Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

There were multiple attempts to reapply for the license. It was just convenient to them to appear to give in to protest demands.

Its a loss in my book

You mean the lawsuits they won already? It was because of cost, not hippies. You can blame the hippies all you want, but it was cheap natural gas that shut down that plant.

If you want to point fingers, I'd look towards the failure of carbon pricing in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DBlanK
Feb 7, 2004

Living In The Real World

computer parts posted:

"Rejected energy" is stuff lost to heat or any other inefficiencies.

If that is the case, and the majority of energy loss is in electricity generation and transportation, then Inslee's plan for efficiency seems like a waste of time.

Gov. Inslee's 2015 climate legislation posted:

Energy efficiency is one of the most cost-effective ways to cut emissions, reduce costs, increase our productivity and competitiveness, and accelerate the creation of thousands of jobs.
--Energy Efficiency in Buildings: Gov. Inslee and the Dept. of Commerce proposed capital budget investments that will improve energy efficiency and save Washingtonians money.
--Energy Efficiency in Agriculture: By expanding the funding for the Washington Farm Energy Program at WSU, we can expand energy efficiency programs for farmers statewide.
--Energy Efficiency in Industries: Creating the Industrial Energy Services Center (to be administered by WSU) would provide technical assistance to industries in the state and provide financial incentives for efficiency projects.
--State Government Operations: Creating a statewide Resource Conservation Management program for state government operations at the Department of Enterprise Services would help the state focus on improving the energy (and other resource) efficiency of public buildings.

To give him credit though, he does talk about transportation as part of clean energy section,
but I am not sure if he is really talking about making the energy utilization more efficient.
And there is a blurb in the clean energy section as well...

Gov. Inslee's 2015 climate legislation posted:

Carbon Emissions
-Clean Transportation: Gov. Inslee and the Dept. of Transportation have three strategies to decrease carbon pollution from transportation:
cleaner cars, cleaner fuels and moving people and goods more efficiently.

Clean Energy
-Clean Energy Fund: This fund helps research institutions, utilities and businesses develop and deploy renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DBlanK posted:

If that is the case, and the majority of energy loss is in electricity generation and transportation, then Inslee's plan for efficiency seems like a waste of time.

To give him credit though, he does talk about transportation as part of clean energy section,
but I am not sure if he is really talking about making the energy utilization more efficient.

It sounds like the focus is more "reduction of usage of energy" rather than "reduction of waste of energy". That's also something you can probably squeeze a few percentages off of (and on an absolute scale that's a lot of energy) but it wouldn't be the main or ideal fix.

It's basically the "how do you make money without spending much/any money" solution.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately they'll just get replaced with Coal or Gas. Vermont Yankee shutdown today and its likely going to be replaced with a Natural Gas

Except out here in western Massachusetts every other house has a "Stop the Pipeline" lawn sign. People are pissed at the idea of expanding our natural gas capacity, even as our electric rates just shot up 40% due to a lack of capacity in the system. The Mt. Tom coal plant shut down a few months ago. Popular opinion has killed biomass, solar and wind projects. Even getting more hydro power runs up against opposition. In short, we demand safe, clean renewable power- just as long as somebody else has to look at it.
If the rest of the country is like my neighbors we'll just keep watching the old power plants go offline with nothing new to replace them until... back to nature, I guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Odonata posted:

... back to nature, I guess?

Greenpeace would actually like that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Odonata posted:

Except out here in western Massachusetts every other house has a "Stop the Pipeline" lawn sign. People are pissed at the idea of expanding our natural gas capacity, even as our electric rates just shot up 40% due to a lack of capacity in the system. The Mt. Tom coal plant shut down a few months ago. Popular opinion has killed biomass, solar and wind projects. Even getting more hydro power runs up against opposition. In short, we demand safe, clean renewable power- just as long as somebody else has to look at it.
If the rest of the country is like my neighbors we'll just keep watching the old power plants go offline with nothing new to replace them until... back to nature, I guess?

Popular opinion can stop renewables but not natural gas?
E: can also stop nuclear but not coal, oil or wars perceived as related to them?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 31, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DBlanK posted:

just... electrify everything and build low-carbon power stations. That's like 90% of the problem solved for the mid term.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

katlington posted:

Popular opinion can stop renewables but not natural gas?
E: can also stop nuclear but not coal, oil or wars perceived as related to them?

