Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress the MJ, I wonder if the five ton will destroy their track surface.

I snap my left foot from the brake pedal and let the rear end rotate as much as it's willing to do, this Mad Max prop of a truck coming around with enough lean to sexually arouse a double decker bus. The turbo, finally free of the boredom of corners, emits a horrorshriek as the back straight reveals itself to me. A BMW M3 in front of me reflexively dives for the Armco, escaping my field of vision in a burst of shredded metal and dollar-store cologne. The war machine is pleased, burbles softly on the next upshift, luring me into a false sense of security. I can feel the icy grip of hubris on every pedal adjustment.

The track officials are gathering a squadron of fire engines, tow vehicles and ambulances at the finish line, in some cargo cult approximation of the end of every airplane-crisis movie I've ever seen. My vision narrows as the truck hits its top speed of about 52 miles per hour.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's dead AND unregistered/uninsured so it's not going anywhere.

Seriously though, who's down for some track fun this spring/summer?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kastein posted:

That is like 25 miles from my house. Who wants to watch me get out of an upside down MJ wrapped around a tree?

e: Here's a rendered map, they are going counterclockwise.

Don't you work on the North Shore somewhere? And you're only 25 miles from Ware? That's a nutso commute if so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I work in Woburn and live in Southbridge. It's really not that bad, i90 to i95, or 495N to 93S if some idiot hosed up i90 between 495 and 95.

People tell me I'm insane... but it only takes about an hour, and I know people who drive about that long to go 20 miles because it's all bullshit city traffic. I'll take the open highway, thanks.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

kastein posted:

Yeah, I work in Woburn and live in Southbridge. It's really not that bad, i90 to i95, or 495N to 93S if some idiot hosed up i90 between 495 and 95.

*shudder*

I should talk though, I moved to Watertown (and paid the "Close to the city price") because I was sick of a 90 minute commute (one way) from Salem on the T.

But then again, I was relying on the T, so that was probably my problem right there.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Heavy truck fanfic ITT.

I would be into a forester track day though.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

kastein posted:

It's dead AND unregistered/uninsured so it's not going anywhere.

Seriously though, who's down for some track fun this spring/summer?

I've never done a track day bro and hopefully by the summer I'll have a more fun car. Maybe they'll have some grand opening specials on price too.

Who wants to drive a supercar for a little bit?: https://www.groupon.com/deals/tsmp-exotics-ultimate-test-drive-fairfield-county

One of my buddies and I are splitting the 60 minute thing. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

always be closing posted:

Heavy truck fanfic ITT.

Maybe we could get something to rival the NASCAR fanfic in SAS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SFH1989 posted:

Maybe we could get something to rival the NASCAR fanfic in SAS.

Smoke turned left.

Then he turned left again.

After the race I asked him what his secret was. His secret was turning left. Then we hosed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Can't wait to go to the Palmer track. It's a few towns from my house.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
I can't wait to see what their membership prices look like, I'd love to finally get my E30 out there. Or maybe just steal an International day cab from work and challenge Kastein to a deathmatch. DROP THE TOMBSTONE TRAILER REMOTELY

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can't wait to go to the Palmer track. It's a few towns from my house.

Sorry bro, they don't allow understeer :iceburn:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey pal, screw y--*car falls apart*

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Smoke turned left.

Then he turned left again.

After the race I asked him what his secret was. His secret was turning left. Then we hosed.

That's actually a pretty good cliff notes version of them.

NASCAR this year was actually decent despite the incredibly dumb championship format, easily better than F1. I even went to the fall Martinsville race and had a great time. I just wish New Hampshire Motor Speedway didn't suck since it's the closest track to me.

I hope Palmer does well and can attract some interesting races and not take anything away from Lime Rock.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So, you guys survive the winter killstorm 2k15 alright?

Give me a snow depth count.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm the last bay on the right.

They came and snowblowed my driveway at 3am, but I still had snow up past my doors and had to ram the remaining snow bank to get out.

I didn't shovel poo poo. Just got in my car and drove out.

Subaru awd + brand new good snows > all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had to shovel a 300 foot path to where I parked the Subaru.

Allegedly round two is on Monday but should "only" be 5-8".

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
32" here. I did a couple rounds of snow blowing yesterday to take care of most of it.
Brushed off my truck this morning, put it in 4X4, and reversed through the wall of snow the plow re-built overnight. I'll have to actually remove it if I want to get my car out anytime soon.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Just 6" here, maybe, it was windy and the snow blew around so it was hard to tell. I got the day off work and only had 30 min of shoveling.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Haha, it looks like you were driving the red one through the blizzard.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Slow is Fast posted:

I didn't shovel poo poo. Just got in my car and drove out.

Subaru awd + brand new good snows > all.

The woman and I watched the idiot neighbors shovel the entire shared driveway while we watched movies and made ice cream from snow. I swear, we were probably going to help or whatever. In the morning I backed out through the 2' + behind my jeep like it wasn't there. On dryrotted bald-terrains. I did get stuck though... When I got to work and all the tractors were parked behind similar 2' walls of plow snow. I rocked that bitch back and forth with the diff lock on for half an hour before it finally powered out, traction control puffing like a crackhead. Fun thing about Internationals, they make a squealing tone to let you know the diff lock is on, the entire time it's on. It's like built in tinnitus.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 28, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The Start

The End

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I did not know they made a road track in Palmer, but that looks pretty rad!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

Haha, it looks like you were driving the red one through the blizzard.

