Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ghost Hand posted:

How is the drop pod to assemble?

The drop pod body and tendrils is fine. The only part that is a huge, huge pain is the carapace vents for the five exterior carapace pieces that are very small and must be assembled from two pieces and then glued onto the main piece. It's not that it's poorly designed (it's a giant monster that sits stably on four gangly tendrils, which is a design marvel) but that there's a few aspects that are annoying to get together, especially if you have relatively large hands.

The most annoying aspect of the kit is that the Mucolid spore is impossible to assemble if you also assemble the Tyrannocyte transport (you have to use the same "base" tendrils for either), which means you're either making tendrils yourself or buying them online for anywhere from $20-30 which is ludicrous. Considering their pushing the models as a Troop choice in their expansion, it's either a dumb oversight or an insane money grab. Either way, annoying.

Ghost Hand posted:

Sorry - who is Doc Thunder?

Award-winning miniature modeller!

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ghost Hand posted:

Excellent use of Kanban Board :P

The inexplicably two-part funnels are irritating, and there are a lot of pieces that need clipping from the sprue, but the rest isn't bad. The model is basically the same components copy-pasted five times... as soon as you've done one set you can do the rest.

PierreTheMime posted:

The most annoying aspect of the kit is that the Mucolid spore is impossible to assemble if you also assemble the Tyrannocyte transport (you have to use the same "base" tendrils for either), which means you're either making tendrils yourself or buying them online for anywhere from $20-30 which is ludicrous. Considering their pushing the models as a Troop choice in their expansion, it's either a dumb oversight or an insane money grab. Either way, annoying.

This isn't mine, but it's a neat idea to make the most of out the kit:

I guess you could take a similar approach using those weird little jellyfish things from the Genestealer kit too.

Personally I used the proper tentacles for the Mucolids, and mounted the Tyrannocytes on smaller ones and/or flying bases. Not sure how kosher it would be for tournaments etc, but I only ever play casual games anyway and it makes transporting the things a hell of a lot simpler.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I have discovered a new hell. Assembling the vent pieces of the Tyrannocyte is Ghost Ark levels of assembly agony. I really hope I only ever get one of these. :(

I just started building the first of three last night. After an hour I walked away from it. So many fiddly little bits.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Here is some old school vs new school warhams. Apocalypse using the house rules (write each unit you have down on a card, which gets shuffled into a deck along with everyone else's units. The unit goes when its card is drawn), 4000pts each. My dad and I went expecting other people, but everyone else flaked so I suggested we do something different.

On an Imperial world threatened by Tyranid invasion, a small team of Tau have been deployed to scout and make contact with the defenders ahead of the main Tau fleet which is taking advantage of the Tyranid's disruption of Imperial space travel and communications to swoop in and save the day. However when the Tau arrive they have strange readings on their sensors and the world seems devoid of life already. What the Dirty Dozen and their Pathfinder Pals found in the depths of this forsaken world is far more terrible than a mere Tyranid Splinter fleet...

Here is the leader of the Dirty Dozen - they have discovered an abandoned Stormlord and decided to steal it and drive it back to the planned Tau landing zone for extraction with the recommendation of "Cleanse it with plasma fire."

Charging forward through a deserted world: Shas'O Ramb, Commander Red and Kroot'Au, my counts-as Darkstrider and leader of the Pathfinder Pals. The Dirty Dozen are a squad of 12 Cadre Fireblades, joined by Darkstrider and his Pathfinder Pals along with the TX-42 Mcguffin Recon Drone.

The goal is to cross The Longest Bridge and link up with Tau forces for extraction, while the Recon Drone uploads/processes the data from its scans on the planet's interior:

Of course, the natives are taking exception to that. It seems the Dirty Dozen and the Pathfinder Pals have gained the ire of the Nomidnamen Dynasty, as we kind of stumbled into their Tombs and started taking pictures. Here is my dad's scratch built Pylon and his Necrons which are taking aim at the Dirty Dozen:

First Turn I drop in an Area Denial Network from altitude to try and give some covering fire:

But things don't look good for the Dirty Dozen...

Hmmm... wait, what's that sound?

The Pylon takes aim at the Stolen Nemesis:

Uhhh guys?

"Hey I wonder what's going on-" "Just drive, faster faster faster..."

Wraithlord and friends try to stop the Dirty Dozen. But it's a squad of 12 fireblades, so I fired 144 BS5 pulse shots and it went about as well as you'd expect. But the Necrons finally destroy the big tank as well...

However, the McGuffin Drone survives and the Lord is dead. The Tau fleet in orbit has processed the data and start making precision lance strikes on the Tomb World, disrupting the advanced "bigger on the inside" fields and making the planet vent its mass into space. The rest of the game was played in increasingly low gravity as more and more of the planet was vented into space.

The first armored elements of the rescue force begin to arrive:

Target Acquired / Target Destroyed

But ultimately, Shas'O Ramb was the last member of the Dirty Dozen, and he died facing a full squad of Deathmark assassins.

