Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The cut scenes from Fire Walk with Me are about as long as Fire Walk with Me, so there's that to consider along with the bonus material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Are the cut scenes arranged in any coherent fashion like a film, or is it just a collection of deleted scenes?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rollersnake posted:

Are the cut scenes arranged in any coherent fashion like a film, or is it just a collection of deleted scenes?

The latter, although rumors abound that a fanedit that incorporates those scenes into the film exists, if only one knew where to look.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Well, technically, I guess, the cut scenes are arranged in film order. They're edited together to happen chronologically parallel with the film.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The extra parts of FWWM are separate from the film and can be played in sequence (as a film in itself). The parts are in chronological order. DL hates re-editing films to incorporate new material and he doesn't permit official releases of extended cuts. Yes, there is a fan edit which is out there, :filez: and I don't know where to access it. DL didn't even allow chapter access on the menu of Mulholland Drive DVD, though that might have changed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The extra parts of FWWM are separate from the film and can be played in sequence (as a film in itself). The parts are in chronological order. DL hates re-editing films to incorporate new material and he doesn't permit official releases of extended cuts. Yes, there is a fan edit which is out there, :filez: and I don't know where to access it. DL didn't even allow chapter access on the menu of Mulholland Drive DVD, though that might have changed.

The Mulholland Drive blu-ray I own definitely has a chapter select. I think his stance on sticking to whatever version was officially released is very commendable, though. It's certainly better than turning a decent film into a bloated mess out of some delusional sense of ownership.

By the way, whoever recommended Lars von Trier's Kingdom was spot on. That show is absolutely amazing. My favourite part is probably that von Trier shows up during the credits and tells you what he thought of the episode. It somehow makes the show even more surreal.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Are the deleted FWWM finished, like with ADR and soundtrack and color balancing etc.?

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Are the deleted FWWM finished, like with ADR and soundtrack and color balancing etc.?

Yes.
Lynch put it all together as a separate feature

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

And More posted:

The Mulholland Drive blu-ray I own definitely has a chapter select. I think his stance on sticking to whatever version was officially released is very commendable, though. It's certainly better than turning a decent film into a bloated mess out of some delusional sense of ownership.

By the way, whoever recommended Lars von Trier's Kingdom was spot on. That show is absolutely amazing. My favourite part is probably that von Trier shows up during the credits and tells you what he thought of the episode. It somehow makes the show even more surreal.

I think Von Trier is the only director that reminds me of Lynch; there's a gag in the beginning of Melancholia about a limo driver not being able to back up a driveway that is exactly the sort of humor Lynch would love.

Unfortunately the Kingdom will probably never be completed due to 5-6 actors dying. I love that as is, the bleaching pools in the intro have 0 connection to anything.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I got "Laura Palmer's Diary" a novelty item written by Lynch's daughter for my girlfriend for Christmas. It's interesting but a bit difficult to take as canon, despite Frost and Lynch's introductions. Why?

- Maddy visits Laura and is introduced to Maddy when they are about 12-13. But in the show Maddy feels the need to formally introduce herself to Donna.

-It describes Bobby fatally shooting that drug-dealer from FWWM. Don't the police get their hands on the secret diary eventually and wouldn't that information lead to a murder investigation??

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

crowoutofcontext posted:

- Maddy visits Laura and is introduced to Maddy

Fuckin' Lynch.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

And More posted:

I think his stance on sticking to whatever version was officially released is very commendable, though.

Note that this stance does however include blurry vaginas.

(Lynch added blurring in some scenes with Laura Harring that only appears in the home video versions because he was worried about people posting screenshots online)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Note that this stance does however include blurry vaginas.

(Lynch added blurring in some scenes with Laura Harring that only appears in the home video versions because he was worried about people posting screenshots online)

I can respect that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just got the blu-ray and man, I can't believe how great The Missing Pieces is. I especially enjoyed Pete and Josie's scene, and the full Black Lodge sequence from the David Bowie sequence.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

crowoutofcontext posted:

I got "Laura Palmer's Diary" a novelty item written by Lynch's daughter for my girlfriend for Christmas. It's interesting but a bit difficult to take as canon, despite Frost and Lynch's introductions. Why?

- Maddy visits Laura and is introduced to Maddy when they are about 12-13. But in the show Maddy feels the need to formally introduce herself to Donna.

-It describes Bobby fatally shooting that drug-dealer from FWWM. Don't the police get their hands on the secret diary eventually and wouldn't that information lead to a murder investigation??

Why did she write it for your girlfriend? Why!?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have no idea if it'd be files, but you should consider scanning it in if your girlfriend is okay with that. e: actually it seems to be abundantly available on Amazon so never mind that

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Reread that sentence, guys. I made the same mistake:

quote:

I got "Laura Palmer's Diary", a novelty item written by Lynch's daughter, for my girlfriend for Christmas.

e:
vvvv
The first one probably, I'm not sure about the second! :downs:

Jan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 7, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jan posted:

Reread that sentence, guys. I made the same mistake:

They were joking, though.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Lycus posted:

They were joking, though.

