Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

It makes Blasphemous Act gain you 13 life times the number of creatures on the battlefield.

So my Stuffy Doll/Boros Reckoner/Spitmare combo deck just got even better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
That demon reveal has me thinking I want a mono black deck revolving around him, master of the feast, and Herald of torment. Maybe an aggro shell? Although 5 cmc may be too high of a curve for that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Shavnir posted:

Only use for it I can see is that goofy modern deck with all the time warps.

As silly as it seems to use EDH as a real example of a place something can see play because everything can see play there, there are several EDH generals that can probably use this card well. Narset is the first that comes to mind.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

As silly as it seems to use EDH as a real example of a place something can see play because everything can see play there, there are several EDH generals that can probably use this card well. Narset is the first that comes to mind.

Given enough time, Magic will reach a point where resolving Narset and attacking means infinite turns with 100% certainty.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

Given enough time, Magic will reach a point where resolving Narset and attacking means infinite turns with 100% certainty.

I'm almost certain we're already at that point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Shavnir posted:

It plays pretty well there with Walk the Aeons, at least :v:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

I'm almost certain we're already at that point.

All you need is a deck that plays four of the blue pulses right? take 4 extra turns, shuffle the 4 of them back into your library. Never mill yourself, find some way to make narset unblockable (there is 1 mana a Blue Theros enchantment that does it I believe?) and you just hit them for three turns, forever, assuming you can cast the 1 Pulse you draw every turn?

EDIT: Beacon, not pulse. Of Tomorrow specifically, but really the Red one works too. and if Narset is unblockable, they need a wrath to stop you from Sexdecoupling (I think that is the correct word for x16) your life total every turn and plicking them for 3 a turn while you go from 6 to 96 on one attack.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, I was thinking in terms of EDH. As far as a legacy deck goes, yeah, we've already long since hit that point.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Deofuta posted:

That demon reveal has me thinking I want a mono black deck revolving around him, master of the feast, and Herald of torment. Maybe an aggro shell? Although 5 cmc may be too high of a curve for that.

A new monoblack devotion or midrange, depending on whether you decide to try running gray merchant as well? I'll certainly be looking for new black cards in this set to make something similar happen. Monoblack aggro is a fun deck, although it's definitely tier 2 at this point.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A new monoblack devotion or midrange, depending on whether you decide to try running gray merchant as well? I'll certainly be looking for new black cards in this set to make something similar happen. Monoblack aggro is a fun deck, although it's definitely tier 2 at this point.

Do you suppose bitter revelations is enough of a card draw engine? Is it all there is in mono black nowadays?

KidVicious
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Charisma

Deofuta posted:

Do you suppose bitter revelations is enough of a card draw engine? Is it all there is in mono black nowadays?

You still have Read the Bones and Sign in Blood currently, right?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

KidVicious posted:

You still have Read the Bones and Sign in Blood currently, right?

And Erebos for repeatable card draw.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

Well, I was thinking in terms of EDH. As far as a legacy deck goes, yeah, we've already long since hit that point.

Even in EDH, a cursory search says there are nine spells that give extra turns, not counting the final fortune type effects, actual time walk, or Ral Zarek. One of them requires you to win a coin flip, and only one exiles on cast. If we leave out shenanigans with elixir of immortality and proteus staff (both of which should be in the deck) you can still be pretty certain you'll hit one or two each turn, especially when you include cards that take extra combat steps and effects that copy spells and/or triggers.

KidVicious
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Charisma
My friend seems convinced that Archfiend of Depravity is going to be the stone nuts in EDH and it'll be the Consecrated Sphinx for black, whereas I think it's good, but it's practically negligible in most cases. What do other players think of this card? Is it that good in ANY area?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Shavnir posted:

I'm also thinking about trying it out in a revamped modern version of Runneflare trap or Jacerator. Timewarp was nearly a timespiral in those decks and usually read "Draw 3-4 cards, untap all your lands, you get an additional land drop"
I'm not sure if they could fill the graveyard fast enough to be worth it over time warp though, losing ponder also sucks a ton for Runeflare.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Archfiend of Depravity is a cool Magic: The Gathering card. Not feeling much else so far. I'm hoping "Acidic Dragon" is their codeword for the RG dragon, give me a flying Reclamation Sage + monstrous Polis Crusher effect or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its funny how much less oppressive Thoughtseize is when you aren't constantly playing the same deck jamming you with it on turn 1.

KidVicious posted:

My friend seems convinced that Archfiend of Depravity is going to be the stone nuts in EDH and it'll be the Consecrated Sphinx for black, whereas I think it's good, but it's practically negligible in most cases. What do other players think of this card? Is it that good in ANY area?

Good not great. They're going to sac only their shittiest creatures, and current standard is hardly battlecruiser Magic.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

KidVicious posted:

Among other differences, the fact that it triggers on your opponents' end step and not their upkeep makes it significantly weaker.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KidVicious posted:

I don't play EDH but is your meta full of removal-light token decks? If it is it might be.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hypotehtical rules question. If I respond to a Sylvan library trigger with brainstorm, put 2 of the drawn cards back, then crack a fetch before letting library resolve, do I break magic online?
I think the boring answer is that the cards put back are no longer tracked for library purposes, but I think I think it would be funny if this set up a scenario where you had to mark cards in your deck.

