Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Just did some catching up and....

Luisfe posted:

Dexter be better.

:(

Love Edith/Maude fort warms cat blob.

Litter genie vid is bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

that is literally what a nose is

A nose is about half of that. It can detect chemicals in the air that the dog associates with food. The dog has no way of knowing it needs to ingest more vitamin B, for example.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

then again, cats go loving nuts for ear wax

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Good Dog posted:

GFs cat slept in his clubhouse I made for him last night, but normally ends up sleeping on the couch while she works.

Phone posting hope those arent huge
that clubhouse fuckin owns

Shifty Pony posted:

dogs just can't resist the kitty almond roca
:drat:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yo whats the calendar status, my wallet is getting hot

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Deteriorata posted:

A nose is about half of that. It can detect chemicals in the air that the dog associates with food. The dog has no way of knowing it needs to ingest more vitamin B, for example.

except pretty much every animal can understand on some level what nutrients they might be missing and get cravings for those types of things

like, that's a basic survival instinct

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Cat won't shut up

Shut up cat!: http://youtu.be/rrxMjzeXRco

Cat broken

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Cat won't shut up

Cat broken

thats a feature

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Goodpancakes posted:

Cat won't shut up

Cat broken

CLOSED: WONTFIX

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can turn the video off. The cat doesn't turn off

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

except pretty much every animal can understand on some level what nutrients they might be missing and get cravings for those types of things

like, that's a basic survival instinct

No they don't. It's an old myth. Cravings have nothing to do with nutrient deficiencies.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/cravings-why-they-strike-what-to-do

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Goodpancakes posted:

You can turn the video off. The cat doesn't turn off

welcome to my life

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

No they don't. It's an old myth. Cravings have nothing to do with nutrient deficiencies.

did you actually look at that research? because as far as i can glean it says that you don't have to be deficient to crave something (i.e., sometimes cravings are driven by other cues), not that deficiencies can't cause cravings. not my area at all, but from what i'm reading atm it seems to be an ongoing argument in the field and webmd saying it's a myth from that research is completely unjustified.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and weirdly enough, the very scientist they cite has an abstract that reads in part "In contrast to a number of other researchers, we found a relationship between dietary restrictions and cravings."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

did you actually look at that research? because as far as i can glean it says that you don't have to be deficient to crave something (i.e., sometimes cravings are driven by other cues), not that deficiencies can't cause cravings. not my area at all, but from what i'm reading atm it seems to be an ongoing argument in the field and webmd saying it's a myth from that research is completely unjustified.

There is no correlation between food cravings and nutritional needs. People short in vitamin C do not crave citrus fruits any more than people with sufficient vitamin C. Emotionally, we want there to be a correlation so that we feel justified in eating that half bag of Oreos (it must have contained some nutrient we needed).

Your body has very little feedback to your brain other than telling you to eat something or to drink.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

idk where you live but how the heck did third shift make its way there

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Goodpancakes posted:

Cat won't shut up

Cat broken

this is a good cat. sing along imo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

There is no correlation between food cravings and nutritional needs. People short in vitamin C do not crave citrus fruits any more than people with sufficient vitamin C. Emotionally, we want there to be a correlation so that we feel justified in eating that half bag of Oreos (it must have contained some nutrient we needed).

Your body has very little feedback to your brain other than telling you to eat something or to drink.

i'm really curious where you're getting this, because you're saying some really strong stuff here with no evidence. what about iron deficiencies and pica?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

dogface craves cat poo poo because it is nutritious AND delicious

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm legit interested in learning about this, btw, because if what i've always heard is bullshit i'd like to know that. the literature i'm looking at seems way more ambiguous than what you're saying though

and i'm legit baffled that there's so little work on it. there's a whole bunch of poo poo about how to control cravings in dieters, but that's not at all the same thing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm really curious where you're getting this, because you're saying some really strong stuff here with no evidence. what about iron deficiencies and pica?

quote:

CONCLUSIONS: (1) The pathogenesis of pica is unclear, although it appears unrelated to the degree of iron deficiency. (2) According to the findings in this series, pica seems a consequence of iron deficiency rather than its cause. (3) Adequate therapy can cure both conditions, although pica may reappear upon relapse of iron deficiency.

Pica does not induce people to eat stuff containing iron. It is a neurological problem that causes people to eat all sorts of non-food items. The odd eating behavior is not a search for iron, it is just a mechanical behavior.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Deteriorata posted:

yeah no one is saying "all cravings are related to nutrition" because obviously there's a lot of reasons to crave poo poo and huge endorphin rushes are a hell of a drug

but there's some evidence to suggest cravings can be triggered by nutritional deficiencies for some nutritional deficiencies

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
this is actually really interesting stuff

trig proves he is a wizard by performing alchemical magic that turns cat poo poo posts into pure gold

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

yeah no one is saying "all cravings are related to nutrition" because obviously there's a lot of reasons to crave poo poo and huge endorphin rushes are a hell of a drug

but there's some evidence to suggest cravings can be triggered by nutritional deficiencies for some nutritional deficiencies

I will agree with that, but there's no way for the craving to be a search for a specific nutrient. A nutritional deficiency may induce you to just eat more food generally, which would cause you to get more of all nutrients, not just the one you're short on.

