Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mr. Wookums posted:

How is racial profiling effective? IIRC within similar demographics aren't whites more likely to be criminals per capita?

the difference is that whites commit victimless minor crimes (weed) whereas blacks commit acts of brutal aggression (weed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile in Idaho, a prosecutor is just askin' questions.

A judge threw out that conviction on appeal since the jury might have been swayed by the dog whistle air raid siren.

The County plans to appeal apparently...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

The County plans to appeal apparently...

Knowing the 2C they'll gently caress it up don't worry. They can't even plow arterial roads in loving December.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

How is racial profiling effective? IIRC within similar demographics aren't whites more likely to be criminals per capita?

Well racial profiling wouldn't be controlling for demographics for one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

:allears:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tsa posted:

Well racial profiling wouldn't be controlling for demographics for one.
Yes, but that's irrelevant regarding whether it's effective.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Comparing the height of the heel on Putin's shoes to Obama's
Ahaha holy poo poo I just realized that I'm the same height as Obama, so Putin would have to look up in order to talk to me. I find that far more hilarious than I should.:haw:
Hey guys, maybe using the term "Jewish question" isn't such a good idea.

Wikipedia on the Jewish Question posted:

By far the most infamous use of this expression was by the Nazis in the early- and mid- twentieth century, culminating in the implementation of their "Final Solution to the Jewish question" during World War II.
You know: Nazis, Holocaust, genocide, all that horrible poo poo.:godwinning:

Just a suggestion. Feel free to keep shooting yourselves in the foot though.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Bring it.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Yeeeeeeeeeees. :getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

The guy who used the term "Jewish question" in that statement is David Duke's campaign manager and regularly writes long, anti-Semitic screeds. He's not worried that you might interpret him as hating Jews, he's worried that you might not.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fade5 posted:

Ahaha holy poo poo I just realized that I'm the same height as Obama, so Putin would have to look up in order to talk to me. I find that far more hilarious than I should.:haw:

Knight, who he is quoting, is a neo-Nazi. There was no inadvertent allusion to Hitler, that's exactly what he was talking about

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ohhhh NOoooooo, don't do THAAAATTTT :allears:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Open the bloodgates :kheldragar:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Mr. Wookums posted:

While black people represent about 13% of the US pop, they commit over half of all homicides.

And before you go calling the police racist, the numbers line up well with reports from victims.

So if black people tend to commit the most heinous crimes the most often, you should profile them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

copper rose petal posted:

Yep selling cigarettes on the street is exactly the same as selling heroin to kids, another excellent analogy.

Also, there was no evidence that Garner was actually illegally selling cigarettes. He had been caught for it before, but according to the video of the arrest he wasn't seen doing anything more concrete than giving a cigarette to "that other guy in the red shirt" (who has never been identified). Considering that the officer who strangled him to death already had one lawsuit settled and is in the process of another one, both over abusing suspects and arresting on spurious claims, I find it really drat likely that they had nothing to justify an arrest in the first place (let alone a conviction) and were more interested in harassing him. This would mesh really well with the documented history of racial harassment in the NYPD like stop-and-frisk and planting evidence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

His phone must be ringing off the hook from reporters looking to get names right now. :getin:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Costa had a tweet out saying that it wasn't clear to him given the Boehner and Scalise statements whether Scalise would actually keep the position, but he's deleted it. Guess he's reading the tea leaves (:v:) to say he's sticking around.

'Course, if David Duke keeps doing his best to keep David Duke from being swept under the rug...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Teddybear posted:

This was within, like, the last hour.

Amazing. Boehner just might be underestimating this one, but hey it's not like the dude was being recorded like the Sterling was.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm gonna be on the road the rest of the week so I'm gonna miss most of this stuff as it comes out :( I hope Julie Mason covers it some, there's nothing journos like more than scandal.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

While black people represent about 13% of the US pop, they commit over half of all homicides.

And before you go calling the police racist, the numbers line up well with reports from victims.

So if black people tend to commit the most heinous crimes the most often, you should profile them.

So you're saying strong, effective social programs like snap should expand to eliminate poverty?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

David Duke, feverishly poring over the rosters for white democratic congressmen from Dixie who he could implicate, is perplexed by the lack of results

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, there was no evidence that Garner was actually illegally selling cigarettes. He had been caught for it before, but according to the video of the arrest he wasn't seen doing anything more concrete than giving a cigarette to "that other guy in the red shirt" (who has never been identified). Considering that the officer who strangled him to death already had one lawsuit settled and is in the process of another one, both over abusing suspects and arresting on spurious claims, I find it really drat likely that they had nothing to justify an arrest in the first place (let alone a conviction) and were more interested in harassing him. This would mesh really well with the documented history of racial harassment in the NYPD like stop-and-frisk and planting evidence.

You know, the thing about this NYPD slowdown is, it's what Garner was asking for. In the video he says he wants the constant low level harassment over bullshit crimes to stop. And in some attempt to thumb their nose at people protesting and asking for what Garner wanted and was killed for, they are giving him and the protestors exactly what they want.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oh poo poo.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The guy who used the term "Jewish question" in that statement is David Duke's campaign manager and regularly writes long, anti-Semitic screeds. He's not worried that you might interpret him as hating Jews, he's worried that you might not.

