Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Instead of fixing like 211 miles of interstate, they are building that.

A bargain at half the price.

Even a silly foreigner such as myself noticed this massive build as I was leaving Vegas for SF and now that you've said what it is it makes heaps of sense.

I've got my Class 5 learners done. Which means I can drive up to 50 tons with a supervisor if I ever need to leave my Research job. However my OSH forklift accreditation has expired which means I need to do a suck eggs 3 hour refresher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anphear posted:

However my OSH forklift accreditation has expired which means I need to do a suck eggs 3 hour refresher.

gently caress that class. I think I can manage to remember to not run people through with the forks like a giant motorized pirate, thanks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Whoa, wait a minute. Operating a forklift is a lot more appealing suddenly.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Splizwarf posted:

Whoa, wait a minute. Operating a forklift is a lot more appealing suddenly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
About to graduate from a accredited trucking school and filled out a few application to get a few pre hires going. Still pretty frustrated off over how the Melton recruiter talked to me.

"You were at a 2 year college for 3 years? How did you pay your bills?"

"Wish someone would have paid me to go to school for free."

"Did you even get a degree? Well that was a big waste."

"The last 3 months you have not been working, or not in school, so who is paying your bills? So your living off your wife?"

"Sorry, based off this information, we can't offer you employment at this time."

I guess if everyone made good decisions when they were younger, no one would be driving trucks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

About to graduate from a accredited trucking school and filled out a few application to get a few pre hires going. Still pretty frustrated off over how the Melton recruiter talked to me.

"The last 3 months you have not been working, or not in school, so who is paying your bills? So your living off your wife?"

"Sorry, based off this information, we can't offer you employment at this time."

I guess if everyone made good decisions when they were younger, no one would be driving trucks.
"You've been unemployed for too long, we can't hire you, you must remain unemployed so no one will hire you so you will stay unemployed"

I had that bullshit for a while.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anyone who won't take "I saved enough to take a nice break so I spent three months smoking good cigars and loving my wife and her friends all day" for an answer is probably going to be a bad employer anyway.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone who won't take "I saved enough to take a nice break so I spent three months smoking good cigars and loving my wife and her friends all day" for an answer is probably going to be a bad employer anyway.

Stealing this for any future unemployment I have.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
LOL The recruiter accidentally sent me a email about orientation, and after looking her up on face book, turns out she graduated from a university in 1996 with a masters in biology.

She must be pissed the whole genome industry didn't pan out.

AllPraiseToAllah fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 30, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

LOL The recruiter accidentally sent me a email about orientation, and after looking her up on face book, turns out she graduated from a university in 1996 with a masters in biology.

She must be pissed the whole genome industry didn't pan out.

My wife is lucky enough to be utilizing her biology masters in an honest to goodness science job, but it's 100% grant funded. And most of her peers and associates from college have an extremely difficult time finding any sort of work - like, they jump at 18k a year post doc positions just so they can be doing something. It's not at all surprising that someone with such a degree is doing HR work for a trucking outfit in the current sciences job climate.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
You guys might just love this one.

That's also a company endorsed webpage.

."We must secure the success of our Family and the future for Knight Drivers"

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Uh..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

....wow. Why not just fly the Swastika?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

You sure you want to get into this line of work?

CommieGIR posted:

....wow. Why not just fly the Swastika?

Funny you should say that, before the thread I was reading about this got blown up and hidden some people were saying wacky poo poo like "swastikas are Buddhist, you can't judge!"

One to five billion dollars in revenue and someone asleep at the wheel.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I thought it was this one for a second: http://www.knighttrans.com/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

It is.

:ughh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Totally TWISTED posted:

I just hope no one white knights them here (yeah, that pun was entirely intentional) because seriously, what the gently caress.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

:stonk: Haha god drat, I thought the different logo/colors meant it was some small operation I'd not heard of with the same name instead.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Do they accept whites?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Do they accept whites?

Only if you show your Aryan ID card.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Do they accept whites?

Strangest thing is the amount of black people favoriting that page on facebook.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

I saw a Knight truck today, and the driver looked like a standard toothless Ferntuckian high on meth. Of course I didn't pay a hell of a lot of attention because I was in my SlowFerd gunning it to get up to 3000 rpm so I could almost make the speed limit up the Carson hill to get the hell out of there. :banjo:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

I saw a Knight truck today, and the driver looked like a standard toothless Ferntuckian high on meth. Of course I didn't pay a hell of a lot of attention because I was in my SlowFerd gunning it to get up to 3000 rpm so I could almost make the speed limit up the Carson hill to get the hell out of there. :banjo:

I feel bad for those guys in Fernley, Amazon hosed them all hard in the rear end. God only knows why they moved their DC to your house.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

InterceptorV8 posted:

I feel bad for those guys in Fernley, Amazon hosed them all hard in the rear end. God only knows why they moved their DC to your house.

