Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I thought New Reign sounded surprisingly good live. The two (or three?) he played off of Dark Matters didn't do it for me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheMirage posted:

I thought New Reign sounded surprisingly good live. The two (or three?) he played off of Dark Matters didn't do it for me either.

I agree that alot if the Dark Matters stuff blended together bit on the other hand March of the Poozers was probably one of the highlights of the set for me. That song was pretty amazing live.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
In line at Center Stage with a 10 year old kid who is SUPER psyched to see Ziltoid. Had to be explained who Devin is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Saw Devin at Center Stage this was my first time seeing him live and holy poo poo the man can put on a show.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Hey Center Stage buddies, I hope y'all went as nuts as I did when Bad Devil started.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

slogsdon posted:

Hey Center Stage buddies, I hope y'all went as nuts as I did when Bad Devil started.

I was saving my load for Kingdom sorry.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Devy has a pretty deep conversation with :v: Jamey Jasta on his podcast, it's pretty interesting: link

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

KildarX posted:

I was saving my load for Kingdom sorry.

lol if you didn't have enough loads for both and also Grace

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Willeh posted:

Devy has a pretty deep conversation with :v: Jamey Jasta on his podcast, it's pretty interesting: link

That was a good interview though I kinda wish Jamey would shut up. Part of me thinks that the interviewer babbling is part of the necessary process to get the interviewee to open up. There are quite a few podcasts where the host has the same sort of babbling style like Nerdist or Maron. But the people they talk to tend to be much more open and honest when this happens, which I appreciate.

I wanna hear Devin's $10,000 song with the nickleback producer.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

slogsdon posted:

lol if you didn't have enough loads for both and also Grace

I got pretty hammered during Animals as Leaders, which amazed me from a technical, holy poo poo I am no where near close as technically good at guitar as these guys, stand point, but bored me from a, holy poo poo am I really standing here watching a windows screen saver at a concert stand point. So I spent most of Townsend slumped against the sound board guys guard rails.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like Animals As Leaders but man their stuff just sort of runs together after awhile.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

been listening to Dark Matters raw at work on repeat a lot today, it's really beginning to grow on me..

I AM NOWHERE! I AM NO ONE I AM NOWHERE!

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

Varg posted:

been listening to Dark Matters raw at work on repeat a lot today, it's really beginning to grow on me..

I AM NOWHERE! I AM NO ONE I AM NOWHERE!

Welcome to the dialogue free Dark Matters friend.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

stab posted:

So guess who had to give away Devin tickets to take care of a sick child and sick wife?

<------------ this guy

:(

I was on the guest list for the Chicago show, but I had to fly home for Thanksgiving. Stupid families. :hfive:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGQjRMXg28

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Went to the Denver show with my wife. It was her first metal concert. We both had a good time, but Devin seemed worn down. He s talking about how the crowd was weird the whole tour.

I really think that it is the pairing. More than half the crowd was there for AaL, and they are really the opposite of Devin in many ways. Whoever said watching them was like watching a windows wallpaper in this thread made me crack up halfway through the first song. I was trying to think about why I wasn't getting into them and that quote floated up through my subconscious.

AaL really didn't convey any sort of emotion. It was all thumping riffs interwoven with mastebatory diddly-doos. They are excellent musicians, but their music seems to exist solely for thumping and diddly-doos. It was like generic boom-tisk dance music for metal heads.

Meanwhile Devin is one big ball of emotion. All his songs are about stuff like a recent death, guilt, self doubt, staying positive and other poo poo that he feels. I think it was hard for the AaL crowd to relate. They don't want to feel anything, they just want to go bonkers. There is nothing wrong with that, but it meshes poorly with Devin.

Monuments was really good though. That is one talented front man.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rusty Kettle posted:

Went to the Denver show with my wife. It was her first metal concert. We both had a good time, but Devin seemed worn down. He s talking about how the crowd was weird the whole tour.

I really think that it is the pairing. More than half the crowd was there for AaL, and they are really the opposite of Devin in many ways. Whoever said watching them was like watching a windows wallpaper in this thread made me crack up halfway through the first song. I was trying to think about why I wasn't getting into them and that quote floated up through my subconscious.

AaL really didn't convey any sort of emotion. It was all thumping riffs interwoven with mastebatory diddly-doos. They are excellent musicians, but their music seems to exist solely for thumping and diddly-doos. It was like generic boom-tisk dance music for metal heads.

