Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

I've somehow managed to never play a magic user in hundreds of hours spent across Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

The latest Brodual video has inspired me to finally give it a try, so I'm looking for mods to enhance a spellcaster (Destruction/Alteration, mostly).

I'm using STEP + Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition as my base and hovering right around the 254 mod limit. As far as magic-relevant mods I have:
  • Alternate Start (used this to begin my character as a novice in the College of Winterhold)
  • SPERG
  • Deadly Spell Impacts
  • Burn Freeze Shock Effects
  • Immersive Spells and Light
  • Immersive College of Winterhold
  • Smart Cast
  • Wintermyst
  • Forgotten Magic Redone
  • Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Is there anything major I'm missing for playing as a spellcaster? I'm a few hours into this character and so far it seems good, I've already encountered a wide variety of available spells and I'm finding that playing as a caster is actually pretty fun.

Dwemertech and Spectraverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
If you have Dawnguard and Dragonborn, Grimoire adds a number of nice spells, too.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
You might also want to look at Phenderix Magic Evolved for even more spells, and Heavy Armory for quarterstaves.

There's also The Staff Machine, which is supposed to create a staff for every appropriate spell, along with a crafting recipe for each staff. I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.

If you're looking for robes, Black Mage Armor adds some plain black robes and armor sets. This mod adds various recolors of the vanilla robes.

If you're interested in a mage-themed home, Caranthir Tower gives you a classic mage tower with lots of stuff to add to it. There's also Vellamo if you want something more minimalistic.

Finally, if you find yourself wanting to move enchantments around without using the CK, try Transmogrification.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I really didn't like Caranthir tower. Too many loving load screens, and I don't need a player house near dawnstar that I can see from loving Riverwood.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like Skyrim Unbound is back on the Nexus.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey everybody, especially CapnBeeb*, I created something that might interest you. I converted all the vanilla warpaints in Skyrim into RaceMenu facepaints which lets you do a little more with them (Like make them GLOW.) I mostly did it for me, but hey, somebody else might want it too. I also threw in a few other things I found in Skyrim Textures.bsa, like the face tattoos for Dremora and some other few things.

* For another one of his awesome screenshot binges.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey everybody, especially CapnBeeb*, I created something that might interest you. I converted all the vanilla warpaints in Skyrim into RaceMenu facepaints which lets you do a little more with them (Like make them GLOW.) I mostly did it for me, but hey, somebody else might want it too. I also threw in a few other things I found in Skyrim Textures.bsa, like the face tattoos for Dremora and some other few things.

I'll give it a shot.

I did some freestyle modding. I liked the basic look of the Sword of Tongues, but thought it was way too long and thick for a 1H sword, so I scaled it down to .7 in NifScope and edited the filetree to replace the vanilla dragonbone sword since I never liked the look of that thing(and the SoT's stats are a bit too high IMO). Now it's sized just right for a viking style one-handed sword and it looks like the kind of weapon I'd expect a legendary hero to wield in the late game.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Hey thread!

I bought Skyrim during the winter sale last week and wanted to enhance and spice up the vanilla experience a bit. I had already played the game for around six or seven hours on the Xbox 360, but got somewhat bored with it and found the inventory management on the controller a bit of a pain. I did a fair amount of googling, applied the official HD texture pack, installed the Mod Manager and started modding my base game. At first, I installed the unofficial Skyrim patch, Climates of Tamriel, SPERG and SkyUI, but when I finally got out in the wilderness, I was appalled by how bad Skyrim looked when it came to draw distances and LODs. Somehow I was more afraid of installing actual LOD, shoreline and landscape texture fixes because of incompability issues and thought a subtle ENB preset could fix most of my problems by limiting the view distance with depth of field. Well, I gave Seasons of Skyrim a try, but somehow managed to gently caress up the installation: I don't think the preset ever activated properly since there was no sign of depth of field and it made my game crash after a certain point in the beginning of the game. Rather than trying to root out the problem, I decided to give Skyrim a new clean install and ask for help in this thread.

So, I am going to be using these mods:
- Unofficial Skyrim patch
- SkyUI
- SPERG
- Climates of Tamriel
- Immersive armors

Now I am looking for mods that work correctly alongside the aforementioned ones. What I want is:
- better visuals: a good ENB might be enough, since I don't want to install eight different actual game world altering mods that may cause crashes and terrible visual glitches randomly
- more options for modifying your character's hair and face – these shouldn't conflict with the native armors, animations etc.

What are my best options here?

Also, I have some general questions:
1) Is the Mod Manager (the non-Nexus one) my best option for managing my mods?
2) When installing ENB presets, should I use only the ENB version mentioned in the preset or can I use a newer one?