:ssh: Its not built yet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh, tells is behind it all. They don't want any competition getting trucks for their gigafactory :v:.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
So I passed my test today after failing it the first time Monday; not much else to say other than it's a huge relief off my shoulders to have the testing done. This time around, instead of an alley dock, I received a sight-side parallel, and lost 1 point (of 12) in skills for using an extra pull-up. For the on-the-road portion, I lost 7 points (of 30); mostly for wide turns and grinding gears a couple of times. The way I saw it, 30 points is pretty generous for that part of the test (assuming you know what you're doing), but even grazing a curb or clipping off the payment on the rural roads is an immediate fail. So it's much safer to take a few extra points for turning wide, than it is to turn short and fail.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

No matter what's in the box, it only takes 2 minutes to lift up 22 tonne and plop it on the trailer.

Clearly you've never been to the Norfolk Southern ramp in Chicago.

Besides, with container work you get to deal with waiting for the customer to live-unload 5,000 floor loaded pieces, no?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

kathmandu posted:

Clearly you've never been to the Norfolk Southern ramp in Chicago.

Besides, with container work you get to deal with waiting for the customer to live-unload 5,000 floor loaded pieces, no?

Psssh no, I only do export containers to the wharf that have been loaded the day before and empties back that just get dumped in the yard

My biggest headache is axle weights because lucky me, there's a 24/7 weigh bridge between me and the wharf, if it's 2x20's (it's Australia, so this is on a B-double setup), the middle tri is always a touch over the 21.5t weight I'm allowed. If it's a single 40', it has to be loaded in a particular way or I go over on the drive. Ontop of that the truck I do it in is a cattle truck through the week, so when it was specced out they got 2x750L fuel tanks to get max range, if it's full up with 1500L of diesel the total gross goes near 65t and I'm only allowed 64.5t. There's been more than one occasion where I've left overweight and just prayed that I've burnt the weight off by the time I hit the weigh bridge.

I'm just a weekend warrior though, I'm the IT manager Mon-Fri and on Saturdays I do a run or two into the terminals for the same place to earn some extra money. IT was what I was always good at, but trucking was always family business.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

Psssh no, I only do export containers to the wharf that have been loaded the day before and empties back that just get dumped in the yard

My biggest headache is axle weights because lucky me, there's a 24/7 weigh bridge between me and the wharf, if it's 2x20's (it's Australia, so this is on a B-double setup), the middle tri is always a touch over the 21.5t weight I'm allowed. If it's a single 40', it has to be loaded in a particular way or I go over on the drive. Ontop of that the truck I do it in is a cattle truck through the week, so when it was specced out they got 2x750L fuel tanks to get max range, if it's full up with 1500L of diesel the total gross goes near 65t and I'm only allowed 64.5t. There's been more than one occasion where I've left overweight and just prayed that I've burnt the weight off by the time I hit the weigh bridge.

I'm just a weekend warrior though, I'm the IT manager Mon-Fri and on Saturdays I do a run or two into the terminals for the same place to earn some extra money. IT was what I was always good at, but trucking was always family business.

Man, if you always get lifted off within minutes and never have to deal with live load/unload, then you are one of the luckiest SOBs in container drayage. Other than the whole legal weight issue, of course. I've got a fleet full of bitter owner-operators who would gouge my eyes out on national television for consistent and quick turn-around runs like that.

Container trucking can be a bitch in its own way because the equipment is always super hosed up and you spend a lot of time waiting on various delays (which our owner operators hate, of course). However, our guys are generally home every night, so that's not bad.

In general, though, I've come to the conclusion that being a dispatcher (and logistics in general) is a miserable profession and I need to figure out something else to do with my life. I hate being witness to the profound bullshit our drivers go through on a daily basis and would rather not continue to play a role in it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

kathmandu posted:

Man, if you always get lifted off within minutes and never have to deal with live load/unload, then you are one of the luckiest SOBs in container drayage. Other than the whole legal weight issue, of course. I've got a fleet full of bitter owner-operators who would gouge my eyes out on national television for consistent and quick turn-around runs like that.

Well it's not all roses, the ports are usually OK about getting lifted within an hour, but the empty yards are hosed, even on Saturday morning there's line ups and no-one's ever in a rush to do anything in those places. I can only imagine what horror it would be going there on a weekday afternoon.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The King of Swag posted:

So I passed my test today after failing it the first time Monday; not much else to say other than it's a huge relief off my shoulders to have the testing done. This time around, instead of an alley dock, I received a sight-side parallel, and lost 1 point (of 12) in skills for using an extra pull-up. For the on-the-road portion, I lost 7 points (of 30); mostly for wide turns and grinding gears a couple of times. The way I saw it, 30 points is pretty generous for that part of the test (assuming you know what you're doing), but even grazing a curb or clipping off the payment on the rural roads is an immediate fail. So it's much safer to take a few extra points for turning wide, than it is to turn short and fail.

Congrats.

What's up on your list now?

Rudager posted:

Well it's not all roses, the ports are usually OK about getting lifted within an hour, but the empty yards are hosed, even on Saturday morning there's line ups and no-one's ever in a rush to do anything in those places. I can only imagine what horror it would be going there on a weekday afternoon.

