Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

So's Kay. loving remembering things oval office.

Hoq long can it be until channel 4 start making list shows again, employing comedians to pretend to remember Peter Kay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm just a bit sad that the sudden end to it meant there was no bickering between the three of them to decide who picked the best car. I would assume that James would probably have won if they'd been able to decide a winner, but those bits are always fun regardless. I'm really hoping they do one in Australia, China or Canada next, since those are huge countries with a lot of great scenery to appreciate and Australia is basically the only continent they have yet to do a special on. Well, unless they plan on doing an Antartic one to compliment the Arctic one I guess. I doubt it however, cool as it would be to see them travel to McMurdo Station. It's hard to imagine how they'd make it markedly different to the Artic one even if they could somehow be convinced to go through that misery again.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Australia and Canada seems like the best ideas for a future one.

If only for damage control for Clarkson.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He can say any old racist stuff over there and if anything that'll endear him to the locals.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

tsob posted:

I'm just a bit sad that the sudden end to it meant there was no bickering between the three of them to decide who picked the best car. I would assume that James would probably have won if they'd been able to decide a winner, but those bits are always fun regardless. I'm really hoping they do one in Australia, China or Canada next, since those are huge countries with a lot of great scenery to appreciate and Australia is basically the only continent they have yet to do a special on. Well, unless they plan on doing an Antartic one to compliment the Arctic one I guess. I doubt it however, cool as it would be to see them travel to McMurdo Station. It's hard to imagine how they'd make it markedly different to the Artic one even if they could somehow be convinced to go through that misery again.

I'm fairly sure if they were to drive across Antartica they'd be found dead in the cars they came in, Clarkson's not exactly a world class explorer type. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm fairly sure if they were to drive across Antartica they'd be found dead in the cars they came in, Clarkson's not exactly a world class explorer type. :v:

Is Antartica that much more difficult to navigate and survive than the Artic? It would seem if they could drive to the North Pole, they could conceivably drive to the South - I've no idea of what the differences in terrain or environmental conditions there would be though, so perhaps not.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tsob posted:

Is Antartica that much more difficult to navigate and survive than the Artic? It would seem if they could drive to the North Pole, they could conceivably drive to the South - I've no idea of what the differences in terrain or environmental conditions there would be though, so perhaps not.

I'm no geographer but I think the arctic is just ice but antarctica has mountains and poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Is Antartica that much more difficult to navigate and survive than the Artic?

It's much, much more remote from any sort of assistance, and generally even less hospitable. The only benefit is that you're not likely to fall through the ice and drown.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

It's much, much more remote from any sort of assistance, and generally even less hospitable. The only benefit is that you're not likely to fall through the ice and drown.

And in addition to the ice and cold, it also has a good few seriously active volcanos, check out Mount Erebus with its' perpetually glowing lava lake.

Distinct lack of land predators in Antarctica as a whole though, which is nice. Though I suppose if you were all alone, without assistance, and nobody was watching, them bloody penguins would probably have a go at pecking you to death. I don't trust those chubby little buggers; nothing can be that cute without having some sort of nefarious purpose.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just tried watching some of Big Fat Quiz of the Year. I think I'll try again on 4oD later so I can skip through to Jon Snow summarizing pop songs, or just generally for Mel B being quiet. It is brought up that a lot of songs are written about arses, which should be good for a few minutes of chuckles, and she just kills the conversation dead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Irisi posted:

Distinct lack of land predators in Antarctica as a whole though, which is nice. Though I suppose if you were all alone, without assistance, and nobody was watching, them bloody penguins would probably have a go at pecking you to death. I don't trust those chubby little buggers; nothing can be that cute without having some sort of nefarious purpose.
Penguins are only cute on the surface. They have a notorious habit of killing, eating and loving their own. Often in that order.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goatface posted:

Yeah, if they run into trouble in the Antarctic, it's not a case of "Radio for a Norwegian helicopter from the camera van" like the Arctic, it's "Who has more edible meat on them, Clarkson or May."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 30, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finished Ideal, it was great the whole way through. I loved the music selection, especially the liberal usage of Coil. I wiki'd regional (i.e. not London) sitcoms because of it and found Hebburn. This show struck a chord with me somehow.