Since I am kind of playing for the first time, I want the experience to be as smooth as possible. I still have nightmares from modding New Vegas too much on my first playthrough and not being able to finish the game because of crashes introduced by unfinished and unpolished mods.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

These Loving Eyes posted:

- more options for modifying your character's hair and face – these shouldn't conflict with the native armors, animations etc.

I would recommend Racemenu. It gives you a ton more sliders to play with during character creation, allows you more options in warpaints/tattoos if you get the plugins, and hasn't conflicted with any of the 200+ mods I've played around with. My first go around with it, I swear I spent half an hour tweaking my character's eyebrows...

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/

These Loving Eyes posted:

1) Is the Mod Manager (the non-Nexus one) my best option for managing my mods?

It has a little bit of a learning curve(and makes installing SKSE and SkyUI harder than it needs to be), but I'd definitely go with MO. A couple features I really appreciate are:

-It doesn't touch your actual install of the game,. Everything is saved in a separate directory and loaded into the game at launch, so if you screw something up, it's no sweat.
-Because it handles it's mods like this, you don't have to worry about .bsa archives and loose files overwriting each other. This is because
-You can control how MO loads it's resources independently of the .esp plugins. I was able to order my resources so that I've got a texture replacer for all weapons, a mesh replacer for all swords, and another mesh and texture replacer for a single sword. Since these mods don't have .esps, the only way to ensure my single sword doesn't get overwritten is to insure it's changes are enacted last. MO is great for this sort of thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Canemacar posted:

I did some freestyle modding. I liked the basic look of the Sword of Tongues, but thought it was way too long and thick for a 1H sword, so I scaled it down to .7 in NifScope
Would you be able to upload that?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I'll check this out when I get home, thanks! Related-question, is there a war paint for men that is just a band across the eyes/head?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Parachute posted:

I'll check this out when I get home, thanks! Related-question, is there a war paint for men that is just a band across the eyes/head?

Yes.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://modwat.ch/kereberus

So this is my current load order, everything loads up fine, but I have two issues
1.) Fire spells and effects look like blocks
2.) The outside Lanterns are far too bright

Should I get rid of realistic lighting?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I really want to use these season mods. Has anyone used them, and is it easy to just switch between the Winter and Spring mod during a game?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I don't usually self-advertise, but the mod I'm lead of, Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil just released a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2XsmMeCS9g

I know that we're sort of "those guys" who decide to do a province mod and seemingly bite off more than they can chew, but we've actually made some really good progress on Cyrodiil. Also, we've got a lot of the more complicated aspects of the engine cracked (proper Perforce integration with the Creation Kit, custom non-replacer map markers, etc). If anyone here is interested and has some modding experience, we're always recruiting.

Even if you're not interested in joining up, I'd be happy to share some of what we've learned about the Creation Kit. Map markers are a bit complicated as it requires for us to set up a common shared directory for cross-community compatibility, but once that's a thing I'll be sure to post it here. We'll probably set it up on a Git or something.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I just installed way too many mods at once against all my prior experience with New Vegas and Oblivion, but surprisingly it is working out pretty well. Mod Organizer is a dream, the Texture Pack Combiner has massively simplified the task of finding good textures and getting them to work together and the Nexus is remarkably less horrible to use than it once was. Best of all, my game has gone without a hitch so far, except for a few wacky visual bugs I can't be bothered to hunt down. It's early yet but I am just amazed I even got this overly modded install to launch and not crash on the first try. It really has gotten so much better.

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
I just started playing Skyrim for the first time. There are some mods I'd like to use such as SPERG but... I cannot download them from ANYWHERE? The only place that seems to host ~all mods is the Nexus place and it only offers monthly subscriptions, no free options. Seriously? Am I just stupid and can't Google?

I have so far found like zero mods I want from the Steam workshop. Also the search for that seems totally useless. It seems to return just a bunch of unrelated mods (with my keyword appearing NOWHERE).

Currently playing a sneaky thief/assasin/rear end in a top hat kind of guy and I'm also slightly frustrated with daggers because they seem pretty much useless. I do not have any of the higher perks (lvl 16 or so) yet. Another stupid question: Does it make any difference which mouse button I click? The character just seems to swing pretty much the same way no matter how/when I click and the battle seems kind silly because of that. Been using the bow as much as possible.

Hyvok fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Hyvok posted:

I just started playing Skyrim for the first time. There are some mods I'd like to use such as SPERG but... I cannot download them from ANYWHERE? The only place that seems to host ~all mods is the Nexus place and it only offers monthly subscriptions, no free options. Seriously? Am I just stupid and can't Google?

