Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

April posted:

You've already forgotten that work clothes and shoes wear out and will need to be replaced. Not to mention, your wife may not be able to wear her pre-baby clothes. You have five goddamn pets and no allowance for vet bills. You aren't putting anything back for car repairs.

I think you're going to end up in more debt six months from now.

It's really good that you're looking at what happens in more worst-case scenarios (I notice that you pay for health insurance but don't have medical bills budgeted), but wow, yeah. That doesn't look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

April posted:

You've already forgotten that work clothes and shoes wear out and will need to be replaced. Not to mention, your wife may not be able to wear her pre-baby clothes. You have five goddamn pets and no allowance for vet bills. You aren't putting anything back for car repairs.

Forget vet bills - doesn't it cost a minimum of $150 (but as much as $300) just for food and other necessities? Where did that go in the budget?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I think you're going to end up in more debt six months from now.

It's really good that you're looking at what happens in more worst-case scenarios (I notice that you pay for health insurance but don't have medical bills budgeted), but wow, yeah. That doesn't look good.

I agree it doesn't look good. There are some caveats there however, such as the fact that the car could pretty much be parked most of the time if necessary, there is the option of bankruptcy, we could rehome the animals, I could claim federal withholding to help us through the formula phase, student loan deference, turning down the heater, I can contract nights and weekends, etc.

What I'm saying is I think we'll be OK.

So now that I've planned for the worst case scenario and we're likely not on the streets (I know things can get worse, but I think we've covered the gamut of planning for it), how should we proceed to plan for something more realistic? My wife will be staying at her job until her maternal leave is up (80% pay during leave) and our HSA contribution is going down in January since we've been contributing huge amounts so far (currently $4,200 balance since August or so). Should we plan for that extra money? If we plan for just my income @ $4000/mo and cut out the baby fund and the health fund we'll probably end up with another $1,500-$1,700 in "extra" money on top of that worst case scenario budget. Should we just plan for all of that? Of course most of that will go into savings. We may still pad out the baby fund at least. Should we plan on my wife going back to work?

Aagar: I missed the pets there unfortunately. Yes $150 is our budget, but usually it comes closer to $120 or so. There are non-vital expenses we could cut there if necessary while giving them (not us) the same quality of life.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You're honestly not going to be that badly off if you end up another 10k deeper in credit card debt, which is what I'm estimating as a realistic worst-case scenario (barring actual emergencies like someone getting sick or fired or hit by a car, which we'll just pretend never happens).

But I seriously think you should look into rehoming some of the animals sooner rather than later, but you're already resistant to that. Six months from now, your wife should look into employment or possibly a career change. You should right now be putting out feelers for another job, one that will come with a substantial raise, or barring that, work a lot harder on bolstering your side income. You should be getting deferrals on your student loans right now.

You already have an unexpected expense that is probably going to end up wiping out your emergency fund.

You posted a pretty scary budget and your very next assumption is "but don't worry, we're going to have an extra 1500-1700/mo coming in", which sounds reckless as all hell to me and I'm going to be really sad and disappointed if in April you suddenly realize that your plans are unrealistic and fall apart like literally your last major change where you moved to a cheaper apartment and then broke the lease to move into a more expensive one after barely any time at all.

How long is your wife's maternal leave?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Knyteguy posted:

There are non-vital expenses we could cut there if necessary while giving them (not us) the same quality of life.

Why have you not have cut those "non-vital expenses" already?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I agree it doesn't look good. There are some caveats there however, such as the fact that the car could pretty much be parked most of the time if necessary, there is the option of bankruptcy, we could rehome the animals, I could claim federal withholding to help us through the formula phase, student loan deference, turning down the heater, I can contract nights and weekends, etc.

What I'm saying is I think we'll be OK.

So now that I've planned for the worst case scenario and we're likely not on the streets (I know things can get worse, but I think we've covered the gamut of planning for it), how should we proceed to plan for something more realistic? My wife will be staying at her job until her maternal leave is up (80% pay during leave) and our HSA contribution is going down in January since we've been contributing huge amounts so far (currently $4,200 balance since August or so). Should we plan for that extra money? If we plan for just my income @ $4000/mo and cut out the baby fund and the health fund we'll probably end up with another $1,500-$1,700 in "extra" money on top of that worst case scenario budget. Should we just plan for all of that? Of course most of that will go into savings. We may still pad out the baby fund at least. Should we plan on my wife going back to work?

