Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The absolute pinnacle of Ironman BG was the wild mage PC's death to an accidentally summoned pit fiend in the middle of the Carbos fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Ironman sorc going slowly, i'm at beregost now, gonna do some of the free exp quests in beregost and nashkel before going to the friendly arm inn. lvl 1 mages are so goddamn fragile.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

bunnielab posted:

2) Either open up BG right away or move the NCPs in there to an earlier area? I want a way to spice up the early part of the game.

Either The BG1npc mod or the tweak pack do this, can't remember which exactly.

Edit: Moves the npc's out of BG, that is. Except Skie because of her quest and also who cares about Skie.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I finished a playthrough in the patched version of BG2EE. My party consisted of a Neutral Good Elf Diviner, Keldorn, Mazzy, Anomen, Yoshimo/Imoen and Minsc (the last was swapped with other characters to do their quests). Diviners are actually pretty good despite the loss of the conjuration school. The racial elf bonuses are nice, and only Divination and Enchantment (as well as Wild Magic) are open to elves. The best summoning spells in my opinion are Animate Dead, Mordenkainen's Sword and Summon Planetar, all of which belong to other schools and were thus usable by my Diviner. Wish (though not Limited Wish) was also usable. I missed Find Familiar in the early game as the lack of a familiar resulted in fewer HP, but since I rarely use familiars other than an extra hit point source that ceased to be an issue after a few levels.

Regarding the NPCs, I had never used Mazzy before due to her low strength and focus on shortswords but she turned out to be a real killing machine, scoring more kills than either Keldorn or Minsc. Anomen also scored quite a few kills, probably because his turning of undead while invisible or sanctuaried destroyed most of the undead in the game.

I've noticed three bugs in my playthrough. Anomen destroyed undead normally, but his turn undead ability affected Keldorn as if he were an evil cleric. No idea if that bug applies to other clerics/paladins. There was also an important bug in Hexxat's ToB quest. The lich simulacrum got stuck at Near Death and wouldn't die even with Control-J, prompting Hexxat to endlessly reinitiate her scripted dialogue and keep the game from progressing. In the end I managed to get Hexxat away and used Shapechange to turn my Mage into an illithid and int-drain the lich simulacrum to death. That resolved the issue and I was able to complete her quest normally. Also Rasaad's ToB quest didn't work very well in its final stages. I had to reinitiate the final battle a couple of times because the NPC dialogs wouldn't fire off properly making it impossible to complete the quest.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I've noticed three bugs in my playthrough. Anomen destroyed undead normally, but his turn undead ability affected Keldorn as if he were an evil cleric. No idea if that bug applies to other clerics/paladins.

Just checking: Did you use C/N Anomen?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

amanasleep posted:

Just checking: Did you use C/N Anomen?
No, it was with Lawful Good Anomen. That didn't seem to happen with Lawful Neutral Anomen, but this could have simply been because he was lower level at the time and just couldn't affect Keldorn as a result.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

The Candlekeep quests are to orient you and maybe net you a +1 dagger if your reaction is high enough

The experience/gold rewards are never worth it

Really? I thought it was like 300-500exp and a similar amount of gold? I honesty don't think I have ever done all the quests however.

Mzbundifund posted:

The absolute pinnacle of Ironman BG was the wild mage PC's death to an accidentally summoned pit fiend in the middle of the Carbos fight.
Yea that ruled. I have been reading all the old Ironman threads to get psyched up for the new one. It is so weird, I only discovered these games like 2-3 years ago but they are constantly what I want to play when I am in the rpg mood. Hell, I have never even beaten SoA out of maybe 20-30 restarts. There is something so satisfying about them. I just wish there were good quest mods.

The Doomhammer posted:

Either The BG1npc mod or the tweak pack do this, can't remember which exactly.

Edit: Moves the npc's out of BG, that is. Except Skie because of her quest and also who cares about Skie.

Awesome, thanks!

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

3) Allow dueling into kits?

You can do this with EEKeeper. Once you reach the level you want to dual class at change your character to the appropriate kit, then complete the dual class afterwards. If you add the kit after dual classing you won't get your level 1 bonuses.

The only bug I've seen with this is you don't seem to suffer from the restrictions of the kit you dual into, only the disadvantages of the base class. I'm not sure if this applies to all combinations, and I figure if you're prepared to edit your character it's probably not something that would bother you anyway.

