Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not only is that not too bad, it's likely as good as you're going to get. It even links to a recovery for your device which means you're pretty much home free.

These are the hoops you'll have to jump through to root locked down niche devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks you guys! I'll try it as soon as I can wriggle out of these damnable social obligations :)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you stick to flagship devices and major ROMs on XDA (minimally modded or stock), they're usually pretty stable and good. At least, that was the case with my Nexus 4 and my HTC One M8. Yeah, you can find ROMs that look like they were designed by someone from the Geocities School of Design, but there are also plenty of very solid options out there (e.g. the SkyDragon ROM).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 30, 2014

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

What's the story with rooting the Galaxy S5 on Verizon? Apparently the old method, TowelRoot, no longer works because the creator of that program now works for Google. :/ Am I just boned?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Zero The Hero posted:

What's the story with rooting the Galaxy S5 on Verizon? Apparently the old method, TowelRoot, no longer works because the creator of that program now works for Google. :/ Am I just boned?

I've never heard of this, that he moved on to Google. Though I dont know about the 4.4.4 update, but previously you could ODIN down to the one that TowelRoot worked on, root it, then ODIN back up to the most recent update (again, dont know if this works with 4.4.4).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a 5v rom for the verizon note 3 yet? Kind of annoying that samsung is best in phone tech but always so behind in android releases.

Also what is this hyperdrive kk thing? or NC2/4? huh? it's been a while since I rooted this sucker.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a 5v rom for the verizon note 3 yet? Kind of annoying that samsung is best in phone tech but always so behind in android releases.

The Note 3 update leaked recently for GSM devices, so it's coming soon for unlocked devices and those whose carriers don't hate them. Since you said Verizon though, prepare to wait.

Edit: I'm assuming you're asking about Android 5.0, since I can't find a "5v ROM".

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Thanks for the AdAway suggestion, it's working perfectly. Any other cool root-only apps people recommend? Also using Cerberus with root.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Thanks for the AdAway suggestion, it's working perfectly. Any other cool root-only apps people recommend? Also using Cerberus with root.

Titanium Backup is the typical go to for root users. Obligatory shout out to Viper if you're into audiophiley kinda stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only things that have requested superuser access since I updated to Lollipop are Nova, Titanium, AdAway, and Root Explorer.

Nova is only to eliminate the clock in the statusbar if you have a clock widget (I don't anymore and therefore have revoked that permission). I haven't needed to modify anything in /system in a very long time so Root Explorer is another that doesn't do anything.

Titanium is one of those things that I bet I could get around using as realistically only games that refuse to use Google's sync system and my call logs are all I care about that don't port over, but it's just better than Helium and I've paid for it so I keep using it. If I lost root I guess I'd see what Helium could do for me but we're talking 9 games and maybe 11 or so apps that don't back up your settings. Hardly worth it.

So really I root for AdAway. I don't really care about it blocking ads in apps (I buy all ad-free apps and have no ad-supported apps on any device) but on the web it's just essential. My Nexus 7 isn't rooted and it's the only thing that's glaringly wrong when I use it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I used root explorers to rename the shutter sound files because stupid Lollipop doesn't let me just mute them (added .bak so they no longer work, but i can restore them if needed later)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

I used root explorers to rename the shutter sound files because stupid Lollipop doesn't let me just mute them (added .bak so they no longer work, but i can restore them if needed later)
I've just stopped taking upskirt photos.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dik-dik posted:

This poo poo on android is stupid. I mean, my backup phone is a Lumia 925 and the camera app lets me mute (and almost every decent camera app for windows phone) the sounds.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just mute the phone when you want to take dodgy pictures - that stops the sounds just fine.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Xposed framework/gravitybox, then any other xposed modules that sound useful to you.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Thanks, squad! Had two nexus devices for almost 3 years now, just getting around to rooting now. (Mostly because I wanted to wipe my phone after it started running slow).

