Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm betting it's a tomato knife. Yeah, if you don't already have a normal paring knife, go for that instead.

Yeah I was thinking tomatoes and maybe other fruit/vegetable? A little too specific for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I did a very quick look through the thread, and didn't see a lot of love for ceramic knives. I have a single ceramic chef's knife that I use exclusively for fruits and vegetables, and I love it. It wasn't anything fancy, i think under $50 at bed bath and beyond but it is very nice knowing that I can pull it out of the drawer and it'll be sharp enough to effortlessly chop anything i put under it. I have never sharpened or honed the edge in the roughly 5 years that I have had it and it still goes right through a tomato, which has historically been my yardstick for when to hone my blade.

I still keep a nice steel chef's knife handy for any meat products I have to cut. 1) I worry that washing my ceramic knife may damage it, not only from the lateral pressure on the blade but also from the temperature changes from hot to cold, but 2) I also worry that it will break if I hit a bone.

Knowing those drawbacks, I heartily recommend a ceramic knife for everyone. It really is a great investment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

adorai posted:

I did a very quick look through the thread, and didn't see a lot of love for ceramic knives. I have a single ceramic chef's knife that I use exclusively for fruits and vegetables, and I love it. It wasn't anything fancy, i think under $50 at bed bath and beyond but it is very nice knowing that I can pull it out of the drawer and it'll be sharp enough to effortlessly chop anything i put under it. I have never sharpened or honed the edge in the roughly 5 years that I have had it and it still goes right through a tomato, which has historically been my yardstick for when to hone my blade.

I still keep a nice steel chef's knife handy for any meat products I have to cut. 1) I worry that washing my ceramic knife may damage it, not only from the lateral pressure on the blade but also from the temperature changes from hot to cold, but 2) I also worry that it will break if I hit a bone.

Knowing those drawbacks, I heartily recommend a ceramic knife for everyone. It really is a great investment.

I prefer the japanese steel knives because I can get them just as sharp and I only have to sharpen them once every two weeks to a month. I can also use them on most ingredients without worrying about lateral pressure nearly as much as I would with a ceramic knife. If you are willing to deal with the drawbacks I can see a ceramic being worth it, it's just not for me.

BTW if you mean putting your ceramic knife in a dishwasher when you say "washing" then you shouldn't do that with any knife, a dishwasher will really damage handles and dull the hell out of the knife. I just use a sponge, warm water and some soap on my knives.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW if you mean putting your ceramic knife in a dishwasher when you say "washing" then you shouldn't do that with any knife, a dishwasher will really damage handles and dull the hell out of the knife. I just use a sponge, warm water and some soap on my knives.
I just meant hand washing it in hot water.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Got my Tojiro 240mm gyuto in today, and it's a huge step up over the Victorinox it's replacing. The choil definitely needs to be smoothed out with some sandpaper, but I'll live for now. The stock edge is quite good, but I definitely want to see what this blade can do after some time on some water stones.

One weird thing about mine is that the logotype and label on the handle don't match any of the stock photos I've seen of the DP series online. I'm sure it's just a newer/older stock thing, or maybe a reseller thing (I got mine from Amazon), but it did stand out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheJeffers posted:

Got my Tojiro 240mm gyuto in today, and it's a huge step up over the Victorinox it's replacing. The choil definitely needs to be smoothed out with some sandpaper, but I'll live for now. The stock edge is quite good, but I definitely want to see what this blade can do after some time on some water stones.

One weird thing about mine is that the logotype and label on the handle don't match any of the stock photos I've seen of the DP series online. I'm sure it's just a newer/older stock thing, or maybe a reseller thing (I got mine from Amazon), but it did stand out.

All of my Tojiro DPs have slightly different markings. The kanji's the same on all of them, but the styling on the DP is different, and none of them have the `Tojiro Made in Japan' bit:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

nice! congrats. yeah Tojiros are pretty renowned for needing a bit of touch up out of the box, at least for knife spergs. based on your photo it looks like it could probably use quite a bit of thinning behind the edge and probably a more aggressive edge, too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tell me why I shouldn't but this.

