Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Did anyone else notice Larry Foote's helmet last night? Maybe I never noticed because so few teams wear the all whites, but his helmet looks... different. Is there something special about it as far as anyone knows? I googled around and no one else has mentioned this that I could find. @HelmetStalker said Foote was using a Revo Speed this season, but that is definitely not a Revo Speed (according to the pictures I've been looking at). So wtf?

edit

Found it. Riddell Speedflex. Apparently that weird looking cutout is supposed to give and flex a bit to help reduce trauma from a collision, awesome. Hopefully improvements like this can help make a real difference to their longevity.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Chichevache posted:

Did anyone else notice Larry Foote's helmet last night? Maybe I never noticed because so few teams wear the all whites, but his helmet looks... different. Is there something special about it as far as anyone knows? I googled around and no one else has mentioned this that I could find. @HelmetStalker said Foote was using a Revo Speed this season, but that is definitely not a Revo Speed (according to the pictures I've been looking at). So wtf?

edit

Found it. Riddell Speedflex. Apparently that weird looking cutout is supposed to give and flex a bit to help reduce trauma from a collision, awesome. Hopefully improvements like this can help make a real difference to their longevity.

Yeah they are new this year, and I've seen multiple players in college and the pros wearing them. Hopefully they help.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can someone clarify the '30 second timeout' rule or whatever? When did the NFL go to using 30 second timeouts instead of regular full time outs, and when the hell has that mattered because the TV crew has a red hat ref that stands at midfield during a media timeout so 30 or full doesn't matter, it's when the red hat leaves.

gently caress the red hat guy who isn't even a real ref.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
All time outs are 30 second time outs, and have been as far back as I can remember.

I hate the red hat guy as much as you, but sadly the TV networks pay the NFL billions of dollars to televise the games, so when they want a longer timeout, they get it.
The 30 seconds for the timeout only matters when the network decides to not go to commercial.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ChocolatePancake posted:

All time outs are 30 second time outs, and have been as far back as I can remember.

I hate the red hat guy as much as you, but sadly the TV networks pay the NFL billions of dollars to televise the games, so when they want a longer timeout, they get it.
The 30 seconds for the timeout only matters when the network decides to not go to commercial.
Thanks. I guess I was used to basketball time outs where there is a choice. In high school there was no red hat guy so every time out was just a time out, there was no clarification of "ok we're not going to commercial it's a 30 second time out". I hear it more on the radio and it's been bugging me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If a quarterback is left-handed, does the RT become more valuable/important, and if so, how does the team plan around that? Could a good LT move over there without much of a learning period, and if so, would you want them to?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What's the fewest wins a team needs to make the playoffs in any possible scenario, not just this year? 4?

I guess I'm also asking the minimum number of wins to win the nfc south for the next few years.

What if a team miraculously went 0-0-16?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Cole posted:

What's the fewest wins a team needs to make the playoffs in any possible scenario, not just this year? 4?

I guess I'm also asking the minimum number of wins to win the nfc south for the next few years.

If an entire division went 3-13, someone would have to go.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Well, theoretically all the division games could be ties, so you could have a team go in at 0-10-6, but the NFL counts ties as half of a win, so that would still technically be 3 wins I guess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cole posted:

Jon Bois has you covered.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/12/11/7353101/breaking-madden-nfc-south-playoffs

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Can any body explain salary cap info for me? I was going to ask in the offseason improvement thread, but I felt this was probably a better spot to ask. Specifically, what do all the columns on this page mean?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Can any body explain salary cap info for me? I was going to ask in the offseason improvement thread, but I felt this was probably a better spot to ask. Specifically, what do all the columns on this page mean?

Each team every season is given a certain limit to how much money they can spend on their entire roster.

The majority of that spending comes on salaries for the roster.

That first section labeled "Contract Salaries" shows how much money each player costs the team, and is split by what aspects of the player's contract leads to which amount of money.

The average player salary is split between "guaranteed money" that goes to the player no matter what, and money the player only gets if they are on the roster. Prorated is the guaranteed money. Roster is the money they get for making the team. The second section "Dead Money and Cap Savings" shows how much money they would free up by cutting a player, and how much money they would have to pay even if they cut him.

The dead money section shows what amount of money the team is spending on players who are not actively a part of the team itself.

EDIT: VV What he said VV

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 30, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Oh boy

Base salary - The salary a player gets for each week of the regular season. Each week during the season, a player gets 1/17th (counting the bye week) of that number. When people talk about cutting a player for salary cap space, this money is what they're talking about. (Salary rules are a labyrinthian mess of exceptions and weird rules). The primary caveat is that if a veteran (I believe requiring 4 years experience) is on the roster when a season starts, has his entire base salary guaranteed if cut, once in his career.