Just don't tick any of the payment boxes when creating your account.

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Just don't tick any of the payment boxes when creating your account.

So I'm just stupid. Thanks!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyvok posted:

I have so far found like zero mods I want from the Steam workshop. Also the search for that seems totally useless. It seems to return just a bunch of unrelated mods (with my keyword appearing NOWHERE).

Currently playing a sneaky thief/assasin/rear end in a top hat kind of guy and I'm also slightly frustrated with daggers because they seem pretty much useless. I do not have any of the higher perks (lvl 16 or so) yet. Another stupid question: Does it make any difference which mouse button I click? The character just seems to swing pretty much the same way no matter how/when I click and the battle seems kind silly because of that. Been using the bow as much as possible.

As far as I can tell there's absolutely no reason to use daggers until you can get the stealth perk that gives them x15 sneak attack damage.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Well daggers also look cooler than most of the one-handed weapons. That's a good reason to use them in my books.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

As far as I can tell there's absolutely no reason to use daggers until you can get the stealth perk that gives them x15 sneak attack damage.

An improved swing speed but similar damage on enchants make them a superior platform for enchanted damage.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Hyvok posted:

... Does it make any difference which mouse button I click? The character just seems to swing pretty much the same way no matter how/when I click and the battle seems kind silly because of that. Been using the bow as much as possible.

Left click to activate your right hand, right click to activate your left hand.

For all melee: Rapidly clicking the left key/right key on its own will do flurry attacks where you swing back and forth rapidly.

For melee/shield:Hold left click to power attack with your left hand, hold right click and press left to shield bash, hold right and then hold left to power bash.

For dual wielding: Clicking both at once will do a quick attack with both weapons. Holding both at once will do a fancy power attack with both weapons.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I really want to use these season mods. Has anyone used them, and is it easy to just switch between the Winter and Spring mod during a game?

I haven't used them yet, but I was thinking of trying the Summer Edition from that same site on my next playthrough for a change of pace.

My main concern is how compatible it will be with all of the mods I run that modify cities/settlements like Dawn of Skyrim, Expanded Towns and Cities, Better City Entrances, Nernie's City and Village Expansion.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I haven't read the last 30 or so pages, so apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere.

Is Skyrim Realistic Overhaul the same as Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul? S.T.E.P. says that the former is only available via torrent, and I can't find a site that my anti-virus programs don't (probably legitimately) block. If they are different, does someone have SRO available?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a mod that increases the damage and stamina cost of using weapons, while majorly decreasing the swing speed?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So I was wondering if there was a mod that reduces the number of dragons that haunt you?

Like, when I bring loot to my house and leave, 50/50 on a dragon appearing. When I go to some podunk town to sell stuff, 50/50 on a dragon jumping me when I leave the store. While I'm walking through the mountains, 50/50 on a dragon just coming out of nowhere. And it's not like these things can even hurt me very much with my 80 cold res, legendary ebony armor and potions for the other elements! Every fight with a dragon is just a horrible slog for me now, because you have to bow them a bunch before they decide to finally land so that I can cave their skull in. The very first time I fought one was super scary and fun, but the dragons(which are supposed to be a pillar of the story) become completely meaningless after a while because they're basically just another random encounter. It's really quite the sad feat when a game makes you go :barf: instead of :ohdear: when you're dealing with god drat dragons.

I've unlocked 23 words by now and still sit on a huge pile of souls, so it's not like I would need dragons to jump me every three days or something like that. I would be totally fine with them being gated to places of power, bounties and rare world encounters. But nope, there are a million of them and they patiently wait to jump me one after the other.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

So I was wondering if there was a mod that reduces the number of dragons that haunt you?

Like, when I bring loot to my house and leave, 50/50 on a dragon appearing. When I go to some podunk town to sell stuff, 50/50 on a dragon jumping me when I leave the store. While I'm walking through the mountains, 50/50 on a dragon just coming out of nowhere. And it's not like these things can even hurt me very much with my 80 cold res, legendary ebony armor and potions for the other elements! Every fight with a dragon is just a horrible slog for me now, because you have to bow them a bunch before they decide to finally land so that I can cave their skull in. The very first time I fought one was super scary and fun, but the dragons(which are supposed to be a pillar of the story) become completely meaningless after a while because they're basically just another random encounter. It's really quite the sad feat when a game makes you go :barf: instead of :ohdear: when you're dealing with god drat dragons.