I experimented with a kensai->swashbuckler and it becomes hilariously strong.

a medical mystery posted:

The experience/gold rewards are never worth it

I disagree with this, especially if you're playing multiplayer. If you have a thief with enough lockpick you can loot a star sapphire in Winthrop's Inn, which sells for enough gold that you can modestly equip yourself before leaving Candlekeep. This is especially important for katana users as it allows you to buy a katana from Winthrop and you won't have a chance to get another one for quite a while.

Some friends and I are currently doing a 6 person run of both EE games, the biggest problem we're having is getting everyone together to actually play. :v:

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
So I've just picked up BG1 on my tablet, and while I played these games when they were new, I haven't really played them since. What's a good/fun/effective class to play for a "beginner" who finished the BG games back in the day but doesn't really remember them much now? I know that the plain fighter-y classes are easy, but I'm kinda looking for something where I can do more than just autoattack for the first 90% of the game, yet also don't need to remember encounters or have Ad&d 2nd ED memorized. Advice?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Mzbundifund posted:

You can never get enough pit fiends.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Always Half-elf Cleric/Ranger multi.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are druids good enough divine casters by themselves without having a cleric?

EDIT: In Icewind Dale EE. I feel like Animate Dead is just too good. That may be because of BG though. Not sure if the mechanics have changed in IWD.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2014

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

God no, pure druids in AD&D are terrible. A multiclass druid along with a cleric can do some fun things, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ubachung posted:

You can do this with EEKeeper. Once you reach the level you want to dual class at change your character to the appropriate kit, then complete the dual class afterwards. If you add the kit after dual classing you won't get your level 1 bonuses.

Cool, I have EEKeeper, but this is the bit of info I was missing. I like the idea of doing little semi solo runs with weird class combos. I think a mage into Kensi would be interesting.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Cool, I have EEKeeper, but this is the bit of info I was missing. I like the idea of doing little semi solo runs with weird class combos. I think a mage into Kensi would be interesting.

A mage->assassin would probably be a lot of fun too. I find it hard to pass up the HP from starting as a fighter type though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I play some babby overpowered class with a bunch of mods will everyone make fun of me?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

If I play some babby overpowered class with a bunch of mods will everyone make fun of me?

Thinking Shapeshifter with rebalanced shapeshifter dualed into wild mage or assassin.

Quote is not edit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

Thinking Shapeshifter with rebalanced shapeshifter dualed into wild mage or assassin.

Quote is not edit.

You can only dual into or out of fighter if your other class is going to be druid. But just run a reblanced shapeshifter, you'll be loving immortal when you greater werewolf, and high level druids have some amazing spells (Insect Swarm and Nature's Beauty are goddamned amazing).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ubachung posted:

A mage->assassin would probably be a lot of fun too. I find it hard to pass up the HP from starting as a fighter type though.

Oh yah, that would rule. So many wacky possibilities.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There's a better early death than Shank or Carbos. If the game bugs out correctly, you can be killed by the illusionary no-damage Gibberlings in the combat tutorial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

There's a better early death than Shank or Carbos. If the game bugs out correctly, you can be killed by the illusionary no-damage Gibberlings in the combat tutorial.

It's been forever since I've actually done the tutorial.

Fun fact, I'm pretty sure this was fixed in the first patch, but you could originally take all of your illusionary team mates gear, export your character, then import them into a new game and you'd have there stuff. Amazingly helpful for fighter types since I think there's a set of full plate, and if you sell the rest you'll have thousands of gold pieces, enough to buy a magic weapon at least.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

You can only dual into or out of fighter if your other class is going to be druid. But just run a reblanced shapeshifter, you'll be loving immortal when you greater werewolf, and high level druids have some amazing spells (Insect Swarm and Nature's Beauty are goddamned amazing).
From what I recall the rebalanced Shapeshifter was designed to be balanced for the Tactics mod. It makes sense that vanilla BG2 will be no challenge to the kit.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Hey guys, I recently decided to pick up the Baldur's Gate series.

Being new to the series, and D&D in general, I have a few questions regarding Dual-Classes and proficiency points

I'm making a Berserker/Cleric Dual-Class who I plan to solo through the entire series with. He will be using War Hammers and Slings.