Strangely, yes, popular opinion is able to kill renewables. It's very easy to pressure the local selectmen into passing a local ordinance against solar or wind installations. While an individual might put solar panels on their home without a problem, for instance, plans to cover old landfills with large arrays of solar panels to power multiple homes are killed due to neighbors fussing about property values. Wind turbines are blocked for the same reason- we can't ruin our town with these eyesores!
The natural gas pipeline in question isn't subject to local control. It's going to run from the fracking fields of Pennsylvania across New York and Massachusetts to end up by the coast where it will be available to both domestic and foreign markets. There's a lot of anger, both because of the source of the gas and because people are loosing their property through eminent domain. Local anger doesn't matter, though. I believe the town of Deerfield already tried to pass an ordinance to prevent the pipeline from going through and were basically told they don't have a say in the matter- this is up to the Feds to approve or deny.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So the federal government could overrule the nimbys tomorrow if it wanted to? Like it has with gas? It sounds like nimbys are allowed to stop renewables.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

katlington posted:

So the federal government could overrule the nimbys tomorrow if it wanted to? Like it has with gas? It sounds like nimbys are allowed to stop renewables.

If they wanted to. Issue is, to unite multiple branches of government around an issue is much harder than one would suspect, unless you're attempting to power an anti-Nazi death ray with your renewable energy. At a state level, you can create this will by mandanting that a minimum % of electricity consumed in your state must be generated through renewable sources not including LNG, with higher rates of taxation for energy sold by entities which do not meet your minimum renewable quota.

In the current regulatory environment, far better to move towards LNG based upon market-orientated decisions than it is to maintain reliance upon coal. Venture capital has begun to enter the LNG power generation business in order to have fully vertically-integrated operations. When you own the fracking fields, the LNG pipeline and refinement facilities, the LNG power generation facilities, and have a long-term partnership for transmission access, you've increased your profit far more than you'd get with coal or nuclear.

I wonder if anyone has done a study of the nuclear industry in America as a business, examining the corporate structures of nuclear plant operators and all levels of their procurement and distribution.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

katlington posted:

Popular opinion is ignored with everything else in this country - weed legalization, gay marriage, etc, why would power be any different? It's just the lobbyists whispering in politician ears that matter, and I guess the economics aren't profitable enough for some things right now.

Anything else happen in the last 20 pages or is it the usual arkane trolling?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

katlington posted:

There's the problem of votes, though. If a Democrat politician came through a neighborhood and was like "hey by the way, we're going to build a shitload of things here all of you deliberately voted down in location elections" you can bet there'd suddenly be a lot more Republicans in the area next election.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's the problem of votes, though. If a Democrat politician came through a neighborhood and was like "hey by the way, we're going to build a shitload of things here all of you deliberately voted down in location elections" you can bet there'd suddenly be a lot more Republicans in the area next election.

Like it has with gas?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

effectual posted:

Anything else happen in the last 20 pages or is it the usual arkane trolling?

You want someone to sum up five months and twenty pages of posts you could read through yourself in less than half an hour. Ever wonder if this attitude is what keeps climate change as "debatable"? For fucks sake, why people won't just loving read I'll never understand.

Yes nothing happened and it's all Arkane all the way down.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yes nothing happened and it's all Arkane all the way down.

^ this but un-ironically

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was sobering to see this article on CBS today, predicting the end of most ocean life by 2048. Not sure if this is more environmental degredation as opposed to climate change, but CO2 levels definitely have a part to play in increasing acidity in the seas. It also could mean things like flooding that are already increasing because of climate change will get even worse.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/salt-water-fish-extinction-seen-by-2048/

I can see why in the face of news like this many people are apt to deny climate change is happening. I hate reading these kind of articles, though I'm drawn to them when they're posted on social media. It seems like the world should be banding together right now to take on a host of very important issues that will irreversibly change our planet, but instead we're choosing to ignore the issues.

Though the paper itself seems to point out that not all fish will be extinct, just the ones humans currently fish for food. But still, that's pretty terrible.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 4, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Does anyone have any information on hydraulic fracturing? I watched gas land recently and was wondering how accurate it is.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

THE MOON! posted:

Does anyone have any information on hydraulic fracturing? I watched gas land recently and was wondering how accurate it is.

