minutes. If you prefer the layout or shape that's another very good option.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Making the Moonlight greatsword was a mistake. I should have used that soul on crystal soul spear. It's attack animation is awful, way too slow, and can't be enchanted nor does flynn/blades ring do anything so does substandard damage. You don't need the ranged heavy attack as a caster since you have, you know, magic to deal with ranged.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Making the Moonlight greatsword was a mistake. I should have used that soul on crystal soul spear. It's attack animation is awful, way too slow, and can't be enchanted nor does flynn/blades ring do anything so does substandard damage. You don't need the ranged heavy attack as a caster since you have, you know, magic to deal with ranged.

If you infuse it with a magic stone (enchanted) it turns it into purely physical damage that scales with INT. Pretty sure it will work with RobFlynn that way.