Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

The final boss fight in the original MGS is truly awful where you have to fight Liquid on top of metal gear. The game makes you fist fight him but the combat engine is utter dreck. Quite often your first punch will knock him out of reach long enough that your follow up hits land during his 'invincible after being hit' animation. Which would be fine except if you don't land a perfect combo on him he instantly counters and takes off a lot of health.

That's every final fight in MGS minus 3.

MGS had you fist fight Liquid, Raiden got that stupid sword and 4 had you fist fight Ocelot again on top of a thing, though 4 at least gets props for the music and lifebar usage.

3 is seriously the best, little baggage, no bullshit and the final fight had you use all the skills you learned, I especially liked camouflaging entirely and the boss couldn't actually find you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The fist fight with Liquid can be cheezed pretty hilariously if you rapidly hit him with only the first punch of your combo. The Raiden duel with Solidus is a little tricky to manage but it's good fun in the end. The CQC duel with The Boss is the best loving thing. The Liquid Ocelot fist fight is a close second though.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I'm taking in the latest installment of the seminal Assassin's Creed series, Unity, and I was content to know it was a bug fest. I knew about the face bugs (haven't seen any), the model bugs (funny), Line of Sight bugs (annoying), and was ready to accept it all until I got to the Marquis de Sade.

His character design wasn't bad, his dialogue wasn't too provocative. It was when he sat down with what in game looks like a 14 year old drugged out of her mind that can't move and he starts kissing her arm that I got disturbed as gently caress about the people who designed this game. The memory ending freeze frame is even worse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm taking in the latest installment of the seminal Assassin's Creed series, Unity, and I was content to know it was a bug fest. I knew about the face bugs (haven't seen any), the model bugs (funny), Line of Sight bugs (annoying), and was ready to accept it all until I got to the Marquis de Sade.

His character design wasn't bad, his dialogue wasn't too provocative. It was when he sat down with what in game looks like a 14 year old drugged out of her mind that can't move and he starts kissing her arm that I got disturbed as gently caress about the people who designed this game. The memory ending freeze frame is even worse.

The Marquis De Sade was a sick, twisted motherfucker in real life. If the worst thing they do is having him kiss a drugged 14 year old, then I would count my blessings. Do you at least get to assassinate him, or did they make him a "good guy" like Machiavelli?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Randalor posted:

The Marquis De Sade was a sick, twisted motherfucker in real life. If the worst thing they do is having him kiss a drugged 14 year old, then I would count my blessings. Do you at least get to assassinate him, or did they make him a "good guy" like Machiavelli?

I'll let you know when I get through the game. In the mean time...

:stare:

I've had the internet temper me against strange poo poo but the World Wide Web has nothing on Classical Sadism and Libertines.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yeah, Goatman don't have poo poo on some of these people.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm really impressed that you have managed to go through life not knowing who Marquis De Sade was. :allears:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm really impressed that you have managed to go through life not knowing who Marquis De Sade was. :allears:

Oh, I know who he was. I'm well aware of what hedonism and S&M is. I just didn't realize what real sadism was.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

They took it out to make the choice more difficult to make, and because the point of giving you a choice is neutered when you can just do anything you want.

If this is true, shouldn't the quest come before Don't Tread on the Bear (and the legion equivalent)?

I'm not saying there should be a speech check to make House fall in love with the brotherhood, but having some kind of alternative option with appropriate and likely complicated consequences would be nice. Or at the very least, don't make me load up a previous save because you locked me out of two other factions because I'm not psychic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadowrun Dragonfall: Man the AI really likes to go for the player character don't they? A lot of fights I'm often making my main character haul rear end after the entire enemy group focuses on him, sometimes he flat out gets incapacitated before I get my first turn cause often the enemy makes the first move. This has a side effect of my melee companion a murderous force cause the AI wont attack her, they go for me. I can't see their chance to hit, but I'm sure my guy in the far back in full cover is harder to hit then the woman with claws currently gouging their eyes out.

It got really dumb in a fight where I released some basilisks from their cage that proceeded to run past the enemy to beeline towards my character.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Leal posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall: Man the AI really likes to go for the player character don't they? A lot of fights I'm often making my main character haul rear end after the entire enemy group focuses on him, sometimes he flat out gets incapacitated before I get my first turn cause often the enemy makes the first move. This has a side effect of my melee companion a murderous force cause the AI wont attack her, they go for me. I can't see their chance to hit, but I'm sure my guy in the far back in full cover is harder to hit then the woman with claws currently gouging their eyes out.