Aagar: I missed the pets there unfortunately. Yes $150 is our budget, but usually it comes closer to $120 or so. There are non-vital expenses we could cut there if necessary while giving them (not us) the same quality of life.

Woah woah woah. I don't think you're getting what people are saying. This as your 'worst case scenario' (it's not really - you missed a whole host of catastrophic scenarios) is terrifying. Using 'out on the streets' as your baseline for a terrible scenario is a mindblowingly low bar when you have a baby coming. I think what this is telling you is that you need to remove as many things that will worsen your chances as possible. We keep bringing up the pets and I know you're resistant. I know that your kid isn't here and your pets are, but I deeply implore you to consider that rehoming now when you have the time and patience to make sure they go somewhere good is the best choice. We have two pets, and I know how hard it is to part with them, but this look at a pretty high likelihood 'worst case scenario' should terrify you.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Rurutia posted:

We keep bringing up the pets and I know you're resistant. I know that your kid isn't here and your pets are, but I deeply implore you to consider that rehoming now when you have the time and patience to make sure they go somewhere good is the best choice.

I have heard it's pretty common for people to be super attached to their pets and that there is NO WAY they would ever even think about getting rid of them, and then they have their first baby and suddenly it's like pets? what pets?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
pre:
Income	 		4,000.00 

-   
Expenses                        	
Rent	 		1,100.00 
Fixed Baby Costs	510.00 
Health Insurance	500.00 
Groceries	 	400.00 
Utilities	 	150.00 
Car Ins	 		78.00 
Fuel	 		75.00 
Misc	 		43.00 
Internet	 	40.00 
Renters Insurance	20.00 
Phone	 		50.00 
Bike costs	 	10.00 
Pets	 		120.00 

Discretionary	  
Netflix	 		8.00 
Knyte Disc	 	75.00 
KW Disc	 		75.00 
Restaurants	 	50.00 

Debt	    
Car Pymnt	 	510.00 
Student L1	 	45.00 
Student L2	 	41.00 
GMA	 		100.00 

Total Expenses	 	4,000.00 
Adjusted for your pets and leftover into Misc. That's pretty tight, you're not thinking of actually doing this are you??

Bugamol posted:

I think your budget proves that your wife quitting isn't an option. That's my opinion at least. Maybe making that budget was a wakeup call. As others have pointed out you've basically budgeted to live pay check to pay check for all of next year. Unless everything goes perfect at which point you'll be slightly ahead each month.
That's what I got from reading it, too. I mean recurring pet care, let alone vets, isn't on the budget!

Droo posted:

I have heard it's pretty common for people to be super attached to their pets and that there is NO WAY they would ever even think about getting rid of them, and then they have their first baby and suddenly it's like pets? what pets?
This is how I got my lab. He is the most amazing lab ever, super calm but also very playful. His old family asked for him back after about 2yrs. Ha! He isn't going anywhere!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 27, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
KG: I think the general theme of the past few pages - ever since you've had the tax bombshell land is it's time to make *real* sacrifices in order to give yourself some financial breathing room when the kid comes. You've been able to make small bits of progress on saving some money while still maintaining your pre-budgeting lifestyle. I would contend that with your wife not working and your lack of emergency funds this will not continue to be the case. Here are a few options:

*Rehome the animals. Lots of people just 'forget' about their animals after they have a kid - my sister wanted nothing to do with her dog after she had her kid - it was just too much drat work. Your time/ability to care for animals is going to be significantly reduced once the kid comes along. You also have the fixed $150/cost of owning them + the potential financial disaster of a $1000+ vet bill that can happen at any time.

*No discretionary, no restaurants. In my opinion this is easy, you just go cold turkey. You flat out don't go out, and you flat out don't buy poo poo you don't need. That's $200 right there and $2400(!) a year of savings that go to boosting your emergency fund.

