Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am in love with that post-roll call group pose. Not quite ToQger level, but fantastic in a traditional way. So excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The original actors for Faiz and Garren are gonna be in the new Super Hero Taisen.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2014/12/26/takumi-inui-sakuya-tachibana-appear-next-super-hero-taisen-movie/

Deneb is in it as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait, so I'm catching up on Drive and in episode 11 when Tomari interviews that guy, he says "You're really the one who brought Lupin in?" This means that the Gaim crossover movie is in fact canon with the series, yes?

Cliff Racer posted:

In sentai all versus movies are said to take place out of the (non-existent) main continuity. Of course Goranger vs. JAKQ "never happened." Gokaiger is its own universe where all of the previous stuff happened but as far as I can tell it isn't some sort of Ur timeline that the rest is based off of.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that as far as Gokaiger is concerned, the versus movies are canon, with the one exception of course. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though, which is fine.

Waffleman_ posted:

The original actors for Faiz and Garren are gonna be in the new Super Hero Taisen.

I am absolutely on board for more Faiz, though I'm not sure if it'll be as awesome as Showa vs Heisei was (even if the Kaixa part was over way too quickly). More potential Blade could be cool too, but honestly the only other original actor I'd be super hyped about returning would be Hibiki.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mach's debut is so good, you guys.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

quote:

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that as far as Gokaiger is concerned, the versus movies are canon, with the one exception of course. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though, which is fine.

What's the exception?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Really good episode of Drive this week, and we finally got an actual fight song! Surprise Drive is the first Kamen Rider opening I like in years, but an actual song for battles was needed and here it is.

About the episode itself...really cool Roidmude, but I can't say I'm liking Go too much. His fight was really cool, I like his powers, I like Mach's design, and I found it hilarious how he broke Shinnosuke's usual how-it-happened images; but his ego is irritating. Then again, it's the first episode, he'll get better. I already like what the preview is showing, how Mach basically accepts himself as a monster, using the Roidmude's own powers against them.

Also his name's an obvious Speed Racer reference and I can't ever dislike that. I also like how his street clothes are based on his Rider form, pretty neat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, so I'm catching up on Drive and in episode 11 when Tomari interviews that guy, he says "You're really the one who brought Lupin in?" This means that the Gaim crossover movie is in fact canon with the series, yes?

It's not odd for Movie Wars to get referenced in the main series, so I guess it's kinda canon? Like, Fourze had Gentaro use Rocket States from the OOO crossover in the actual series, too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Really good episode of Drive this week, and we finally got an actual fight song! Surprise Drive is the first Kamen Rider opening I like in years, but an actual song for battles was needed and here it is.

About the episode itself...really cool Roidmude, but I can't say I'm liking Go too much. His fight was really cool, I like his powers, I like Mach's design, and I found it hilarious how he broke Shinnosuke's usual how-it-happened images; but his ego is irritating. Then again, it's the first episode, he'll get better. I already like what the preview is showing, how Mach basically accepts himself as a monster, using the Roidmude's own powers against them.

Also his name's an obvious Speed Racer reference and I can't ever dislike that. I also like how his street clothes are based on his Rider form, pretty neat.

Mach's shirt seems to have special powers also as his shirt before henshin was different from his shirt post henshin.

I guess it kinda makes sense that the egotistical, high flying, Rider was in America and based off of Evel Knievel. It reminds me to watch some Kick Buttowski since he's in a similar getup with the same ego, but a more serious disposition.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

What's the exception?

Goranger vs JAKQ like I already mentioned, due to Amazon/V3 and Kikaider being in it. Kikaider doesn't matter so much but since Shinkenger/Decade established the Sentai universe is one with no Riders, it can't be "canon" as far as Gokaiger is concerned.

Sentai continuity has always kinda been hosed anyway when it comes to the crossover movies though. Like Yogostein still being alive in Go-Onger vs. Gekiranger despite them using G12, which would be impossible (since Yogostein was killed by G12 in its debut in the series). I think one of the early scans for Gokaiger specifically referenced Long breaking his seal which happened in the Go-On vs Geki movie, and so it was assumed that the crossover movies were canon for this reason (also since AkaRed from Bouken vs Super Sentai was a character, as well as Goseiger vs Shinkenger being canon for obvious reasons).

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not odd for Movie Wars to get referenced in the main series, so I guess it's kinda canon? Like, Fourze had Gentaro use Rocket States from the OOO crossover in the actual series, too.