Fried Chicken posted:

Knight, who he is quoting, is a neo-Nazi. There was no inadvertent allusion to Hitler, that's exactly what he was talking about
Wait holy poo poo we actually busted through the Republican-Nazi barrier? I thought it was like Freep where you get infinitely close but never actually cross it. Wow.:stare:
Do it motherfucker, let's get this poo poo out in the open. If the bar for racism in America is at "you must have met with a Klan leader to be called racist" then let's find out who met with the Klan leader.:getin:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

So you're saying strong, effective social programs like snap should expand to eliminate poverty?

Maybe but that's a red herring. I'm saying that enforcing the law doesn't all of a sudden become racist when the perp is not white.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

Wait holy poo poo we actually busted through the Republican-Nazi barrier? I thought it was like Freep where you get infinitely close but never actually cross it. Wow.:stare:

Duke is sort of an an institution unto himself, but was a big part of Louisiana politics in the nineties. I posted this upthread, but in case you were under any impression that Duke and Knight weren't neo-Nazis, here's the speech that Duke gave at the same event Scalise was speaking at in 2002.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Amergin posted:

Maybe but that's a red herring. I'm saying that enforcing the law doesn't all of a sudden become racist when the perp is not white.

Law enforcement is selective by nature. Choosing to enforce the law against people of color more often than white people doesn't magically stop being racist just because you're enforcing the law.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Fox News presents awards for the worst reporting...

This whole video is magical. :allears:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

So I'm guessing this means "To all the Republicans thinking about throwing him under the bus here, I'll throw you under the bus if you do." Interesting that THIS is the comment that Boehner waits until after to put out his "stand behind our guy" message.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Yeah that's true but it ignores the underlying causes of crimes like cigarette tax evasion. Get to the source of the problem which, putting on your color canceling goggles®, is indeed poverty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Amergin posted:

1. Use systemic oppression and racism that you can deny is racism to put black people in a near-permanent state of poverty and deny them opportunities. Make sure to shoot lots of them, especially unarmed ones.

2. Decry any opportunities people try to give exclusively to black people as "racist" for not also being given to whites. Demand that White History Month be enacted.

3. Downtrodden blacks in ghettos turn to crime or join gangs to try and improve their lot in life when they're unable to advance legally.

4. :smuggo: "Well, looks like we're right to racially profile if all these blacks keep hurting people."

5. Cycle continues.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

copper rose petal posted:

Law enforcement is selective by nature. Choosing to enforce the law against people of color more often than white people doesn't magically stop being racist just because you're enforcing the law.

I was gonna respond to Amergin, then I read his name and used my time for something more productive, like loudly picking my nose.

Oh no, an NYPD work slowage!! Who will give out bullshit tickets, hassle innocent people and kill unarmed civilians now??

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

1. Use systemic oppression and racism that you can deny is racism to put black people in a near-permanent state of poverty and deny them opportunities. Make sure to shoot lots of them, especially unarmed ones.

Except black victims are 93% of the time the victims of black offenders.

White victims are only 85% of the time the victims of white offenders.

So who is the victim of racial crime now?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Oh no, an NYPD work slowage!! Who will give out bullshit tickets, hassle innocent people and kill unarmed civilians now??

That was my very first reaction, too. The cops are going to throw a temper tantrum and by doing so, they are actually creating a net benefit to society. I guess it shows just how ignorant they are if they think the public is going to respond negatively to this tactic.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

No, the red herring is believing that constant harassment for low-level crimes affects the murder rate.

Amergin posted:

Black victims of black offenders are harassed by police just as much as the offenders are.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 30, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

It does? http://www.csdp.org/edcs/page30.htm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

I feel like you are telling me something, but I also feel like you are completed missing the point....

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

fade5 posted:

Man speaking of which, just how much overlap is there in the userbases of Freep and Stormfront?

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

85% is still pretty high. Why can't whites act like civilized people instead of thugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

Maybe do things that prevent murders rather than use them as a statistic to oppress minorities through systematic racism...

quote:

High criminal arrest and homicide mortality levels among young people are often attributed to biological and developmental flaws innate to adolescence. A special data run by the California Criminal Justice Statistics Center detailing arrests by offense, age, and race/ethnicity for 2006 provides new opportunities to examine the relationship
between demographic and socioeconomic factors and crime outcomes by age. Preliminary rate and bivariate regression analyses find that poverty is more concentrated in younger than older ages, low poverty status is strongly connected to higher levels of criminal arrest and homicide for every age, and poverty level is a significantly larger predictor of arrest and homicide risk than is age. The conclusion that higher rates of crime and murder among young ages, like high rates among African Americans, relate more to low socioeconomic status than to innate characteristics adhering to age challenges prevailing notions of the “crime proneness” of adolescents.

From http://www.cjcj.org/uploads/cjcj/documents/Does_age.pdf

• Locked thread