Edit: Grannies partying to Prodigy. :allears:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 30, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Anyone catch the 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown Christmas episode?

Brilliant as usual, and Alex Horne and The Horne Section are a lot of fun.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

BSam posted:

Anyone catch the 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown Christmas episode?

Brilliant as usual, and Alex Horne and The Horne Section are a lot of fun.

I wish channel 4 had the rights to a lot more gameshows because i think the format would work for a lot of others.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Kin posted:

I wish channel 4 had the rights to a lot more gameshows because i think the format would work for a lot of others.

Their 15 to 1 special wasn't very good. But I suspect that's because they had to get so many 'filler' 'celebrities' to compete.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

DrVenkman posted:

Part of it is his well know joke thievery and ego. From what I recall he's fallen out with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice (Both are absent from the season 2 commentaries) and Daniel Kitson has nothing good at all to say about him. I know there's separating the art from the artist and all that, but still.

Also:

- Continually fleecing his fans by re-releasing the same tiny amount of live material over and over again in slightly different packages.
- Is responsible for Paddy loving McGuinness having a TV career.

He was a really gifted comic actor but it seems like he squandered his talents through sheer complacency and greed. That Peter Kay Thing and Series 1 of Phoenix Nights were absolutely superb. Series 2 of Phoenix Nights, when it became "PETER KAY'S Phoenix Nights", is when the rot starts to set in(although it's still pretty good in places).

Everything after that has been negligible. It just seems like he decided he was successful enough that he didn't have to try any more, and now he just behaves like an overgrown toddler on other people's shows. This One Show appearance from a couple of years back is typical of the kind of poo poo he always pulls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswsD77ES9k

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jehde posted:

Finished Ideal, it was great the whole way through. I loved the music selection, especially the liberal usage of Coil. I wiki'd regional (i.e. not London) sitcoms because of it and found Hebburn. This show struck a chord with me somehow.

Edit: Grannies partying to Prodigy. :allears:

Ideal being cancelled before the final series was just tragic. I guess it'll never be finished up in a minor TV movie too at this rate.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Castle Radium posted:

Also:

- Continually fleecing his fans by re-releasing the same tiny amount of live material over and over again in slightly different packages.
- Is responsible for Paddy loving McGuinness having a TV career.

He was a really gifted comic actor but it seems like he squandered his talents through sheer complacency and greed. That Peter Kay Thing and Series 1 of Phoenix Nights were absolutely superb. Series 2 of Phoenix Nights, when it became "PETER KAY'S Phoenix Nights", is when the rot starts to set in(although it's still pretty good in places).

Everything after that has been negligible. It just seems like he decided he was successful enough that he didn't have to try any more, and now he just behaves like an overgrown toddler on other people's shows. This One Show appearance from a couple of years back is typical of the kind of poo poo he always pulls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswsD77ES9k

Someone in those comments called him overpowering and obnoxious, which I think is a pretty fair assessment. For some reason I thought I imagined the renaming to PETER KAY's Phoenix Nights. From what I recall he also takes over the directing duties too.

The S2 commentaries are horrible. The ones for S1 are a lot of fun (With Dave and Neil present) but the S2 ones has Kay and some fawning admirers that act in the show and he just comes across like such a tool. It's no wonder he hasn't done any new standup since he doesn't have anyone left to write it for him.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
Reminder, as I didn't see it posted, Charlie Brooker's 2014 wipe is on tonight. 10pm BBC2 :)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Putting out loads of DVDs is hardly 'fleecing' his fans. I'm almost certain his fans buy them because they like watching his antics, because he's very good at what he does.

He admits he's a control freak, and I'm sure he's a nightmare to work for, but he sold out how many arenas for comic relief? Which all those cast members who are apparently in the anti peter Kay camp, are doing, for free, for some reason.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He also killed his own ma. Sickening.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

He also killed his own ma. Sickening.