I keep turning down job offers to do portwork.

Reno to Oakland and back. I'd much rather smash my balls with a hammer. That and the fact nobody will give me a straight loving answer about pay.

I'm kinda over this line of work to be honest.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Congrats.

What's up on your list now?

I go to work for my uncle on Monday. The whole reason for getting into this is that my uncle runs his own trucking company, but he wants to retire, so he wants his kids and my brother and I to get involved in it and eventually take over. His company hauls gravel locally in the LA basin and surrounding area, so I fortunately won't have to do any over the road trucking. Based on what my cousin-in-law is making right now (he got his CDL in ~August) and what my uncle says about the job, I'm pretty excited for it.

Honestly, the only reason I originally considered joining my uncle after he gave us the offer, is that both my brother and I have had a ton of trouble getting hired into our respective fields. When my last real prospect fell through, I said to hell to it and told my uncle I wanted to take up his offer. Of course, now that I've actually gone through the training and learned more about it from him, I wish I had gotten involved sooner.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So here's something random.

Let's say someone that has health issues has been thinking of getting a CDL (via a local school instead of through a company program). I've had some people tell me that diabetes is an instant disqualifier, but various websites say it only subjects the driver to some additional screening, and others suggest that's only if the person is using insulin.

Issues are type 2 beetus, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol - all are pretty well controlled between diet, exercise, and meds. This person (me) doesn't use insulin, only oral medications. The last round of bloodwork came back completely normal except for A1c and glucose (so basically only the diabetes is still showing up, but only a little above the levels that someone without beetus would show).

Would this person stand a chance of getting a CDL? I'd also test positive for benzos, but I have a script for them (one that I rarely take; I'm prescribed 225mg a day, and usually take 0-25mg most days); this last 3 month refill of 90 still has about 75 or 80 left in the bottle, filled 2 months ago).

tl;dr if I'm going to be delivering poo poo, I may as well get paid to use a company vehicle, instead of using my own car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 3, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

Let's say someone that has health issues has been thinking of getting a CDL (via a local school instead of through a company program). I've had some people tell me that diabetes is an instant disqualifier, but various websites say it only subjects the driver to some additional screening, and others suggest that's only if the person is using insulin.

Issues are type 2 beetus, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol - all are pretty well controlled between diet, exercise, and meds. This person (me) doesn't use insulin, only oral medications. The last round of bloodwork came back completely normal except for A1c and glucose (so basically only the diabetes is still showing up, but only a little above the levels that someone without beetus would show).

Would this person stand a chance of getting a CDL? I'd also test positive for benzos, but I have a script for them (one that I rarely take; I'm prescribed 225mg a day, and usually take 0-25mg most days); this last 3 month refill of 90 still has about 75 or 80 left in the bottle, filled 2 months ago).

tl;dr if I'm going to be delivering poo poo, I may as well get paid to use a company vehicle, instead of using my own car.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/Medical-Requirements

May a driver who has non-insulin treated diabetes mellitus (treated with oral medication) be certified for 2 years?

PreviousNext
In all cases, clinical judgment is required. The Medical Examiner decides if the driver's diabetes is adequately controlled, which determines certification, length of certification or disqualification. FMCSA guidelines recommend performing annual examination for vision, neurological function and cardiovascular disease, including hypertension. In general, the diabetic driver should have annual re-certification examinations.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

It's that time of year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1URe12b_wU

Also, my company (i don't drive i just fix the bulk tanks) got a fancy new LNG powered Mack to demo for six months.

It's p sweet but they're keeping it local at the moment because you can't pop into the Flying J for fuel.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If the poo poo you are delivering fits in your car you don't need a CDL to get paid for that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Not sure what Texas is like that way (or how it works with things like benzos, though a script means nobody can really say much about it as long as you're not abusing) but my father got his type 2 'beetus diagnosis a little over a year ago and is still driving (and has been through 3 different companies since then, because he's been doing a lot of seasonal work lately). Best bet is to call up a couple of trucking companies in your area and ask how it all works around there.
Failing that, I'm not sure how vehicle classifications work down there either but here you can run a 5 ton on a regular driver's license as long as it's a single axle truck with hydraulic brakes (though an air brake certificate is a fairly easy test to pass after a day in a classroom and/or an evening of studying). And LTL work isn't bad stuff in general, still a huge step up from pizzas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Totally TWISTED posted:

If the poo poo you are delivering fits in your car you don't need a CDL to get paid for that.

Dude just wants to deliver 17,000 palletized pizzas at a time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
-43 degrees last night. Cummins n14+ makes an extra 5psi boost at this temp. And oh god it rolls steam for a solid 1/2 mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Keep in mind this is coming from a different country, but I know a diabetic driver, the only thing different for him than me is that he has to have yearly medicals while I only need one every 4 years (if I had the next license class down, it'd be every 10 years).

• Locked thread