Meanwhile Devin is one big ball of emotion. All his songs are about stuff like a recent death, guilt, self doubt, staying positive and other poo poo that he feels. I think it was hard for the AaL crowd to relate. They don't want to feel anything, they just want to go bonkers. There is nothing wrong with that, but it meshes poorly with Devin.

Agreed. I can't remember where I saw the quote but I think Devin is going to take hiatus after this. At the ATL show he said straight up he's beat from playing for so long consistently.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man, he's not playing Glasgow until March and I'm really worried about how he's going to be then if he's getting burned out already :(

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

KildarX posted:

Agreed. I can't remember where I saw the quote but I think Devin is going to take hiatus after this. At the ATL show he said straight up he's beat from playing for so long consistently.

Based on his twitter I fully expect a hiatus of some sort. Dude has worn himself out with all the albums and touring he's done the past few years.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Oh man, I wish Dev didn't mention that LA producer thing on that podcast. I really, really, really want to hear what that song sounds like. Release it for free!

I appreciate and understand his reasons for not releasing it though.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

jonathan posted:

I was in Vancouver while he played a show at the commodore a bunch of days ago. I didn't know he was playing or I would have went. Instead I was across the street at some bar called Joe's Apartment trying to get laid and failing.

drat son. A little late on the comment here, but don't miss a show at the commodore. That place is money. I've found it is easier to get laid at that place than other places on the strip in Vancouver.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

My wife and I went to the Dec 13th show at the Gothic Theater. Killer performance by everyone, though I agree the energy was a little weird. Not the best setlist for 1. his audience or 2. AAL's audience, trying to walk a bit of a middle road with some instrumental bits. I dunno. I loved it, had a blast, and am very glad he was able to come through despite having a kind of lovely tour. Looking forward to the RAH performance though no way in hell will I be able to fly out for it - oh well, there's actual culture here and I can probably count on him to come back to somewhere in CO pretty soon so long as he's touring the U.S. at all. He took a moment to speak to me at the show which was pretty cool, but it was really obvious he was beat.

Anyone else really dig Monuments? Those guys were fun as hell live, never heard of 'em before.

Ziltoid 2 is a great album, though the best thing he's put out lately is Casualties of Cool in my opinion. Love his "gently caress it, I'll make a __________ album" approach to writing music. I really doubt any musician looking back on life thinks to himself "I'm probably gladdest of all that I never took any risks with my career."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Agreed posted:

I really doubt any musician looking back on life thinks to himself "I'm probably gladdest of all that I never took any risks with my career."

Don Henley.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Man, he's not playing Glasgow until March and I'm really worried about how he's going to be then if he's getting burned out already :(

I'm wondering the same thing. Here's hoping for an awesome gig.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
I seem to have an issue: every time I put Sky Blue back on my phone for music to listen at work, I keep it on repeat the whole day. I feel this is neglect to the other albums I have chosen to put on my phone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Anyone else very, very strongly prefer Devin's version of "Fallout?" Has the perfect balance of his vocals and Anneke's for that particular material. She has a great voice and it is very well used on Sky Blue - if anything dude is getting better and better at mixing female voices, very noticeably so compared to his first outing with Anneke back in, what, 2006 on Synchestra? The vocal recordings are all great, but that particular case I feel he chose the wrong track to put on the album vs. promote the material with. Doesn't end up mattering much since he's transparent as heck with his output and you can stick whichever one you want in the album playlist.

There are some spots on the album where for probably the first time I can hear Devin's voice struggling to hit higher notes. Gives them a ragged quality that really works when he goes for it, but I've seen a lot of artists hit this point with their voices, and if he doesn't take some serious time off I really doubt he has many more albums worth of sustained higher notes. He was amazing live at the Denver show, but I could tell he was reaching very hard for some of his screams, even with his style that relies more on a lot of amplification and severe vocal fry (in my opinion, a little easier to scream for sustained periods and MUCH easier to transition between normal and growl/scream). He seems to be pretty aware of it all, though, and Casualties of Cool is a great demonstration that if he wants to focus on his non-ball-crusher vocal range, he's fantastic there too. In any case, really looking forward to future material to see what he's going to do to make the most of his changing physicality as he's getting older. Good things happen, too, and he's finding a lot of them :)

Anyway... War Princess and Dimension Z are my favorite tracks off of Dark Matters. The whole double album is very, very well mixed and produced, but those two tracks have some stuff going on that is unusually dense even for him. Deathray is fun as hell, though. I enjoy his goofy rear end Poozer and Ziltoid voices. Glad that both albums seem like they'll have some lasting power, too; one of the coolest things about his music is that it doesn't seem to wear on me as much. I'm still finding new poo poo in the mix in Terria when I listen to it, ten years on, and it stops his material from getting stale as easily.