It got really dumb in a fight where I released some basilisks from their cage that proceeded to run past the enemy to beeline towards my character.

A lot of games do this and it's annoying as hell. That's one thing (of many) that made me swear off modern FPS' entirely. Nowadays even if it's a squad game the enemies act like the player is the only threat on the field.

It's really obvious in the Battlefield series. Enemies will straight up saunter right past a squadmate pumping bullets into their chest, brushing shoulders, just to get to you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Esroc posted:

A lot of games do this and it's annoying as hell. That's one thing (of many) that made me swear off modern FPS' entirely. Nowadays even if it's a squad game the enemies act like the player is the only threat on the field.

It's really obvious in the Battlefield series. Enemies will straight up saunter right past a squadmate pumping bullets into their chest, brushing shoulders, just to get to you.

The main issue is because developers don't know how to make allies deadly enough a big enough threat without completely overshadowing the player character. Far Cry 4 actually does things pretty well when it comes to the combat between factions.

On the other hand, Ubisoft, why oh why did you have to take away all my guns, ammo and throwables and put me in a prison escape where the only weapon I can find and use is throwing knives... that don't even kill basic mooks in one hit, or their barking dogs. Also, make the Buzzer faster ffs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I picked up South Park: The Stick of Truth a few days ago when it was on sale and the thing dragging that game down for me is Al Gore.

Early on in the game, you can find him out in the world and he gives you a series of quests to investigate manbearpig. The first two quests aren't so bad and just involve running around the game world and using objects in specific places. But after you finish the second quest, he agrees to become your friend on Facebook and promptly starts spamming messages at you every 30 seconds or so. The game encourages you to go "de-friend Al Gore" but what it doesn't tell you is that he's the game's optional super hard boss.

You can easily become his Facebook friend in the first third of the game and be unable to defeat him until the end. Which means that every 30 seconds for more than half of the game, his face will pop up in the corner of the screen with "New Message from Al Gore" attached. You can delete the messages, but it's really loving annoying having to go into your menu every couple minutes and delete all the new messages from him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The main issue is because developers don't know how to make allies deadly enough a big enough threat without completely overshadowing the player character. Far Cry 4 actually does things pretty well when it comes to the combat between factions.

On the other hand, Ubisoft, why oh why did you have to take away all my guns, ammo and throwables and put me in a prison escape where the only weapon I can find and use is throwing knives... that don't even kill basic mooks in one hit, or their barking dogs. Also, make the Buzzer faster ffs.

The knives kill normal mooks in one hit with a headshot just FYI, and a lot of the guards in the prison escape are standing still for long periods giving you a long time to lie up that headshot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up South Park: The Stick of Truth a few days ago when it was on sale and the thing dragging that game down for me is Al Gore.

Early on in the game, you can find him out in the world and he gives you a series of quests to investigate manbearpig. The first two quests aren't so bad and just involve running around the game world and using objects in specific places. But after you finish the second quest, he agrees to become your friend on Facebook and promptly starts spamming messages at you every 30 seconds or so. The game encourages you to go "de-friend Al Gore" but what it doesn't tell you is that he's the game's optional super hard boss.

You can easily become his Facebook friend in the first third of the game and be unable to defeat him until the end. Which means that every 30 seconds for more than half of the game, his face will pop up in the corner of the screen with "New Message from Al Gore" attached. You can delete the messages, but it's really loving annoying having to go into your menu every couple minutes and delete all the new messages from him.

Al Gore and his little entourage are vulnerable to Sleep, so Jimmy marches right through them. He's still a huge difficulty spike, though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

DoubleNegative posted:

The key to beating Al Gore, is to gently caress him up with status ailments and keeping the agents under control.Jimmy is really useful for this fight since he can put the agents to sleep.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've kept going in Alien past when you get the flamethrower and while parts of it are way less frustrating than others, the flamethrower really does not do much to make it any better. You would think that after the alien gets repeatedly lit on fire for going after you that it would maybe care about something besides you in the entire universe and go after easier prey. But none of the alien's reactions imply "gently caress I'm on fire I should go find something else that does not make me be on fire." It just says "oh no the mean woman put me in timeout and I now must leave for the requisite 10 seconds but then immediately return because I know I am invincible."

