Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

waffle iron posted:

I know the laws of most states let you enter the intersection when turning left at a controlled intersection, but for the most part I've stopped doing it if there is a separate left turn lane. I have no faith that some rando is going to let me complete the turn. And I've been close to t-boned so many times that I'm fine to wait until I get a green arrow.

Lots of the lights here have the left turn arrows on both sensors (that require about 3+ cars waiting to trigger) and timers so that they only work during certain hours. Your wait could be a long one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

waffle iron posted:

I know the laws of most states let you enter the intersection when turning left at a controlled intersection, but for the most part I've stopped doing it if there is a separate left turn lane. I have no faith that some rando is going to let me complete the turn. And I've been close to t-boned so many times that I'm fine to wait until I get a green arrow.

I wait until the oncoming traffic has stopped or at least slowed to where I know they are coming to a stop. If you're already in the intersection, the cross-traffic must allow you to clear the intersection before proceeding. Wasting their time for a few seconds is better than wasting all your fellow drivers' time because, in some intersections, this is literally the only way you will successfully turn left at certain times of day.

The Locator posted:

Lots of the lights here have the left turn arrows on both sensors (that require about 3+ cars waiting to trigger) and timers so that they only work during certain hours. Your wait could be a long one.

What about intersections that never have a green arrow? Like, uh, most of them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

What about intersections that never have a green arrow? Like, uh, most of them.

Since he was referring to waiting for a left arrow, I was only responding to how many of the left arrows are set up, not intersections that don't have a left arrow.

Myself, I treat any intersection without a red arrow as if it has no left turn control when the green is out, and I wait for oncoming traffic to clear and make my turn (if I'm already in the intersection, which I would be if I was the lead car).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 231 days!)

Geoj posted:

Do the no texting/phone calls while driving laws over there not have blanket exemptions for law enforcement written into them?

I wouldn't doubt it. Beyond the scrambled XxXxXx Mhz bullshit, they've taken to using cell phones for 'private' communications.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CannonFodder posted:

During the summer half of that highway was under construction. I wouldn't do 60 just because everyone was doing 40 through the construction zone to be nice to the workers.

I've been driving it weekly since June - when it was a 35 construction zone I set my cruise just under 40, I was often the leader with people right on my rear end. Didn't care though, the lower speed limits are for my safety and theirs. I don't want to run over a hammer or a foot, nor do I want a doubled fine.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hmmm, why is traffic so slow this late?

Oh, it's just the intersection of a major N/S thoroughfare and an E/W one, with no protected turns and almost a full second of 4-way red when the lights change.

And from where the wreckage ended up, one of 'em must have just arrived (and didn't slow much) as the light changed, while the other just blew the red outright.

Well, that or the one was travelling normally through the green and the other loving blew the red big-time.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PaganGoatPants posted:

You'd think if it were that bad an ambulance would be useful.

As someone that has driven themselves to hospital, Ambulances are 500-950 a call around here, so I can totally understand why she didn't call one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nitrogen posted:

As someone that has driven themselves to hospital, Ambulances are 500-950 a call around here, so I can totally understand why she didn't call one.

OTOH if you can't be bothered to follow basic laws like "don't exceed the speed limit by a factor of two" (I was doing 40 in a 35 and she closed the gap on me like I was standing still) and "don't run others off the road by treating lanes as an abstract concept that can be ignored at your convenience" you probably should call an ambulance. Its not going to do your :airquote: hurt kid :airquote: any good to get in an accident.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

Since he was referring to waiting for a left arrow, I was only responding to how many of the left arrows are set up, not intersections that don't have a left arrow.

Myself, I treat any intersection without a red arrow as if it has no left turn control when the green is out, and I wait for oncoming traffic to clear and make my turn (if I'm already in the intersection, which I would be if I was the lead car).

Yeah, I was asking the person who said he'd always wait for a green arrow. That's just not a feasible way to drive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I was asking the person who said he'd always wait for a green arrow. That's just not a feasible way to drive.

What's this scenario you're envisioning for him here

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 31, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pull into the intersection, turn left when the light changes and oncoming traffic is stopping?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw a kid do this to his parent's brand new f-150 back in high school. Was showing off in the parking lot at lunch.. hit it head on. Bent the ford emblem clean in half.

Also, destroyed everything between said ford emblem and the engine block.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfItenkxgi0

Only took five tries, respect.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

waffle iron posted:

Not only do most states let you, it is the law that you must enter the intersection when turning left so as not to improperly prevent other people behind you from turning with the light as well.

It is super annoying when left-turners in front of me don't move into the intersection. Rules of the road book here states you should inch into 1/3rd of the intersection on a green. I honk if people stop dead on the line during a green, sometimes they get the hint.

Obviously cops are too busy citing people for using their phones at a stoplight or whatever to cite people for not moving up but it still blocks traffic behind you.

You are the person I share a road with. If you're too afraid to go 1/3rd of the way in and wait for the intersection to clear or potential light-runners to go, get off the road.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

Rules of the road book here states you should inch into 1/3rd of the intersection on a green.

Where is this? I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to enter the intersection unless you know you can exit it without stopping here in 'murrca. :911:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Michael Scott posted:

You are the person I share a road with. If you're too afraid to go 1/3rd of the way in and wait for the intersection to clear or potential light-runners to go, get off the road.
Nope! People that hang out in the box after their light turns red are the worst. Dont block the box, yo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

I honk if people stop dead on the line during a green, sometimes they get the hint.