It varies. I know the movie wars for Double and Fourze were definitely in continuity with the series, but they weren't for OOO and Gaim. I can't remember if they are for Wizard or not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Goranger vs JAKQ like I already mentioned, due to Amazon/V3 and Kikaider being in it. Kikaider doesn't matter so much but since Shinkenger/Decade established the Sentai universe is one with no Riders, it can't be "canon" as far as Gokaiger is concerned.
But since each Sentai series is in its own universe, couldn't the Shinkenger universe be Riderless and the Gokaiger crossover universe have Riders?

That is possibly the nerdiest sentence I have ever typed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

But since each Sentai series is in its own universe, couldn't the Shinkenger universe be Riderless and the Gokaiger crossover universe have Riders?

You might be right. At the very least, the Gokaigers didn't seem too confused when the Riders showed up in Super Hero Taisen, but then maybe they didn't really care, and Narutaki did say that it was a world without Riders and even though there's Shinkenger in another universe where Riders exist, they went to one where it didn't exist, kinda like how there's alternate Rider universes and...

Ugh. This really is all Decade's fault.

Finished ToQger 41 just now and it was amazing. They managed to make me feel sad for one of the villains. Also curious what happened to Nero and Mork, Zed didn't seem to kill them, but they definitely weren't at the Castle Terminal either.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I finally got around to watching Sharivan and drat it was good. Made up for all the awfulness of new Gavan. This seemed like a real space cop movie, while Gavan was just a generic action movie. Loved the all the sentai alumni in the cast. Looking forward to Shaider.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sharivan's only problem, I feel, is a tonal one.

I'm not sure what the HELL it was trying to do- the heroes never kill anyone, which is head scratching considering the original Space Sheriffs, but understandable if they wanted to take this to a lighter direction...

Yet it's bloody as all hell, WAY more than you could get away with on Kamen Rider nowadays, and the hero has to do a very questionable thing to win in the end.

That and I'm very curious how and why Monster Girl got played up as MORE fanservice than she already was- her entire job in Gavan was to sit around in a skin tight body sock, giggle, and laze about on Don Horror's lap. And some times pull a lever. Now she's definitely doing a whole lot more, yet she's traded her body sock for a sweater with no pants.

gently caress if I know.

Was fun though. Really curious why the Sheriffs no longer kill their enemies but that's a minor thing

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

source

Everything about this is beautiful.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I love how apparently Woolie from Super Best Friends Play moonlighted as a MOTW during his time in Japan, and that Mach is literally Kamen Rider MURRICA.

I want them to go full G Gundam at one point and have a international stereotype based Rider series :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The world isn't ready for Tequila Rider.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Solaris Knight posted:

I love how apparently Woolie from Super Best Friends Play moonlighted as a MOTW during his time in Japan, and that Mach is literally Kamen Rider MURRICA.

I want them to go full G Gundam at one point and have a international stereotype based Rider series :allears:
Isn't that what they did with Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya? One of the American ninjas had a denim costume (and was descended from Billy The Kid) and the other one, well, he's rocket and explosion themed and looks like this:

:stare:

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 30, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's neat in the new Kamen episode that when all three of the Type Cars are in the scene together Mr. Belt's voice echoes three times.

Really sad that they didn't include the Benny Hill Music for the chase scene, but the fact they immediately swapped to full on spaghetti western when the Roidmude showed up almost made up for it. I also don't really know what to make of Mach yet. He seems so far out there that you aren't supposed to take him seriously.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stallion Cabana posted:

He seems so far out there that you aren't supposed to take him seriously.
Between Meteor, both Birth, and Accel, secondary riders you can't take seriously are the rule, not the exception.

(For reference, I love all of them, especially Date, but oh Lord are they goofs.)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

Between Meteor, both Birth, and Accel, secondary riders you can't take seriously are the rule, not the exception.

(For reference, I love all of them, especially Date, but oh Lord are they goofs.)

I definitely think the difference between Meteor, Birth, and him is that he's a lot smugger. Like Meteor was an rear end for his arc but I wouldn't call him 'Smug', which is an odd thing to say. He looked down on people but didn't taunt them or anything like that, he just had a mission he was trying to complete. This was kind of similar to Date in personality, maybe with Meteor a bit more on the 'lecturing Fourze about what he's doing wrong' and Date more unwilling to co-operate.

Mach is just crazy smug so I feel like part of his arc is he's going to get in over his head and Drive will have to bail him out.

VVV- It seems like almost all of the music and sound ques in this season are just spot on at all times. It's all really good

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Did anyone else catch the original Kamen Rider sound effects when Mach was jumpin' all around and activating his belt?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

I definitely think the difference between Meteor, Birth, and him is that he's a lot smugger. Like Meteor was an rear end for his arc but I wouldn't call him 'Smug', which is an odd thing to say. He looked down on people but didn't taunt them or anything like that, he just had a mission he was trying to complete.

