Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you screw it up he doesn't get the giant permanent +4 to his wisdom, so he gets a lot fewer casting slots. That and Viconia's innate magic resistance makes her pretty much the optimal choice for evil cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah, I've never done him as Chaotic Neutral before, and I figured he might be a bit less squishy than Viconia. I knew he wasn't as effective without the knight upgrade, but if it's going to reduce his spells further I may just suck it up and go with Viccy. That said, I wasn't planning on going full on evil with the party (I don't want it to get to the random unexpected people trying to kill you spawning level of reputation when I'm iron manning) and I don't think Anomen gets into any proper fights with other characters (except maybe Keldorn if he fails his test? Or am I imagining that?)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Dyna Soar posted:

he's much more fun as chaotic neutral
I like Lawful Good Anomen more. Not only are his stats better, but his sound set changes so he stops being whiny and complaining when you select him or give him commands. Never made him chaotic neutral so I have no idea if that changes what he says. (Looking through the dialogue tree, I think that if you romance Anomen and make him CN can cause him to eventually abandon the party.)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't want to exaggarate but romancing anomen is probably one of the last things i would voluntarily do

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Eh, I'm attached to my female characters and after so many years, my completist streak was going to insist on completing a romance some time.
Though I still can't comprehend why, with all the romance mods that have been made, nobody has ever corrected Bioware's error and added in a Haer'Dalis romance :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Acaila posted:

Though I still can't comprehend why, with all the romance mods that have been made, nobody has ever corrected Bioware's error and added in a Haer'Dalis romance :(

They have.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I'd think the only one without a romance mod at this point is Biff the Understudy.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
jan jansen romance, only with half-orc barbarians though and not entirely consensual

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

I like Lawful Good Anomen more. Not only are his stats better, but his sound set changes so he stops being whiny and complaining when you select him or give him commands. Never made him chaotic neutral so I have no idea if that changes what he says. (Looking through the dialogue tree, I think that if you romance Anomen and make him CN can cause him to eventually abandon the party.)

I like Anomen's quest. Despite it being an example of the problem in BG games where the evil path is not rewarded nearly as much, it actually makes sense with Anomen. He really wants to be a knight and going on a vengeful murder spree is the wrong thing to do for that so it should be akin to a qyest failure.

One of the problems I have with newer RPGs is that, while they really are better at allowing good or evil paths for players, the choices are overly simplified morally and it basically involving no "wrong" choices. BG legitimately allows you to gently caress up quests by making the wrong choices.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 29, 2014

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Right, the iron man thing is going on hold.
And rumours that I just shrieked like a teenage girl are a complete fabrication.

And I think I even have an install of the non-enhanced edition I can try it out on without having to work out how they work together! Hoorah!
EDIT: Oh apparently it is compatible! Fabulous!

Acaila fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 29, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fong posted:

I like Anomen's quest. Despite it being an example of the problem in BG games where the evil path is not rewarded nearly as much, it actually makes sense with Anomen. He really wants to be a knight and going on a vengeful murder spree is the wrong thing to do for that so it should be akin to a qyest failure.

One of the problems I have with newer RPGs is that, while they really are better at allowing good or evil paths for players, the choices are overly simplified morally and it basically involving no "wrong" choices. BG legitimately allows you to gently caress up quests by making the wrong choices.

There's even one quest in BG1 entirely up to the RNG whether it succeeds

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

a medical mystery posted:

There's even one quest in BG1 entirely up to the RNG whether it succeeds

Which one is that?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Which one is that?

The Dechickenator

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Taliesyn posted:

The Dechickenator

I always reload that one until I get the "good" result. Partially it's out of compassion for the poor apprentice (who is FOWL!), but mostly because I just can't stand to waste a good chicken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mzbundifund posted:

Anomen is good-aligned once you complete his quest, so he probably wouldn't be the best choice in that party.

There are ways to complete his quest where he isn't, just make sure someone dies.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
I think you get the same xp reward regardless of if Melicamp lives or dies, his existence is really just cosmetic.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
You only get the xp if he lives, as well as a point of reputation. I've just started an ironman run (there's going to be a thread soon right?) and Melicamp died on me. I swear he never lives unless I savescum.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Mountaineer posted:

You only get the xp if he lives, as well as a point of reputation. I've just started an ironman run (there's going to be a thread soon right?) and Melicamp died on me. I swear he never lives unless I savescum.

Friday or Saturday, yeah. Ready those posts.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I am busy with Anomen right now, actually, and just told him that Saerk may be innocent, which puts the good quest on hold for a while from the looks of things.
My current party is
CHARNAME - Kensai that I am not going to dual after all
Minsc
Jaheira
Nalia
Anomen
Mazzy

Thinking that I will drop Nalia for Imoen once Imoen is free, and Mazzy... maybe Korgan or Dorn, as long as it doesn't mess with the party dynamics. Not interested in fighting and bickering.
Also going to drop Mazzy at some point to pick up Yoshimo again and finish his side of things.

