Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I got a random comic book for christmas and I think it's the one you guys are talking about. It says death of the family but I'm pretty sure it has the whole story from joker getting his face back to nobody wanting to come to batman's meeting. (Also, why didn't anyone want to come?) Anyway it was totally rad and the joker was scary as poo poo. Was that the entire thing, cause mine says Volume 3 at the top which is kind of confusing. If I go to a comic book store and ask for more comics, is there a name for when it's like full story in a $20-30 bookthing? Man comic books are confusing, there's like tie-ins where that one book was made of like 5 different other comic series or some poo poo also batman has a kid what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's the third storyline in Scott Snyder's run on Batman. If you want to try it from the start, pick up Vol.1 The Court of Owls
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Court-Owls-New/dp/1401235425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419814757&sr=8-1&keywords=court+of+owls

Here's a page for the whole series. http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4050-42721/
If you click on "Expand full wiki summary" You can find a collection order.

e: The kid Robin comes from Grant Morrison's 2005-2013 run of Batman stories. If you wanna dive real deep, follow this trade order I just found http://readgrantmorrisonsbatman.tumblr.com/post/57372791683/reading-order
The end of this stuff lines up around about the end of Death of the Family and has gigantic repercussions for Robin, so if you have the time, check it out too. It's fuckin' good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 29, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

thehandtruck posted:

I got a random comic book for christmas and I think it's the one you guys are talking about. It says death of the family but I'm pretty sure it has the whole story from joker getting his face back to nobody wanting to come to batman's meeting. (Also, why didn't anyone want to come?) Anyway it was totally rad and the joker was scary as poo poo. Was that the entire thing, cause mine says Volume 3 at the top which is kind of confusing. If I go to a comic book store and ask for more comics, is there a name for when it's like full story in a $20-30 bookthing? Man comic books are confusing, there's like tie-ins where that one book was made of like 5 different other comic series or some poo poo also batman has a kid what the gently caress

Is the entire thing, the "volume 3" is because DOTF is the third TPB of the Batman series. You can skip everything else since the other books bear no impact over the main story. There are some good tie ins but only if you follow the other series.

As for why no one wanted to go at the meeting, they're hurt over the events of the story

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the Grayson and Catwoman annuals.

Grayson was fantastic. I think it's cemented as my favorite current book right now. (e: "Stolen GL skin" raises a few insane questions, though)
Catwoman, on the other hand, I like the drastic change in tone of the book, but I'm having a really hard time following it. The dialogue, narration. I really want to like what they're doing. I'll start this run again and see if I can click with it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 29, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Catwoman, on the other hand, I like the drastic change in tone of the book, but I'm having a really hard time following it. The dialogue, narration. I really want to like what they're doing. I'll start this run again and see if I can click with it.
I have similar feelings. For a Catwoman book the tone is a lot more melancholy and slow, compared to how upbeat and fast-paced Selina is often written as Catwoman. Valentine can write that too from what little we see of Selina as Catwoman in the annual, but she's choosing to go a slower more drawn out route. I think this is a story that will read better in one go when everything is laid out, compared to waiting for it monthly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thehandtruck posted:

Ok, so the type of person who doesn't think Death Of the Family is the most retarded rear end poo poo ever is basically the most casual of casual fan. Got it.

Also it's called a Trade Paperback, and Batman has had a kid for years now. Have someone explain the New 52 to you, sometime if you want to go cross eyed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

Was that the entire thing, cause mine says Volume 3 at the top which is kind of confusing.
It's Volume 3 of Scott Snyder's run as writer of the Batman comic. The issues collected in Volumes 1 and 2 are better, so if you liked Death of the Family, grab those--you can just buy them off amazon if you want, too.

Vol 1: The Court of Owls
Vol 2: The City of Owls

I'd further recommend the later volumes, under the Zero Year heading, as well. It's a longer, flashback storyline to early in Bruce's Batmanning about.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 29, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so the type of person who doesn't think Death Of the Family is the most retarded rear end poo poo ever is basically the most casual of casual fan. Got it.

Also it's called a Trade Paperback, and Batman has had a kid for years now. Have someone explain the New 52 to you, sometime if you want to go cross eyed.

Cool post. Unrelated, but does anyone else notice how nobody wants to get into comics anymore. It's like the industry is slowly dying in an incestuous, insular miasma and the only people reading them are the same people who have been reading their whole life. Maybe it's just me but it feels like theres never any new comics fans being made. Wonder why

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Cool post. Unrelated, but does anyone else notice how nobody wants to get into comics anymore. It's like the industry is slowly dying in an incestuous, insular miasma and the only people reading them are the same people who have been reading their whole life. Maybe it's just me but it feels like theres never any new comics fans being made. Wonder why

The heads of DC have specifically said that their target audience is 40 year old men who remember these characters from their childhoods. Then they let David Goyer make fun of those same people by doing poo poo like saying anyone who's ever heard of (not just likes, but has even HEARD OF) Martian Manhunter is a "virgin loser" at press conferences they hold. That's got to be a huge part of it.