Bonuses:

Prorated - Since Base salary isn't guaranteed, players push to get as large of a signing bonus as possible, since that is guaranteed money and is paid out when the player signs the contract. The cap hit from the signing bonus is spread over the first five years of a contract (again with caveats). So if a player signs a 5 year contract with a $20m signing bonus, each year counts $4m to the salary cap. This is why teams sign players to 5 year deals that they have no hope of ever reaching the end of, simply to spread the signing bonus out further.

Roster - Money that becomes guaranteed if the player is on that team's roster that year (usually set to be March 1st, or June 1st for accounting reasons). This forces teams to decide whether to cut guys at certain times or is used when you're unsure if a guy is really worth it and also to manage salary cap hits of players. The main trick they're used for is to get guys under the cap in the short term, then a year or two later when the roster bonus comes do, you convert it into another signing bonus, which spreads the cap hit over the next up to 5 years of the contract.

Workout - Money the player gets for attending offseason workouts. Just used by teams so players attend those 'voluntary' training sessions.

Other - Assorted other bonuses. Like say, money you only get if active for each game, or for playing say 50% of their unit's snaps or hitting incentives that are considered likely to be earned (the rules here are crazy, but like, say JJ Watt had one that gave him $100k for hitting 5 sacks, vs say, a punter having a $100k one if he wins super bowl MVP which would be considered unlikely and aren't considered here).

Dead money:
Left column: How much guaranteed money is left on a player's deal. If they're cut, all of that is accelerated to this year's cap if done before June 1st.
Right column: The difference between the dead money cap hit and the player's cap number for this season. Numbers in ( ) means negative, ie, it costs more cap space to cut them then keep them (see: Jay cutler)
However, if you hold a player until after June 1st, you can split the dead money hit over the next two seasons.

Okay, so with that out of the way, there's some other things to worry about. Some players have special clauses in their contract, like Tom Brady until yesterday. He had a special clause that would've kicked in and made his base salary guaranteed for the next 3 years of his deal. But he just removed that in favor of a $1m per year pay raise. So even looking at these sites, you still generally need some team reporter to actually explain wtf is going on when a team makes a weird move. Some contracts also guarantee the early years of the base salary to push that "with $Xm in guaranteed money!" number up. This also ignores Option bonuses which are designated as either Team OR Player options, and if player options are considered guaranteed money. Option bonuses once picked up, are then prorated like signing bonuses (but another way to push cap hits later in a contract). Players can also have money guaranteed but only for injury, or only for skill, which is another way teams can make the numbers dance.

All that really matters is:

The only thing the media reports outside weird blogs and columns is total value / total guaranteed value!, which are almost utterly irrelevant. Pretty much just good for headlines which teams, agents and players all like for jock stuffing.

Now, let's use an example contract: Joe Flacco, who signed a 6 year $120.6m extension last year with $52m guaranteed: http://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/. Yet, look at that first year cap hit, only $6.8m, curious!

So the first thing is, that $52m guaranteed is really a $29m signing bonus, a $15m option bonus paid out in 2014, and a $7m option bonus in 2015.

So for 2013, his cap hit is only $1m (base salary) + $5.8m (1/5th his $29m signing bonus) = $6.8m

Then in 2014, his $15m option bonus was picked up, which adds $3m prorated bonus to the next 5 years of the deal, and his base salary goes up to $6m + $8.8m = $14.8m cap hit.

Then in 2015, his $7m option bonus comes into play, but there's only 4 years left on his deal, so add another $1.7.5m prorated and his base salary drops by $2m, so now he's sitting at a $14.4m cap hit for next year.

Now you see 2016 - 2018 have crazy base numbers... yeah, he'll never actually see those. They'll extend him again after next season and get those cap hits down comfortably below $20m.

So really, Joe Flacco signed a 3 year $63m contract, but the Ravens got to spread the cap hit from that over 6 years.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Still a bit confusing, but the numbers make a lot more sense. Thanks!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Why does TFF hate John Elway so much? Honest question. He doesn't seem to really do anything to merit hating him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cole posted:

Why does TFF hate John Elway so much? Honest question. He doesn't seem to really do anything to merit hating him.