Any other suggestions for party fun if I want to have Minsc, Imoen and Anomen along with my Kensai?
I have not yet found Rashaad (that is his name, right?).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

drat, is there a bug with the unseeing eye quest on ipad? I killed the unseeing eye and got the xp and amulet, and the rod seems to have disappeared after use, but I can not initate dialogue with the avatar and the diseased one does not bring up anything new when I try to chat with him. I'll try just go to the temple and see if I can complete the quest there, but I am sure I can get more xp and the Saving Grace shield if I complete the quest here :/

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Keldorn would be a better fit for your party than Korgan or Dorn. Also, Rasaad is in Trademeet IIRC.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Any other suggestions for party fun if I want to have Minsc, Imoen and Anomen along with my Kensai?
I have not yet found Rashaad (that is his name, right?).

You pretty much have everything you need in that party so you can take pretty much anyone. Anomen and Keldorn fit pretty well together. If you like Rashaad he's decent I guess? You could keep the 6th slot as a free slot to try out diffrent characters, thats how I usually play.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't think I've ever seen Antichickenator work other than the first time I ever played the game.

He blew up in my ironman yesterday, too (though with dudes at levels 5/6/7, I don't care too much. I'm just doing all the wilderness areas I missed before I waltz into Baldur's Gate)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm still disappointed that Baeloth, the hidden drow sorcerer, didn't make it into BG2EE. He would have been the only member of an unrepresented but fun and popular class, and from what little I recall from BG1 he well could have been a fun, sort of comedy relief evil character. He wasn't very fleshed out in 1EE and didn't even have a personal quest, but he certainly could have been in 2 while serving an underserved niche.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't want to exaggarate but romancing anomen is probably one of the last things i would voluntarily do
You'll miss out on this item if you don't though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I had no idea Icewind Dale EE was released. Is it worth picking up if I still have the original running perfectly?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

I had no idea Icewind Dale EE was released. Is it worth picking up if I still have the original running perfectly?

the engine has some minimal improvements, most notably faster / non-existant loading times, native support for modern resolutions and a useless zoom function. it's pretty much the same game under the hood, unlike the bg's it was pretty much bug free.

do you want to use bg2 rules and classes on icewind dale? do you care? if you do, it's worth it. there's no added content outside of an updated engine and a few rule changes.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

do you want to use bg2 rules and classes on icewind dale? do you care? if you do, it's worth it. there's no added content outside of an updated engine and a few rule changes.
Technically there is some restored content that had already been cut from the original game due to time constraints, like the ghostly paladin quest in Lower Dorm's Deep, or finding and using an item to save the blind deep gnomes that Malavon has in his dungeon instead of being forced to watch them all die. Though that content is pretty minimal I must say. The biggest change are the BG2 kits and some BG2 spells. No HLAs though; those would have completely broken the game. (The original game had only 2 level 9 spells which were both terrible, so adding a few more high level spells wasn't a bad thing in my opinion.)

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm still disappointed that Baeloth, the hidden drow sorcerer, didn't make it into BG2EE. He would have been the only member of an unrepresented but fun and popular class, and from what little I recall from BG1 he well could have been a fun, sort of comedy relief evil character. He wasn't very fleshed out in 1EE and didn't even have a personal quest, but he certainly could have been in 2 while serving an underserved niche.

Agreed. He was the one EE NPC I really liked using actually, even though I usually play a spellcaster myself.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

I would say definitely yes, the EE is worth it even more so for IWD than BG. BG1 at least you could play with Tutu and have a mostly decent engine, but IWD there's no such thing. So even though IWD can still work fine on modern computers, it looks very old and runs like it too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hunting around all the mod sites is super frustrating, can anyone tell me if there are functional mods for BGEE that do the following:

1) Skip the Candlekeep quests like the dungeon-be-gone mod for BGII?

2) Either open up BG right away or move the NCPs in there to an earlier area? I want a way to spice up the early part of the game.

3) Allow dueling into kits?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hmmm. Imoen just hit level 7.
Should I dual her over to Mage or just let her keep going with level 7 of Thief? I guess I am really asking from the perspective of 1) I kinda don't want a super low level mage for the next bit of the game...however 2) I really want to import this into BG2 and so I imagine I need to dual her soon if not now...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hmmm. Imoen just hit level 7.
Should I dual her over to Mage or just let her keep going with level 7 of Thief? I guess I am really asking from the perspective of 1) I kinda don't want a super low level mage for the next bit of the game...however 2) I really want to import this into BG2 and so I imagine I need to dual her soon if not now...

You only import the PC.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah, she's gonna be dualed no matter what you do. also according to bg2, you used the "canon" party, which is jaheira, khalid, minsc, dynaheir and imoen.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rookersh posted:

You only import the PC.

WELP.
Thanks guys :) She is staying Thief for now then!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

1) Skip the Candlekeep quests like the dungeon-be-gone mod for BGII?
Why bother? Just run straight to Gorion and tell him you're ready to go. You can be out of Candlekeep in less than 30 seconds. There's no need to do any of the quests there.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Candlekeep quests are to orient you and maybe net you a +1 dagger if your reaction is high enough

The experience/gold rewards are never worth it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If this is Ironman, though, make sure you kill Shank and Carbos - just for the possibility of a hilarious not-even-out-of-the-tutorial loss :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jabor posted:

If this is Ironman, though, make sure you kill Shank and Carbos - just for the possibility of a hilarious not-even-out-of-the-tutorial loss :)
That happened to me in one game, when one of them critted my mage PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Jabor posted:

This has happened to me. Twice.