*No Internet, 1 cheap $20/month flip phone/tracphone. Share a single cell phone. Go to the library and check out books/dvds/use free computers/wifi. $20 / month vs. $98/month(including netflix).

*Re-negotiate rent / break lease and move. Bring your baby and your tired looking wife and beg the landlord to let you break the lease and get your deposit back and move, or reduce your rent.

*You get a raise, or you get a new job with better pay and/or benefits. This isn't what I'd consider a sacrifice, but it's very similar because it requires you to do things you might not be comfortable with regarding asking for more money or interviewing for jobs.

*Do *something* about the car. There has been lots of assuming/figuring that you are stuck with the deal you have, but I'm not convinced. Find a dealer that will take the car in on trade and let you finance a $2500 car + whatever you still owe on corolla. Find a credit union that will refinance you to a new 7 year loan. You do something to reduce that $500 a month to $250/month and you've gained a poo poo-ton of breathing room.

*Stop paying Gma for a while - she'll understand.

*How hard have you shopped for the insurance thing? $500/month for your family is probably pretty good insurance. You can't afford pretty good insurance. If you're both healthy and the kid comes out healthy there is no reason to pay for fancy insurance.

---
In my opinion you still have a ton of *potential* breathing room in your current budget. How do you get the breathing room? By actually downgrading the things you have in your life. In the past year of the thread, you've purchased a brand new automobile and you've moved to what I'm guessing the nicest place you've ever lived in since getting married. You've chosen to give up other things, but frankly your lifestyle hasn't changed a heck of a lot. A lot of the people that do budget threads don't really need to give up much of anything, they just need to stop spending in such a poor fashion.

If you want your wife to stay home, you will need to sacrifice.

There just isn't any way around it. You've got lots of ways to slice it, but you can't play a shell game with your budget and not be accruing any sort of savings. Continuing to save every month is how you maintain a secure lifestyle for your family. Having that $5,000 in the bank for unexpected expenses is how you will provide a stable home for your child. You can see how your emergency funds have bailed you out with your tax mistake. This isn't the last unexpected expense you will ever encounter.

I've done some downgrading in my life - it's just not that bad. I've moved from nicer places to cheaper places - oh well no big deal. I've had nicer/shiny cars and gotten rid of them for lovely cars. I've gone from having a cell phone to not having a cell phone. I bought a 'starter home' 10 years ago with my wife in a very nice little working class neighborhood - and shockingly - we haven't 'moved up'.

-Start with one of the easier items I outlined. Stop paying Gma - have a sit down with her and explain that you need the breathing room now, and commit to start paying her again in a year. If a year comes, and you still can't pay her then, sit her down then and explain you still can't pay her (this would be bad).

n8r fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 27, 2014

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

I agree with pretty much all this, except not paying Grandma. Knyte has to view this as a non-negotiable expense that should only come after dropping everything else, due to how hard it will be to start paying her again and the consequences for his relationship with her. At the very least, he will need to make all of those changes you listed above first, so he can honestly go to her and say "Here are all the things we've cut, and we still can't afford food for the baby."

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey hey hey. The moratorium on "dump the pets" talk in this thread is still in effect.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

slap me silly posted:

Hey hey hey. The moratorium on "dump the pets" talk in this thread is still in effect.

I don't really get this. I grew up with 5 dogs. I absolutely 100% loved them and they were the most important thing in the world. However i'm a realist. If I had a baby on the way and wanted to be able to stop working for a year to take care of baby then i'd highly consider rehoming them. Maybe not all - just cut it down to 1 or 2 but mostly because babies are massively stressful and they take 100% of your attention for the first 4-5 months at least. And I don't mean just pick a random home on craigslist or whatever. Like actually just post the listing on petfinder.com and actually interview the people who might be taking your pets.

We bred dobermans growing up and every family we sold a puppy to had a full interview. We made sure they had a yard or a good place to run the dogs. They had a plan for training. The list goes on. People think that getting an animal is all fun and games but they are creatures that should be well cared for. I see adopting a pet in the same realm as having a baby. It's a creature that requires your love and attention. Don't adopt/have a baby until you are in a financially good place.

