Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What It Dooski posted:

And Les Miles would be at Michigan in a heartbeat if he was ever offered the job.

He's been offered twice: After Lloyd Carr and after Rich Rod. Second time he laughed them away and got a raise from LSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What It Dooski posted:

Another thing, Bob Stoops was apparently the main Plan B guy (in case Harbaugh AND David Cutcliffe had turned them down). The main guy at the Rivals Michigan site claimed that Stoops had intially reached out to Michigan to voice his interest. His name was thrown out a lot and that one doesn't surprise me.

And Les Miles would be at Michigan in a heartbeat if he was ever offered the job.

Please don't get your opinions from ESPN.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Mullen was plan B from what I read.

Either way, who cares.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DJExile posted:

He's been offered twice: After Lloyd Carr and after Rich Rod. Second time he laughed them away and got a raise from LSU.

Nope and nope, but thanks for playing.

Getting your info from Football Scoop? I hear it's a great website.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

"My fellow Americans, our long national rumor mill nightmare is over."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

Nope and nope, but thanks for playing.

Getting your info from Football Scoop? I hear it's a great website.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_reached_out_to_lsu_co.html

quote:

The 61-year-old Miles has twice been connected with an opening at Michigan in the past. In 2007 LSU pre-empted an offer from Michigan by giving Miles a raise and contract extension the night before the Tigers' SEC Championship Game victory against Tennessee.

In 2010, Michigan officials met with Miles in Baton Rouge and he turned them down. Michigan later hired Brady Hoke, who was let go last week after his record declined in each of his four seasons from 11-2 to 8-5 to 7-6 and 5-7 this season.

I had my dates mixed but the fact is they've approached him at least twice, both unsuccessfully. I don't fault them for trying, mind you, but Les isn't exactly chomping at the bit to go to Michigan.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AsInHowe posts are making my blood pressure rise

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

A lot of money in college football. Huge take there, Mitch

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DJExile posted:

I had my dates mixed but the fact is they've approached him at least twice, both unsuccessfully. I don't fault them for trying, mind you, but Les isn't exactly chomping at the bit to go to Michigan.

2007 - correct. Michigan would have offered but LSU gave him the take it or leave it extension.

2010 - No offer and there was never going to be. Brandon said he'd hire Miles "over my dead body" so I don't know where that's coming from but whatever.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DJExile posted:

I don't think that Miles would have been a lock by any means and I don't believe the people who say that, but you and your source are wrong. Miles was under serious consideration in 2007, but was not officially offered before LSU extended him. That said, I would definitely still consider that him turning them down, because he probably would have gotten an offer if the search hadn't been a bumbling clusterfuck.

He wasn't a real candidate in 2011 and might have accepted the position then. We'll never know. He definitely did not get a chance to say no.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Real Name Grover posted:

Mitch Albom should get squished by a giant steam roller.

EDIT: Maybe Harbaugh can buy a solid gold one with all his money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yes Miles is going to leave a school where he can win championships to go to a school where he can get pasted by the team he used to win championships with

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Real Name Grover posted:

Fun fact, Mitch Albom's contract with the Free Press requires a really small amount of sports columns per year, which Mitch planned to fill up by covering the Tigers' playoff run. The Tigers didn't win a game and got swept by Baltimore in only three games, so Mitch is writing columns where he calls himself Dr. Football and makes really bad dad jokes. It's awful.

RAW VIDEO OF JIM HARBAUGH WALKING OUT OF A HOTEL, WITH A MAIZE AND BLUE TIE - http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/football/raw-video-harbaugh-leaves-hotel-for-ann-arbor/30454764

quote:

Harbaugh's salary will be roughly $5M a year, plus incentives, same basic contract as 49ers.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 30, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Harbaugh's yearly salary is 5M + incentives. Per Bacon from Hackett.

Maybe he did want to come back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gonz posted:

"My fellow Americans, our long national rumor mill nightmare is over."

Oh yeah, one reason to hate Michigan - Ford would often have them play "Hail to the Victors" instead of "Hail to the Chief" when he would walk in the room.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Billboards around Ann Arbor today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those are obvious photoshops of the same billboard. What the heck.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

euphronius posted:

Those are obvious photoshops of the same billboard. What the heck.

They're mock-ups, the billboards are being put up now.

Also

quote:

Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants.

THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Jim-Bo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Regnevelc posted:

@Johnubacon
Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants.

Oh goodness, it appears that we have to adjust the narrative again.

Um...

Jim Harbaugh has brain damage!

