Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karandras posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! If I split two Open Fire! boxes with someone who wants Germans then I'll have 12 Shermans and the Firefly models as well, then maybe grab some half tracks and Stuarts and that's a 2nd Armoured Free French list?

Something like:

Compagnie De Chars De Combat HQ (235pts)
+105 Sherman

Chars De Combat Platoon (390pts)
Four Shermans, one upgraded to 76mm

Chars De Combat Platoon (390pts)
Four Shermans, one upgraded to 76mm

Infanterie Blindée Platoon (275pts)
Two rifle squads, .50 upgrade on two halftracks

Light tank platoon (210pts)
4 Stuarts

Does that work? Seems like as a late war list it'll really struggle against anything too heavy if the main AT is just two 76mm Shermans. I guess swap out the Stuart's for a pair of M10 TDs? Still seems like a few tigers would be terrifying.

Tiger Is aren't as scary to 76mm Sherms, and you're not going to encounter them in numbers that are worrying at a reasonable points level. Tiger IIs are a harder nut to crack, but there will be even less of them. I think the most Tiger IIs you'll see at 1500 points is four or five (they're about 300 points a piece for the Reluctant Vet variety), probably less if your opponent is smart. If you think you'll be seeing more armor, yes, replace the Stuarts with some M10s. If you think you need to roll up some infantry or artillery, Stuarts can be a great spoiler asset. You just need to play to their strength of being fast, mobile mg platforms, and use that 37mm to dig guns and troops out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

DBA 2.2+ Marian Roman Army

The Marian Republican Army represents the forces commanded by Caesar during the Gallic Campaign (about 50-40bc), as I had just finished De Bello Gallica (Caesar's diaries from this time), this was a complete no-brainer choice. The major differences between the Marian Roman armies and those preceding was that soldiers were no longer required to be landed, but would be granted land upon retirement - this meant a standing army could be maintained, and whose retirement and welfare was directly tied to the success of their commander in the field.

DBA includes 12 elements from a number of common types. The Marian army is eight elements of Legionnaries (Blades), three elements of Cavalry (Cav) and two elements of Velites (Psiloi) and is one of the stronger armies on paper. We have a choice of whether to mount our general in the cavalry or in the legionnaries on foot, so I have included a general token (on a penny) which will be used to indicate who he is accompanying.

All of the miniatures are Baccus 6mm Roman Republicans: https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/products/ancient/reproman_range.php. The best thing about 6mm is that it's easy as crap to paint, and this whole army cost around 13 pounds. I have also ordered Hasastii with Pilums for another 5 pounds, in order to field both Camillan and Polybian armies too. Those two armies are earlier iterations in the evolution of roman warfare from hoplites to legionnaries, and so have fewer blades and more spears the further you go back.

Next up, filthy barbarians in the form of enough units to field Early Germans, Scots-Irish, British and Gallic armies in opposition.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
That's a gorgeous looking force. Makes me want to branch out into other scales and periods.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Throbbing blob posted:

That's a gorgeous looking force. Makes me want to branch out into other scales and periods.

For 30gbp you can get two full armies in 6mm and the rules are free here http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuidePlus/v2.2PlusUnofficialGuide_double.pdf - there's no chance of anyone else collecting this (I can't even find a single group or gaming club that plays it, and this is in London/UK) but at that price and availability it made sense for me to pick up both sides. After playing Warmachine a few times, the ruleset is quite refreshing.

I haven't looked into it yet, but you can also use multiple DBA elements to form single units of Hail Caesar, Impetvs - or you can use two armies per side, or even use four-bases-as-single-element for that big-battle feel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Society of Ancients who wrote it are based in the UK. It shouldn't be impossible to find people who play it, it's just so old that they tend to advertise some of the developments of it like DBMM or whatever instead.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

For 30gbp you can get two full armies in 6mm and the rules are free here http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuidePlus/v2.2PlusUnofficialGuide_double.pdf - there's no chance of anyone else collecting this (I can't even find a single group or gaming club that plays it, and this is in London/UK) but at that price and availability it made sense for me to pick up both sides. After playing Warmachine a few times, the ruleset is quite refreshing.

I haven't looked into it yet, but you can also use multiple DBA elements to form single units of Hail Caesar, Impetvs - or you can use two armies per side, or even use four-bases-as-single-element for that big-battle feel.