My question is, when I decide to dual-class (probably at lvl 13), will all my proficiency points go away and then return when I hit lvl 13 as a cleric? I'm aware that my abilities will function this way, but I'm not certain about proficiency points. Should I start putting points into Slings after I make the switch? I already have 4 points into War Hammers, and 2 points into Sword and Shield.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Blackdog420 posted:

Being new to the series, and D&D in general, I have a few questions regarding Dual-Classes and proficiency points

I'm making a Berserker/Cleric Dual-Class who I plan to solo through the entire series with. He will be using War Hammers and Slings.

My question is, when I decide to dual-class (probably at lvl 13), will all my proficiency points go away and then return when I hit lvl 13 as a cleric? I'm aware that my abilities will function this way, but I'm not certain about proficiency points. Should I start putting points into Slings after I make the switch? I already have 4 points into War Hammers, and 2 points into Sword and Shield.

1.) If this is your first time playing, soloing the game doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.
2.) If you're dual classing at 13, you need to be level 14 as a cleric (it's old level +1, not equal to old level). But once you hit 14, you'll get your old proficiency points back. They don't stack, though--if you have 4 points in war hammers as a berserker, and 1 point in war hammers as a cleric, you will still have 4 points upon hitting cleric 14. Not 5 points.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cheesetriangles posted:

Around here, I'm pretty sure that everyone will make fun of you no matter what you do.

Personally, I like to see the unusual combos and the less-played races and classes. There does seem to be a tendency towards the blatantly overpowered, although I myself am tempted to play cleric/ranger because I like the idea of having all of the priestly spells on one toon. I haven't played through these games multiple times like many here, though, so after a while I fancy that breaking the game is all that's left, so to speak.

I am very glad that they included the BG classes and kits in IWDEE, though. People worried about balance, and rightly so, but I think that it gives the game a replayability that it might not have had otherwise. It's fun to try less popular kits like, say, an Undead Hunter paladin and notice that "Wow, he was really great during that one part of the game with all of the skeletons and ghouls, but not so much later."; that kind of thing. Mages are already a bit weaker since they lose a lot of the contingency and protective spells that feature so prominently in the BG series, but people can always restrict themselves to the original IWD classes if they like.

Still wish that you could have druid/thieves, though.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Blackdog420 posted:

Soloing the game is generally for people who have played through the story in a conventional way 2 or 3 times and want to see just how badly they can break the game with one character. Then, of course, they realise the game is easier solo and the fights themselves are boring because you have one character's set of abilities to manage.

I'd recommend against it on your first playthrough.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Alrighty. I think I have cleared out every area except that durlag's tower and just arrived into Baldur's Gate. How far do you think I am in the game?
Fighter/Cleric multi has been fun so far. Tossing a few Silence 15s, buffing, healing, etc. I have to think that Kivan is the all-star so far though. He just mows through guys with his longbow.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ChiTownEddie posted:

Alrighty. I think I have cleared out every area except that durlag's tower and just arrived into Baldur's Gate. How far do you think I am in the game?
Fighter/Cleric multi has been fun so far. Tossing a few Silence 15s, buffing, healing, etc. I have to think that Kivan is the all-star so far though. He just mows through guys with his longbow.

A bit over halfway through the main quest, though if you've cleared out all the other areas then you're almost done on sidequests (with just the ones in the city proper to go).

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
My party blew through BGEE until I made it through the Thieve's Maze. The six-or-so person ambush at the beginning of the area took me so many tries to get all my characters through that I thought about reloading an empty save to go do other things first.

After killing them I have made a few attempts at what I am assuming is the game's final fight. I thought I was ready but it's insane. I'm going to have to relook at all my memorized spells and potions and try to pull off some crazy poo poo. Nothing really prepared me for a fight like this but I am saving some of the side stuff for my next playthrough.

For my next playthrough I want to make a character that will serve me well through BG2EE. I've never played BG2 and the general consensus seems to be an elf fighter/mage. I did this run as a pure ranger so it would be neat to switch it up. I used Xan as my magic party member so it would be nice to see what a different kind of magicy dudes are like.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 1, 2015

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gooch181 posted:

My party blew through BGEE until I made it through the Thieve's Maze. The six-or-so person ambush at the beginning of the area took me so many tries to get all my characters through that I thought about reloading an empty save to go do other things first.