Marvel is trying their damndest to expand their audience, but despite their movies it doesn't seem to be working, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
My chance to disparage the direct market and comic shops as the millstone around the neck of comics sense was tingling.

The unwillingness to fully embrace the digital medium and abandon specialty shops due to nostalgia and personal relationships they have developed with the proprietors of those same shops is strangling comics. A single ad in front of a major movie release with a qr code to a comixology app would sell more digital comics in a weekend then the Big Two sell physical copies in a year combined.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is another "here's why no one buys DC comics" things more than comics in general, but their insane inability to actually do things to make stuff appealing to new readers is a big part of it too, I think. They relaunched their entire line, gave everything new #1s, and said that it was all new continuity...but instead of starting from the beginning they start 5 years in, to the point where not only would new readers with a casual knowledge of things be confused but even us nerds had no clue what was in and what was out. They couldn't even keep poo poo consistent within the books. Meanwhile I gave a friend of mine who had never read a comic in her life the first issue of Hawkeye and she was instantly hooked.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

This is another "here's why no one buys DC comics" things more than comics in general, but their insane inability to actually do things to make stuff appealing to new readers is a big part of it too, I think. They relaunched their entire line, gave everything new #1s, and said that it was all new continuity...but instead of starting from the beginning they start 5 years in, to the point where not only would new readers with a casual knowledge of things be confused but even us nerds had no clue what was in and what was out. They couldn't even keep poo poo consistent within the books. Meanwhile I gave a friend of mine who had never read a comic in her life the first issue of Hawkeye and she was instantly hooked.
This was exactly my problem. I started reading comics a few months ago, and the existence of the New 52 was a pretty big reason why, since the main reason I never read anything before was due to decades of previous continuity and feeling like I'd have no idea what was going on. So I jump in with all the New 52 series, and sure enough, I for the most part had no idea what was going on. I kept thinking I was just missing obvious stuff until I talked to other people I know who read comics and they had to explain to me that unless you knew all this poo poo from before the New 52, you'd be clueless. The whole thing still baffles me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dunbar posted:

This was exactly my problem. I started reading comics a few months ago, and the existence of the New 52 was a pretty big reason why, since the main reason I never read anything before was due to decades of previous continuity and feeling like I'd have no idea what was going on. So I jump in with all the New 52 series, and sure enough, I for the most part had no idea what was going on. I kept thinking I was just missing obvious stuff until I talked to other people I know who read comics and they had to explain to me that unless you knew all this poo poo from before the New 52, you'd be clueless. The whole thing still baffles me.

Hell, I knew a ton of the poo poo from before the New 52 and even I was confused about a ton of poo poo. I STILL don't know if Superman dying ever happened or not. My answer was to just stop giving a poo poo, and also stop reading most DC comics. I just got back into Batman after reading that the current Joker story is better than Death Of The Family. Which it is, but it still suffers from Snyders "words words words" problem.

But yeah, I'd never in a million years give a new reader a current DC book to start with, I can't imagine that experience being pleasant at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

But yeah, I'd never in a million years give a new reader a current DC book to start with, I can't imagine that experience being pleasant at all.

Well, I hope nobody's asking ya!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Dunbar posted:

This is the same with me. I ended up giving up (Batwoman getting ruined was a big part of that) and I'm actually finding it easier to get into Marvel Now stuff even if it's still got decades of continuity behind it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The DC badging is such ignorant stupidity that it just shows a unwillingness to give anything a chance out if spite. despite some miscues there are still some excellent titles coming out of DC and to say that there aren't just shows that the person giving the opinion is talking out of their arse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They just put out a perfect new comic for 11 year old girls for cripes' sake.

If you can't acknowledge this guy for editor of the year, you don't know what's up.
:allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

The DC badging is such ignorant stupidity that it just shows a unwillingness to give anything a chance out if spite. despite some miscues there are still some excellent titles coming out of DC and to say that there aren't just shows that the person giving the opinion is talking out of their arse.