Tojiro Black Finished Shiro-ko Kasumi Nakiri - 6.4" (16.5cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWGE/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tojiro Black Finished Shiro-ko Kasumi Nakiri - 6.4" (16.5cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWGE/

Because you can get a 9.5in kiritsuke for $70? And they look infinitely cooler.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you don't want the kurouchi finish, bluewayjapan has them without:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Kn...=item3a95d925a6

cheaper, too.

otherwise, it looks fine. gitchu one, report back. I've been eyeing one of those tojiro shiro nakiris for no other reason other than I want an excuse to buy another knife :X

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

There is no real reason not to unless you don't want to deal with the highly reactive iron cladding on that line.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Just went over to a friend's house. They had a Global chef knife, I think 7" (tiny. Better than their 5" Wusthof santoku.) I utterly despise the handle. How the hell do you put any pressure on it? It hurt my hand cutting through pre-sliced swiss cheese. Is there any better way to use it than a standard pinch grip? Just curious, not planning on getting any.

Knife shopping on Saturday, woohoo. Not sure if I'll find anything, but hopefully it'll at least give me a chance to feel D and octagon handles so I can compare. I'm absolutely not feeling bound to get anything now, so worst case scenario I get a feel for some knives and order online.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Karia posted:

but hopefully it'll at least give me a chance to feel D

:mmmhmm:

Don't worry, you're not alone with the global hate. I for one love the feel of a good D tho :v:

When shopping also pay attention to the blade profile. Some have more swoop to the belly others more flat, depending on how you like to use your knife it could be something you love or hate also. Many stores will have a cutting board so you can rock the knife on it and feel the profile through the belly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Karia posted:

Just went over to a friend's house. They had a Global chef knife, I think 7" (tiny. Better than their 5" Wusthof santoku.) I utterly despise the handle. How the hell do you put any pressure on it? It hurt my hand cutting through pre-sliced swiss cheese. Is there any better way to use it than a standard pinch grip? Just curious, not planning on getting any.

Knife shopping on Saturday, woohoo. Not sure if I'll find anything, but hopefully it'll at least give me a chance to feel D and octagon handles so I can compare. I'm absolutely not feeling bound to get anything now, so worst case scenario I get a feel for some knives and order online.

Yeah, not a big fan of the global handles here either. I have knives with octagonal handles and I have found them just as comfortable as western style handles. The main difference is that the knives with japanese handles are balanced around the pinch grip so they can feel slightly blade heavy in a racket grip, though because of the lightness of japanese knives in general the blade heaviness is fairly minor and I have found it useful in getting a little bit more force into my chopping.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is no real reason not to unless you don't want to deal with the highly reactive iron cladding on that line.

Anything special I need to know about taking care of it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anything special I need to know about taking care of it?

Not really, just wash and throughly dry it after each use, some people like to keep a towel next to their cutting board and wipe it every few cuts. If you are going to store it for a while you might want to put some mineral oil on it to keep moisture off. Also, it will need some sharpening, the out of the box edge on these is pretty bad but with some sharpening they will take a really great edge.

Though I have heard horror stories about cladding so reactive that you can watch the rust form in mere seconds after contact with a liquid, dunno how much truth there is to that. There are some good alternatives if you are willing to pay more for something stainless or stainless clad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this isn't one of those that will develop a protective patina?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It might or might not, they sometimes they develop rust before the patina and then you have to clean the rust off and hope that next time it patinas instead. Even then the patina will wear off from washing and cutting stuff, so you always have to be on the lookout for anything orange and clean it off before it can eat into the cladding. It varies from knife to knife and also based on what ingredients you cut, so it can be hard to nail down. The Tojiro white steel line's cladding it just one of the most reactive iron claddings out there and I thought you should know before jumping in. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Force a patina. Take some yellow mustard, thin it just a bit with water, dab it onto the knife with a paper towel, let it dry, and wash it off. Instant patina.