Fafenefenoiby
Aug 18, 2005

LEPROSY

Agreed posted:

Ziltoid 2 is a great album, though the best thing he's put out lately is Casualties of Cool in my opinion.

Completely agree. That album was a labour of love, and I feel like it really shows when contrasted against Sky Blue/Z2. I kind of feel the same way about Ghost Vs Deconstruction; something more passionate compared with something he perhaps felt obligated to do.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pretty interesting interview he did last month with ultimate guitar.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/devin_townsend_i_wanna_be_part_of_something_i_dont_wanna_be_the_thing.html

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That is some interview. Were there any details on that LA producer thing?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I kind of skipped over Casualties originally because I prefer Devin's heavier stuff, but I've gone back and picked it up and it's actually pretty great to end a stressful day.

Also I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to Devin Townsend as he has quickly become one of my favorite artists. I just really wish there was a good opportunity for me to see a live show.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Garrand posted:

I kind of skipped over Casualties originally because I prefer Devin's heavier stuff, but I've gone back and picked it up and it's actually pretty great to end a stressful day.

Also I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to Devin Townsend as he has quickly become one of my favorite artists. I just really wish there was a good opportunity for me to see a live show.

Can't believe I forgot to buy a ticket for his Royal Albert Hall show, it's 2 days before my birthday. Would have been such a treat for myself. :mad:

Goobish
May 31, 2011

spookygonk posted:

Can't believe I forgot to buy a ticket for his Royal Albert Hall show, it's 2 days before my birthday. Would have been such a treat for myself. :mad:

If you want to feel better or compete with sob stories, I missed a loving VIP meet and greet with Devin when he played in Chicago. Thanks to my dad having medical emergencies (that could have been prevented if he gave a poo poo about his health), and I got to play nurse 24/7 for god knows how long. I live like 5 hours away from Chicago, so yeah I was pretty loving pissed for awhile. And I'm like 80% positive I was going to be proposed to by my bf at that show. Just to add more anger and resentment.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Goobish posted:

If you want to feel better or compete with sob stories, I missed a loving VIP meet and greet with Devin when he played in Chicago. Thanks to my dad having medical emergencies (that could have been prevented if he gave a poo poo about his health), and I got to play nurse 24/7 for god knows how long. I live like 5 hours away from Chicago, so yeah I was pretty loving pissed for awhile. And I'm like 80% positive I was going to be proposed to by my bf at that show. Just to add more anger and resentment.

This wasn't meant to be a contest, but you win.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"win."

Goobish
May 31, 2011

spookygonk posted:

This wasn't meant to be a contest, but you win.

Haha, yeah "winning" that contest sucks. I was so upset I couldn't even listen to Dark Matters until just recently. I'm starting to be less emo about it. :emo: And holy poo poo Z2 is loving amazing and all y'all saying Casualties of Cool is better, well, I wish Queen Blattaria's wrath upon you, ya Poozers.

Sky Blue has some great tracks too, but I am obsessed with the War Princess and hope to loving god that there will be a Z3 with Queen Blattaria and Ziltoid squaring off. Or I just hope Devin works more with whoever did Blattaria's vocals. Has he worked with her before? I used to love Anneke but if Dev has or does more material with the war princess chick (too lazy to look up her name) then I'll have my new favorite female vocalist for Devin.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

He toured with her band, Stolen Babies, back in 2012, I think? She filled in a few songs, notably Colonial Boy and I imagine he built Queen B the War P for her. I love her part, too, and Devin has a great knack for finding unique talent and fitting it in to an interesting place. I think Decon was a testing ground for both orchestra work and guest roles into what he seems to be enjoying the most these days for writing more beyond guitars and playing less.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'd totally dig an album where Anneke, Dominique Lenore Persi & Ché Aimee Dorval sang that Devin wrote.

Holy poo poo a covers album with the three of them doing tracks from DTP. Now I'm sad it'll never happen. :(

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I really liked Che in Casualties but am sick to death of Anneke.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've really, really loved Anneke, but am, too. I used to listen to The Gathering a lot, as well, but find myself always skipping anything that comes on in my mix. Can't say why exactly. I'm glad Devin worked with her as he did. I think she's a lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Anneke news: Her project with Arjen Luccassen has released a track (and a "calm version")

It's very typical both of them mixed together. I dig the choirs.

• Locked thread