I'm 27 and I have a house. I would LOVE to get a dog right now but my husband and I both work full time long hour jobs and it just wouldn't get the attention it deserved so we haven't adopted one.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Take it to PI! Note:

slap me silly posted:

The moratorium on "dump the pets" talk in this thread is still in effect.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

There's just no leeway in the budget and I don't think the tiny amount of discretionary/restaurants is going to work. 75 and 50? That's something like two orders of takeout, taking your sister to dinner once, and buying one six-pack.

How do you plan on handling unexpected expenses (going out for drinks with coworkers, new clothes/shoes, being invited to a superbowl party (isn't that coming up?), other generic celebrations, birthdays, being hungry but not wanting to cook, etc)?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
You don't want to hear it, but your wife has to go back to work.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Quantum Finger posted:

You don't want to hear it, but your wife has to go back to work.

That was their original plan and there's probably some numbers kicking around for it already. Having a second income helps out a lot.

Thing is, if his wife stays at home and runs the household with an iron fist of frugality (+2), she can probably cut the grocery budget in half, eliminate external child care costs and come up with loads of creative ways to keep them both within budget.

They still need to consider that for a short while they should refocus themselves on each other and their new baby. Everything else is secondary, in a financial sense. Grandma is family and should be paid off during this time but brown-bagging it to work every day, being quick to repair rather than replace clothes and shopping at thrift stores for high quality second-hand items should give you guys a lot more financial flexibility moving forward.

Please read this and consider making it a part of your finances: http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/envelope-system-explained

You're no longer in your crappy old apartment, you've got a lot of categories you need to budget for and being able to see exactly how much you have saved up AND to make it totally brainless to save towards those categories will really help out. Hell, you should grab a mason jar or some jug and throw all your spare change into that every day. There you go, that starts saving for next year's Christmas or a small vacation. Housemates of mine did that for years, it's pretty neat watching it fill up over time, even if it becomes a big horrendous to move. Heh.

Devious_05
Jul 3, 2007

n8r posted:

*Re-negotiate rent / break lease and move. Bring your baby and your tired looking wife and beg the landlord to let you break the lease and get your deposit back and move, or reduce your rent.

*Stop paying Gma for a while - she'll understand.
They literally just moved house and broke their last lease as it is.

I agree with the grandma option though, maybe just until sure the baby is okay and you can survive on that budget.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Should we plan for that extra money? If we plan for just my income @ $4000/mo and cut out the baby fund and the health fund we'll probably end up with another $1,500-$1,700 in "extra" money on top of that worst case scenario budget. Should we just plan for all of that? Of course most of that will go into savings. We may still pad out the baby fund at least. Should we plan on my wife going back to work?

You need to sit down with good, hard, real numbers and figure this poo poo out. You say things like "about $1,500 a month extra". We are probably going to lower HSA contributions, we are probably not going to spend the entire baby fund, we are most likely going to do X, we got some sort of soft quote on health insurance, etc. etc. etc.

The reality is the "budget" that "won't put you out on the streets" puts you ahead a whole $30 after you add back in pet expenses. Ya you "might not spend the whole baby fund", but you might also blow your eating out fund because you're both tired. Or decide to buy a video game because you need something to relax with. Or you could have things like paying for vehicle registration, oil changes, maintenance. You could get a flat tire, or two flat tires, or have car problems. You could have a $3000 tax bill that you currently have no plans to pay apparently .

I don't really know what to say.

Also you say that your wife is going to get 80% pay while on maternity leave. Have you looked into this at all? Really followed up on it? How is it paid? Through state disability? Through the companies insurance? I believe this was brought up before, but I don't remember if you ever looked into it. How long is her maternity leave?

If it's through local state disability she will most likely have to use PTO or go unpaid for 2 weeks (I think I'm not an expert on this) before it actually kicks in, and I've heard it's often a pain in the rear end to get them to actually pay.

Every time in the past where you've done this half assed budgeting (see when you moved for a most recent example) you've ended up blowing your budget. Since you don't have credit cards to fall back on, and a pretty limited emergency fund, this could quickly get you into a lot of trouble.