Wait, what? Knew he was a prick, but this is new.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Castle Radium posted:

This One Show appearance from a couple of years back is typical of the kind of poo poo he always pulls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswsD77ES9k
What is is about this clip that I'm supposed to be in such an unbridled rage about?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dicky B posted:

What is is about this clip that I'm supposed to be in such an unbridled rage about?

I think it's that he's an antagonistic child. And that he makes two jokes (About the show and about the presenter) and then just sort of hammers it into the ground.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

No he's not? No he doesn't? Maybe it would help if I viewed it with the same weird grudge that everyone else seems to hold against him because heaven knows it's boring to just not like a comedian without injecting a moustache-twirling villainous caricature into the echo chamber.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait, what? Knew he was a prick, but this is new.

RIP Ma Kay 1965-2013. He hushed it all up with his Pheonix Nights money.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dicky B posted:

No he's not? No he doesn't? Maybe it would help if I viewed it with the same weird grudge that everyone else seems to hold against him because heaven knows it's boring to just not like a comedian without injecting a moustache-twirling villainous caricature into the echo chamber.

But where would this thread be if we didn't decide the next comedy Hitler every couple of pages? discussing good quality telly of the past few years?

Haha. Oh god.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Just watched BFQ, Ross and Fielding not being on it was a welcome break.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dicky B posted:

this is something awful, there is no middle ground.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Putting out loads of DVDs is hardly 'fleecing' his fans. I'm almost certain his fans buy them because they like watching his antics, because he's very good at what he does.

He admits he's a control freak, and I'm sure he's a nightmare to work for, but he sold out how many arenas for comic relief? Which all those cast members who are apparently in the anti peter Kay camp, are doing, for free, for some reason.

When the DVDs recycle the same content, it can definitely be seen as fleecing his fans. I liked him when I saw his DVDs thanks to LoveFilm years ago, but had I paid for them I'd have been pretty pissed off!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Daedo posted:

When the DVDs recycle the same content, it can definitely be seen as fleecing his fans. I liked him when I saw his DVDs thanks to LoveFilm years ago, but had I paid for them I'd have been pretty pissed off!

I've no idea what you mean, I've bought every DVD he's released and I've enjoyed all of them, to varying degrees. The extra DVD from his last tour could easily have fit as a long extra on the actual tour DVD but it was hilarious enough to be enjoyed as a separate thing without having to even see the tour DVD.

e: in fact, I watched the extra DVD before I saw the tour DVD, and I nearly died laughing at the ship heckle, so it was easy worth six quid or whatever it was, in my opinion, of course.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 30, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Peter Kay is and always has been the worst kind of lowest common denominator poo poo. I like almost any comedian put in front of me (hell I sometimes watch Russell Howard) but Peter Kay is terrible.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

Peter Kay is and always has been the worst kind of lowest common denominator poo poo. I like almost any comedian put in front of me (hell I sometimes watch Russell Howard) but Peter Kay is terrible.

Yeah I can see why the most inoffensive comedian who ever existed can evoke such hatred.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe was brilliant. Loved the song at the end.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, that was all a bit depressing.

Much like how the thread has once again forgotten about humour being a subjective experience.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Charlie brooker really delivered again with 2014 wipe. Did he really find the original 'green hat Romanian guy' to do that bit?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As someone who spends their time digging through the crap Russia produces on the conflict in Ukraine the Adam Curtis bit made a lot of sense.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

As someone who spends their time digging through the crap Russia produces on the conflict in Ukraine the Adam Curtis bit made a lot of sense.

It was a quality piece.

I missed the very end, is there a new series of wipe due?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I missed Limmy and his pop-eyed paranoia, but it's always good to have a bit of Cassetteboy and Adam Curtis on the telly. No one does spectacularly bombastic speculation quite like Curtis.

God, what a drat depressing year it was though. Even Brooker himself was looking a bit weary by the time of the ISIS segment.

Irisi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 31, 2014