e: I have 2 knives out of that line, they do form patina, and aren't stupidly reactive, but will rust if left wet for a minute or two. Once you've got your patina though, it's much less likely to be an issue.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I kind of want one just to see how reactive it is. My Moritaka is pretty reactive but it's not really that big of a deal if you keep it wiped down. Part of me wonders if the knifespergs are overreacting a smidge.

then again a Tanaka is blue #2 and in the same price range so, idk, shirogami seems better suited to things where you really really need a keen edge all the time like yanagibas and sujihikis. Veg prep like nakiris seem like a more durable steel would serve better.

edit for link to tanaka
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Ta...=item2edb875708

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 31, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

also: anyone ever try the wokshop cleavers? http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/vegcleav.html

theyre way cheaper than CCKs, but CCKs are now 60bux and honestly that's ridiculous.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

also: anyone ever try the wokshop cleavers? http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/vegcleav.html

theyre way cheaper than CCKs, but CCKs are now 60bux and honestly that's ridiculous.
The bigger one is my CCK #1 small slicer and the smaller one is what the wok shop was selling...I dunno, a year or two ago (they used to sell Ho Ching Kee Lee cleavers but that's not a HCKL):

You can tell which one sees more use. The CCK is a #1 slicer, so it's a little bigger than the one you'd get from chefknivestogo (unless they've changed things, they sell the #3, which is smaller). But the wokshop cleaver is around 21cm. Not tiny, but noticeably smaller. The build quality is okay. Handle construction is essentially identical to the CCK (tang through then hammered over). The blade is slightly thicker and there's more belly to the blade, neither of which I consider an improvement.

If you want a punchline, it's definitely no replacement for a CCK, but it isn't the worst US$10 I've spent on cutlery.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

they also have other cleavers, too

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/carsteelclea.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, they've always carried a number of different cleavers, but they always seem to have one on offer that looks just like a CCK small slicer. No idea about any of the other ones.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Knife shopping! I got a nakiri. Very similar to the SLD that Radish suggested, D-shaped handle, stainless-clad SLD. However, the blade is much flatter, which I ended up preferring. It cuts very nicely, is very light, and I'm declaring victory.

I got it at Bernal Cutlery, which I recommend for any Bay Area knifegoons. The staff knew what they were talking about and were very helpful, and the selection seemed quite good, too. I can't comment on prices, though, not enough points of reference.

GrAviTy84 posted:

:mmmhmm:

Don't worry, you're not alone with the global hate. I for one love the feel of a good D tho :v:

Sigh. Keep it classy, Gravity.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Karia posted:

Knife shopping! I got a nakiri. Very similar to the SLD that Radish suggested, D-shaped handle, stainless-clad SLD. However, the blade is much flatter, which I ended up preferring. It cuts very nicely, is very light, and I'm declaring victory.

I got it at Bernal Cutlery, which I recommend for any Bay Area knifegoons. The staff knew what they were talking about and were very helpful, and the selection seemed quite good, too. I can't comment on prices, though, not enough points of reference.

Sigh. Keep it classy, Gravity.

Very nice looking knife! I prefer a flatter profile too so I would have chosen that one over the other SLD blade I suggested anyway. :v:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I
A range of carbon steel knives tested, then tested vs the best stainless steel knives.

Result: a $300 carbon steel is the best, followed closely by a $40 stainless.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, that's about right. Victorinox is a great knife which is why it is recommended so often as a first knife for people getting into it. They greatly oversimplify carbide and grain though. There isnt just stainless and carbon, there are hundreds of specific alloys of each, from lovely cheap 440 stainless to fancy vg10 and molybdenum vanadium alloys. Likewise in carbon steel. There is cheap tool steel like sk5 and there are ultra pure Hitachi patented alloys like shirogami #1. Kramer uses 52100 alloy carbon steel. Its a great steel. I don't have a CI sub, so I don't know what else they tested against but I didn't recognize any of the ones that I would go up to after a victorinox (takeda, moritaka, masakage, masamoto, gesshin etc). I don't even think there was a single wa handle knife on there so I would be hesitant to say $300 or bust.