There's nothing you can do to keep the thing from always staying within 30 meters of you at all times and magically knowing which room you're in, even if you leave no evidence at all that you've moved from one end of the area to the other. Then if you do have to use the flamethrower it will be back as if nothing had happened within the minute to waste more of your fuel. If the developers were trying to make this be the first time it feels like you can actually hurt the alien and show it's vulnerable or something, they pretty much created the opposite effect. I suspect the intention was more of a get out of jail free card when you're about to get ganked, but the alien's reactions to it just do not make sense.

I've reached the point where the alien gets launched into space on the lab and it's been the most refreshing thing in the game yet because I can actually make use of the other 80% of the game mechanics, which never surface when half of the experience is sitting in a locker while I check my phone in real life because there's nothing to do but wait.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Dec 30, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scarycave posted:

The key to beating Al Gore, is to gently caress him up with status ailments and keeping the agents under control.Jimmy is really useful for this fight since he can put the agents to sleep.

Its been a while since I played the game but I think the reason his fight fucks people up so much is that he's pretty much the only enemy that really requires you to use the various status stuff. Everyone else is pretty straightforward and you can beat them just by regular fighting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've kept going in Alien past when you get the flamethrower and while parts of it are way less frustrating than others, the flamethrower really does not do much to make it any better. You would think that after the alien gets repeatedly lit on fire for going after you that it would maybe care about something besides you in the entire universe and go after easier prey. But none of the alien's reactions imply "gently caress I'm on fire I should go find something else that does not make me be on fire." It just says "oh no the mean woman put me in timeout and I now must leave for the requisite 10 seconds but then immediately return because I know I am invincible."

There's nothing you can do to keep the thing from always staying within 30 meters of you at all times and magically knowing which room you're in, even if you leave no evidence at all that you've moved from one end of the area to the other. Then if you do have to use the flamethrower it will be back as if nothing had happened within the minute to waste more of your fuel. If the developers were trying to make this be the first time it feels like you can actually hurt the alien and show it's vulnerable or something, they pretty much created the opposite effect. I suspect the intention was more of a get out of jail free card when you're about to get ganked, but the alien's reactions to it just do not make sense.

If you abuse the flamethrower on the Alien it'll gradually start tanking more and more of your flame and disappear for less time after being driven off. It really is more of a "get the gently caress away" device than anything. The fact that you're always slowly creeping around and waiting in place instead of moving about the station just makes it easier for it to catch up. You need to drive it off and then get away from your current position or its tether will keep shortening until it's dropping right on top of you.

As for why it's always able to seek you out - it can smell you. There, boom, tidy in-universe explanation.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Its been a while since I played the game but I think the reason his fight fucks people up so much is that he's pretty much the only enemy that really requires you to use the various status stuff. Everyone else is pretty straightforward and you can beat them just by regular fighting.

This was it for me. I was so used to just coasting through every fight with that flamethrower spell (especially bullshit when you get even a minor mana gain per spell hit upgrade so you never, ever run out of mana) that actually having having to think about a fight surprised me pleasantly. It was the one actually challenging fight in a game where fighting became such a chore that I'd just bullshit my way through it as much as possible so I could finish the story.

Also, that goddamn fart mechanic. Not only was is pointless, it was also very, very poorly explained so it took me a while to understand what you actually had to do.

e:
I did adore the way they implemented magic in that game, though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Esroc posted:

The old Hitman games had a sort of bug like this. The suspicion meter was entirely linear so on the rare occasion where there was more than one faction in the level, blowing your cover means everyone attacks you. One time I think I goaded a gangster into attacking me only to have the police team up with the mob because I was suspicious. :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taeke posted:

Also, that goddamn fart mechanic. Not only was is pointless, it was also very, very poorly explained so it took me a while to understand what you actually had to do.

e:
I did adore the way they implemented magic in that game, though.

I think the only time I ever used the fart mechanic was when the game forced it on me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tweet Me Balls posted:

If this is true, shouldn't the quest come before Don't Tread on the Bear (and the legion equivalent)?

I'm not saying there should be a speech check to make House fall in love with the brotherhood, but having some kind of alternative option with appropriate and likely complicated consequences would be nice. Or at the very least, don't make me load up a previous save because you locked me out of two other factions because I'm not psychic.
Not the choice of faction, the choice of whether to kill the Brotherhood. By putting it after those quests it becomes a question of how much your character supports House and believes in his grand vision.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I think the only time I ever used the fart mechanic was when the game forced it on me.

There doesn't seem to be any point to it combat wise either.
The moves you get on your own are worlds better than anything the farts could ever hope to achieve.