The game ends with a decisive Necron victory. Although we did great damage to the Tomb World, the Necrons destroyed the Dirty Dozen before the full secrets of the Recon Drone could be examined and utilized against the awakening dynasty. The Tau evacuate the rescue force and retreat from the planet, preparing to face a great and furious foe. Of course, the Necrons have another challenge ahead...

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

Excellent use of Kanban Board :P

The drop pod is a nightmare only eclipsed by the Ghost Ark.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The CSM Chosen in DV aren't a multi-part kit, right? They're just snap-fit?

What's a good source of similar looking stuff? I want to work on some Crimson Slaughter stuff, but I'd really hate to have sweet looking elite troops and then...the loving Chaos Space Marine kit.

You are basically stuck with buying the warptalon/raptors kit and adding normal arms and backpacks or converting the snap fit models basically.

Ghost Hand posted:

Sorry - who is Doc Thunder?

Doc Thunder is the dude on Warseer or sometrhint that would model tits on his marines and vehemently defend them saying he was a feminist basically. The new FW dread looks like it has some big arse norks under that ceramite but my post was on the next page and it lost context.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PierreTheMime posted:

The drop pod body and tendrils is fine. The only part that is a huge, huge pain is the carapace vents for the five exterior carapace pieces that are very small and must be assembled from two pieces and then glued onto the main piece. It's not that it's poorly designed (it's a giant monster that sits stably on four gangly tendrils, which is a design marvel) but that there's a few aspects that are annoying to get together, especially if you have relatively large hands.

Award-winning miniature modeller!

bwahahahaah - ok that's pretty funny.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I didn't think the vents were that bad, but I use a gel based superglue that is really easy to apply and limit how much goes on, so there was just a hint of it on the vents themselves. Most of it went onto the carapace/vent join point. Getting them to go on aligned in one direction was a bit of a challenge... I swear that most of the model looks lopsided unless you're looking at a section head on. I guess it just sits at a really bad angle on my desk from my standing height.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

panascope posted:

The drop pod is a nightmare only eclipsed by the Ghost Ark.

I was afraid you were going to say that...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone needs to come in with

:ghost: 2nd edition metal landspeeder :ghost:

because I've never had one, so I can't

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Went to go pick up some new paints for my Tyranid Monstrous Creature painting party and found that my local game store is selling everything at 30%. They have three copies of Deathstorm in stock. Really quite tempted to pick up all three and resell them for mad monies and get paid to get Tyranid Warrior models.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

Mine was fragile when I built it, and no joke, the first time I had it in public some fat idiot jams his stupid finger down the center part and breaks the turbine off. I have no idea why he did it and he refused to fix it. I hope he's homeless.

edit:

Here's the first vehicle I ever weathered, which I did last week. I really like it, it looks super grimy and awesome.

panascope fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 30, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Went to go pick up some new paints for my Tyranid Monstrous Creature painting party and found that my local game store is selling everything at 30%. They have three copies of Deathstorm in stock. Really quite tempted to pick up all three and resell them for mad monies and get paid to get Tyranid Warrior models.

I discovered a while ago that our local toy store, which had begun selling Warhammer again, had one of the Fantasy End Time books available and I honestly toyed with the thought of buying that for reselling purposes. But then I felt really scummy for thinking that.

In more 40k related news I'm finally making headway with my Inquisitor. :woop: Using the standard Scion paint scheme worked unexpectedly well and I've yet to have the urge to chuck it in Simple Green.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 30, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

Someone needs to come in with

:ghost: 2nd edition metal landspeeder :ghost:

because I've never had one, so I can't
I assembled one a while ago. It was just a mess of superglue and green stuff in a mess of pseudo-welding. It weighs like a pound and a half, and the flying base it used to come on had a base like 25mm in diameter. I have no idea how it would stand up without falling over and endlessly breaking and chipping. I have another idea how to mount it, but I'm not exactly jonesing to paint it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

edit: Nevermind, found them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ProfessorCurly posted:

Awesome poo poo

You and your dad know how to ham.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

You and your dad know how to ham.
It does my hammy heart good to see warhams playing with dadhams.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

So with a late Christmas present

How hard is the Dimachaeron to build? Since were on the topic of building nids.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Greyish Orange posted:

So with a late Christmas present

How hard is the Dimachaeron to build? Since were on the topic of building nids.

Pretty easy. The chest is the worse part, but just dry fit and you will have it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

Honestly it's not that bad. At all. Not even close.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I bring you fire

NTRabbit posted:

:tfrxmas: OATH COMPLETE :tfrxmas:

A whole day early! Planning to drink heavily on NYE is good incentive to get things done. Brace yourselves

First up, the Firestorm

and yes it's a real Forgeworld kit

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Do we know when/what the Necron release will be?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Do we know when/what the Necron release will be?