Takeaways are yes victorinox owns. They are right that it is more than just the label "carbon steel" that matters, heat treating, alloy choice, etc all play a factor.

If you're a push chopper though that belly on the Kramer would be annoying as poo poo.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Oh wow, the Victorinox is on sale for $30 now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A range of carbon steel knives tested, then tested vs the best stainless steel knives.

... Well, that was a thing. Let's deconstruct it, shall we?

A stainless knife will come somewhere around 56 Rockwell C hardness, compared to a carbon steel which might be a bit north of 60. I can't find any hard numbers on glass HRC, because it's so hard and brittle that it's basically impossible to test. Essentially, it's off the scale. The end result is that their test on the glass sheet (which was flat-out abuse of the knives) was utterly meaningless. The glass is far harder than either, and will destroy them both at roughly the same rate. Trying to claim that they'll both wear at the same rate in normal work conditions from that test is meaningless.

Sharpness is also very hard to quantify. There's no really good way of comparing the edges in a manner that's anywhere near objective. You could try to get there by measuring cut force, but slicing paper and relying on a non-blind subjective test isn't going to tell you much. Now, we don't really have to get that precise here, since subjective feel actually is kind of the point. But they're packing a huge amount of different factors into a simple test, and it's not going to work. For example, they didn't mention that you can't sharpen most stainless steels as finely as carbon. It's too soft, the edge bends. So when they said that the thinner edges are better at the beginning... yeah, those were the carbons and harder stainless.

So. Get a knife you can take care of. A well-maintained stainless will beat the crap out of an abused carbon. But when you're comparing apples to apples, it's not going to mean much. Meanwhile, if edge sharpness is our only criteria, I'll just sit here with some hand-knapped glass blades and have fun with my single-atom edges. Talk to the guys with the electron microscope or maybe some eye surgeons, they might be able to help you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Wow, that was terrible. They completely ignore the shape of the grind, which has huge, huge effects on the way the knife cuts. Grind is easily more important in most cases than steel type or edge sharpness. They also categorize into "carbon" or "stainless" when there are many types of both steels and there are very large differences in edge taking and edge holding ability from steel to steel. HRC is primarily decided by the heat treat and the limits of the HRC are decided by steel composition. As an example White Steel #1, aka Shirogami #1, is generally treated to around 60-63 HRC, though there are some exceptions like the Teruyasu-Fujiwara knives somehow manage to reach a usable 64-65 HRC, presumably via some form of dark magic. VG-10, a common higher end stainless steel is regularly treated to 60-63 just like Shirogami #1, but it won't take as fine of an edge because of grain structure and carbide shape, it also tends to be more brittle and "crunchy" regardless of the HRC when compared to Shirogami #1. ZDP189, an extremely high end and hideously expensive stainless steel, is generally treated to 66-67 HRC, well above almost any carbon while also being incredibly strongly stainless with 20% chromium content. Based on what I have observed I would say that the heat treat is by far the most important part of what defines the feel and qualities of a particular knife's steel and I would much rather have a random stainless knife with a good heat treat, profile and grind than a random carbon knife with deficiencies in any of those areas.

Also, as has been pointed out, the glass cutting board test is just terrible and will ruin the edge regardless of the quality or hardness of the steel. If they really wanted to test them for edge retention they should have put them through a week or so of prep work in a restaurant environment and checked for sharpness at the end of each day.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh wow, the Victorinox is on sale for $30 now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/

It's almost always on sale for $30 IME, that's what I got mine for. v:shobon:v

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

RedChops posted:

A couple years ago I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery knives, mostly because they looked nice. I later found that they don't really hold their edge well.
Instead of sharpening them, I was thinking about going a step up and getting a Victorinox chef's knife. Is this a good step up, or should I consider something more? I do an awful lot of home cooking, and really just want something reliable.