The Nexus 7 is next.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Guillermus posted:

This poo poo on android is stupid. I mean, my backup phone is a Lumia 925 and the camera app lets me mute (and almost every decent camera app for windows phone) the sounds.

In the US it's a legal requirement that phones have an audible shutter sound that can't be disabled, or at least it was a couple of years ago. It is annoying though, because my dog automatically stops doing whatever cute thing he was doing the moment he hears camera sounds. I've had to resort to using Snapchat to take all my dog pix.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

In the US it's a legal requirement that phones have an audible shutter sound that can't be disabled, or at least it was a couple of years ago. It is annoying though, because my dog automatically stops doing whatever cute thing he was doing the moment he hears camera sounds. I've had to resort to using Snapchat to take all my dog pix.

Definitely isn't true anymore. Nexus 5 on vibrate/silent = no shutter sound.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RVProfootballer posted:

Definitely isn't true anymore. Nexus 5 on vibrate/silent = no shutter sound.

My nexus 5 doesn't have a shutter sound even when its not on vibrate, I didn't remove it either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never had an iPhone that makes noise when on silent.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

My nexus 5 doesn't have a shutter sound even when its not on vibrate, I didn't remove it either.

Hah, could be, my phone basically never leaves vibrate :)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

I'm not taking legal advice from someone named "LeftistMuslimObama", sorry.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I keep seeing people say this, but I've never had a phone where I can't disable the sound one way or another. I've also never seen anyone specify a law, or when it passed, or anything else. Does anyone have a source, or is this like the old "you can legally download a rom if you own the game and jerk your dog off left-handed"? Part of me wants it to be a real law so I can see the fuckup that allows it to be circumvented with the volume button.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I keep seeing people say this, but I've never had a phone where I can't disable the sound one way or another. I've also never seen anyone specify a law, or when it passed, or anything else. Does anyone have a source, or is this like the old "you can legally download a rom if you own the game and jerk your dog off left-handed"? Part of me wants it to be a real law so I can see the fuckup that allows it to be circumvented with the volume button.

When I had the Galaxy gear SmartWatch it wouldn't let you turn off the shutter sound unless you hacked into it. I am very happy for that as it is very easy to take bad pictures!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In the US a bill was proposed but did not pass that would mandate shutter sounds.

South Korea appears to be the only jurisdiction where shutter sounds appear to be mandatory, everywhere else device manufacturers may choose to provide them but don't have to.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
On Samsungs, whether the Camera app has a "Shutter sound" menu option in the Camera settings is part of the carrier (CSC) configuration. Sprint's configuration specifies that the menu entry is disabled, effectively forcing the shutter sound--although I forget if it still happens when the device is on silent.

The whole idea is just stupid. Aside from the fact that the shutter sound is cheesy and fake sounding, it doesn't even work for it's intended purpose. It's far too quiet in public for anyone else to hear it, and it's annoyingly loud in private where it's obvious someone is taking a photo anyways.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah shutter sounds are stupid and the worst. Really, any sort of interaction sound beyond ringtones and notification tones is just terrible, and even those are pointless when my phone's screen is already on.

Honestly though the main reason I got rid of the shutter sound isn't for the camera (I barely even use it anyway) but because my phone offers no way of silencing the screenshot sound, which is absolutely terrible.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Last year rooted my Nook HD+ per the instructions. A few weeks back it informed me about new updates, I installed them, and that caused my keyboard to stop working.

I'm torn between going through re-installing the root mods or finding and installing the original OS. The biggest reason for rooting it in the first place was so I could install and run ROEHSOFT RAM Extender but I never figured out a way to how to set it up to swap more than 300-odd megs of ram.

How is it possible to know what updates will work and which ones will brick your tablet? Is the nook HD+ even worth it at this point?

Edit: I forgot how painless the process was, not sure why I thought it was going to be hard.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 3, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

Last year rooted my Nook HD+ per the instructions. A few weeks back it informed me about new updates, I installed them, and that caused my keyboard to stop working.

