Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm wondering if there's a siphon whipper out there that will accept both nitrous and CO2 chargers, or if I'd have to buy a nitrous whipper and a soda siphon separately. The guy at the store said that the iSi model they had there would only take nitrous chargers because of some safety mechanism thing.

I wanna make kiwi flavored watermelons and then carbonate them.

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

First thing that came to mind was this salad spinner.

Thanks! I'll play around with this!

Keg posted:

I'm wondering if there's a siphon whipper out there that will accept both nitrous and CO2 chargers, or if I'd have to buy a nitrous whipper and a soda siphon separately. The guy at the store said that the iSi model they had there would only take nitrous chargers because of some safety mechanism thing.

I wanna make kiwi flavored watermelons and then carbonate them.

You absolutely can use both in your iSi. I use these CO2 ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00304SLAO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Anne Whateley posted:

It could be because I'm a dummy who learned wrong, but for a lot of everyday stuff -- vegetables, chicken, whatever -- I use a biggish paring knife rather than a full chef's knife. I can do it with a chef's knife (and I'm trying to get those skills up too), it just feels defter with the smaller blade. I'm 5'9", but I have medium-small hands (for a woman). I have all Wusthofs if that makes any difference.

Use what's comfortable for you. You can use a chef's knife for most things, but if I'm just doing a small task or three with some small stuff I'll usually reach for my petty knife instead. I did it the other day when all I needed to cut was a couple zucchini.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Th-

That's what she said.

I don't really use the chef knife for tip-slicing, I use the fillet knife Mr. Lasers for that. Forgot to include him in the count, but he's really only used for fish and fine slicey stuff. Before you ask, I have no idea what brand he is, he's just old as balls and sharp as gently caress, but a really good bite so I'm not really too scared of using him. I love you, Mr. Lasers. Anyhoo, the Santoku's only a 7.5, and my go-to for all things slicey, the chef I use for hacking the gently caress out of things (in a respectful and delicate way to preserve the edge), and having a giant-rear end knife is pretty fun. I'll keep the 8.5 chef in mind though, as I suffer from tiny hands. But I hate paring knives. Unless I'm doing something super delicate, I've got the Santoku in hand. But I'm also probably doing it wrong, being self-taught. I dunno. I always seem to cut myself with paring knives.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 30, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't really use the chef knife for tip-slicing, I use the fillet knife Mr. Lasers for that. Forgot to include him in the count, but he's really only used for fish and fine slicey stuff. Before you ask, I have no idea what brand he is, he's just old as balls and sharp as gently caress, but a really good bite so I'm not really too scared of using him. I love you, Mr. Lasers. Anyhoo, the Santoku's only a 7.5, and my go-to for all things slicey, the chef I use for hacking the gently caress out of things (in a respectful and delicate way to preserve the edge), and having a giant-rear end knife is pretty fun. I'll keep the 8.5 chef in mind though, as I suffer from tiny hands. But I hate paring knives. Unless I'm doing something super delicate, I've got the Santoku in hand. But I'm also probably doing it wrong, being self-taught. I dunno. I always seem to cut myself with paring knives.

Clearly I need to name my knives.

And if you're concerned you're doing stuff wrong, there is an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown goes over knifework. It's kinda basic, but it was helpful in cleaning up my technique a little.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

there are a lot of youtube vids, too. Chris Cosentino for instance has a series of techniques where he demos and shills for Shun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HVQEfWLoA

he is better about wiping down his blade, too, which is a good habit to get into if you ever make the jump to carbons.

and just general fun hypnotic knife work like itasan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAJBr9tYfSY

some nerds even video their workplace prep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkj-ZB6JPhE

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 30, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Very Strange Things posted:

I'm transitioning too. I did one more this Thanksgiving though; the wife's family's only great turkey ever was mine from two years ago, so they insisted I do it exactly the same. It does make a great turkey, but my personal best has been a dry "brine" combined with a few injections of herbed butter.