Well, I already have a huge 18mm Napoleonics project going, and my FoW armies plus I've been talked into trying Battlegroup now, so I don't think I even want another project.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just a quick AAR from my first battle with actual miniatures in DBA 2.2+:

Marian Romans (3 Cav, 8 Blade, Psiloi) vs Early Armenians (4 Light Horse, 2 Knight, 4 Aux, 2 Psiloi)
AAR: The battle started with the Marians deploying first, cavalry central and four blades on the road. The Armenians deployed with horse on the flanks, Knights on the road, Psiloi defending camp and Auxilia centrally. As the battle developed, the Armenians consistantly lost initiative, one flank refused by blades, bad-going and a skulking psiloi. On the other flank, knights raced up the road into combat with Legionnaries to a tough stalemate. At the last moment, the core of the roman front (cavalry accompanied by general) collapsed, allowing the knights to encircle the commander in chief and achieve a swift victory.

Result: Armenians win 3(G) v 2.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I've recently picked up Flames of War, and am learning the game with a friend of mine. I'm piecing together a German Gepanzerte Panzergrenadier list, and was wondering if you could clear up a Kampfgruppe question I had. Can I form a Kampfgruppe from the platoon HQs of each of my infantry platoons, and then use mission tactics to promote an infantry team to the new platoon HQ? This would let me form a squad of Panzerfaust teams in half tracks. The wording of the Kampfgruppe rule seems to allow it (explicitly including platoon hqs in the platoon), but I'm not sure if it's actually legal or desirable. Any help would be much appreciated.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Per the official errata, No.

see: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109

It's a bad idea anyway, as small infantry platoons are almost useless in FoW.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Are there any places that sell 28mm banners in the US? The only places I can find are based in Britain and charge a decent amount of money for tiny flags for my little mans

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been thinking about starting to do historical miniatures, as much for having stuff to assemble and paint as to play.

Flames of War looks pretty neat and well supported. I mean, it looks like I could spend all my money forever if I wanted, but also that individual stuff isn't so expensive that "I wanna paint this tank that I probably won't use" is a super dumb idea. I've watched the tutorial videos on their site, and the game looks fun and detailed, and also like something I could convince a friend or two to try out with me.

What's confusing me is how to actually get started. Is it gonna be fine if I just buy the "Open Fire!" starter? That's got the rulebook in it, but does it have any stuff about expanding your armies beyond what's included? With the stuff in there, it looks like I could play a reasonable game with a friend. Is that true? There's just so much stuff available it's kinda overwhelmed me and the "newbie guides" on the official forums aren't as helpful as I'd like them to be (ie, they don't say Buy X or Y or A+B and you're good to go").

Numlock
May 19, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

What's confusing me is how to actually get started. Is it gonna be fine if I just buy the "Open Fire!" starter?

Yup, its got everything you need. Also a good start on a German Infantry or British tank force.

quote:

That's got the rulebook in it, but does it have any stuff about expanding your armies beyond what's included?

Yup, it includes a mini-force list that will give you some ideas on where to go for expanding the forces included.

quote:

With the stuff in there, it looks like I could play a reasonable game with a friend. Is that true?

I don't remember exactly, but both forces are about 900 points or so which is plenty for a good game. They are fairly balanced as well.

quote:

There's just so much stuff available it's kinda overwhelmed me and the "newbie guides" on the official forums aren't as helpful as I'd like them to be (ie, they don't say Buy X or Y or A+B and you're good to go").

That's why there really aren't any good guides, there is too much stuff to cover. FoW is a very balanced, so beyond a few exceptions there aren't any "YOU MUST BUY X NEVER BUY Y" situations. List composition is like #5 on the list of why you won/lost after luck.

I suggest playing around with the open fire stuff for a few games before making any purchases.

If you don't have any specific preferences (IE: "I want to run a soviet tank battalion from the battle of Kursk" or "I want to run Italian armored cars in North Africa") and want to stick with using the stuff out the open fire set, then I'll suggest the following:

For zee Germans:

HMGs
Nebelwerfers
Mortars
another StuG
2x 8-rads

That should bring you to about 1500 points and is a good list to learn infantry on. If you are worried about how competitive it is, it's rather generic but guys are winning tournaments with similar lists all the time. You can always pick up some of the big cats (Panthers, Tigers, etc...) later.

The British:

4x M10C
4x 25pdr guns or 4x Priests (a self propelled artillery unit).

I'm less familiar with the British since I don't play them and they are easily the least played Allied faction in my neck of the woods, so somebody else might be able to help you more....

Edit:

I forgot to mention that the forces in Open Fire are based on lists from the "Market Garden" and "Bridge by Bridge" force books. If you want to go farther than what is in the starter set, picking up those books would be a good idea. Also the period you are playing in is "Late War".