I dunno, anyone got anything better?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Well, I'll admit when I have to eat crow. Dude just really wanted to coach Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Fun fact, Mitch Albom's contract with the Free Press requires a really small amount of sports columns per year, which Mitch planned to fill up by covering the Tigers' playoff run. The Tigers didn't win a game and got swept by Baltimore in only three games, so Mitch is writing columns where he calls himself Dr. Football and makes really bad dad jokes. It's awful.

RAW VIDEO OF JIM HARBAUGH WALKING OUT OF A HOTEL, WITH A MAIZE AND BLUE TIE - http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/football/raw-video-harbaugh-leaves-hotel-for-ann-arbor/30454764

Dr. Football is one of the worst things ever made and if even one of those columns got posted in the NFL Writing/Reporting thread or Sports Journalism thread in main SAS then most of the posters would be forced to commit ritual suicide. The only thing Mitch has done that's nearly as bad is the time he used his column space to talk about how great the actors in his Ernie Harwell play are.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

disheveled posted:

@Johnubacon

Oh goodness, it appears that we have to adjust the narrative again.

Um...

Jim Harbaugh has brain damage!

I dunno, anyone got anything better?

This sounds more like the $8M per year figure was Michigan's offer to him, which he refused as too high? Or perhaps the $8M was total budget for him and his assistants? I will be very curious to find out how this negotiation went.

$8M was a real number as it was floating around lots of places and agreed with by multiple sources who knew what was going on. Reportedly Schlissel/BoR had authorized Hackett to go to $10M if it got into a bidding war.

Nobody ever confirmed any details of the contract, though, up until now. Hackett has kept that under lock and key.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The incentives might bring it up to a maximum of $48M. We should know in a few hours.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

$8mil sounds much more like an all-in price including any potential incentives, assistant salaries, etc.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Regnevelc posted:

I've pretty much assumed that if he was at Michigan it's because he wants to be there.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its not like the current available NFL options are attractive

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

go3 posted:

The Falcons are probably the best open job where you could win the fastest and I think they would have been really good with Harbaugh, but I doubt Blank would be willing to give up as much control as he reportedly wants. The Jets owner reportedly doesn't like him at all, the Bears are a somehow even more of a mess than the Jets, and the Raiders are, uh, the Raiders.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

go3 posted:

Bears and Falcons are both not too far removed from being pretty good teams and have some talent in place to work with. And there's probably some others that will open up soon. Most NFL jobs that are open are going to have some flaws. Generally if they're open it's because the coach just got fired after a bad season.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Bears and Falcons are both not too far removed from being pretty good teams and have some talent in place to work with. And there's probably some others that will open up soon. Most NFL jobs that are open are going to have some flaws. Generally if they're open it's because the coach just got fired after a bad season.

Serious Q (two part)

You think the Bears job isn't a giant cluster gently caress?

What other NFL jobs you think are coming open?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Raiders said they were going to take one last try at him yesterday, it'd be interesting to know what they offered.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Seats also reserved for Lloyd Carr and Gary Moeller.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
The Bears job was a clusterfuck because the entire coaching staff was incompetent. And now they're gone.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sirotan posted:

Seats also reserved for Lloyd Carr and Gary Moeller.

And Bo's widow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

go3 posted:

Harbaugh committed to Michigan before he even knew what jobs would be available. York confirmed that he refused all potential trades.

He was not interested in staying in the NFL, period. He wanted to coach at Michigan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Serious Q (two part)

You think the Bears job isn't a giant cluster gently caress?

What other NFL jobs you think are coming open?

1) I don't think it needs to be. They were generally pretty stable with Lovie. They'd need to figure out what to do with the Cutler thing, but it's not like it's impossible to have a decent season with him as QB. I think Trestman was in over his head as an NFL head coach. As soon as things started to spin out of control he didn't know how to fix it. They have some rebuilding to do on the defensive end but they're certainly not devoid of talent.

2) The most notable possibility would be the Bengals if they get bounced in the first round yet again.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 30, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So does all this effectively make Hackett the full time AD now?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Press Conference starts at noon. Available at MGoBlue, BTN, and ESPN, reportedly.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

1) I don't think it needs to be. They were generally pretty stable with Lovie. They'd need to figure out what to do with the Cutler thing, but it's not like it's impossible to have a decent season with him as QB. I think Trestman was in over his head as an offensive coordinator. As soon as things started to spin out of control he didn't know how to fix it. They have some rebuilding to do on the defensive end but they're certainly not devoid of talent.

2) The most notable possibility would be the Bengals if they get bounced in the first round yet again.

That's fair. I don't think Lewis is getting the plug when they lose in the first round again, but I could be wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There does not appear to be a great HC market right now so I don't think a playoff coach is getting canned.

• Locked thread