So how often would you say people "accidentally" skip a turn cycle after you do this, or wait until the arrow turns yellow to go on a protected turn?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can we discuss zipper merging instead? I prefer to listen to the same people trolling passive aggressively about passive aggressive driving behavior on the same subject every time, thanks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Can we discuss zipper merging instead? I prefer to listen to the same people trolling passive aggressively about passive aggressive driving behavior on the same subject every time, thanks.

We should zipper merge with cyclists in turning lanes while being women drivers and not tipping the uncircumcised waiter while in a plane taking off from a treadmill.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

How? :psyduck:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rum balls contain alcohol.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Nope! People that hang out in the box after their light turns red are the worst. Dont block the box, yo.

In the scenario I was referencing I'm not sure how you could get stuck in the box. So that's irrelevant to the issue. Once the intersection is clear, complete the turn. If you're in the perpendicular traffic lane waiting to go once the light is green, you have to wait for left-turners to complete the turn. High school stuff.

I'll find the page in the rulebook. Nevermind, in Illinois it's left ambiguous but it is legal and preferred (lets more cars through in a single light) to enter the intersection on a green for a left turn.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 31, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

while in a plane taking off from a treadmill.

It won't take off dude.

The conveyor belt will collapse, they aren't intended for that much weight.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

It won't take off dude.

Right. Everyone knows you need a real big fan if you want it off the air.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

It won't take off dude.

Nah, you just have to get it from the same place that sells the turntables to launch helicopters from.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

I'll find the page in the rulebook. Nevermind, in Illinois it's left ambiguous but it is legal and preferred (lets more cars through in a single light) to enter the intersection on a green for a left turn.

This is what I was taught to do in Illinois Driver's Ed. It does depend on traffic conditions though. Anyone concerned about this probably drives in an area with lovely traffic where people get stuck in intersections all the time because the roads are completely full and the drivers are idiots/dicks. Reston, VA was my most recent experience with this.

Here in Central IL if you don't enter the intersection during a green when making a left turn then you're doing it wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Of course the idiots around here manage to gently caress it up anyways, creeping so far into the intersection that they're almost bumper to bumper with the oncoming left turn traffic, so when a hole opens up they have to crank the wheel to full lock to be able to make the turn.

Then the light turns red and the four cars that were stacked up behind them go as well.

:downs:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The illiterate, inbred morons around here have no problems with left turns, they manage to turn left onto roundabouts somewhere around half the time despite the arrows on signs, the ground, and assorted yield signs. I wish they just stacked up in turning lanes.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

We should zipper merge with cyclists in turning lanes while being women drivers and not tipping the uncircumcised waiter while in a plane taking off from a treadmill.

But what if you're on your way to help a goon out of a well?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I witnessed a glorious traffic stop yesterday. There's an intersection near where I work that is the beginning/end of a fairly short highway artery, and people constantly blow the red light heading eastbound to get on the highway.

In the picture below, the red smudge represents the car that blew the light. I know it was a very solid red, because I (the green smudge) had a left turn arrow and was getting ready to enter the intersection. Guys like that are why I never, ever just blindly jump on the gas when the light turns green.

Blue smudge is the Maine State Trooper who had come to an appropriate stop at the line. I don't think I've ever seen a cruiser light up and sound off as fast as that one did...so of course I politely let him cross the intersection in front of me and nail the guy. It was beautiful, and I wish I had a dash cam so I could have shared the moment with all of you.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I decided to repack and adjust the front wheel bearings on the Ranger because they haven't been done in a while.
When I got the wheels off I noticed both front brake lines are cracked with the fuzzy strings poking out of the damaged rubber. I tow a decent amount and haul motorcycles around even more.
A frequently loaded up truck with ready to pop brake lines. I'm the guy you share the road with.
I had two tires installed just a month ago and they didn't say anything about death awaiting me and those unlucky enough to be in front of me so that kinda sucks too. Oh well. Rock Auto to the rescue. $26 shipped for new lines and an hour to install today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
First rain/freeze/snow combo of the season happened. My handbrake turns are all hosed up. Too fast, too slow, not enough brakes, too much brakes. Ugh. I forgot how to hoon in the snow properly. I'm the guy you share the road with.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

wallaka posted:

The illiterate, inbred morons around here have no problems with left turns, they manage to turn left onto roundabouts somewhere around half the time despite the arrows on signs, the ground, and assorted yield signs. I wish they just stacked up in turning lanes.

I wish that bigger traffic circles had those one-way spikes that pop your tires if you go the wrong way on them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

I feel bad for the dude that chained his bicycle to the railing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

waffle iron posted:

I feel bad for the dude that chained his bicycle to the railing.
I didn't even notice that! Well, poo poo... :smith:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

You know this person is going to try to put the blame on the garage for either not putting up a warning sign, not reinforcing the fence enough, or some BS like that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

White Toyota. Probably an old who has confused the brake pedal with the accelerator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Some arsehole hit my car and left a lovely white streak of their paint over my wheel arch, and scuffed the topcoat all to gently caress for a nice 20cm or so streak. The street is plenty wide enough, it wasn't on a corner or driveway, but some fuckwit still manages to gift me a bunch of lovely looking white paint and yet another thing to fix. They probably came off worse judging by the paint left, and it's not like it's a new car, but it still fucks me right off.

No note or anything of course, even an anonymous "sorry, I hosed up" would have helped.