We JUST did a dry brine with pepper. It came out insane and cooked so quickly. The hardest part was cutting out the spine for spatchcocking because I didn't "get" how the scissors worked until I was nearly done the second side.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

there are a lot of youtube vids, too. Chris Cosentino for instance has a series of techniques where he demos and shills for Shun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HVQEfWLoA

he is better about wiping down his blade, too, which is a good habit to get into if you ever make the jump to carbons.

and just general fun hypnotic knife work like itasan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAJBr9tYfSY

some nerds even video their workplace prep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkj-ZB6JPhE

These are good thanks.

I watched Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver both on some youtube videos of knifework tutorials. Decent enough as well IMO.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If I cook a ham in the oven, can I also toss in some potatoes and carrots and stuff like one can with a turkey? Or does that turn out gross?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Bought the wife a kitchen-aid for Christmas and I'm looking to buy a good baking book for her. I don't want a book with just recipes, I'm looking for something more instructional. Any suggestions?

Trasal
Nov 11, 2014
I recently got my hands on a few processed quail for Christmas after their hunting trip. I have both bits of breast and full, cleaned up quail.
Any suggestions on the best manner in which to cook them? Almost everything online is "Throw it in a pan, take it out, eat it." I was hoping for something a bit more special, since quail isn't exactly common here.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

QuarkMartial posted:

If I cook a ham in the oven, can I also toss in some potatoes and carrots and stuff like one can with a turkey? Or does that turn out gross?

What kind of ham? Warning, If it's one of those wet packed spiral cut heat n eats, they give off a ton of liquid that might drown the veg. That liquid is best used for pea soup. Dryer hams would have less of a problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

vulturesrow posted:

Bought the wife a kitchen-aid for Christmas and I'm looking to buy a good baking book for her. I don't want a book with just recipes, I'm looking for something more instructional. Any suggestions?

I really like the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion for this. It has recipes for most of what you'd think of, and it has a lot of sidebars and notes and whatnot about why and how you do things. Note that the KAF website also has a lot of recipes, but the recipes for the same thing tend to be a bit different. We made gingerbread this week, and the cook recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp apiece of allspice and cloves, whereas the recipe on their website calls for 1/4 tsp of one or the other, and it's definitely not a 1/6th or 1/12th recipe.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

The Bouchon Bakery book also has a lot of information on why you do things a certain way in the recipes.
It also covers a wide range of baked goods, breads, cookies, cakes etc...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QuarkMartial posted:

They would be salty as gently caress. I've never, ever had to salt ham gravy but with a pork roast, beef roast, or bird I always do.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What's everyone's favorite cheap canned tomatoes brand? I'm using muir Glen for everything right now, but I'd like to save some money on weekday meals. I mostly use them in beans/lentils and soups/stews.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Whatever is at Costco has always satisfied my canned tomato needs.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Whatever is at Costco has always satisfied my canned tomato needs.

No costco's by me, unfortunately. I'm not looking for amazing tomatoes or anything, just a general idea of which cheaper brands are okay and which ones are gross.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What's everyone's favorite cheap canned tomatoes brand? I'm using muir Glen for everything right now, but I'd like to save some money on weekday meals. I mostly use them in beans/lentils and soups/stews.

I usually shoot for Cento. Red Pack is okay.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I shop at Giant and Wegmans and their store brand tomatoes are just fine, never really had a problem with any of them.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I saw this awesome looking french toast thing and decided I wanted to make it but there's no recipe and my google skills have failed me. There is a picture of the ingredients so a lot of it was solvable but I'm still stumped on a couple things.

1. How much and what ratio milk and cream is being use?. 1 cup seems the most likely considering all the custardy stuff is being injected into an 8 inch loaf of brioche so more than a cup seems crazy but no real idea on the milk to cream mix. Half and half?

2. The ingredients picture has a nutmeg... seed? In it but it isn't mentioned anywhere. I'm guessing I grate some of it either into the custard or the bananas foster?