I'm torn between going through re-installing the root mods or finding and installing the original OS. The biggest reason for rooting it in the first place was so I could install and run ROEHSOFT RAM Extender but I never figured out a way to how to set it up to swap more than 300-odd megs of ram.

How is it possible to know what updates will work and which ones will brick your tablet? Is the nook HD+ even worth it at this point?

Edit: I forgot how painless the process was, not sure why I thought it was going to be hard.

An e-Reader is not a computer and should not be forced into a computer use paradigm.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Citizen Tayne posted:

An e-Reader is not a computer and should not be forced into a computer use paradigm.

Little known trick is to shift the paradigm by strategically applying grip tape to the phone, or in this case a Nook HD+.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Are there any better Rom options for AT&T Galaxy S5's other than stuff here?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5/development

I'm running dynamic kat right now and while its pretty good I'd like to try others.From what I understand ATT locked the bootloader so we can't install stuff like cyanogenmod for this phone. Is that still true?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

kinkouin posted:

I've never heard of this, that he moved on to Google. Though I dont know about the 4.4.4 update, but previously you could ODIN down to the one that TowelRoot worked on, root it, then ODIN back up to the most recent update (again, dont know if this works with 4.4.4).

Still works. Did it last week, forgot to post here. Even with the new (minor) patch that Verizon put out the other month, NK2 or something.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

madkapitolist posted:

Are there any better Rom options for AT&T Galaxy S5's other than stuff here?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5/development

I'm running dynamic kat right now and while its pretty good I'd like to try others.From what I understand ATT locked the bootloader so we can't install stuff like cyanogenmod for this phone. Is that still true?
If you can install SafeStrap you can run any ROM.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm not asking it to run Office 365 or WoT Blitz. At one point I hoped it'd at least run phone games like Candy Crush or Simpsons Tapped Out but at this point I'm content to watch videos and surf the internet.

I still never figured out how to get Roehsoft to work. It seems to want to use the nooks cache for the swap file instead of the sd card. When I make a swap file on the SD card I get an error warning after the files made v0v.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not asking it to run Office 365 or WoT Blitz. At one point I hoped it'd at least run phone games like Candy Crush or Simpsons Tapped Out but at this point I'm content to watch videos and surf the internet.

I still never figured out how to get Roehsoft to work. It seems to want to use the nooks cache for the swap file instead of the sd card. When I make a swap file on the SD card I get an error warning after the files made v0v.

Maybe you should, just to spite him.

More seriously: RAM expanders don't pay off because of the low speeds of onboard flash or SD cards (even good ones are going to perform like a platter drive in your computer, while the RAM itself is something like 100 times faster than that (in very loose terms)), Nook partition arrangements are often weird and counterintuitive, and Nooks in general are pretty outdated performance-wise (except maybe for the "by Samsung" ones and don't get me started on Samsung).

If you're still intent on using a RAM expander, the developers probably had a reason to default to /cache, so you might want to give it a shot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling the more money I throw at trying to make the Nook into something else the less money I'll have for its replacement. I don't want to throw it away, but I'm not sure who'd want it either.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RandomPauI posted:

I get the feeling the more money I throw at trying to make the Nook into something else the less money I'll have for its replacement. I don't want to throw it away, but I'm not sure who'd want it either.

Yeah, pretty much.

I dunno, put it stock, donate it to a local community thing (so not a chain 'charity' shop)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

When a 2013 Nexus 7 is $130 it's tough to say any amount at all is worth it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

When a 2013 Nexus 7 is $130 it's tough to say any amount at all is worth it.

But wait, is that a computer?? Is there someone out there who can tell me: what is computer? I am typing this, but maybe this is not a "lap-top" per se but actually a typewriter-cum-abacus? Am i typing or just tying Aztec knots, 1s and 0s, graphically displayed through an electron gun?

Please help I can't enjoy this experience unless I know if it is "computing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At least it was free when I got it.