I was joking, but don't make him feel bad. We're all tired some days.

I can't WAIT for Twin Peaks to come back and I can't even imagine how they're going to do it but I have nothing but faith that it will be amazing. David Lynch is great.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm rewatching the show on the blu-ray set and I remembered Audrey's personality changing pretty hard in the second half, but wow, it's so much more abrupt than I'd remembered. Even terrible stuff like James' soap opera plot sort of fits his character, since his thing seems to be naively trying to "save" people, but Audrey's change just doesn't fit her character at all. It's funny how much weirder she was in the pilot too, that got toned down but in a way that worked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Surlaw posted:

I'm rewatching the show on the blu-ray set and I remembered Audrey's personality changing pretty hard in the second half, but wow, it's so much more abrupt than I'd remembered. Even terrible stuff like James' soap opera plot sort of fits his character, since his thing seems to be naively trying to "save" people, but Audrey's change just doesn't fit her character at all. It's funny how much weirder she was in the pilot too, that got toned down but in a way that worked.
Didn't Kyle just veto the idea of a romance plot line between Coop and Audrey?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah, and I'm ok with that, but what they do with her instead is just so disappointing. Her friendship with Bobby doesn't fit in any way (aside from the fact that she was drawn to yet another man with slicked back hair and a suit) and the Billy Zane stuff is just horrendous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was only on episode 13 of season 2, and Netflix removed the show :(

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's gone from netflix??? Time for me to buy a box set, I guess.

On the other hand you should view this as a blessing. If you were already at s2e13, there was very little joy left in your twin peaks-watching future.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

It's gone from netflix??? Time for me to buy a box set, I guess.

On the other hand you should view this as a blessing. If you were already at s2e13, there was very little joy left in your twin peaks-watching future.

I want to watch that finale, dammit, without skipping ahead to it. :argh:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I want to watch that finale, dammit, without skipping ahead to it. :argh:

You're canadian, right? I can't find anything online about twin peaks being pulled from netflix! Could it be a canada-only deal?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

You're canadian, right? I can't find anything online about twin peaks being pulled from netflix! Could it be a canada-only deal?

Yeah, Canadian. I'd use a proxy, but I primarily watch through my 360, and I'm not paying for one.

I'm not too concerned, they remove and add stuff all the time. It'll be back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Surlaw posted:

I always saw that as her becoming harder due to her experiences in Canada, but the show was missing something as Dale and Audrey do not even speak for the rest of the series.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Yeah, Canadian. I'd use a proxy, but I primarily watch through my 360, and I'm not paying for one.

I'm not too concerned, they remove and add stuff all the time. It'll be back.

At worst we'll have to wait a year or so for the new season to put the show back on the map.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I read the oral history book on Twin Peaks, and iirc Sherilyn Fenn asked specifically if she could be toned down a bit. It seems like everyone asked for a change to their character in the second season (Donna being more of a bad girl, Cooper dropping Audrey, etc) of course the best change was Major Briggs.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

The Twin Peaks "Entire Mystery" Blu-ray is on sale for $79.99 at Best Buy now, for what its worth:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/twin-peaks-the-entire-mystery-10-discs-blu-ray-disc/1328007.p?id=3241365

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Clouseau posted:

I read the oral history book on Twin Peaks, and iirc Sherilyn Fenn asked specifically if she could be toned down a bit. It seems like everyone asked for a change to their character in the second season (Donna being more of a bad girl, Cooper dropping Audrey, etc) of course the best change was Major Briggs.

I wish the Major had gotten his own show.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

MacheteZombie posted:

Him and Cooper are my guiding light in the dark period of season two's back half. The trippy intro with him sitting on the throne is one of my favorite weird non-Lynch things they did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Would Beyond the Sea be the theme song to it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Would Beyond the Sea be the theme song to it?

It'd have to be right?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The best Major spin-off would be just him sitting with a random TP character in a diner booth, having a long conversation. You can break it up in the middle with a short sketch where Andy gets hit in the head while investigating something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

The best Major spin-off would be just him sitting with a random TP character in a diner booth, having a long conversation. You can break it up in the middle with a short sketch where Andy gets hit in the head while investigating something.

Major and the Log Lady would be the two protagonists.

The Major is seriously one of the main reasons I'm stoked TP is coming back. Such a unique character, even in the uniquely diverse town of Twin Peaks, where women can be turned into drawer knobs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

The Major is seriously one of the main reasons I'm stoked TP is coming back. Such a unique character, even in the uniquely diverse town of Twin Peaks, where women can be turned into drawer knobs.

I have some bad news for you. He is dead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

hes freaking dead dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Don may be dead, but the Major doesn't have to be.

(did I make a good save?)

Judge Clayjar posted:

hes freaking dead dumbass
A bit hostile.

• Locked thread