Meteor was absolutely smug. Not to their faces (because he was Ryusei) but in his asides he was very much "stupid people, heh."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

ImpAtom posted:

Meteor was absolutely smug. Not to their faces (because he was Ryusei) but in his asides he was very much "stupid people, heh."

well that's what I mean as the difference. Ryusei didn't usually go 'hah, you're a moron', while Gou very much does that. it's a different kind of smugness, I guess.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I keep expecting Kouta's voice from Gou because they look similar, and then his actual voice comes out and I'm both confused and amazed because it fits his character so well. The only thing missing is for Shinnosuke to refer to him as a BAD BOY like that one character from Fourze.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Never been cockblocked so hard than the aborted karaoke scene at the start of this week's ToQger.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It was honestly impressive that even while trying to make a silly joke they pause to point out that the Emperor has so much darkness that it literally infested Right's clothing just by getting into a fight with him.

But then Akira makes everything amazing. Holy poo poo his gloves have blinking lights on them.

I do kind of hope they get back into the action soon though, this was a cute episode but I am totally ready for the action packed finale that I know is coming. I guess it's actually a real issue since Zed kind of killed all his subordinates so there's none left for the ToQGers to destroy.

Ending of this episode was great. I actually didn't notice how close in appearance Right and Daiki Ise are until they were standing next to each other, they could be brothers.

And it looks like next Episode's Shadow is King Shadow, like I thought, so probably Queen Shadow in 44 and then 3 episodes of the Finale?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, I get the impression that you guys think that ToQ is one of the worst sentai out there, but what are the best? I know about Zyuuranger, and I did enjoy kakurenger but then I really am enjoying ToQger too. So, what are considered the Best and Worst Sentai?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So, I get the impression that you guys think that ToQ is one of the worst sentai out there, but what are the best? I know about Zyuuranger, and I did enjoy kakurenger but then I really am enjoying ToQger too. So, what are considered the Best and Worst Sentai?

Considered Best:
All of them

Considered Worst:
All of them

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I don't think ToQGer is bad :can: but it doesn't quite have that little something that made me enjoy my favorite Super Sentai series. I mean, they're a group of kids looking for their treehouse; I'm sure that's compelling for the target audience but it doesn't resonate much with me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
ToQger had some growing pains, especially with how over-the-top balls-to-the-wall FUN Kyoryuger was, but it's really hit it's stride and while it's not up in the top 3 seasons or anything, ToQger is not bad at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best sentai: Carranger.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Half the appeal of Toku for me is every series has its own flavor or genre of it, so it comes down to personal taste. Pick something you already like as a genre and see where that takes you.

Edit: I personally find Magiranger one of my favorites, even if both sides of the world have way too much focus on the Red, be it Kai or Nick.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
My personal favorite right now is Gekiranger. Love the martial arts theme and Jan. Suits were also cool.

Does anyone have any Super Hero Time streams? Cause the TaimaTV one I was using lost its streamer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My two favorites are Shinkenger and Go-Busters, because each series' final arc is really really good.

Gokaiger was also really good and gets points for being the first series I watched.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Solaris Knight posted:

Half the appeal of Toku for me is every series has its own flavor or genre of it, so it comes down to personal taste. Pick something you already like as a genre and see where that takes you.

Edit: I personally find Magiranger one of my favorites, even if both sides of the world have way too much focus on the Red, be it Kai or Nick.

...is there a Kamen Rider Sentai then? Cause I'm a hell of a Kamen Rider nerd.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gotenks0053 posted:

My personal favorite right now is Gekiranger. Love the martial arts theme and Jan. Suits were also cool.

Does anyone have any Super Hero Time streams? Cause the TaimaTV one I was using lost its streamer.

Has somebody done actually good subs of that yet or is it still just "watch the TVN subs and deal with Jan reading like Pooty-Tang"

I just want to rewatch it with good subs and add it to my collection.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Abaranger wasn't too bad? I don't remember much but the Abarekiller, but he was cool and Dino Thunder was drat good.

Does "the first 2/3s of Kyoryuger" count as an answer?

Edit: Gekiranger and/or Decaranger are my real answer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 3, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Abarekiller has the coolest suit design like, ever.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I really like ToQGer. I even admitted there are points I enjoyed it way more then Kyoryuger. But Kyoryuger is still good. I would echo that Shikenger and Gokaiger are both really good, and I like Gekiranger too, though I think at least the main 3 suits are kind of bland for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The villains are the best things about ToQger. The Conductor and Ticket are just below them.

• Locked thread