Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I am not a book posted:

^^^ "You ignorant oval office". You are mad mad mad about melted sand. Have you considered alcohol and/or sex? ^^^

If I wanted to justify myself to goons more than I had to, I'd post in E/N. OP hasn't been updated in years, and the fact that fanboys exist doesn't mean that everyone who wants to buy AMD is a 1337 haxxor.

Well no, mostly it means that most people who want to buy AMD are sadly misinformed.

Also I can confirm half the people who jumped on you to buy intel were diehard AMD crew people back when they were good CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

BurritoJustice posted:

Maybe because this is a thread for recommending hardware that is a good purchase, you ignorant oval office. If you had come in saying "I specifically need AMD for *this* reason, irrelevant of it being worse" you would've got recommendations. Asking vaguely "what is a good AMD processor?" is going to get you recommended Intel because for the same money the Intel processors are objectively better.
This is a thread for discussing AMD you ignorant oval office. If he wanted generic advice he would have asked in the parts thread. Instead, he went to the AMD thread for advice on an AMD processor.

Jesus, how badly does your dick bleed after you jerk off with an intel processor?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I am not a book posted:

^^^ "You ignorant oval office". You are mad mad mad about melted sand. Have you considered alcohol and/or sex? ^^^

You called us all dick sucking spergs because we recommended you something which we had no reason to believe wouldn't be in your best interests, so you might in fact be a bit of an rear end in a top hat?

^^
He also posted in the Parts Picking thread, which I was referring to. Should've been more specific.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

You called us all dick sucking spergs because we recommended you something which we had no reason to believe wouldn't be in your best interests, so you might in fact be a bit of an rear end in a top hat?

^^
He also posted in the Parts Picking thread, which I was referring to. Should've been more specific.

Well, I would never call anyone a dick sucker. Sperg yes, but dick sucker is pretty sexist and I wouldn't be that rude.

edit: oh poo poo I was wrong, sorry about that!

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 30, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the recommendation that he go intel and stop wasting his and everyone elses time is still pretty valid

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got an AMD FX-8300 and an MSI motherboard combo from tigerdirect for $175 a while back. It's just for virtual machines that don't do much heavy lifting so slower but a little more parallel is fine. The 8300 is around $100 usually (but is OEM packaged so you need your own heatsink), and the 8320 goes on sale for close to that regularly. Check the processor TDP before you buy, there are newer low power 95W versions of even the higher clocked 8 core models, but the older revisions are 125W and so they use more power and require more cooling. The Vishera section here lists them all with some specs except for price:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors

I can't hear you guys fighting over the 80x32mm screamer fan on my 1.4ghz thunderbird.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am not a book posted:

If I wanted to justify myself to goons more than I had to, I'd post in E/N. OP hasn't been updated in years, and the fact that fanboys exist doesn't mean that everyone who wants to buy AMD is a 1337 haxxor.

Do not behave in this manner, onlookers.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
My Athlon II x4 640 is still good enough to play all games I want at 1080p, thanks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

adorai posted:

Jesus, how badly does your dick bleed after you jerk off with an intel processor?

Not that badly since they went pinless :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Riso posted:

My Athlon II x4 640 is still good enough to play all games I want at 1080p, thanks.

Likewise, but with a Phenom II 965 BE. The only problem is that there are no AM3 motherboards in an ITX form factor, so I can't repurpose this perfectly good chip into a smallish HTPC a la Silverstone ML07 and use a riser card for the GPU. It's all gotta be mid-tower sized cases turned on their sides, and that's just rubbish.

Fun fact, I recommend AMD parts to people I don't like. I get to maintain the appearance of helping them, while at the same time, trapping them on AM3 and 880FX.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I am not a book posted:

You are being an rear end in a top hat to the people you came to for advice. If that's your usual strategy, you are without doubt an ignorant oval office. There are much better ways to get what you want, to say nothing about being a member of human society.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Rastor posted:

You are being an rear end in a top hat to the people you came to for advice. If that's your usual strategy, you are without doubt an ignorant oval office. There are much better ways to get what you want, to say nothing about being a member of human society.
Imagine I emptyquoted this like 1000 times. No, 2000

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't think you see this many dicks and cunts outside of a swingers convention.

Can Intel invest in AMD to keep them going if they are worried about trust issues?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keyvin posted:

I don't think you see this many dicks and cunts outside of a swingers convention.

Can Intel invest in AMD to keep them going if they are worried about trust issues?

They could just say we are still feeling very sorry we shafted you big time in the past and hand them another few billion as a good will gesture.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Likewise, but with a Phenom II 965 BE. The only problem is that there are no AM3 motherboards in an ITX form factor, so I can't repurpose this perfectly good chip into a smallish HTPC a la Silverstone ML07 and use a riser card for the GPU. It's all gotta be mid-tower sized cases turned on their sides, and that's just rubbish.