He was the only one of his generation to both receive both overwhelming success and praise while also refusing to gracefully vanish

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was the only one of his generation to both receive both overwhelming success and praise while also refusing to gracefully vanish

But we don't really hate Tom Brady or Peyton Manning that much at all. The Pats/Colts/Broncos yes but everyone seems to have a positive opinion of the two of them. Why Elway specifically? If it's just for crushing the hopes and dreams of Cleveland then well, we should hate almost the whole NFL.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What are the advantages and disadvantages of coordinators being up in the booth versus on the sideline? I imagine being able to see everything from above helps, but different coordinators seem to have different preferences. Norv Turner appears to be upstairs, while Joe Lombardi is on the sideline, for example. Pat Narduzzi stays in the booth for three quarters and then comes down for the fourth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axeil posted:

But we don't really hate Tom Brady or Peyton Manning that much at all. The Pats/Colts/Broncos yes but everyone seems to have a positive opinion of the two of them. Why Elway specifically? If it's just for crushing the hopes and dreams of Cleveland then well, we should hate almost the whole NFL.

I hate Peyton Manning that much.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Henchman of Santa posted:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of coordinators being up in the booth versus on the sideline? I imagine being able to see everything from above helps, but different coordinators seem to have different preferences. Norv Turner appears to be upstairs, while Joe Lombardi is on the sideline, for example. Pat Narduzzi stays in the booth for three quarters and then comes down for the fourth.

Pretty cut and dry. Being in the booth gives you a better personal vantage point, but being on the field lets you talk to your players better. Obviously guys on the field have coordinators and assistants in the sky who can relay information back to them and booth guys have people on the ground relaying to players. Being in the booth also lets you isolate yourself a little bit more from the emotions of being on the sideline, for better or worse. Also no Gatorade shower for the booth guy and it's air-conditioned.

Not much more to it, I don't think

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

He has a really punchable face, but beyond that, it's probably his stupid California golden boy schtick. He was the number one high school recruit, and the number one draft prospect. He straight up told the team with the 1st overall pick that he didn't want to play for them and threatened to play baseball if they picked him, which was pretty lovely and against the spirit of the draft. He also played for the Broncos which, being a really easy guy to hate, made him the face of a poo poo ton of terrible losses in the playoffs and Super Bowl, which added to the "Haha gently caress you Elway" element. Especially since he wasn't as good as Marino but was always just as hyped up, usually moreso. gently caress Elway. I pissed off some broncos fan in an Elway jersey at the game sunday because their mascot was hanging out by the gate and taking pictures with people, and I was like "Oh hey, that's nice of Elway to come out and sign autographs for the fans before the game."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I hate Peyton Manning that much.

same

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Volkerball posted:

He has a really punchable face, but beyond that, it's probably his stupid California golden boy schtick. He was the number one high school recruit, and the number one draft prospect. He straight up told the team with the 1st overall pick that he didn't want to play for them and threatened to play baseball if they picked him, which was pretty lovely and against the spirit of the draft. He also played for the Broncos which, being a really easy guy to hate, made him the face of a poo poo ton of terrible losses in the playoffs and Super Bowl, which added to the "Haha gently caress you Elway" element. Especially since he wasn't as good as Marino but was always just as hyped up, usually moreso. gently caress Elway. I pissed off some broncos fan in an Elway jersey at the game sunday because their mascot was hanging out by the gate and taking pictures with people, and I was like "Oh hey, that's nice of Elway to come out and sign autographs for the fans before the game."

If I have the leverage to not go to a piece of poo poo organization I would probably take advantage of it. Why spend the next several years in a miserable place if you don't have to? At this point if Mariota pulled some poo poo like that on th Bucs I would totally understand, and we don't even have any talks of secret backdoor dealings to get the team moved.

Seriously, why spend years in a poo poo hole? Be miserable for the' spirit of the draft?' lol

And you're mad at Elway for the hype that OTHER people give him? That's pretty weak.

I mean I guess I can understand hating him for the way he stiffed the Colts like 32 years ago, but I don't really blame the guy for what he did.

And as far as being the number one recruit, that's basically saying you just hate really good players isn't it? Did you hate Reggie Bush or Andrew Luck?

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: that guy sounds really lame, it's a pretty good joke. Thanks for that explanation.

Cole posted:

If I have the leverage to not go to a piece of poo poo organization I would probably take advantage of it. Why spend the next several years in a miserable place if you don't have to? At this point if Mariota pulled some poo poo like that on th Bucs I would totally understand, and we don't even have any talks of secret backdoor dealings to get the team moved.

Seriously, why spend years in a poo poo hole? Be miserable for the' spirit of the draft?' lol

And you're mad at Elway for the hype that OTHER people give him? That's pretty weak.

I mean I guess I can understand hating him for the way he stiffed the Colts like 32 years ago, but I don't really blame the guy for what he did.