So your body can tell you to eat, but it can't tell you to eat an apple specifically because you need some nutrient in it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Pica does not induce people to eat stuff containing iron. It is a neurological problem that causes people to eat all sorts of non-food items. The odd eating behavior is not a search for iron, it is just a mechanical behavior.

as a scientist, lemme just say please don't ever cite webmd for anything again.

it looks like you're right about a lot of deficiencies not being associated with nutritional deficiencies which is really interesting. wrt pica, though the evidence seems really strong that iron deficiencies can in fact cause pica. i guess it's an open question whether that's due to the deficiency per se or just because your brain is hosed up due to iron deficiency and one of the side effects of that is pica, but i don't know how you'd even get at that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and i'm seriously interested to learn this, so thanks for bringing it up

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
fwiw here's a bunch of papers about iron and pica

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=pica+deficiency&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=2010

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
weeeeird, compulsive ice chewing is also associated with iron deficiency anemia

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo this is bizarre

quote:

Pagophagia (compulsive ice chewing) has long been associated with iron deficiency anemia, but prior attempts to account for this craving have been unsatisfactory. We hypothesize that chewing ice triggers vascular changes that lead to preferential or increased perfusion of the brain. This would result in increased alertness and processing speed in anemic patients, but not in healthy controls who are already at ceiling, and would explain why anemic individuals crave ice. Preliminary support for this hypothesis was found in two studies. In Study 1, non-anemic subjects reported very low rates of pagophagia (only 4%) while anemic subjects reported significantly higher rates (56%). In Study 2, chewing ice dramatically improved response time on a neuropsychological test, but only for anemic individuals. In a small randomized controlled trial, iron deficient anemic subjects and healthy controls were assigned to chew ice or drink tepid water and then took a continuous performance test that measures response time, response time variability, errors of impulsivity and errors of inattention. In the water condition, anemic subjects performed significantly worse than healthy controls. Chewing ice had no effect on the performance of healthy controls, but significantly improved the performance of anemic patients. Potential explanations include activation of the dive reflex, which would lead to peripheral vasoconstriction and preferential perfusion of the brain or, alternatively, sympathetic nervous system activation, which would also increase blood-flow to the brain.

like even if their hypothesis is bullshit, the data is cray

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

as a scientist, lemme just say please don't ever cite webmd for anything again.

it looks like you're right about a lot of deficiencies not being associated with nutritional deficiencies which is really interesting. wrt pica, though the evidence seems really strong that iron deficiencies can in fact cause pica. i guess it's an open question whether that's due to the deficiency per se or just because your brain is hosed up due to iron deficiency and one of the side effects of that is pica, but i don't know how you'd even get at that

That's the point. Iron deficiency can cause pica, but it's no more meaningful than vitamin D deficiency causing rickets. People with pica ingest all kinds of stuff that has no nutritive value at all, so it's clearly not a search for iron. It's just neurons misfiring.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

graph posted:

idk where you live but how the heck did third shift make its way there

it's a coors product so I imagine rather easily?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

Cat won't shut up

Cat broken
Leland used to play blanket mice, attack my legs, and get the zoomies at around 3AM for the first week or so that he started sleeping on the bed. now he just wakes up at that time and is super affectionate and vocal. all he wants to do is wake you up, meow loudly, rub around on your head and face, and have his belly rubbed. it's annoying as poo poo but i have a hard time telling him no or kicking him out when he's not being malicious

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

That's the point. Iron deficiency can cause pica, but it's no more meaningful than vitamin D deficiency causing rickets. People with pica ingest all kinds of stuff that has no nutritive value at all, so it's clearly not a search for iron. It's just neurons misfiring.

do you know a study that actually demonstrates that? because i dont' know how you'd actually test it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

devmd01 posted:

it's a coors product

wtf the label when a buddy got it said it was brewed in ohio

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

graph posted:

wtf the label when a buddy got it said it was brewed in ohio
devmd01 lives in pawnee, indiana

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh hey i just learned about rapunzel syndrome and saw a picture and i think i may be done looking at papers about dietary problems now :barf:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

but yeah it's owned by Coors

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

do you know a study that actually demonstrates that? because i dont' know how you'd actually test it

You would test it by seeing if people with pica are driven to consume iron-containing foods. If pica was a response by the body to cure the anemia, this association should exist.

It does not. People with pica ingest all kinds of crazy stuff, much of which contains no iron at all, that has nothing to do with curing their anemia. Thus the hypothesis fails.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

You would test it by seeing if people with pica are driven to consume iron-containing foods. If pica was a response by the body to cure the anemia, this association should exist.

It does not. People with pica ingest all kinds of crazy stuff, much of which contains no iron at all, that has nothing to do with curing their anemia. Thus the hypothesis fails.

but there are multiple causes of pica, have people shown experimentally that iron deficient picanauts (or whatever they're called) don't prefer iron-containing stuff? if so, it's interesting to me that there's still so much literature that assumes a relationship. seems like a paradigm with clutch problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh poo poo 50 some posts in an hour let me check what happened.

cat poo poo happened

you're all actually poo poo posting