Fun fact, I recommend AMD parts to people I don't like. I get to maintain the appearance of helping them, while at the same time, trapping them on AM3 and 880FX.

My phenom II 965 BE would still be good enough. I upgraded because I wanted a PC that I could play SCII 4x4 games on - then lost interest without ever playing a single multiplayer game. What makes it even dumber is I realized games are a colossal waste of time. I fire DosBox or Civ 4 up from time to time and that is about it. Without gaming I'm expecting an Ivy 3750 to last for about 8 years if I never upgrade from Windows 8. At least my parents have a really overpowered and loud web browsing PC.

When will AMD update their roadmap?

I'm going back to school to get my masters. I am interested in HSA programming techniques as a potential thesis. Would the cheapest option be to purchase a refurb craptop with an A4 processor for $250-$350?

Realized I just need a cheap mobo + processor + case. I have an old micro ATX power supply, a sata laptop HD, and I can borrow RAM and a cd drive from my PC. Looks like I can do that for like $130.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 30, 2014

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Menacer posted:

i have an in-order commitment to interrupting your bullshit and explaining your faults. no exceptions.
fault handler not found, check ur if flag mask

keyvin posted:

Even a few years ago AMD wasn't the main competitive threat. ARM's growing up, mobile volumes are an order of magnitude over server/desktops or consoles. Antitrust against Intel now would be best executed as nationalizing the process tech, and given the actual fab locations that seems difficult to manage.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

keyvin posted:

When will AMD update their roadmap?

I would assume some time in February. The confluence of a shift to HBM products, potential announcement of the 300-series of GPUs, shift to 20nm process in 2015, and the scheduled investor relations conference are probably a good sign. They've been hinting that we might not see any 16nm FinFET products until 2016, though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Riso posted:

Phenom II X2 and a Radeon 6850 I got cheap because my 9600 GT died.
Just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark at normal settings with SSAO and got 79 fps min, 120 max.
The first game that I was interested in and couldn't play was DA: Inquisition a month ago.

Was this the last good CPU AMD made 5 years ago that y'all are referring to?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sauer kraut posted:

Phenom II X2 and a Radeon 6850 I got cheap because my 9600 GT died.
Just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark at normal settings with SSAO and got 79 fps min, 120 max.
The first game that I was interested in and couldn't play was DA: Inquisition a month ago.

Was this the last good CPU AMD made 5 years ago that y'all are referring to?

I wouldn't say that specific processor, but yeah, I feel like it's been all downhill since the Phenom II quad-cores.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The Phenom II X6 1100T was AMD's last hurrah on the high end, it was pretty competitive with the high end Nehalmen Intel's at the time, but once Sandy Bridge came out it was pretty much all over for AMD as a performance desktop option.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The Phenom II X6 1100T was AMD's last hurrah on the high end, it was pretty competitive with the high end Nehalmen Intel's at the time, but once Sandy Bridge came out it was pretty much all over for AMD as a performance desktop option.

It was a double whammy: Sandy Bridge had incredible performance, and AMD's new architecture had deep fundamental problems that meant it was 2 years before they produced another CPU as fast as the Phenom II 965. You can't afford to come out with a new product that is worse than your old product in this business.

AMD had some really cool niche products creep out too, like the E-350 CPUs that were in netbooks ~ 2010 and 2011. Way better experience than an Atom for the same price and battery life.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

JawnV6 posted:

fault handler not found, check ur if flag mask
seems like i've thrown you for a loop. you've mispredicted your own problems and are in need of error correction. my argument is predicated on your ability to remain coherent with reality.

let's get real here. step out of the ring -- no protection, no supervision. you're consistently on the wrong path and should unconditionally surrender.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Menacer posted:

seems like i've jmpd you into a loop. you've mispredicted your branch and are in need of a parity check

let's get real mode here. step out of the privelege ring -- no protected mode, no supervisor bit set. you're consistently on the wrong path and should unconditionally jmp.

Makes a little more sense this way.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 31, 2014

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The Phenom II X6 1100T was AMD's last hurrah on the high end...

Yep, still using mine. :)

The most recent machine I bought with an AMD chip in it was because I wanted an integrated Radeon GPU. The A4-1200 sucks, but it sucked less than comparable (~4W TDP) Atoms in the graphics department.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

keyvin posted:

The anti trust issue thing is a old holdover fear from the 80's/early 90's. As the mega mergers between banks, telecomm, and media companies have shown in the last 10-15 yr if the company is big enough it doesn't have anything to worry about anymore as far as anti trust regulation goes. The regulators are all too willing to look the other way or even help companies get around the rules or rewrite them if necessary.