3. I've never made bananas foster before and these pictures are no help. Googling other recipes I would make a wild guess of 4 tbsp butter, 1 cup of dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 or 3 bananas. Not using rum, and no idea when I would add the touch of cream.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, I'd like to make a banana nut bread, but I don't really care for pecans or walnuts. Any other nut that would work? I really like cashews.

Maybe roasted unsalted almonds?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Hey, I'd like to make a banana nut bread, but I don't really care for pecans or walnuts. Any other nut that would work? I really like cashews.

Maybe roasted unsalted almonds?

Honey roasted peanuts would own bones.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

For crushed tomatoes I like Dei Fratelli. Diced, Red Gold. Ground (and for the best pizza sauce ever, straight from the can) 6-in-1 brand made by Escalon. I'd recommend a whole tomato brand if I've found a consistent one I like (that is also relatively inexpensive), but I haven't found one yet. Cento is good, but expensive.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Failboattootoot posted:

I saw this awesome looking french toast thing and decided I wanted to make it but there's no recipe and my google skills have failed me. There is a picture of the ingredients so a lot of it was solvable but I'm still stumped on a couple things.

1. How much and what ratio milk and cream is being use?. 1 cup seems the most likely considering all the custardy stuff is being injected into an 8 inch loaf of brioche so more than a cup seems crazy but no real idea on the milk to cream mix. Half and half?

2. The ingredients picture has a nutmeg... seed? In it but it isn't mentioned anywhere. I'm guessing I grate some of it either into the custard or the bananas foster?

3. I've never made bananas foster before and these pictures are no help. Googling other recipes I would make a wild guess of 4 tbsp butter, 1 cup of dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 or 3 bananas. Not using rum, and no idea when I would add the touch of cream.

I just use half and half in my French toast. 1 cup half and half, 3 eggs, couple of tablespoons of honey, goodly shot of vanilla, and a pinch of salt for 8ish pieces of bread. No idea how much you'd need for that roast thing.

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Use the cheapest canned Italian plum tomatoes, they are a excellent product in abundance so sell cheap, the high price cans are usually the same quality as the low price at least in Europe.
I always use whole plum tomatoes as if you use chopped the seeds can make whatever you are making more bitter and you will need to add more sugar, use whole and mash them up near then end of the cooking proses.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Is there an app/program that will handle both my recipes i've found online, and the stuff that I come up with myself from mashing together other recipes? I just need a place to put stuff so I don't forget, and my handwriting sucks.

I'm sure there's many apps that do this, but some have different specializations and I'm more curious what other folks are using.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Is there an app/program that will handle both my recipes i've found online, and the stuff that I come up with myself from mashing together other recipes? I just need a place to put stuff so I don't forget, and my handwriting sucks.

I'm sure there's many apps that do this, but some have different specializations and I'm more curious what other folks are using.

I use Evernote

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
For New Year's Eve tomorrow I am hosting a dinner party focusing on alpine style cheese fondue, grilled raclette and hot oil fondue. I have prepared the main ingredients for each (cheeses, infused oil etc.) but want to find synergies for the dipping materials and sides.

The standard route is breads (sour dough is my plan), new potatoes and pickles for the raclette and cheese fondue; and meat cuts suited for frying for the hot oil (I have bought pigs cheek and beef fillet).

Has anyone got any recommendations for other sides/dipping materials that I could use?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Cooked a ham. I've got a bone and some fat chunks left over. Anything special I need to do to them to keep them over the next couple of days? I plan to put the bone in my black eyed peas and use some of the fat to cook my collard greens on New Year's. I can just toss the fat in the pan to melt it down before cooking my greens, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Failboattootoot posted:

You can monkey around with milk and cream and heavy cream and crème fraîche and gently caress knows what all else but you really don't have to. You can just use plain old milk and you're serving to some folks with some serious princess and the pea poo poo going on with their taste buds if they can tell the difference in the final product.

I figure around 1 egg per 50 ml or so of milk. How much is one egg? Depends on your eggs. Point being that unless you're weighing them or something, there's going to be variability. So I mostly just eyeball it. The custard wants to be eggy---which is why the amount of milk fat in the dairy isn't super important.