Like most documentaries it doesn't necessarily have any direct lies, but it frames a lot of stuff in such a way that the viewer draws up a lot of assumptions that are unwarranted.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Ccs posted:

It was sobering to see this article on CBS today, predicting the end of most ocean life by 2048. Not sure if this is more environmental degredation as opposed to climate change, but CO2 levels definitely have a part to play in increasing acidity in the seas. It also could mean things like flooding that are already increasing because of climate change will get even worse.

I can see why in the face of news like this many people are apt to deny climate change is happening. I hate reading these kind of articles, though I'm drawn to them when they're posted on social media. It seems like the world should be banding together right now to take on a host of very important issues that will irreversibly change our planet, but instead we're choosing to ignore the issues.

Though the paper itself seems to point out that not all fish will be extinct, just the ones humans currently fish for food. But still, that's pretty terrible.
My estimation on viable oil/shale is around 2035 or so, given population expansion and consumption changes. Seems like everything is going to be totally hosed around that time frame.

Like I've said before... poo poo is hosed, and we're too stupid/easily misled to fix it. If you're going to be around after the next 15 years, you need to be ready. Save yourselves, 'cause we ain't saving this poo poo.

Survivalists may be looked upon as weird now, but honestly? They probably have the right idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil_Greven posted:

My estimation on viable oil/shale is around 2035 or so, given population expansion and consumption changes. Seems like everything is going to be totally hosed around that time frame.

Like I've said before... poo poo is hosed, and we're too stupid/easily misled to fix it. If you're going to be around after the next 15 years, you need to be ready. Save yourselves, 'cause we ain't saving this poo poo.

Survivalists may be looked upon as weird now, but honestly? They probably have the right idea.

Oh good, we're at the part of the thread where our resident depressed posters can circle jerk to the world ending.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

computer parts posted:

Oh good, we're at the part of the thread where our resident depressed posters can circle jerk to the world ending.

Yes, looking at the state of what the world is doing to minimize climate impact (almost nothing) and concluding that it might end up making the world a harder place to survive in is now circlejerking to the end of the world.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Have any better ideas?

Everything has looked like piss for awhile. We need to face the fact that little is going to change in our trajectory and respond accordingly. Even if there was change, it's probably too late to mitigate a lot of poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yes, looking at the state of what the world is doing to minimize climate impact (almost nothing) and concluding that it might end up making the world a harder place to survive in is now circlejerking to the end of the world.

There's no "might" about the conclusion, it's literally "go be a prepper because the world is hosed".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil_Greven posted:

Have any better ideas?

Everything has looked like piss for awhile. We need to face the fact that little is going to change in our trajectory and respond accordingly. Even if there was change, it's probably too late to mitigate a lot of poo poo.

The reason people speak doom and gloom is because it might already be too late. But hey, look on the bright side, CEO Wealthy McRichpants bought his 17th house and 14th yacht this year!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

computer parts posted:

There's no "might" about the conclusion, it's literally "go be a prepper because the world is hosed".
Not necessarily 'go be a prepper RIGHT NOW' but do what you need to in order for your family to survive. Accumulating money/land would help.

It's bad enough that the atmosphere will warm and all of those effects screw up stuff for us humans. If the oceans truly die, well... that's game over.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil_Greven posted:

Not necessarily 'go be a prepper RIGHT NOW' but do what you need to in order for your family to survive. Accumulating money/land would help.

That would also help even if nothing changed.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but that article is from November 2006.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star posted:

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but that article is from November 2006.

So things have gotten worse since then.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

effectual posted:

So things have gotten worse since then.

Of course, the original article discusses how the impacts are reversible. But don't let that get in the way of doomdayism.

1. "Global climate change doesn't exist."
2. "Global climate change isn't human caused."
3. "Global climate change is human caused, but it's too late to do anything about it."

Semiperimeter
Dec 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

As you mentioned, the article headlines is "Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048" but the paper itself is mentioning collapse. That says something about how accurate the rest of the article will be.

