Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reason #52838492 that Captain Toad is the best: quality use of gender roles in a very reasonable way

The excuses for not owning this game are down to 1: being a literal gelatinous cube 2: being the actual captain toad in the game (thanks for the fun buddy!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Verisimilidude posted:

So Bayonetta 2 was great but I'm having trouble getting into Bayonetta 1. Everything just seems dull grey in comparison, and the controls feel clunkier. Is it worth sticking with, or would I be better served just going through B2 again to get all the collectibles? (which I'm having a blast doing)

Bayonetta 1 has a cool final boss and a hilarious ending but other than that 2 makes it obsolete in pretty much every way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

So Bayonetta 2 was great but I'm having trouble getting into Bayonetta 1. Everything just seems dull grey in comparison, and the controls feel clunkier. Is it worth sticking with, or would I be better served just going through B2 again to get all the collectibles? (which I'm having a blast doing)

Bayonetta 2 plays a lot better than the first one (which was already pretty good) so playing it second can be pretty rough. OTOH, the final boss is amazing in the usual Platinum style unlike Bayonetta 2 where it feels like a leftover mid-boss showdown.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Vanquish had a pretty crappy final boss, too. Like crappy enough that I figured what I was doing was the lead up to the real final battle. I'm going to assume both Vanquish and Bayonetta 2 has the same guy handle the final boss. Platinum needs to just tell that guy that he's making the final boss, and then stick it in somewhere one-third of the way through the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vanquish's real final boss was the challenge mode level where you have to fight 2 of him at the same time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Surlaw posted:

Bayonetta 1 has a cool final boss and a hilarious ending but other than that 2 makes it obsolete in pretty much every way.

Yea, it's worth beating Bayo 1 for the ending credits sequence alone.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Can I take my Smash save over to a friend's house so his kids can unlock poo poo for me and then bring that data home, like in the memory card days of yore? Or would I have to take my whole Wii U because loving online profiles and our general dystopian reality?

Have a nice new year's, everybody

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Copper Vein posted:

Can I take my Smash save over to a friend's house so his kids can unlock poo poo for me and then bring that data home, like in the memory card days of yore? Or would I have to take my whole Wii U because loving online profiles and our general dystopian reality?

Have a nice new year's, everybody

The dystopia thing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I really wish they'd let you import your unlocked characters from 3DS Smash. My brother unlocked everything on his save file but I have to use mine if I want to play online with my stats and I don't have everyone unlocked and it stinks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Stan Taylor posted:

I really wish they'd let you import your unlocked characters from 3DS Smash. My brother unlocked everything on his save file but I have to use mine if I want to play online with my stats and I don't have everyone unlocked and it stinks.

You can unlock all the characters in 30 minutes if you wanted to. You honestly don't have to be "good" to do so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

Just do a whole bunch of 1v1 1-stock matches and suicide. Character unlocks happen after set numbers of VS matches, so you can just grind through them quickly if you want.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I don't want to spend thirty minutes walking my guy off the ledge. I already unlocked all the characters once. It is dumb that I can't carry that over or copy my bro's save file.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

I don't want to spend thirty minutes walking my guy off the ledge. I already unlocked all the characters once. It is dumb that I can't carry that over or copy my bro's save file.

It won't take 30 minutes, not even close. Oh, and if you actually just spend time playing Smash (either with CPUs or friends or whatever), all those matches are going to count too. I had all but 1 character unlocked the first night of having the Wii U version just from hanging out with a buddy and playing some Smash Bros. Its not this great ordeal you're making it out to be.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Stan Taylor posted:

you can't just copy your friends' saves on most (any?) consoles anymore. they have console ids that have to match the save ids or they dont work. i have a program on my pc just for stripping the console id out of ps3 saves

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm only saying its mildly annoying though. Its a legitimate gripe if you ask me. Don't know why people are so quick to defend dumb junk like this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm only saying its mildly annoying though. Its a legitimate gripe if you ask me. Don't know why people are so quick to defend dumb junk like this.

I don't think anyone's defending it, moreso saying that it wouldn't take much to just to cheese the character unlocks since this is the easiest Smash to do so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

Because its the most trivial complaint of all time. You probably could have finished unlocking everyone in the time you've been posting about not having everyone unlocked.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

jivjov posted:

Because its the most trivial complaint of all time. You probably could have finished unlocking everyone in the time you've been posting about not having everyone unlocked.

I am at work.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So are the challenge times worth doing in captain toad? Do I get a special sparkle to books or do they exist just as an optional thing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So are the challenge times worth doing in captain toad? Do I get a special sparkle to books or do they exist just as an optional thing

You just get little stars on the covers of each of the books when you do them all. They don't unlock anything.