Even when they do gently caress up colossally these mega corps are often shielded from much or even any sort of legal action and even if found guilty and fined often have their fines drastically reduced at a later date like BP did with the Deepwater Horizon oil spills or any of the banks and the robosigning scandals. Anti trust is a dead issue in this day and age and I don't know why it keeps being brought up as a serious issue anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The anti trust issue thing is a old holdover fear from the 80's/early 90's. As the mega mergers between banks, telecomm, and media companies have shown in the last 10-15 yr if the company is big enough it doesn't have anything to worry about anymore as far as anti trust regulation goes. The regulators are all too willing to look the other way or even help companies get around the rules or rewrite them if necessary.

Even when they do gently caress up colossally these mega corps are often shielded from much or even any sort of legal action and even if found guilty and fined often have their fines drastically reduced at a later date like BP did with the Deepwater Horizon oil spills or any of the banks and the robosigning scandals. Anti trust is a dead issue in this day and age and I don't know why it keeps being brought up as a serious issue anymore.

It should be noted: Fines are also tax deductible.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I didn't know that.

Should've suspected that though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I didn't know that.

Should've suspected that though.

Newsweek ran an article on the problems with fining big banks being pointless regardless of how big or small the fines are. http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/07/giant-penalties-are-giant-tax-write-offs-wall-street-279993.html

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Yep, still using mine. :)

The most recent machine I bought with an AMD chip in it was because I wanted an integrated Radeon GPU. The A4-1200 sucks, but it sucked less than comparable (~4W TDP) Atoms in the graphics department.

Can you tell me a game/software where you are GPU-bound instead of CPU? I think currently Spintires is the only game I have that meets the description. Silvermont Atoms have Ivy Bridge GPU slice(1/4 of the HD4000) and it's a pretty good performer TDP/SDP considered. I would've taken some higher-end Mullins SoC notebook if there were any available in 10.1" form but thanks to Intel giving out Atom designs for free to OEMs you can't choose AMD there either.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That... defeats the entire point of fines. Which is the point, I guess.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know why this is horrible and shocking but it is. Jesus loving christ, they run the tables on us so easily.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some lawyer argued that:

* Business liabilities are tax deductible.
* Fines are a business liability.
* Ergo, fines are tax deductible.

Under the letter of the law this makes complete sense. Under the spirit of the law...

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 1, 2015

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some lawyer argued that:

Under the letter of the law this makes complete sense. Under the spirit of the law...

Yeah, it makes perfect sense, but in the same way that I would totally understand why a mountain lion was killing me. Predatory as fuuuuuck.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

blowfish posted:

That... defeats the entire point of fines. Which is the point, I guess.

Well, technically, it defeats 35% of the point of fines. Assuming your corporation actually shows profits.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some lawyer argued that:

Nah, under the letter of the law this is illegal; congress made fines not deductible in 1969.

Restitution isn't considered a fine however and settlements are sometimes ambiguous about what amount of them is legally a fine. There are teams of lawyers arguing over just how much of anything counts as a fine and minimizing that amount.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Does anyone know of a good pound-for-pound comparison between the A10-5700 and the A10-7800? I'm trying to weigh the value of upgrading my APU/mobo, all else being equal. I don't feel like paying $250 if I'm not getting a notable performance boost (gaming).

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

evensevenone posted:

Well, technically, it defeats 35% of the point of fines. Assuming your corporation actually shows profits.

As if any bank has a 35% effective tax rate. :v:

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Does anyone know of a good pound-for-pound comparison between the A10-5700 and the A10-7800? I'm trying to weigh the value of upgrading my APU/mobo, all else being equal. I don't feel like paying $250 if I'm not getting a notable performance boost (gaming).

I think this is the closest comparison. All games in the benches have used iGPU though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kaveri-review-a8-7600-a10-7850k

All the non-mobile AMD stuff is within 10..15% of each other, even if they're 2 generations or any model number apart.
Read a few pages in to see how badly they got destroyed by ancient i5's.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Rosoboronexport posted:

I think this is the closest comparison. All games in the benches have used iGPU though.

That's exactly what I was looking for. My case can't fit a proper discrete GPU, and the power supply certainly couldn't handle it, which is why I went with an A10.

sauer kraut posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kaveri-review-a8-7600-a10-7850k

All the non-mobile AMD stuff is within 10..15% of each other, even if they're 2 generations or any model number apart.
Read a few pages in to see how badly they got destroyed by ancient i5's.

Yeah a 10% bump for $250 (A10-7800 & FM2+ miniATX mobo) probably won't fit the bill. I'll wait for the 8000s. Hopefully they still make a 65w TDP version.

Thanks for the links!

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 4, 2015

• Locked thread