I got a 18 knife block set of cutco as a wedding present. What I like about them is the lifetime replacement and free sharping that comes with the purchase. I lost one of the 8 steak knives (think it fell in trashcan), the next day some pimple infested kid was at my door with a replacement and attempted to sharpen all my knives. I declined and he gave me the sharpening block for free. He did try to sell me some sissors and cut one of his own pennies in half to demo. I gave him two quarters for his troubles and showed him the door. So I guess he made a 49 cent profit off me :) Cutco has great knives so far from my experience :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

good jovi posted:

I got that chinese Edge Pro knockoff that I think someone linked in here for Christmas. It's a lot of fun to use. What angle do most people use for their knives? I had just been free-handing it with a water stone, so I've never really worried about the actual angle.

I got one of these things for christmas too! I have the same question as you, I need to sharpen my Wusthof Classic 8" and Victorinox 8", which angle should I use?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

I got one of these things for christmas too! I have the same question as you, I need to sharpen my Wusthof Classic 8" and Victorinox 8", which angle should I use?

For soft steels like those a 18-20 degree angle is most effective, closer to 18 for higher sharpness and closer to 20 for longer edge retention. For hard steel like Japanese knives around 12-16 degrees.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For soft steels like those a 18-20 degree angle is most effective, closer to 18 for higher sharpness and closer to 20 for longer edge retention. For hard steel like Japanese knives around 12-16 degrees.
Eh. Steel is part of the equation, but things like the blade geometry matter. As does what you're actually planning on using the knife for, and what your maintenance routine looks like.

I mean I really don't care about online knife arguments in general, and really don't care about online knife sharpening arguments. But I kinda feel like there are a lot of people going out there and buying knives with high-end Japanese steels and then are sharpening them down to single-digit bevels just because they feel like they have to because otherwise they're doing it wrong or they're going to offend the Hanzo spirits or whatever the gently caress. And then a week later they're posting that they've chipped the blade. When they'd probably be way better off with a less acute angle and better edge retention because about 90% of what they're doing is general veg prep or whatever and you don't get much out of having a really acute primary for poo poo like that.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

18 to 20 is about right - but be careful, the factory marks for angles on the sharpener might be way off. They were on mine, by like 10 degrees. Measure the angle yourself when you set it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

Eh. Steel is part of the equation, but things like the blade geometry matter. As does what you're actually planning on using the knife for, and what your maintenance routine looks like.

I mean I really don't care about online knife arguments in general, and really don't care about online knife sharpening arguments. But I kinda feel like there are a lot of people going out there and buying knives with high-end Japanese steels and then are sharpening them down to single-digit bevels just because they feel like they have to because otherwise they're doing it wrong or they're going to offend the Hanzo spirits or whatever the gently caress. And then a week later they're posting that they've chipped the blade. When they'd probably be way better off with a less acute angle and better edge retention because about 90% of what they're doing is general veg prep or whatever and you don't get much out of having a really acute primary for poo poo like that.

Errrr, I agree..?

Single digit bevels are silly and just cause your edge to wear out faster and micro chip or chip outright. In general I use a 14 degree(28 degree inclusive) bevel on my japanese knives because I find it to work well and last a long time between sharpenings. The victorinox just gets a 20 degree(40 inclusive) bevel because it works and because the knife is there for more abusive jobs anyway.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
How do you guys measure/know the angle to sharpen at or do you just kind of learn it with time and practice like most things? At the local Japanese market they had some miniature grinding and finishing stones for which I assume would be setup for Japanese angles? I can't read the Japanese so I cannot say for sure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Salsa McManus posted:

How do you guys measure/know the angle to sharpen at or do you just kind of learn it with time and practice like most things? At the local Japanese market they had some miniature grinding and finishing stones for which I assume would be setup for Japanese angles? I can't read the Japanese so I cannot say for sure.

The sharpening systems that people are talking about can be set to a specific angle. I have no idea what you saw at the Japanese market so I can't really comment on that. For normal stones you generally just go by feel, when you hit the angle of the bevel you can feel it catch against the surface of the stone, eventually you just learn what different angles feel like. There are also angle guides like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Salsa McManus posted:

You can buy little guides for various angles, or for a lazy quick trick fold a piece of paper into a triangle for a 22.5 or 11.25 angle. But mostly time and practice.

• Locked thread