Pretty fun though, and some of them require some creative thinking.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is Resident Evil Revelations worth grabbing on Wii U?

I played a little bit of it on 3DS and enjoyed it, I just found the control scheme a little annoying.

Also while I'm at it, what about Kirby's Dreamland as a Club Nintendo reward, good?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The controls are better but at the same time there isn't really anything new in the game. If you don't find yourself replaying the raids on the 3DS a lot there's no point. The framerate could have honestly been a little better for the console ports too, it looks fantastic on 3DS though.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is a lot of fun! It has a Metroid level. :)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hmm, maybe I'll just grab the Lego Movie game then (looking to buy something around 15 bucks so I can get one last DD reward).

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

You just get little stars on the covers of each of the books when you do them all. They don't unlock anything.

Pretty fun though, and some of them require some creative thinking.
I need those stars it's paramount

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hmm, maybe I'll just grab the Lego Movie game then (looking to buy something around 15 bucks so I can get one last DD reward).

If you have Club Nintendo points, the games you get there digitally count too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Do you have Shovel Knight? $14.99 and an extremely good game, check some footage out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

I am at work.

The equivalent amount of time, then. Seriously, this is another of those cases where, yeah it would be super cool for 3DS progress to carry over or for Nintendo to allow save copying...but its really not worth getting bent out of shape over; especially when actually unlocking characters is super easy to do.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If anything, it's stupid and annoying that the custom moves unlocked in one don't transfer over to the other. There are already hundreds of them to unlock and they are already a sizeable pain in the arse to unlock that it is a rather lovely thing to do to expect us to unlock them twice.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Crawfish posted:

If anything, it's stupid and annoying that the custom moves unlocked in one don't transfer over to the other. There are already hundreds of them to unlock and they are already a sizeable pain in the arse to unlock that it is a rather lovely thing to do to expect us to unlock them twice.

You're forgetting there's also no Smash Run to grind them out. I don't think I've unlocked any alternate moves for the Wii u version while in the same time for the 3ds I'd say I had around thirty percent.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I just bought a Wii U in the sales! Did I make the right choice? I need my spending habits to be validated by strangers on the internet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ronnie posted:

I just bought a Wii U in the sales! Did I make the right choice? I need my spending habits to be validated by strangers on the internet.

You are now a member of the happy pleasant gamers club, congratulations!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ronnie posted:

Welcome to gaming bliss

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ronnie posted:

It's the best and cutest system out of the three so good work

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how many points do i need to get a thing from the digital deluxe promotion? I might just buy pikmin on the eshop since i am watching copies get gobbled up on ebay at $75+

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ronnie posted:

I just bought a Wii U in the sales! Did I make the right choice?
That depends, did you buy GOTY 2014 and 2015 Captain Toad?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Awesome! posted:

how many points do i need to get a thing from the digital deluxe promotion? I might just buy pikmin on the eshop since i am watching copies get gobbled up on ebay at $75+

You can check here: https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

10% back on anything you purchase digitally, minimum of 500 points to get a $5 gift card. Pikmin 3 bought digitally would be 599 points.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

December 31st is so close. Just another day or so til we get a flood of goons posting images of their points and $5 codes earned. :awesome:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Louisgod posted:

You can check here: https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

10% back on anything you purchase digitally, minimum of 500 points to get a $5 gift card. Pikmin 3 bought digitally would be 599 points.

so if i have no points currently buying pikmin would give me a $5 coupon but i would need to do it before tomorrow

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome! posted:

so if i have no points currently buying pikmin would give me a $5 coupon but i would need to do it before tomorrow

This is exactly right.

Have you made zero digital purchases since you got your Wii U though? As long as you made a Nintendo ID/etc. you should already have points for those as well. As an example I never bothered to check until a couple of days ago and had $20 worth of $5 codes ready to go. You have until March to claim any codes you earned.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 30, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
That, and things you get for "free" from promotions like Club Nintendo go toward the point total. For example, platinum status let you get NES Remix, which is $14.99, so you'd get 149 points for it even though you didn't technically pay anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Evil Vin posted:

You're forgetting there's also no Smash Run to grind them out. I don't think I've unlocked any alternate moves for the Wii u version while in the same time for the 3ds I'd say I had around thirty percent.

Yea it's an odd choice to not have the 3DS version carry anything over to the Wii U version. I've been having 8 amiibos fight in 99 stock matches while I do homework or whatever to get the custom moves.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread