Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sadly it seems like the potential golden get of Cara Ellison won't happen, for a bit it seemed like she was going to settle down and maybe do so in their area, but then moved to Paris. Welp

She would have been perfect for it, too. Dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Speaking of Cara, her top 10 games of 2014 list on the site is super loving good and I really need to start reading more of her stuff.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

The thing is that there are 100% definitely women/non dude bros out there who fit this criteria. It'd be easy to hire one. No one likes working with people they don't like so you don't really have to worry about diversity for diversity's sake. Due to the field being what it is, it might take them a lil more time to diversify but there are enough goofball dumbshit women out there that they could do better without compromising their vibe.

B-b-but what if they turn out to be a fake gamer girl? Then where would we be? Our only choice is clear *pushes All White Dudes Forever button*

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Jabberwocks were excluded for not being able to be snarky enough on Twitter. The claws don't make well for forming concise insults and kneejerk reactions.
Beware the Goobergrape, my son
The maws that gnash, the dox they tweet
Beware the Fedora bird, and hun,
Actually it's about ethics in nonsense verse.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Warbird posted:

Jabberwocks were excluded for not being able to be snarky enough on Twitter. The claws don't make well for forming concise insults and kneejerk reactions.

They gotta get some boojums on that show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

B-b-but what if they turn out to be a fake gamer girl? Then where would we be? Our only choice is clear *pushes All White Dudes Forever button*

When are you guys going to have Kat back on?

I really like that Danielle plays infinitely more games than everyone else on Idle Thumbs. She probably doesn't like the Dew, though. Ugh.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just started listening to the new Abject Suffering and Gary is a national treasure.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I am obsessed with this website that a reader made, taking all our YouTube segment annotations and distilling them down into a database of every Idle Thumbs discussion ever, by game. It was made to create the GOTY By Volume list that we discussed in episode 188 (where the "true goty" is determined by how much it's talked about on a podcast), but it has so many other uses, since you can just drill in by segment, over time.

For instance, here is the complete story of Team Fortress 2 as told through our dumb podcast:

I'm so floored by this drat thing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Can you make YouTube playlists that jump to the next video in the list when a certain timecode is reached in the current video?

If you manage to get this done, my absolute favourite thing would be just stringing together all the "Jake and Danielle talk about Nintendo!!" segments together :swoon:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Phone posted:

I really like that Danielle plays infinitely more games than everyone else on Idle Thumbs. She probably doesn't like the Dew, though. Ugh.

Getting Danielle on as someone who makes a living playing videogames was such a good decision. I understand that they are busy people but Chris giving his opinion about a blog post he read about Shadows of Mordor instead of the actual game was pretty dire.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The whole Far Cry 4 thing was honestly pretty dire as well, until they actually played the game.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pinterest Mom posted:

If you manage to get this done, my absolute favourite thing would be just stringing together all the "Jake and Danielle talk about Nintendo!!" segments together :swoon:
If that's not something that's built in it wouldn't be difficult to do in a greasemonkey script, granted that's less useful for sharing.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

kater posted:

Getting Danielle on as someone who makes a living playing videogames was such a good decision. I understand that they are busy people but Chris giving his opinion about a blog post he read about Shadows of Mordor instead of the actual game was pretty dire.

He did also play it for a while after that. And yeah Idle Thumbs New Years Resolution is to talk less about a game we haven't played.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
No more Klepek at Giant Bomb:

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/550004565920481280

I liked his writing, but it did seem like him shacking up with CAH and calling it "Giant Bomb Chicago" wasn't going to last too long.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I haven't listened in a while, did you guys ever manage to get the Dota podcast up and running?

Also, Klepek is kill. I repeat, Klepek is kill.

I wonder if the new hire will function in the West coast office or move over to GBeast.

Edit- drat my slow proofreading.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Warbird posted:

I wonder if the new hire will function in the West coast office or move over to GBeast.

The position that was posted was for New York, so it'll be a GBeast hire.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm a little disappointed that we won't be getting more new blood for the podcast, but VinCo has been needing to expand.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ja2ke posted:

He did also play it for a while after that. And yeah Idle Thumbs New Years Resolution is to talk less about a game we haven't played.

Have you guys played Space Alert yet? You should play Space Alert. It's really good and you can dig into stuff from a game design perspective -- mainly, the fact that there's an outside timer means the quarterbacking problem* inherent in a lot of cooperative board games is resolved because noone can keep track of everything at once (especially if and when you get into the harder threats and maybe even double action missions from the expansion.) Space Alert is usually the Board Game Thread's #1 recommended co-op game for a reason.

There's a certain messiness that you get with board games because of the physical elements that are hard if not impossible to duplicate onscreen.

* This is when you play a coop game and there's the one dude who tells everyone where to go and what to do to ~maximize efficiency~ and it turns out the game isn't coop at all because it's just him/her playing against the board.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Warbird posted:

I'm a little disappointed that we won't be getting more new blood for the podcast, but VinCo has been needing to expand.

And getting more people in NY is the first step to getting a second podcast. I think it's only a matter of time before we have a regular BEastcast.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

ja2ke posted:

I am obsessed with this website that a reader made, taking all our YouTube segment annotations and distilling them down into a database of every Idle Thumbs discussion ever, by game. It was made to create the GOTY By Volume list that we discussed in episode 188 (where the "true goty" is determined by how much it's talked about on a podcast), but it has so many other uses, since you can just drill in by segment, over time.

This is amazing, and I wish it trawled the previous years to firmly establish Far Cry 2 as game of all time. When you guys put the podcast on indefinite hiatus pre-kickstarter I started compiling every instance of Far Cry 2 chat for a mega-cast (yeah I have a lot of free time) but gave up when the wav file got too big for my computer to open.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don't think I can handle another podcast right now. I'm still working off the GOTY backlog and Lang's stuff hasn't been touched yet. That's not even including the Tested guys and assorted other casts I subscribe to. I need a longer commute.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

I liked his writing, but it did seem like him shacking up with CAH and calling it "Giant Bomb Chicago" wasn't going to last too long.

He hasn't really done a lot since he's moved but I sure do love the idea of the GB family losing one of its younger and more outspoken people who actually had opinions about and liked games, I look forward to a future where Giant Bomb is a 24 hour feed of Jeff complaining, Brad talking about the sublime brilliance of DOTA, Dan receiving his first birds-and-bees talk on air, and Alex somehow being the fifth wheel in a world where Dan exists.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

beef express posted:

This is amazing, and I wish it trawled the previous years to firmly establish Far Cry 2 as game of all time. When you guys put the podcast on indefinite hiatus pre-kickstarter I started compiling every instance of Far Cry 2 chat for a mega-cast (yeah I have a lot of free time) but gave up when the wav file got too big for my computer to open.
You can mess with the range so it does indeed do that, showing Far Cry 2 as second only to SimCity (which had a few episodes expressly devoted to it) as the most talked about game on the cast. It accounted for over two hours of chat spread throughout the entire duration of the show, as it was discussed as early as the third episode :stare:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
God I got so burnt out on Sim City chat over the course of that release/fallout! The way they did the betas allowing people to play for an hour or whatever for a couple weeks before release then it being broken for weeks then it just turned out to be not so good...

I listen to quite a few game podcasts and it dragged on forrrrrevvvver.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Timett posted:

God I got so burnt out on Sim City chat over the course of that release/fallout! The way they did the betas allowing people to play for an hour or whatever for a couple weeks before release then it being broken for weeks then it just turned out to be not so good...

I listen to quite a few game podcasts and it dragged on forrrrrevvvver.

Where were you when Destiny was released? I've never heard so many opinions that amounted to "I know this game is objectively mediocre but I can't stop playing."

Even now with the expansion just released the opinion is dipping below average and people are still talking about it.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

al-azad posted:

Where were you when Destiny was released? I've never heard so many opinions that amounted to "I know this game is objectively mediocre but I can't stop playing."

Even now with the expansion just released the opinion is dipping below average and people are still talking about it.

I'm one of those people, but only because multiplayer is great. Everything about the single player is horrendous and insulting to think it could be accepted as a AAA game. I still play it and look forward to playing it again but I also feel like gamers got kicked in the dick when this game was released.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

EC posted:

I love Patrick and I'll miss everything about him except his incessant injecting of 'social justice' into everything.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Space Alert...

Space Alert owns. It's the most stressed out I get playing a board game and it has a natural tutorial curve assuming you're playing with people who have played before. You start out getting told what to do and avoid the feeling of sinking the game, all the while you can pay attention and learn why your crewmates are doing what they do. Also, the built in ten minutes/game timer is genius.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

BillyBlanks posted:

I love Patrick and I'll miss everything about him except his incessant injecting of 'social justice' into everything.

Is that what he did?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Woffle posted:

Space Alert owns. It's the most stressed out I get playing a board game and it has a natural tutorial curve assuming you're playing with people who have played before. You start out getting told what to do and avoid the feeling of sinking the game, all the while you can pay attention and learn why your crewmates are doing what they do. Also, the built in ten minutes/game timer is genius.

Yeah. It actually comes with one of the better actual tutorials I've seen in a board game -- if you play it by the book, you do like 5 missions of increasing complexity to get the basics down before you try a real mission (and inevitably explode in the darkness of space.) The tutorial book is even pretty funny!

But yeah, the 100% ideal way to learn it is to be the fourth or fifth person on a veteran crew. You just get put on mouse-shaking duty the first game (if you don't do 'computer maintenance' periodically a screensaver turns on and all the lights shut off, delaying everyone on the ship) and by the second one you basically understand everything. The best is when you accidentally move left instead of right on the first turn and end up flailing ineffectually at random buttons for the entire game but still somehow manage to kill everything by sheer coincidence. Or explode in space. You shouldn't really go into a game of Space Alert expecting to win. Especially when you play like we do and take a shot before and after every action phase.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ja2ke posted:

Is that what he did?

Yoshi's Island is a known SJW haven.....

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

When are you guys going to have Kat back on?

Kat was in a handful of episodes we recorded during our last mega-sessions so her guest spots should be coming up soon.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yoshi's Island is a known SJW haven.....

A game about EGGS? Put the pieces together, folks. I smell misandry.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Nintendo needs to have their ovacracy toppled. We call it "Operation: Humpty's Revenge".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Kat was in a handful of episodes we recorded during our last mega-sessions so her guest spots should be coming up soon.

A game about EGGS? Put the pieces together, folks. I smell misandry.

Awesome stuff.

Yoshi's Island has DRUGS and there are Yoshi's of every color and creed. Also something about Yoshi adoption of children being unnatural and wrong. It's Adam and Eve, not Red Yoshi and Blue Yoshi.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Urdnot Fire posted:

You can mess with the range so it does indeed do that, showing Far Cry 2 as second only to SimCity (which had a few episodes expressly devoted to it) as the most talked about game on the cast. It accounted for over two hours of chat spread throughout the entire duration of the show, as it was discussed as early as the third episode :stare:

Oh nice! I set the date ranges as far as they would go and broke something, it seems. Of course there was a lot of Clint Hocking talk during the Confgrenades which would up the stakes. All I know is when I had to finally terminate the Far Cry 2.wav it was sitting at around 6 hours, make of that what you will.

EDIT: The first Far Cry 2 discussion was indeed in episode 3, I think Chris interviewed Clint and/or got a preview play of it.

beef express fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 30, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there a YCS-era goon with a Yoshi fetish? Did he get banned? I need to know which side of #gamergate he's on.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

BillyBlanks posted:

By "injecting social justice into everything" do you mean "occasionally talked about social issues related to gaming"? Because then you'd be correct. And I'm thankful he did.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't have it installed, but I can only dream of "injecting skeletons into everything" and "occasionally talked about skeleton issues related to gaming". :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He hasn't really done a lot since he's moved but I sure do love the idea of the GB family losing one of its younger and more outspoken people who actually had opinions about and liked games, I look forward to a future where Giant Bomb is a 24 hour feed of Jeff complaining, Brad talking about the sublime brilliance of DOTA, Dan receiving his first birds-and-bees talk on air, and Alex somehow being the fifth wheel in a world where Dan exists.
Hahahahaha you are just so bitter and adorable

ja2ke posted:

Is that what he did?
Yeah. He had a weekly video series where he would challenge Males Rights Advocates to an American Gladiators Joust battle. He was the true Social Justice Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Phone posted:

I don't have it installed, but I can only dream of "injecting skeletons into everything" and "occasionally talked about skeleton issues related to gaming". :allears:

This is a good post.

• Locked thread