EDIT: Oh duh! once you draw them off library it would be irrelevant if they were drawn off brainstorm earlier.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 31, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Why would you need to keep track of the cards you shuffle back into your deck? Sylvan Library only cares about the cards in your hand that you've drawn this turn.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

Hypotehtical rules question. If I respond to a Sylvan library trigger with brainstorm, put 2 of the drawn cards back, then crack a fetch before letting library resolve, do I break magic online?
I think the boring answer is that the cards put back are no longer tracked for library purposes, but I think I think it would be funny if this set up a scenario where you had to mark cards in your deck.

Beyond what else is wrong with this question, you can't intercede between Sylvan Library's draw and then choosing which to put back/keep; it's part of the same triggered ability.

Or by the drawn cards you mean the cards you drew with brainstorm, I guess? Never mind, I misunderstood.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

^I know that.
Ok, so after cracking the fetch you then activate scroll rack before library resolves. Its theoretically possible that scroll rack could put cards into your hand that were drawn by brainstorm but then shuffled by the fetch.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

KidVicious posted:

No way. There are a ton of Tron EDH decks that will ignore Archfiend.

Consecrated Sphinx is "Draw 10 cards every go around while all your opponents draw 1".

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
An object that changes zones is not the same object. It doesn't matter the circumstances, it's not possible for you to end up with a card you drew earlier and then left your hand somehow; once it left your hand, it is no longer a card drawn that turn.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wadjamaloo posted:

^I know that.
Ok, so after cracking the fetch you then activate scroll rack before library resolves. Its theoretically possible that scroll rack could put cards into your hand that were drawn by brainstorm but then shuffled by the fetch.

I suspect that that they lose their memory of having been drawn this turn when they change zones, so even if you rack them back into your hand they won't count as having been drawn this turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I only wish for one more decently usable UU 2-drop. I think I can cobble a tier 1.5 U-devotion deck with Mindreaver, another 2 drop, and Wall of Frost. Thassa and MoW are just too powerful to not see any play. :argh:

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wadjamaloo posted:

^I know that.

What question are you trying to ask? It's confusingly phrased and makes it sound like you're not familiar with the stack/triggers, even though I'm pretty sure you are.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Basically: That combination of cards is not going to do anything that cool because it's a big pile of redundancy

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Re: the earlier speculation on delve Lotus, MaRo posted on tumblr that delve is only on colored spells this block.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So am I the only one who thinks Kaalia of the Vast EDH really, really wants, Kolaghan, or is it just not good enough/pointless with Kaalia?

Or did we already have this discussion?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If you cast something like Nighthowler or Boon Satyr as bestow auras, can they be hit with Disdainful Stroke? Do they retain their normal CMC?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

If you cast something like Nighthowler or Boon Satyr as bestow auras, can they be hit with Disdainful Stroke? Do they retain their normal CMC?

The CMC of a spell is whatever is printed in the upper right, not whatever you spent to cast it whether reduced or an alternative cost. The only time a spell has a different value is a spell with "X" while it is on the stack.

So no, neither can be Disdainful Stroked.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

oryx posted:

What question are you trying to ask? It's confusingly phrased and makes it sound like you're not familiar with the stack/triggers, even though I'm pretty sure you are.
What's not clear?
I did forget that when objects change zones they stop being considered the same object, so I guess that solves it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man this sucks.

Where's my Channel? :sigh:

BuckFitches
Mar 3, 2014
can anyone think of some good add in's for my EDH deck? its a polymorphic deck with extra bullshit. Polly rushes into blight-steel and all.

can anyone think of a way to make this deck aggressively un-fun. my group is bitching that i never take things seriously.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BuckFitches posted:

can anyone think of some good add in's for my EDH deck? its a polymorphic deck with extra bullshit. Polly rushes into blight-steel and all.

can anyone think of a way to make this deck aggressively un-fun. my group is bitching that i never take things seriously.

Pretty much any disruptive Legendary Creatures you can think of and then the big fat non-legend dudes.

Who is the commander? Jalira?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

BuckFitches posted:

Man-lands? :)

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

BuckFitches posted:

I run Proteus Staff in my Teferi EDH deck with a small suite of giant guys, I think right now it's just Blightsteel and Jin Gitaxias but since there's lots of little comes into play guys like trinket and treasure mage it usually pays off. Are you playing my favorite EDH tutor and bigtime polymorph enabler: Long Term Plans? It's a demonic tutor with Sensei's Top out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckFitches
Mar 3, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

Pretty much any disruptive Legendary Creatures you can think of and then the big fat non-legend dudes.

Who is the commander? Jalira?

its her, i've already thrown in the lands that transform into creatures (FUN FACT KIDDIES, the effect is sacrifice creature. but the land stay's. effectively bullshitting everything) but she can only poly into NON-legendary. thus why brothers dark and blight are delivering their hulkamania smackdown.

• Locked thread