What I don't want to read in March is "Hey guys had to take out a payday loan because....."

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 29, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Knyte, you are completely hosed with your current plan. It's not going to work, you are spending more than you make. Your bad decisions, old and new, are coming to a head at a very difficult time in your life. You desperately need to evaluate what is absolutely necessary for the well-being of your family, and nothing should be off the table. Your wife has got to stay employed, and if you have any prospects for increasing your incomes you need to get on it yesterday.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
$510 per month for the baby is not enough, if $300 of it is going to prescription formula. That only leaves barely enough for clothing and diapering and you are going to spend quite a bit more on toiletries, home improvements related to the baby, doctor copays (depending on insurance), and lots of misc expenses. I have not followed the thread, but have you bought all the one-time expenses like stroller, car seat, cosleeper/bassinet/crib, playpen, and clothes? It is going to cost over $2000 before the baby even arrives.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Questions that needs to be answered assuming your wife continues to work:

1. What are you changing your HSA contributions TO and when will it take effect?

2. You and your wife should probably claim Married 1 (possibly make the argument to go Married 2) for your W-4. I would personally play it safe and go Married 1 (and just end up with a nice refund at the end of next year). What effect does this have on your take home income?

3. When (approximate within 2-4 weeks) will your wife go on maternity leave and come off maternity leave?

4. When will your 80% pay benefit begin? Immediately? Is there a holding period? How are you paid? Check? Prepaid Visa? Budget for this.

5. When do you plan to pay off your existing estimated tax bill (I'd use $3000 to play it safe $3500 to be ultra conservative)?

6. When is your vehicle registration due? You have a new car so I'm assuming this is like $200-$300. EDIT: This might be less in your state, I honestly have no idea how this works, but personal experience is that CA charges a fair bit for new cars.

7. It's been asked before, and rehashed, you've answered and provided proof, but double check the insurance on your car now that you've moved. I moved 2 zip codes over and my car insurance went up by $20 a month. Also double check you have the appropriate coverage. Also consider getting GAP insurance since you're so far in the hole. Any sort of at fault or uninsured motor accident and you're royally hosed.

8. Budget for things like work clothes, oil changes, etc. Alternatively increase your misc line item to try and absorb these types of expenses.

Now that all of the above have been answered (I'm probably missing some stuff) you should create a budget, by month, through at least June of 2015. Adjusted for income and expenses each month.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

80k posted:

$510 per month for the baby is not enough, if $300 of it is going to prescription formula. That only leaves barely enough for clothing and diapering and you are going to spend quite a bit more on toiletries, home improvements related to the baby, doctor copays (depending on insurance), and lots of misc expenses. I have not followed the thread, but have you bought all the one-time expenses like stroller, car seat, cosleeper/bassinet/crib, playpen, and clothes? It is going to cost over $2000 before the baby even arrives.

All of this has been answered.

80k posted:

I have not followed the thread.

Maybe you should if you're going to offer advice?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What was the reason to include prescription formula in that last prospective budget? Or was that just an exercise?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

What was the reason to include prescription formula in that last prospective budget? Or was that just an exercise?

I believe it was his attempt at a "worst case scenario budget". Where his wife stays home and they theoretically spend the maximum on everything. However he failed to put a lot of items into that budget, his pets $100-$150 a month, his tax repayment of approximately $300 a month if he decides to pay it off over the course of next year, oil changes, car registration, work clothes, no savings, no debt repayment, etc. etc. etc..

I think he meant for it to be a "hey guys see we can make it, but just barely, if my wife quits" and it somewhat backfired on him. Not sure though.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Jesus christ get rid of the pets man

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Read. The. Thread.

slap me silly posted:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Wow thanks as always for the great replies everyone. There's a wealth of information here. My wife and I will get together probably tomorrow and draw out some real budgets for next year. And as much as I loving hate to do it, we've decided that she'll be returning to work for now. While I agree that we may be able to make it work by going hardcore frugal and having some circumstances work out in our favor, the plan is simply too risky for me, especially with the aforementioned "monthly expenses = income scenario". A forgotten fee, an unexpected speeding ticket, an emergency room visit... there's clearly a vast array of scenarios that could put us in a rocky situation.