I am more than willing to give DC a shot. Aside from a few exceptions nothing they've put out has been very engaging to me, and I am someone who is extremely predisposed to liking DC comics. The fact that I am enjoying comics about Hawkeye more than I am enjoying comics about characters I love really doesn't feel like spite to me, it feels like DC doing a remarkably poor job of holding my interest outside of stuff like Multiversity.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I went to a nearby comic book store this morning and picked up some more of the Scott Snyder batman stuff. Really liking the art a lot, and the story is fun too. I really enjoy how they build a world with flavor and atmosphere in the colors and details. Also someone at the store said if I like batman I should check out this one where he fights superman using Gotham's powergrid which sounds awesome so I picked that up too.

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe you're right but also, you suck.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

some more of the Scott Snyder batman stuff

Did you get The Black Mirror? That's his year on Detective Comics just before the New 52 reboot and he moved to the Batman series you're reading, so it's unconnected (Dick Grayson is Batman and all that good stuff)
It's incredible and ridiculously creepy.

e: Here's a random creepy spread Google Image Search gave me:

ee: and while you're on the Snyder kick, American Vampire.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 29, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dark Knight Returns? Funny they used that as the selling point. Did they mention that it's the quintissential Batman story?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

The heads of DC have specifically said that their target audience is 40 year old men who remember these characters from their childhoods. Then they let David Goyer make fun of those same people by doing poo poo like saying anyone who's ever heard of (not just likes, but has even HEARD OF) Martian Manhunter is a "virgin loser" at press conferences they hold. That's got to be a huge part of it.

Marvel is trying their damndest to expand their audience, but despite their movies it doesn't seem to be working, though.

i dunno, im a fairly new reader to comics and im definitely more drawn into marvel then a lot of the confusing and overly dark poo poo dc has

edit: altho to be fair there is some cool dc poo poo, which unfortunately i then hear got cancelled/getting cancelled.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Since I got back into comics almost 2 years ago the only DC books I've read have been Batman (in trades until Zero Year started, and then went monthly) and the Movement (not sure why, but I enjoyed it). My list of Marvel and Image stuff is too long to list and nobody cares anyways. I find Marvels books are easier to jump into without any background and understand. I just don't really like DC books in general and outside of Batman (during Knightfall) and Superman (during the Death and Rebirth years) I have never purchased many.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can a DC related thread exist without people pledging their alliances 80% of the time?

Was Taters posted:

Is it getting in the way of you posting your recommended reading list again?

Knowing what's best for everyone is a dreadful curse.
I get a tingling every time someone is in need of hearing about Grant Morrison's Batman. Duty calls.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can a DC related thread exist without people pledging their alliances 80% of the time?

Is it getting in the way of you posting your recommended reading list again? Cmon, it never lasts long. People have legit complaints and the easiest way to explore them is to compare it to something similar.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

DC is lovely as hell with their marketing and their public presence and pretty much everything these days but that doesn't remotely mean you need to piss on the commoners from your grognard tower. I didnt even like Death of the Family but seeing a non-comics reader read a comic and be that enthusiastic about it I cant help but feel good. This guy is sure having more fun reading Batman than I am and I dont know about you but I read comics to have fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Knowing what's best for everyone is a dreadful curse.
I get a tingling every time someone is in need of hearing about Grant Morrison's Batman. Duty calls.

Was Taters posted:

Is it getting in the way of you posting your recommended reading list again? Cmon, it never lasts long. People have legit complaints and the easiest way to explore them is to compare it to something similar.

Well there is a general DC discussion thread, so I am confused how this Batman thread got to become the "DC is the worstest ever" thread. Uness, you think Batman is the worstest ever, then I guess you are in the right thread.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Well there is a general DC discussion thread, so I am confused how this Batman thread got to become the "DC is the worstest ever" thread. Uness, you think Batman is the worstest ever, then I guess you are in the right thread.

Well let's be honest. DC Is '25 books related to Batman, and some other poo poo.'

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Pssst he was making fun of you because you literally just insulted someone's taste after they said they were a new reader, hope this helps.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Pssst he was making fun of you because you literally just insulted someone's taste after they said they were a new reader, hope this helps.

If the answer to why people don't seem to get into comics anymore is "some rear end in a top hat on the internet might make fun of them" then it's a wonder people are even bothering to get out of bed anymore because you can't do a loving thing without some rear end in a top hat on the internet making fun of you. Rereading it my post before came off a bit more hostile than I meant it to though. Also if it wasn't for people insulting other people's tastes this forum would have about 1/3 of the posts that it currently does.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

If the answer to why people don't seem to get into comics anymore is "some rear end in a top hat on the internet might make fun of them" then it's a wonder people are even bothering to get out of bed anymore because you can't do a loving thing without some rear end in a top hat on the internet making fun of you. Rereading it my post before came off a bit more hostile than I meant it to though. Also if it wasn't for people insulting other people's tastes this forum would have about 1/3 of the posts that it currently does.