Current rumours say mid-late Jan, with just a plastic character or two in the way of new models. A bunch of stuff will likely be re-boxed with the new bases too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
With the rumors of the next clash box being Necrons and Eldar and it falling around the time of the Harlequin release I wonder if it actually be Harlequin/Necron instead.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man I wish that forgeworld sold the stonecrusher kits by themselves. I got two carnifexes from deathstorms and don't want to buy two more just for some hands and poo poo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

Man I wish that forgeworld sold the stonecrusher kits by themselves. I got two carnifexes from deathstorms and don't want to buy two more just for some hands and poo poo.

I've magnetized all the Carnifexes I have and will be making stonecrusher arms for a couple, should be somewhat easy with paperclip armatures, Green Stuff or miliput tentacles and a ball of the same for the stone end.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The CSM Chosen in DV aren't a multi-part kit, right? They're just snap-fit?

What's a good source of similar looking stuff? I want to work on some Crimson Slaughter stuff, but I'd really hate to have sweet looking elite troops and then...the loving Chaos Space Marine kit.

If you don't mind third-party (not recasts) look at Evilcraft. They're seriously looking really good, thought I haven't bought any yet.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

If you don't mind third-party (not recasts) look at Evilcraft. They're seriously looking really good, thought I haven't bought any yet.

oh man those autocannon havocs are boss.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why are all the miniature companies in Europe. I've never understood that. Also, a Eldar vs. Necron campaign would be really interesting, but I don't think it's going to happen at all. Eldar and Necron books being redone would be a possibility.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 31, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

Why are all the miniature companies in Europe. I've never understood that. Also, a Eldar vs. Necron campaign would be really interesting, but I don't think it's going to happen at all. Eldar and Necron books being redone would be a possibility.

There is probably zero chance of there being a campaign that doesn't involve space marines. See also: Apocalypse, which has a single book that isn't marines vs. X

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Why are all the miniature companies in Europe.

What the gently caress are you talking about? PP? I'm sure Reaper is in the US? Victoria Lamb in AUS?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There are way more European miniature companies than there are in the US. I think it's because miniature wargaming kind of started there?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

oh man those autocannon havocs are boss.

The havocs are probably the thing I'd be least likely to buy from them since it's goddamn $20 a fig. $20+ per fig is acceptable from a small maker when it's like a terminator sized character model, like Scibor does. Putting that price a single power armor squad model is just taking the piss.

Their bolter/close combat squads are $10/model which is much better considering how lovely the sculpts are, though I still wouldn't use them for an entire army.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Any DC/NOVA/MD goons want to play some 40k tomorrow? I don't have to be at work for more than 5 minutes and I don't really have anything to do until nighttime.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Cataphract posted:

Haruspex arms (from a bit seller) + Carnifex Crushing claw arms + Mace Tail biomorph bit can make a "good enough" Stonecrusher Carnifex. Don't know what to do about the battering ram shell part or the wrecking ball thing though.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 31, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Esser-Z posted:

If we're listing our orks,

Oddly I just counted up my orks just this very night at the request of a friend.

Ghazghkull Thraka
Boss Snikrot (Converted Nob)
Mek Boss Buzzgob (FW)
Mad Dok Grotsnik
War Boss 6
Mega Nobz 8
Nobz 34
Pain Boy w Grot Orderly
Big Mek
2nd Edition Boys 20
Boyz 187+
Gretchen 20
2nd Edition Gretchen 40
Gretchen Crew (FW) 10
Trukk 3
Battle Wagon 2
Boom Wagon (Looted Leman Russ)
Ork Bomma Jet (1 kit, 1 Looted Valkyrie) 2
War Bikes 17
Deff Kopta 9
War Buggy (1 kit, 3 looted SM Speeders) 4
Grot Tanks (FW) 4
Deff Dread (1Kit, 1 looted SM Dreadnaught) 2
Killa Kans 12
Big Guns (Looted Imperial Guns) 4
Tank Busters 10
Kommandos 10
Burna Boyz 15
Storm Boyz 20
Lootas 15

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my 2nd ed meganobz. They're just so tiny compared to even 3rd ed meganobz, let alone the new ones.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my 2nd ed meganobz. They're just so tiny compared to even 3rd ed meganobz, let alone the new ones.

Cyborks

E: just send them to me. Do you have nazdreg?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

SRM posted:

The next one has those Katyusha-esque rockets on the back!

It's supposed to be driving over snow, so there's some snow stuck in and around the treads. The snow is a lot less bright now that it's dried, and it looks more like the treads on my other vehicles.

Thanks! While a lot of folks complained about the Taurox when it came out, I thought the dinky treads would look good for a snowfaring vehicle. If I was painting it in a different scheme, I'd probably get some of the conversion wheels that folks keep putting out. And that official baby blue scheme sure is silly. I think if they debuted the Taurox in even the standard Cadian green it would have gone over way better.

I'm disappointed in you SRM, I expected berets, or at least vac-suit stormtroopers. YOU HAVE TURNED YOUR BACK ON YOUR HERITAGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Just finished painting the carnifex from the deathstorm box. After painting 99% eldar over the past several years, it was an absolute joy to work on.

bonus pic w/ his armless bros

Thanks SRM for the snow tips. I used your method but used baking soda instead of snow flock!

• Locked thread