Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I kinda thought the thread was worth it for the occasional co--wait no I'm thinking of season 3 thread. Was that the thread with that dude posting mad-good posts about the historical notes Mike & Bryan were hitting when designing the Earth Queen and the other nations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whichever thread had the same person posting about recipes and culture

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Man you know what's better than all the lovely posting?

All the self-referential posting about lovely posting.

As Mahatma Aang said to the imperialist firebenders, "be the poster you want to see in the world."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The thread is only as good or bad as we, the posters, make it.

Toshimo posted:

Hey. Remember when you were all listing your favorite characters from this series a couple pages ago?

Now, picture your favorite character in your mind.

Focus.

Now think about how they get dressed to face the day.

Now check out this pic:

Your favorite character is a garbagecan diaperbaby. Lin rules.

You make a persuasive argument, Toshimo. I think I can safely say that Lin is my favorite (secondary) character.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I actually liked the comics.

Well, the one where they went on the search for Zuko's mother, anyway.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I made some epic posts ITT.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Misandrist Wytch posted:

where is asami from originally? she sorta seems like shes probably the jew if it esisted in the avatar univerese.

Example.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It's a shame Korra didn't have any good seasons.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrPaper posted:

It's a shame Korra didn't have any good seasons.

False.

This was clearly the Winter of our discontent.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DrPaper posted:

It's a shame Korra didn't have any good threads.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Toshimo posted:

False.

This was clearly the Winter of our discontent.

Made glorious Summer by this son of Tonraq.

The Sharmat posted:

I still can't figure out if the ATLA comics are bad or if I just don't like comics.
They're mostly casualties of a medium shift. The plots of the second and third series are perfectly serviceable, and the second one in particular would have made a great little OVA. The dialogue and writing are no worse than average for the show. The art is okay. Without the comedic timing, fluid animation, and familiar voice-acting to carry it, though, it just reads flat on the page.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 30, 2014

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the first season of Atla, and I have to say the magical kung fu is done way better in Korra than the original series, but that could just be because of newer animation techniques.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrPaper posted:

It's a shame Korra didn't have any martial arts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
For what it's worth, I enjoyed Legend of Korra, but even Korra at its best would not even compare in quality of writing or entertainment value, to even a mediocre episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. It's much like the Star Wars prequels: you can't even compare the two. The Last Airbender is a monumental masterpiece of the genre, a modern classic like the original Star Wars movies. LOK attempts at the same, reaches, and is dressed up in a pretty package, but falls hollow, a pale imitation riding on the coattails of the success of ATLA.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrSunshine posted:

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Legend of Korra, but even Korra at its best would not even compare in quality of writing or entertainment value, to even a mediocre episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. It's much like the Star Wars prequels: you can't even compare the two. The Last Airbender is a monumental masterpiece of the genre, a modern classic like the original Star Wars movies. LOK attempts at the same, reaches, and is dressed up in a pretty package, but falls hollow, a pale imitation riding on the coattails of the success of ATLA.

Eh, I would put the Wan episodes and seasons 3-4 up against the best of AtLA.

Like off the top of my head the only things I would outright say is better was the Last Agni Kai, the storming of Ba Sing Se by the Gaang, and Day of the Black Sun.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I would call Book 3 of Korra the best book we've had in the Avatar series. It was the most thematically well-crafted with a compelling set of villains.

How would everyone rank the villains? I'd say:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I'd put Azula above Kuvira if I separated her from the rest of the Fire Nation though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rosalind posted:

I would call Book 3 of Korra the best book we've had in the Avatar series. It was the most thematically well-crafted with a compelling set of villains.

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I'd put Azula above Kuvira if I separated her from the rest of the Fire Nation though.

Red Lotus > Azula > Kuvira > Amon = Long Feng = Ozai > Unalaq > Admiral Xao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You're right. The best episodes of Korra just don't compare to the utter masterpiece that is The Great Divide.

What is it about TLA that makes the fans of it view it as this insanely perfect masterpiece that did no wrong? Is it just the age people were when it came out?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ImpAtom posted:

You're right. The best episodes of Korra just don't compare to the utter masterpiece that is The Great Divide.

What is it about TLA that makes the fans of it view it as this insanely perfect masterpiece that did no wrong? Is it just the age people were when it came out?

Well, I did say "mediocre" episode of TLA. The Great Divide clearly counts as a bad episode of TLA. Anyway, I'm not really looking at it through the lens of childhood nostalgia, as I only just saw TLA about three or four years ago, before Korra started airing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I almost agree with this but while I enjoyed Azula's breakdown the first time I watched ATLA, it suffered in the rewatch as it was very sudden with the only slightest of foreshadowing if you watch The Beach.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I did say "mediocre" episode of TLA. The Great Divide clearly counts as a bad episode of TLA. Anyway, I'm not really looking at it through the lens of childhood nostalgia, as I only just saw TLA about three or four years ago, before Korra started airing.