After killing them I have made a few attempts at what I am assuming is the game's final fight. I thought I was ready but it's insane. I'm going to have to relook at all my memorized spells and potions and try to pull off some crazy poo poo. Nothing really prepared me for a fight like this but I am saving some of the side stuff for my next playthrough.

For my next playthrough I want to make a character that will serve me well through BG2EE. I've never played BG2 and the general consensus seems to be an elf fighter/mage. I did this run as a pure ranger so it would be neat to switch it up. I used Xan as my magic party member so it would be nice to see what a different kind of magicy dudes are like.

Yeah, the last fight can be pretty brutal. It can help to try and summon lots and lots to take some of the hits, buff to hell and back, and maybe send in someone to draw out Sarevok, but worst case scenario just focus fire and DPS him down ASAP.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, the last fight can be pretty brutal. It can help to try and summon lots and lots to take some of the hits, buff to hell and back, and maybe send in someone to draw out Sarevok, but worst case scenario just focus fire and DPS him down ASAP.
If one is having trouble it's also possible to exploit the AI by sending a character forward to lure Sarevok's allies back to the party one at a time. They're pretty easy to defeat that way and a lone Sarevok will quickly fall to the party. (And in the Aec'Letec fight one can send a stealthed or invisible archer to the back of the room (in order to avoid triggering the summoning of the demon) and then kill all the humans there before fighting him. (In EE they and the summoner will move towards you and initiate the summoning, but Aec'Letec will remain in the fog of war and not engage you himself.)

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Arrows of dispelling make the last fight far easier. Being able to completely destroy all of the defenses on the cleric and mage in that fight makes a world of difference in how fast they'll eat it. If you don't have any, you can grab some from Sorcerous Sundries in east Baldurs gate. You don't need many, only two shots if you have even a halfway decent bow user. I'm sure you already have realized this, but stay the gently caress away from the mural in the ground. It's trapped to Hell and back and I don't think they can be disarmed. You should also be chugging every sort of buffing potion under the sun.

What's your party make-up/levels if you're still having trouble?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Just finished that fight myself on my current run through, completely botched it too (I forgot about those statues on the sides of the room that cast web and stinking cloud and stuff at you) so it ended up just a big confused melee of spell effects going off and Angelo firing arrows of detonation at me at close range. Won somehow... Though Edwin got iced by Tazok, who I forgot was even there.

Probably because I killed him earlier in the game. Why do people keep resurrecting Tazok anyway? He's not that impressive!

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
So I've been wondering: is there some opinion on whether that Torment spiritual successor game is worth any attention or not really? That is assuming there is enough known about already it to form an opinion...

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Malek Deneith posted:

So I've been wondering: is there some opinion on whether that Torment spiritual successor game is worth any attention or not really? That is assuming there is enough known about already it to form an opinion...

well it would be hard to say since no one has played it yet

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

well it would be hard to say since no one has played it yet
Ah. I'll admit I didn't keep much track of the game. Thought there'd be some sort of backer beta by now like with Pillars of Eternity but judging by your response that's not the case.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Malek Deneith posted:

Ah. I'll admit I didn't keep much track of the game. Thought there'd be some sort of backer beta by now like with Pillars of Eternity but judging by your response that's not the case.

i haven't paid much attention, but as far as i know there's hardly any info outside of a few concept art and what they said in the kickstarter campaign.

whats the general opinion on pillars of eternity among the beta testers?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 1, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm planning a run through of BG1 to Throne of Bhaal soon enough with a friend, which will be his first time playing and my first time finishing the games.

Do mods work in multiplayer if everyone has them? My plan is, generally, to mod the absolute ever-loving gently caress out of it with everything that will not conflict, set it to hardest difficulty and balls-it-out as much as possible, as that's what we find is the most fun, at least for us anyway.

Do the old Gibberlings3 mods still work for EE? I recall a few of them were great, changed up a few things, made Mage a slightly easier and more versatile class for noobs, etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dyna Soar posted:

whats the general opinion on pillars of eternity among the beta testers?

I wouldn't mind knowing this myself. It's close enough in many ways to the games of yore that I don't think it outside the box to talk about it in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Pillars of Eternity thread is full of beta players impressions. Make sure to read the latest ones, because it's gone through several builds.