As for ratio of custard to bread? gently caress if I know. When I'm doing pain perdu I'm just dunking the bread in the custard until it's nice and saturated then dunking the next slice. Each slice takes what it wants, and if I run out of custard I just knock together some more. And then I'm eventually out of bread. I assume you can do the same thing if you're giving a shaved loaf of brioche an enema.

And yeah, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla are the holy trinity in most old-school pain perdu recipes. Listed in order of increasing quantity---just a pinch of nutmeg for somewhere around a cup of milk, like half a tsp ground cinnamon (or like 1/2" of cinnamon stick) and a tsp or so vanilla (assuming extract). But that's all just estimation, you don't have to loving measure it.

And for the record, I Don't Get It. The recipe says something about pain perdu `normally' just being an egg wash but where the gently caress has this poor son of a bitch been getting his eggy bread that it's just a wash? The whole gimmick is that you hack off thick slices of stale brioche and soak them so you get a contrast between the custardy centre and the browned exterior. Like that's bullet item number one on the Perdu Chamber of Commerce information flier on their legendary motherfucking pain. It's the reason why you're there in the first place. As much as a dish can have a point, that's the point. And it seems like doing it like a giant squishy dong fucks that up, so you're basically just doing a big bread pudding. Which I mean is fine if you like bread pudding. Or squishy dongs. But it doesn't seem like a clever way of doing pain perdu so much as a way of not doing pain perdu at all.

But whatever. Making poo poo way the gently caress more complicated than it needs to be is pretty much the new hotness in contemporary cuisine. So never let it be said that I stood between anyone and their eggy dongs.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Cooked a ham. I've got a bone and some fat chunks left over. Anything special I need to do to them to keep them over the next couple of days? I plan to put the bone in my black eyed peas and use some of the fat to cook my collard greens on New Year's. I can just toss the fat in the pan to melt it down before cooking my greens, right?

should be fine for a couple of days in the fridge. if you're really worried throw it in the freezer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

But whatever. Making poo poo way the gently caress more complicated than it needs to be is pretty much the new hotness in contemporary cuisine. So never let it be said that I stood between anyone and their eggy dongs.

I appreciated this post :newlol:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hed posted:

I want to talk about green salads.

Here's my go-to salad:
  • Greens - definitely spinach for me; I'll buy enough to last the week and keep it in the fridge (it keeps)
  • Protein - this is probably the weakest part on mine, but I typically just use chopped up thin-slice ham or turkey, though I'll substitute for *the real deal* if I have leftovers
  • Crunch - red onions and walnuts; I also use black grapes and black olives, which could go in this category
  • Cheese - personally I love a good shredded Colby jack cheese for a salad
  • Dressing - I'm a babby who needs his dressing, and I prefer a raspberry vinaigrette

This is great as a lunch and is easy to make the night before work and just mix in the dressing right before I eat.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how long does mashed cooked sweet potato with nothing added stay good in the fridge for?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bowmore posted:

how long does mashed cooked sweet potato with nothing added stay good in the fridge for?

Seems to keep pretty well, I'd say a week?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Seems to keep pretty well, I'd say a week?

I agree.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I got chicken feet. Should I go with my gut and use the Serious Eats recipe ( Here ) Or can someone recommend another tasty recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Clavietika posted:

I got chicken feet. Should I go with my gut and use the Serious Eats recipe ( Here ) Or can someone recommend another tasty recipe?

that one looks really pale to me, doesn't look like there's anything spicy in the recipe either which is hella weird. Chicken feet usually has doubanjiang in the sauce so maybe replace or halve the black beans with doubanjiang?

edit: the texture doesn't look quite right either. I haven't made them myself so I can't say for sure but usually the skin is more puffy so as to absorb the sauce better and that doesn't look very puffy. since they tried to deep fry before braising, I wonder if it's better to braise, chill, then deep fry like you would crispy pata, then steam in sauce in a dish like you would get at dim sum.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 31, 2014