Who says I wasn't :colbert:? Driving bans can't stop me, gently caress the police.

Anyone else doing the snow auto-x at Lime Rock? I'm doing it on Feb 21. It's expensive but it comes with free hot chocolate.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SFH1989 posted:

Anyone else doing the snow auto-x at Lime Rock? I'm doing it on Feb 21. It's expensive but it comes with free hot chocolate.

Meh I'm looking at $150+ between lodging/gas/reg fee just for next weekend's RallyX which is roughly 10 minutes of actual racing time. $300 for 4 hours of track time in the snow with instructors isn't bad especially when it starts late enough you can get up at home and drive there. Plus not sitting out in the cold working course for 2 hours is nice.

Thanks for the heads up though I didn't even know that existed and it's pretty darn neat.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 29, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Three hours in. Took 5 total to clear the driveway.

I need a snowblower.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Shampoo posted:

Three hours in. Took 5 total to clear the driveway.

I need a snowblower.

Throw it right on your neighbors driveway!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Eventually I did, when it became clear that:

A: He wasn't coming out to help

B: When he did come out, he shoveled 3 feet in front of his spot on the garage, 2 feet out by the street and a meandering cowpath from the front door that I had to redo.

Edit: 3 to 5 inches tonight, 2 to 6 inches Sunday night, nobody in town has a snowblower in stock for less than $1000.

Sigh.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shampoo posted:

Eventually I did, when it became clear that:

A: He wasn't coming out to help

B: When he did come out, he shoveled 3 feet in front of his spot on the garage, 2 feet out by the street and a meandering cowpath from the front door that I had to redo.

Edit: 3 to 5 inches tonight, 2 to 6 inches Sunday night, nobody in town has a snowblower in stock for less than $1000.

Sigh.

Whereabouts are you? If you want to make the drive to NY, we're pretty well stocked up.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

Whereabouts are you? If you want to make the drive to NY, we're pretty well stocked up.

Watertown MA, spitting distance from Boston. But, the In-Laws live in Amsterdam NY, so we could make an excuse to head out that way.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nasty looking drifts.

Looks relatively light though, is it cold and dry snow, or barely below freezing wet and heavy snow?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shampoo posted:

Watertown MA, spitting distance from Boston. But, the In-Laws live in Amsterdam NY, so we could make an excuse to head out that way.

Hah, that's a few minutes from me.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Nasty looking drifts.

Looks relatively light though, is it cold and dry snow, or barely below freezing wet and heavy snow?

That was all cold and fluffy snow, not that bad to shovel (other than the fuckton of it I had to move) today though, it's heavy wet snow piling up on top of it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There is a 5cyl (om617?) Merc turbodiesel prepulled and sitting by the register at sams in worcester if anyone wants it. I don't know what its story is, it could be a core, a return, or someone was just cheap and complained about the price and got told to gently caress off, if such an engine interests you I recommend calling them up during biz hours and asking about it.

I am guessing the price would be between 300 and 500 but could be wrong. Looked fairly complete.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Shout out to the plow people at my apartment for making me have to walk to work:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Nice. I was out shoveling from 7 to 9:30 last night in the wind. We have a two car wide driveway and the neighbors parked their (HHR) in the garage and so far have left it. They have not done a single useful bit of shoveling since we started getting snow. At first I was all good neighbor and like "well, I won't shovel into their side in case they need to dig out." Now I'm like "I've got nowhere else to put the snow. Dig a triangle and use my lane if you have to"

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I got to hang out with Goon family Frankenstein when my codriver and I stayed over in vermont to be closer to our race event this weekend.

We had some awesome food and got to see cool things.

My codriver was floored by the hospitality, but I found it to just be a continuation of the general awesomeness that is the people that make up NEAI.

He also got me this junk:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Nice Bridgeport, and that Atlas is cute. I'm in the process of acquiring a South Bend 9", and a round column mil.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

It was great having you visit Slow is Fast; you folks are welcome anytime.

The mill is an Index (now Wells-Index) Model 40, made in the mid-1940s I believe. The lathe is a Logan Machine Co. (now Logan Actuator), made in 1954 per its serial number. Believe it or not, I was able to purchase the original manual for the lathe from Logan Actuator and download it as a PDF. They were my grandfather's, who was a tool-and-die maker, and were left to me some years ago when he passed away. Just this past summer I finally gathered the machines [in pieces] and meticulously restored them after they sat apart for more than a decade.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's awesome.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Bump from the dead!

Some of you guys have been to the hackerspace I help run, but a lot has changed since then. The lift even moved to a better location! We have a pretty sweet deal worked out with the city to rent a bigger place, but a bunch of assholes stole all the plumbing and tore up poo poo, so we need some upfront cash to repair build it out.

Here's the IndieGoGo link if you'd like to read about it/watch our video: http://igg.me/at/makeitlabs .

We have a reward listed that's more basic geared at people who want to learn how to change their own oil. Would anyone here be interested in something more advanced? Like you get the lift area for a few hours to a day? Possibly with a salty mechanic guy lending you nice tools and giving advice whether or not you ask for it? Possibly as a group event?

We may also have access to enormous empty warehouse with a semi parked in it. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have zero cash to help with that side of things but if you need a work party going to do plumbing and electrical work, sign me the hell up. I can sweat pipe and wire buildings in my sleep and consider building code as a bare minimum.

• Locked thread