When you put it that way. Thank god you were here to be a condescending shithead to a stranger. God knows those 2/3 of awful posts in BSS are the most precious resource the forum has. Its also completely inevitable that someone would be an rear end in a top hat to this dude, which is why you were literally the only person in the thread doing it. The internet is an untamed wasteland, better toughen up if you want to talk about Batman around these parts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Travis343 posted:

When you put it that way. Thank god you were here to be a condescending shithead to a stranger. God knows those 2/3 of awful posts in BSS are the most precious resource the forum has. Its also completely inevitable that someone would be an rear end in a top hat to this dude, which is why you were literally the only person in the thread doing it. The internet is an untamed wasteland, better toughen up if you want to talk about Batman around these parts.

Like I said, it came off more hostile than I meant it to. I apologize.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

DC is lovely as hell with their marketing and their public presence and pretty much everything these days but that doesn't remotely mean you need to piss on the commoners from your grognard tower. I didnt even like Death of the Family but seeing a non-comics reader read a comic and be that enthusiastic about it I cant help but feel good. This guy is sure having more fun reading Batman than I am and I dont know about you but I read comics to have fun.
I read some comics for that, but not all. I picked up Uber and read through it and I wouldn't ever call it "fun" but I sure did enjoy reading it.

But yeah, let's not insult someone for enjoying something on their first venture into the medium. Death of the Family is a strange choice for a gift, but if he liked it, awesome! Now he can venture into other Batman books and maybe he'll learn why some people don't like it. Or, more realistically, he'll always love it because it was his gateway into comics, even if it's not as good as a lot of stuff. God knows I love my early 90s X-Men, even though it's pretty objectively bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I meant the post as more just ribbing the guy, but my genuine distaste for that arc hosed that up, and then bled into what was meant to be sincerely answering a couple questions he had and no one else had addressed. Again, I didn't mean it to be that hostile.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Previously in the Batman thread:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is probably just a rumor, seeing as how I can't find anything about it online, but a few of the employees at my local comic shop were telling me yesterday that 'Arkham Manor' has been changed to a one-shot miniseries. Apparently DC started pulling their last-minute changes poo poo with Duggan and he got fed up enough to quit the project. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

By the way, Gerry Duggan quitting 'Arkham Manor' after only six issues apparently came from Scott Snyder himself. He frequently visits my local comic shop and he told them about it the last time he was there. Story is that he was pissed off at how DC functions compared to Marvel, considering he's been doing Deadpool for three years now without a complaint.

I don't buy there not just being a plan to end this with Eternal and everything else, and especially the part with Snyder dishing to comic book guy, but congrats!

Haha, thanks. In addition to all that, Snyder was there again recently and told them that he and the other writers have been directed to finish up the majority of their storylines by April because that's when DC is moving to Los Angeles.

EDIT: Not sure why the first quote isn't working...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha, thanks. In addition to all that, Snyder was there again recently and told them that he and the other writers have been directed to finish up the majority of their storylines by April because that's when DC is moving to Los Angeles.

EDIT: Not sure why the first quote isn't working...

That's not a secret. All of the books are going away for two months during the Convergence event/move. That's handy not happening in the middle of stories, since I usually forget how most comics leave off after four weeks.
Also about half of them are getting cancelled.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 30, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's not a secret. All of the books are going away for two months during the Convergence event/move. That's handy not happening in the middle of stories, since I usually forget how most comics leave off after four weeks.

I didn't think it was a secret, just something I hadn't heard about other than from those folks. But then again, I haven't been paying attention to DC outside of Harley Quinn and Batman '66 because I really haven't liked anything else they've been doing recently. Can anyone make me happy by letting me know if either of those are being cancelled?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is also extremely likely that most of the surviving ones will be retooled.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I didn't think it was a secret, just something I hadn't heard about other than from those folks. But then again, I haven't been paying attention to DC outside of Harley Quinn and Batman '66 because I really haven't liked anything else they've been doing recently. Can anyone make me happy by letting me know if either of those are being cancelled?

Batman 66 will probably end at some point. Harley Quinn is one of their most popular characters and sells ridiculously well. So no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can anyone give me recommendations for Bat-books to look into? I've pretty much never been a monthly reader, but I've gone through a lot of the big TPBs (Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Dark Knight Returns, Hush), and probably the most recent thing I read was the Morrison RIP and Return runs. I just read the Court of Owls run, which was pretty good (although I also didn't understand exactly why no one wanted to come to Batman's meeting. Surprise surprise, Batman isn't always forthcoming with information, guys. Is that news to you?)

• Locked thread