I would rewatch season 1 then (unless those are also "bad" episodes).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You may not be looking at it through the lens of childhood nostalgia but you're absolutely looking at it through nostalgia glasses. "A monumental masterpiece, a modern classic" are strong things to say about anything, and if you went into Korra expecting it to live up to those lofty expectations then it isn't surprising you've been so vitriolic towards it. You liked the show a lot (and I did too) but it has a lot of flaws, and many people seem to forget them, especially when it comes to criticizing Korra.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rosalind posted:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I think it'd definitely make sense to separate out the various Fire Nation villains since each season sort of focused on a different villain as the ultimate antagonist-- Book 1 built up to Zhao's siege of the north (although I guess you could also say Zuko was the primary antagonist of the really early episodes), Book 2's climax was Azula seizing Ba Sing Se and zapping Aang, and Book 3 was obviously all about taking down Ozai. It's not really structured like Korra, of course, since Azula was still a major antagonist in Book 3, and you had other recurring antagonists like Zuko (in Book 1 and the first half of Book 3), Combustion Man, or whoever.

So with that in mind:
1. Azula
2. Red Lotus
3. Kuvira
[...]
4. Amon
5. Zhao
6. Ozai
7. Unalaq

Azula, the Red Lotus, and Kuvira were all really good and I'm waffling a lot on the order to put 'em in.

If I were including Tarrlok, I'd put him above Amon, and if I were counting Vaatu separately from Unalaq I'd put him over Unalaq. And if Zuko counts as a "villain" he'd be... well, pretty high up there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rosalind posted:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

Varrick > Combustion Man > June > Koh > Dai Li > Xin Fu > Ganbat > Vaaatu > Hou-Ting

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Toshimo posted:

Varrick > Combustion Man > June > Koh > Dai Li > Xin Fu > Ganbat > Vaaatu > Hou-Ting

And what about Shady Shin, Two Toed Ping, Hama, and the Chou Brothers?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Probably Magic posted:

Lin and Suyin are basically the two sides of the Janus that is the Baby Boomers, and I really enjoyed them, especially since it led to badass earth-bending choreography.

So good. It fits so well...

Also, am I the only one who actually didn't mind Meelo?

Here's what would be the worst idea for the next series! Cyberpunk Avatar! Set in the fire nation, Firebenders have learned to manipulated circuitboards and jack into a VIRTUAL BENDING World! Earth benders are able to fightback with circuit board bending, but aren't as fast! Air benders are nomads and the water nation is completely left behind!

Ok seriously, since you don't have to follow a technology timeline, I think I'd like a 80's cold-war style for the next one... Bending is strictly regulated, and the avatar is in hiding from the gestapo, and most of the world believe the Avatar is gone... The white lotus & red lotus are both looking for the avatar in a east-berlin style Ba Sing Se. Spy Magical Kung Fu Action! Too bad there won't be a next series... Proves that if you want a long running series, what matters is if you sell merchandising...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think the problem with a Cold War-themed Avatar is that Korra would almost certainly be still alive, since she hasn't spent 100 years stuck in an iceberg sucking up all her Avatar juice or whatever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I think the problem with a Cold War-themed Avatar is that Korra would almost certainly be still alive, since she hasn't spent 100 years stuck in an iceberg sucking up all her Avatar juice or whatever.

Asami will probably take care of that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rincewind posted:

It would almost certainly be Watchmen but not as cool.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

holy poo poo

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

:drat:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kibayasu posted:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kibayasu posted:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

:vince:

computer parts posted:

It would almost certainly be Watchmen but not as cool.

It'd probably have better female characters than Watchmen, at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kibayasu posted:

Close the thread, it's not getting any better than this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kibayasu posted:

:golfclap:

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

:master:

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

... would not even compare in quality of writing or entertainment value, to even a mediocre episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. It's much like the Star Wars prequels: you can't even compare the two. The Last Airbender is a monumental masterpiece of the genre, a modern classic like the original Star Wars movies.
Dude, what?!
Ok, reality check: AtLA wasn't even that good. Neither was Star Wars! It's just better than most kids' shows, not a goddamn masterpiece of cinematography.

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Comparisons between the Star Wars prequels and Korra really bug me because it's clear that Korra, flawed as it is, was a labor of love and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it. The prequels were all about marketability and had no artistic care put into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I hereby declare this internet slapfight over the Star Wars prequels open

*bangs gavel*

You all thought this thread couldn't get any worse before its closing? Wrong

• Locked thread