The author of the paper, Boris Worm, has a PhD, of Dalhousie University. On their homepage there is a follow up from 2008. http://www.dal.ca/news/2008/10/06/boris.html

"Critics said researchers overstated the threat and were unduly alarmist. Ray Hilborn, a professor of fisheries management at the University of Washington, said the study was “probably the most absurd prediction that’s ever appeared in a scientific journal regarding fisheries.”

"Now, two years later, a new study published in the September edition of Science shows trends are potentially reversible with an innovative yet contentious fisheries management strategy called “catch shares.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Semiperimeter posted:

As you mentioned, the article headlines is "Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048" but the paper itself is mentioning collapse. That says something about how accurate the rest of the article will be.

The author of the paper, Boris Worm, has a PhD, of Dalhousie University. On their homepage there is a follow up from 2008. http://www.dal.ca/news/2008/10/06/boris.html

"Critics said researchers overstated the threat and were unduly alarmist. Ray Hilborn, a professor of fisheries management at the University of Washington, said the study was “probably the most absurd prediction that’s ever appeared in a scientific journal regarding fisheries.”

"Now, two years later, a new study published in the September edition of Science shows trends are potentially reversible with an innovative yet contentious fisheries management strategy called “catch shares.”

How exactly are 'catch shares' going to fight ocean acidification and death of the CO2 regulating portions of ocean ecology?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

How exactly are 'catch shares' going to fight ocean acidification and death of the CO2 regulating portions of ocean ecology?

I don't know, bit if there's one thing the global fishing industry is good at its implementing "innovative management strategies".

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

It won't even take as long as that for certain fish populations. People in New England are already infuriated that NOAA shut down more of the Gulf of Maine to cod fishing since cod populations in the region have plummeted. I understand frustrations of those who's livelihood is dependent on fishing from Maine all the way down to Gloucester but it seems incredibly shortsighted when the same people upset about the closures are complaining about poor yields year after year.

Semiperimeter
Dec 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

In the CBS article, the cause of the extinction (collapse): "the disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss, and
climate change." "Worm and colleagues call for sustainable fisheries management, pollution control, habitat maintenance, and the creation
of more ocean reserves."

Overfishing is something the 'catch shares' according to the abstract from the Science article "Implementation of catch shares halts, and even
reverses, the global trend toward widespread collapse." can affect.

So in present to 2048 timeframe (if the studie is correct) the implementation of 'catch shares' is important to avoid the death of portions of ocean
ecology (including CO2 regulating).

When it comes to acidification, I know to little to say why it was not mentioned in the abstract to the Science studie or in the CBS article.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

CBS was probably taking more a "fair and balanced" view of climate change in 2006. Wikipedia also claims that the study that found that acidification was happening a lot faster than previously thought didn't come out until late 2008.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
At the end of the day, overfishing is nothing next to the acidification of the ocean waters. That'll knock most if not all of the major ocean species in one fell swoop

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CommieGIR posted:

At the end of the day, overfishing is nothing next to the acidification of the ocean waters. That'll knock most if not all of the major ocean species in one fell swoop

poo poo, our deepening marine fiasco is almost worth a thread in itself.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

CommieGIR posted:

But on the other hand.. it's party time for the jellyfish!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/rise-of-jellyfish-reveals-sickness-of-world-s-oceans-1.1310029

Myotis
Aug 23, 2006

We have guided missiles and misguided men.

blowfish posted:

just... electrify everything and build low-carbon power stations. That's like 90% of the problem solved for the mid term.

It's a problem of inertia and timing.

Energy efficiency improvements can be implemented with immediate effect, generating demand reduction and reducing emissions. The immediacy comes from bringing in progressively tighter efficiency standards so that better vehicles, appliances and so on filter through the economy as they are purchased. Perhaps the most powerful efficiency gains are to be made at the point of consumption (i.e. how people interact with energy services, rather than the energy throughput of the services themselves).

Decarbonising the power supply is a long term game. Existing power plants are locked into investment cycles and thus committed emissions. New power plants take decades to commission and build.

To me it makes sense to simultaneously cut demand through efficiency standards and "finding better ways to live", while rolling out a low-carbon supply. Placing all bets on the latter seriously constrains your future choices (e.g. to CCS), due to aforementioned inertia and the cumulative effect of CO2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Once you electrify, how do you prevent the next chairman from scrapping all your copper while switching over to cheap fossil fuels? You can't.

• Locked thread