People would probably really hate Eli for doing the same thing to San Diego except San Diego then got Drew Brees and Philip Rivers while Eli went on to be kinda derpy (despite winning 2 rings) so it takes a lot of the sting out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cole posted:

It might be weak or whatever in your opinion but it's one of the most common things people do in every sport. Maybe you were the one guy who loved every Jeter commercial, I don't know.

I hate him because he beat my team in the most maddening ways over and over again.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Grittybeard posted:

I hate him because he beat my team in the most maddening ways over and over again.

This is a decent answer. But hating a guy for hype is like hating someone just because ESPN talks about them too much. I'm usually just annoyed by ESPN. Or Nike for the Jeter commercials.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Demanding a rational explanation for why someone hates a professional athlete seems kind of weird because hating an athlete is inherently irrational.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

And as far as being the number one recruit, that's basically saying you just hate really good players isn't it? Did you hate Reggie Bush or Andrew Luck?

It's not about what he wants to do. I couldn't give a poo poo less what he wants to do. I care about my entertainment value, and the draft is meant to create parity and a fun league. If I wanted to watch a sport where players could just choose what teams they wanted to go to, and the same handful of teams dominate every year, I'd watch college football. So gently caress him for that. And it's not that he was a really good player. He was the prototypical douche. The best at everything he ever tried in his entire life, with his stupid little 80's California attitude. It is extremely easy to root for a guy like that to fail and fail hard. The only player who is really comparable is Carson Palmer, and Palmer got humbled in a big way. So did Elway in those Super Bowls, but (are you ready for this) gently caress Elway.

Cole posted:

This is a decent answer. But hating a guy for hype is like hating someone just because ESPN talks about them too much. I'm usually just annoyed by ESPN. Or Nike for the Jeter commercials.

You...didn't hate Tebow? :confused:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Volkerball posted:

You...didn't hate Tebow? :confused:

No. I met Tebow when I lived in Gainesville. He's way too nice of a guy to hate. It's like hating a puppy. It's a little annoying how nice he is, and it's goddamn ridiculous how in love with him the media was. But no I can't hate the guy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cole posted:

You weren't a kid in the 90s, were you?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I don't have a strong opinion on Elway, but the Colts under Bob Irsay were a sad disaster. He was known for frequent drunkenness, calling plays from the owner's box, and running down to the sidelines to force a coach to bench the starting quarterback. He fired that coach after the game. The Colts went winless the season before they drafted Elway. The season before their defense had 13 sacks on the season. It was a terrible, terrible team.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Cole posted:

He's way too nice of a guy to hate.

this statement makes no godd drat loving sense, nice people are the god drat worst what the gently caress is wrong with you

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Phil Simms. Even 30 years later he is still in my life every time I play Madden; telling me the most painfully obvious things. "I can tell you one thing - third and short is easier than third and long."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elway was great in his two Superbowl years so I'll always like him for that even though Terrell Davis and the O line made that team.

(Terrell Davis should be in the HOF.)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 31, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SkunkDuster posted:

Phil Simms. Even 30 years later he is still in my life every time I play Madden; telling me the most painfully obvious things. "I can tell you one thing - third and short is easier than third and long."
Real Phil Simms can be pretty bad. I am sympathetic to the who-gives-a-poo poo argument when it comes to players but if we have to listen to the guy TALK I'd rather it be someone who got better than a loving 10 on the Wonderlic. He's not like a weird grudge guy who gets dug in on stuff or gets a flashing TILT above his head as much as my REAL least favorite (now ex-) announcers did at least.

Always bizarre that multimillion dollar game Madden has such terrible announcing that goes off the rails multiple times a game in new ways and also a lot of the same ways it has for decades. And not just dumb stuff, plain bizarre wrong stuff. Also, could I throw a swing pass or an out route without the guy continuing for five yards straight out of bounds right after the catch? It's been like that since the 90s, WTF.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Benne posted:

You weren't a kid in the 90s, were you?

I was and I had Elway posters on my wall

Oh Elway-senpai :swoon:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was and I had Elway posters on my wall

Oh Elway-senpai :swoon:

Good lord you already had huge fandom problems now you tell us about this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Febreeze posted:

Good lord you already had huge fandom problems now you tell us about this

I figured being a Broncos fan in the 90s gave that away already

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I figured being a Broncos fan in the 90s gave that away already

you used to be a fan of a different team??? that's pretty messed up man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

football fuckerman posted:

you used to be a fan of a different team??? that's pretty messed up man

Yeah fortunately it rarely comes up

• Locked thread