We're also going to start cementing the information that we can. My wife for example will be calling about her maternity leave benefits tomorrow to get as much information on that as possible, and I will do some more research on the income effect of different withholding scenarios (as well as the tax implications).

I think my wife and I will evaluate what we can cut so some small savings can be made. There's some room in pets, and there may be more room than I realize if we start buying food online and such. I'm sure with better planning we can cut groceries (but we need some readily available food to stick with a lower budget), we can probably cut some household expenses, absolutely on eating out, etc. However as before I think it would be wise if we don't try to stick with something that is bound to fail, such as taking a rice and beans approach again.

So basically just wanted to say thanks for the posts. KnyteWife or I will post an update as soon as we can, taking into account these new questions and ideas.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Yes, please for the love of all that is holy have your wife call and get the specifics. Like I suggested back in July. :negative:

RheaConfused posted:

Please have your wife check in regarding her benefits while on maternity leave re: her insurance. What I mean by this is, if she's getting paid through disablity, you guys may be required to cover the cost of her health insurance yourselves. Many companies who cover maternity via disablity require the employee to pay insurance themselves during that period, as in physically make the payment yourself because it won't be auto deducted from her paycheck since she'll be being paid via disability.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Doesn't her hr dept have procedures for that? When I had my baby my husband and I both informed hr I was having a baby and they scheduled a series of meetings to go over both legally mandated leave and company provides leave and benefits.

I'm guessing if hr doesn't care she probably isn't going to be getting much!

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

A lot of white collar "professional" places in this country don't offer any paid maternity leave, I am kind of shocked that an hourly retail worker in the US would get 80% paid leave.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

ufsteph posted:

A lot of white collar "professional" places in this country don't offer any paid maternity leave, I am kind of shocked that an hourly retail worker in the US would get 80% paid leave.

For as much Knyte poo poo's on where his wife works it sounds like a perfectly fine place to work retail. I always suspect there's way more to the story, but I'm hopeful this exercise really stuck with Knyte that his wife is going to have to work.

Knyte BFC said your wife had to work for quite some time and were pretty on point with that. What reasons did you not trust the thread? Was it getting too extreme or are you just wishfully hoping for this outcome?

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Veskit posted:

Knyte BFC said your wife had to work for quite some time and were pretty on point with that. What reasons did you not trust the thread? Was it getting too extreme or are you just wishfully hoping for this outcome?

It also struck me that he was arguing she should quit on the run up to the holidays because "her work really sucks right now." Well obviously, it's the holidays. I don't envy anyone working in a packed store all holiday season. But I assume now that the rush is over things will calm down and it won't suck so bad the other 11 months of the year. Just an observation I had, as it sounded like another knee-jerk reaction to something that may or may not be a long-term problem.

I haven't commented on any plan because I honestly have no idea what he can do at this point. It will depend on a lot of things, but it seems like his emergency fund will get wiped out (or nearly wiped out) by not doing his withholdings properly. While that is what an emergency fund is for, it's a pretty big loving "whoops" that could have been taken care of with some foresight and planning. Like what's coming up with maternity leave, everyone wants to see something more than "yeah it should be 80% probably."

I think KG is coming around to what may be the only option - Spartan 2015. Hunker down and cut out all extraneous spending until the emergency fund is rebuilt. The cutting of discretionary spending you can hope will offset the daycare expenditure and let you save something. Then start taking what was going into the emergency fund and start allocating it to goals, and if any remain start putting that back toward discretionary.

Based on the last budget numbers this will be Herculean, and will probably take the entire year saving $300-400/mo. I think it's time to stop saying "yeah not the beans and rice approach that's too drastic" and start saying "beans and rice until we have at least enough breathing room to weather a minor hiccup."

Aagar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just for comparisson sake, my wife is on maternity leave now and it's through short-term disability benefits that our employer offers. She needed to use 1 week of sick time before it kicked in, and then she receives 66% of her pay for the 8 weeks recovery time from a C-section (we got it in one lump-sum check). She is off longer than that, utilizing vacation time and then taking some unpaid to have 12 total weeks off.