Farts ain't got nothing on Moses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene where Randy trains you in a fart technique almost made me stop playing the game altogether. It is a poorly designed mechanic, he gives you very little feedback on how to actually do it and the game itself isn't any help either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

There doesn't seem to be any point to it combat wise either.
The moves you get on your own are worlds better than anything the farts could ever hope to achieve.

Farts ain't got nothing on Moses.

Yeah the only fart move I used in combat was adding it to a normal attack to inflict gross out. The actual spells sucked.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The scene where Randy trains you in a fart technique almost made me stop playing the game altogether. It is a poorly designed mechanic, he gives you very little feedback on how to actually do it and the game itself isn't any help either.

Yeah, I was there for a while because I kept messing up and didn't understand what it wanted me to do.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Not to mention that the controls to do the fart spells in combat are totally different than out of combat. The game never explains this, you just have to randomly push the sticks around until something happens.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Here's a thing: Metro 2033 Redux. It looks prettier and there's some nice balance changes, but it also cadges a lot of HUD mechanics from Last Light, some of which make the gameplay kind of a pain in the rear end compared to the original.

Mainly, melee is now mapped to a button instead of just having your knife be a separate equippable weapon. It effectively makes melee worthless in non-stealth situations (because enemies are so squirrelly that hitting anything but primary-fire in close quarters will just tie your fingers up in knots and get your face bitten off), and worse still, I think it locks out unique weapon melee too, which includes the Volt Driver/Hellbreath's amazing taser attack. For a game that really enjoys making you treasure every bullet, locking out one of the best, cheapest attacks because of a sloppy mechanics mish-mash is kind of galling.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was there for a while because I kept messing up and didn't understand what it wanted me to do.

I beat the entire game without ever actually figuring out how that mechanic worked. Every time it came up in a cutscene I just pressed buttons until it worked by chance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SiKboy posted:

The knives kill normal mooks in one hit with a headshot just FYI, and a lot of the guards in the prison escape are standing still for long periods giving you a long time to lie up that headshot.

I don't think you can one-shot kill the Heavies with just one throwing knife, and I'm impatient.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Esroc posted:

Some JRPGs are specially bad about this. Like Okage: Shadow King. It was a fun, quirky game with some not so fun gameplay. See, if the main character died in battle it was game over, even if every other character had full health. It also had a gimmicky battle system where characters and enemies could attack at the same time.

Cue most battles starting with every enemy in the battle attacking the main character at the same time leading to an instant game over or near it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
The Evil Within's dedication to not ever explaining anything is starting to wear pretty thin.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Some JRPGs are specially bad about this. Like Okage: Shadow King. It was a fun, quirky game with some not so fun gameplay. See, if the main character died in battle it was game over, even if every other character had full health. It also had a gimmicky battle system where characters and enemies could attack at the same time.

Cue most battles starting with every enemy in the battle attacking the main character at the same time leading to an instant game over or near it.

Ah, so they went with the SMT/Persona (some of them) method.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The Evil Within's dedication to not ever explaining anything is starting to wear pretty thin.

If you're planning to keep playing to the end uh, brace yourself and get used to that feeling.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Some JRPGs are specially bad about this. Like Okage: Shadow King.
Another thing about that game is that if there was more than one of the same kind of enemy in a battle, which there always was, you couldn't even choose which one to target. It'd just be Sewer Rat X 4.

The escort missions in Dragon's Dogma are loving impossible. The people you're supposed to protect just stand right in front of the monsters and get themselves killed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I love Metal Gear Solid 3. I love it so much that I have 4 copies of it. I think the 3DS version is great, Peace Walker controls be damned. What I don't think is great though is the inability to quickly dick punch everyone at Groznyj Grad while pretending to be Raikov.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The Evil Within is the horror equivalent to monkey cheese humour.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Celery Face posted:

Another thing about that game is that if there was more than one of the same kind of enemy in a battle, which there always was, you couldn't even choose which one to target. It'd just be Sewer Rat X 4.

The escort missions in Dragon's Dogma are loving impossible. The people you're supposed to protect just stand right in front of the monsters and get themselves killed.

That's why you physically pick them up and chuck them a safe distance away while your pawns handle things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ah, so they went with the SMT/Persona (some of them) method.

Pretty much. Except you know the bullshit you're getting into with SMT. SMT Games also usually give you some means to to deter or deflect things that would otherwise instantly ruin your poo poo too.

Celery Face posted:

I skipped all the ones I could because they sucked. Except that plot-centric one where you could hop on the cow and just ride it to the next town and let the NPCs handle everything.