Numlock fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 3, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Counter-point to balancing: US Tank Companies.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Counter-point to balancing: US Tank Companies.

Remagen was the last straw for my group, there is not one person left that will willingly play against a Late-war US force. Probably if we ever do another League/tournament for latewar it it will be East Front exclusively.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Numlock posted:

Remagen was the last straw for my group, there is not one person left that will willingly play against a Late-war US force. Probably if we ever do another League/tournament for latewar it it will be East Front exclusively.

That seems a bit extreme. I mean yeah US tank companies have some ridiculous stuff, but it's not as if every single US list is fundamentally stronger than everyone else, and even the tank companies have their weaknesses, especially when taken from early-late war books like Overlord. Is everyone who plays US in your group just being dicks and taking nothing but Tank Destroyers?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks Numlock, that's awesome information. British vs Germans (or Russia vs Germans) late-war was where I was intending to play at first. What year ranges does FoW use for early/mid/late?

I'd like to do North Africa / Mediterranean stuff too, but if the starter is late war Europe, I'll start by expanding those and then branch out if I still play in a year or two.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you want to get started super cheap and don't care to fight any particular battle, you can skip buying The Books and just roll with stuff you can find in the official site's briefing section. Some of the stuff in there is pretty weird special snowflake stuff, but the US infantry divisions under "Citizen Soldiers" and the German panzer divisions under "Panzers to the Meuse" seem alright.

Similarly, if you want cheap miniatures, Plastic Soldier Company's got you covered. You can buy a company of tiny mans for half the price Battlefront's asking, and end up with more men to boot.

Edit:

AlphaDog posted:

What year ranges does FoW use for early/mid/late?
Early is '39-41, Mid is '42-'43 and Late is '44 onwards.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That seems a bit extreme. I mean yeah US tank companies have some ridiculous stuff, but it's not as if every single US list is fundamentally stronger than everyone else, and even the tank companies have their weaknesses, especially when taken from early-late war books like Overlord. Is everyone who plays US in your group just being dicks and taking nothing but Tank Destroyers?

Nah its the Infantry that has the really abusive lists. Its not that US lists are unbeatable, we are just fed up and tired of playing and playing against super-optimized US lists.

Its not that big of a deal because everybody pretty much reached the same conclusion simultaneously (even the guys who mainly played US). We all also all play multiple factions so its not like we are excluding anybody ether. We just decided to start playing the periods/theaters that are more or less balanced and more enjoyable like North Africa and East Front.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Numlock posted:

Nah its the Infantry that has the really abusive lists.

What's so bad about them? I've played all of one game of FOW, and I'm working on a US Infantry army. Also, is there a guide as to what you should have in your army? For example, should I bother with a weapons platoon?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Beardless posted:

What's so bad about them? I've played all of one game of FOW, and I'm working on a US Infantry army. Also, is there a guide as to what you should have in your army? For example, should I bother with a weapons platoon?

Very cost efficient, flexible platoons with army lists that (typically) have at least 2 if not more (Other nations force lists tend to be far more limited) support choices for Armor, TD, and artillery.

Slather on a thick coating of the best special rules in the game and if you can't force every game to end at least in a 4-3/3-4 on timeout then you need to "get good."

At least US armor companies win or lose in 1-2 turns so you can pack up and go home early.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

Very cost efficient, flexible platoons with army lists that (typically) have at least 2 if not more (Other nations force lists tend to be far more limited) support choices for Armor, TD, and artillery.

Slather on a thick coating of the best special rules in the game and if you can't force every game to end at least in a 4-3/3-4 on timeout then you need to "get good."

At least US armor companies win or lose in 1-2 turns so you can pack up and go home early.

I guess that's the fun in American infantry, there aren't a lot of toys you can't take with them; so you can combo up some interesting tools. Also, the source of IINO lists (Infantry In Name Only); where you take minimum troops, and stock up on everything else you want.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I should add that this is a beef from the guys playing at a high level in tournaments.

For guys just starting out or play a game only occasionally (perhaps because they also play other games regularly, or only can make it to the FLGS 1-2 times a month) they probably won't notice or even conclude that US lists suck because they lack the experience necessary to really make the lists work. So yeah don't worry about somebody running out and buying the last US list to win some big tournament and then owning everybody else, they won't do any better with it than a list they created themselves.

Incidentally these guys are the easiest 6-1's i've ever gotten.

But if you are like me and playing in a group that is highly focused on competitive play and most of the regulars get in 1-3 games a week, then its an awful experience.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So with the new Fate of a Nation book out I'm mighty tempted by a UAR tank battalion. Anyone got a source on cheap 15mm T-54s?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Forums Terrorist posted:

So with the new Fate of a Nation book out I'm mighty tempted by a UAR tank battalion. Anyone got a source on cheap 15mm T-54s?