I've unlocked 23 words by now and still sit on a huge pile of souls, so it's not like I would need dragons to jump me every three days or something like that. I would be totally fine with them being gated to places of power, bounties and rare world encounters. But nope, there are a million of them and they patiently wait to jump me one after the other.

Dragonborn will get you some fun words that can force them to come down and land for you - you can ride them or just murder up close.

Elsewise, they do tend to orbit the dragon-marked places on the map, and sometimes show at civilization - unless you fast-travel, then gently caress you dragons be all up in your poo poo. :unsmigghh: If they're not on top of you right after you fast-travel, they'll be there as soon as you exit whatever building you went into. (I'm looking at *you*, Hogwarts Winterhold... assholes just *love* stooping on me as I'm crossing the damaged section of the bridge. :argh:)

I never looked for a fix for it, myself, I just murder and continue on my way. <shrug>

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Dragonborn will get you some fun words that can force them to come down and land for you - you can ride them or just murder up close.

Elsewise, they do tend to orbit the dragon-marked places on the map, and sometimes show at civilization - unless you fast-travel, then gently caress you dragons be all up in your poo poo. :unsmigghh: If they're not on top of you right after you fast-travel, they'll be there as soon as you exit whatever building you went into. (I'm looking at *you*, Hogwarts Winterhold... assholes just *love* stooping on me as I'm crossing the damaged section of the bridge. :argh:)

I never looked for a fix for it, myself, I just murder and continue on my way. <shrug>

IIRC the shout that forces dragons to land is a part of the base game. You get it as part of the main quest.

I know there's a mod somewhere that just completely removes the random dragon spawns, for if you want to just roleplay as a regular non-dragonborn guy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a mod that increases the damage and stamina cost of using weapons, while majorly decreasing the swing speed?

Maybe try SkyTweak? I know it lets you change 2H speed and you can adjust weapon damage and stamina costs for specific things like power attacks & blocking, but it may not do enough if you're wanting more of a comprehensive overhaul. It's pretty neat for making slight adjustments to a whole bunch of stuff though.

^^^edit: Skyrim Unbound lets you be a regular dude instead of the Dragonborn if you want (you can shut off all soul absorbing, word walls, shouting, no dragons, etc. to the degree that you want). Looks like it's gone from :nexus: again but this is the guy's manual download link from his Steam Workshop (link) It's pretty fun just to be a random adventurer, especially if you don't want elements of the main quest automatically forcing themselves onto your character.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 30, 2014

Parachute
May 18, 2003
"Live Another Life" lets you play as a variety of roles that aren't Dragonborn (property owner, vampire, necromancer, thief, etc.) and you only have to start the Dragonborn quest if you want.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

IIRC the shout that forces dragons to land is a part of the base game. You get it as part of the main quest.

I know there's a mod somewhere that just completely removes the random dragon spawns, for if you want to just roleplay as a regular non-dragonborn guy.

Yeah, there's that one, but I've had more luck throwing Bend Will.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I believe Deadly Combat and Ultimate Combat accomplish the first two though I'm hesitant to recommend DC because it's pretty old by now and won't be updated because the author has moved on AFAIK. Not sure about mods that decrease the swing speed though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the input! Seems like I have to put up with the slog until I get that shout. I'm up to elder dragons by now, but didn't follow the main quest that much. Free roaming and such, ya know?

I found an old mod that reduced the spawns, but it sadly isn't compatible with the latest version of skyrim and was discontinued.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to get downloads to complete more consistently when it comes to the nexus? I tend to do alright until I'm trying to download a huge mod, then it'll just say completed at like 80% and have to start over.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Phetz posted:

I believe Deadly Combat and Ultimate Combat accomplish the first two though I'm hesitant to recommend DC because it's pretty old by now and won't be updated because the author has moved on AFAIK. Not sure about mods that decrease the swing speed though.

Ultimate Combat is fantastic, I recommend it over all the other ones.

It has a MCM menu (or just MCM?) that lets you configure a bunch of different options.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way to get downloads to complete more consistently when it comes to the nexus? I tend to do alright until I'm trying to download a huge mod, then it'll just say completed at like 80% and have to start over.

Try downloading them manually outside of MO.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Deadly Dragons makes dragon fights a bit more interesting. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3829/
It also lets you increase the spawn rate, and maybe(?) decrease it too.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Timing is Everything will let you adjust the frequency of dragon attacks and the spawn chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Would you be able to upload that?

Here it is. I threw the whole thing into a 7z archive. Just rename the filetree and meshes back to how the Sword of Tongue has it and it should work. The sheath and swordleft meshes are for Dual Sheath Redux if you use it.

http://www.filedropper.com/newdragonbonesword

• Locked thread