You guys really should have had all this figured out months ago, TBH :-/

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

ufsteph posted:

It's probably just what's covered through state disability and the company lists it as a "benefit". I also wouldn't be surprised if 80% turns into 60%. 60% is what is covered by SDI in CA, but maybe where he lives it's 80%.

[sarcasm]It was brought up a while back (4-6 months ago?) and is one of the many things Knyteguy has been much too busy to deal with.[/sarcasm]

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

recovery time from a C-section

I also believe the "prepaid birth" was for an uncomplicated natural delivery with no epidural, which of course happens all the time in US hospitals.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

For as much Knyte poo poo's on where his wife works it sounds like a perfectly fine place to work retail. I always suspect there's way more to the story, but I'm hopeful this exercise really stuck with Knyte that his wife is going to have to work.

Her work getting too extreme? Yes it was pretty much that. Also there were quite a few posters saying that she may want to stay at home you should try to allow that, etc. In fact I felt like I was kind of getting pushed to have her stay at home, not the other way around.

It's short term disability from the state yes; not her work being all awesome. gently caress her work for taking away days off, almost forcing her to miss our family Christmas (which she requested off a month in advance even though it was her normal scheduled day off). Being on the low rung of a retail company's ladder isn't conducive to family. Things like this have absolutely been a problem for the past 4 years we've been together. We're lucky to get one day off a week together. That sucks.

We'll get back to you guys on the budget, so I'm going to leave the degree of austerity measures alone until we can pull some numbers together.

My wife did talk to her HR dept months ago about the pregnancy as advised, but they wouldn't tell her much. They said it was too early, or something like that. Probably just miscommunication. She'll call today for more information.

ufsteph: we're using the insurance company's estimate of the expected birth cost @ $10,000. We're going with the cheaper hospital in town also. All of our hospitals are good here so it shouldn't matter.

April
Jul 3, 2006

ufsteph posted:

I also believe the "prepaid birth" was for an uncomplicated natural delivery with no epidural, which of course happens all the time in US hospitals.

Oh, crap, I forgot about the epidural! Our insurance covered the procedure itself, but when I went to get it, the anesthesiologist on call was not in our network. If I remember correctly, the bill for that one was something like $2800. My plan was to go without, but after 17 hours or so, it was becoming necessary.

You did look into that, right?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

quote:

Consider your choices carefully
If your employer’s plan is considered affordable and meets the minimum value standard, you won’t qualify to get premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance.
Be sure you take this into account before you decide to choose a plan other than your employer’s.

Another reason your wife probably shouldn't quit. You might not be eligible for the $500 insurance you listed in your "wife stays home budget".

You seem to have no sense of urgency even though you're like 6 weeks away from having a newborn on your hands.

EDIT: Also I ran your numbers for health insurance on healthcare.gov and the cheapest bronze plan I see is $533/mo and it has a $12,600 deductible, no dental, and no vision.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 30, 2014

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Her work getting too extreme? Yes it was pretty much that. Also there were quite a few posters saying that she may want to stay at home you should try to allow that, etc. In fact I felt like I was kind of getting pushed to have her stay at home, not the other way around.

People have not been encouraging her to stay at home; they've just been trying to get a solid answer from you about the decision. The second her quitting became a possibility you started becoming extremely negative about her job. It's the exact same as with your previous apartment. Maybe we are getting a skewed perspective online, but it really seems as if you make up your mind first (perhaps without even realizing it) and then look to find justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

we're using the insurance company's estimate of the expected birth cost @ $10,000. We're going with the cheaper hospital in town also. All of our hospitals are good here so it shouldn't matter.

I'd be interested to see how they came up with their numbers. Considering at least 25% births in this country end up as c-sections, your number is potentially less than half the amount needed.

Figures in graph do not include the following:
• additional anesthesia services charge for all cesarean and most vaginal births in hospitals
• additional newborn care charge for all births in hospitals
• additional maternity provider charge for all births.

http://transform.childbirthconnection.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Nevada.pdf

I'm not saying this to be a jerk and frighten you, but you really don't seem very concerned. I don't even have kids and those numbers loving terrify me.

• Locked thread