I know this sounds like a good idea now, but don't do this. Please, it's just all bad.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is this where to ask about Flames of war?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

yes

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So stupid question: I don't wanna play germans cause terrible nerds. What is a good allied force I can bring to a big battle? Italians?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Another pre-newbie FoW question: Do the intelligence briefings update with editions? Like, if I wanted to do a North Africa army, do I need to to figure out which NA book is the "3rd ed" one?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

My group has been tossing around the idea of doing FoaN in 6mm, and just not adjusting anything in the rules other than shifting infantry and guns down a base size.

You can fit a UAR army inside of 50 bucks, which is about what anybody right now is willing to throw away at FoaN.

Herr Tog posted:

So stupid question: I don't wanna play germans cause terrible nerds. What is a good allied force I can bring to a big battle? Italians?

Just play Germans you baby.

AlphaDog posted:

Another pre-newbie FoW question: Do the intelligence briefings update with editions? Like, if I wanted to do a North Africa army, do I need to to figure out which NA book is the "3rd ed" one?

Not really. The sometimes update them like the D-Day books which have been updated 3-4 times now for balance issues (but this is an outlier) or compile a bunch of paper-backs into 1 hardback release (See Grey Wolf/Red Bear) with some adjustments and new stuff. So right now Early war is a mix of V2 and V3 books, Mid-war is all V2 and Latewar has been completely redone for V3.

If you have a question as to which book you should get for a certain theater and period just ask around, you can also check the Official site's online store as they will only have the current books listed.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Numlock posted:

My group has been tossing around the idea of doing FoaN in 6mm, and just not adjusting anything in the rules other than shifting infantry and guns down a base size.

You can fit a UAR army inside of 50 bucks, which is about what anybody right now is willing to throw away at FoaN.

Just play Germans you baby.

Not really. The sometimes update them like the D-Day books which have been updated 3-4 times now for balance issues (but this is an outlier) or compile a bunch of paper-backs into 1 hardback release (See Grey Wolf/Red Bear) with some adjustments and new stuff. So right now Early war is a mix of V2 and V3 books, Mid-war is all V2 and Latewar has been completely redone for V3.

If you have a question as to which book you should get for a certain theater and period just ask around, you can also check the Official site's online store as they will only have the current books listed.

What has changed in terms of lists from V2 to V3? Would it make a difference to just use a V2 midwear list?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Herr Tog posted:

What period are you playing?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

No idea Hitler, no idea.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Beardless posted:

What has changed in terms of lists from V2 to V3? Would it make a difference to just use a V2 midwear list?

Some older books might reference special rules that have since changed, don't exist anymore, or a list/unit may now have different special rules than it did before. Also around the same time V3 came out they decided to re-point some stuff so the older Late-War books had to be reprinted with the new point costs.

Outside of tournaments it doesn't really matter.

Its not really appropriate to label some books "V2" and others "V3" as the rules are separate from the lists (TO&Es basically) and you can build a force out of Bridge by Bridge (a book published after V3) and use the V1 rule-set, or hell Blitzkrieg Commander to play the game. Other than the previously mentioned special rules, they don't really depend on the rulebook for anything.

The main reason to use the most recent books is that they will have more lists and units. In some cases stuff that was grossly underpointed or overpointed will be corrected.

The Midwar Books (North Africa and Eastern Front) haven't been updated since V2 came out and there is no problem with them. Similarly Early war is a mix of books published before and after V3 and there isn't any issues with that.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

late I guess?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Herr Tog posted:

late I guess?

If you really want to be Axis but not Germany the most competitive option is probably Hungarians, who are basically German lite, with the gear and everything but different rules.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The answer is always Finns regardless of period. If you play late war, it's even fully appropriate to shoot both Soviets and Germans.

Italians have more adorable tanks, though.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

If you really want to be Axis but not Germany the most competitive option is probably Hungarians, who are basically German lite, with the gear and everything but different rules.

Cool! what system?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Cool! what system?

I don't know if this is some weird trolling attempt or if you are just dumb but you should really start off with naming what system you are playing and any additional information that might help others help you.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

I don't know if this is some weird trolling attempt or if you are just dumb but you should really start off with naming what system you are playing and any additional information that might help others help you.

I literally just like history and maybe wanna get some tanks and some guys to run behind them. You have given me a country. I'd prefer 11m or greater? I really don't know after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Herr Tog posted:

Hm I think Bronie is trollin'