Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

osirisisdead posted:

The N2 NCA Sectorial can drop 5 Thermoptic Camoflage models on the table, 2 Swiss Guard, and 3 Hexas agents. It's mean.
Not to mention that it's also a lot easier to disguise which is which now as the Swiss are up to MOV 4-4 to keep up with the Hexas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ah, right. Thanks!

sort-of offtopic, but where would I go for hexagonal base decorations? Customeeple has some, but those seem to be more for display stands.

http://www.sarissa-precision.com/10mm_Hexagonal_Base_Pack/p1603368_13112782.aspx

Thats 10mm flat to flat.

As seen below.

ThreeLefts fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 30, 2014

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I really need to pull my finger out and mold up the hex bases and other styles of bases I have made. I could be making cash off my designs and be funding my hobby at the same time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Dude, tables.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That's a nice Brethren right there...

Anyways, plunge taken, waiting for GF to confirm when she gets minis.

Constantly thinking about getting pirates or something for basic list sprucing.

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Dude, tables.

Dude what?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ThreeLefts posted:

Dude what?
Resize or timg your image, it's breaking forum tables.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm eagerly hoping for the new profiles myself, I've signed up for a tournament on Jan24th that has said the only allowable units are the ones available in N3 books/PDFs.

As an ALEPH/JSA player, that means at 400pts I can field... Sun Tze.

This is the biggest tournament in my country. :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
You can't contact the TO and show them why that is a bad idea?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm eagerly hoping for the new profiles myself, I've signed up for a tournament on Jan24th that has said the only allowable units are the ones available in N3 books/PDFs.

That is retarded. I think sticking just to N2 profiles is probably the safest option now for everyone. If anything just for list printing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well Twitter-via-forum-translation seems to strongly suggest that the unit .pdfs are almost done - as in, we'll probably see them within the next few days. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Unless the TO specifically meant "N3 book only" rather than "N3 pdfs," in which case you ought to give him a rather stiff talking to because what the gently caress.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Played my first full, real game of infinity today. Grenades hurt. That is all.

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

I for one welcome our new Wulver Overlords. Climbing Plus, 2 Wounds and Grenades..I feel your pain.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

They're probably assuming the PDFs will be out by then, which seems like a reasonable guess at this point.

There's basically no other choice right now except to say, "We're just playing N2 as N3 is unfinished."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just watched a game between two of our players while waiting on our Infinity posse to turn up tonight and witnessed our ASA player hit Loss of Lieutenant turn 2 (going first).

His Lt was a Montesa Lt which on his opponents first turn fired a marker approx 19 inches and hit him with a Program: Oblivion that went through. Needless to say he didn't do too well that game because his turn two went to poo poo. His verdict was Fairy Dust is absolutely mandatory now that hacking is a thing in N3. :allears:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The bad news is that something went wrong and I didn't get on my FLGS' pre-order list for N3 after all. The good news is that they had a single copy in their shipment that wasn't already spoken for.

Or maybe that's the real bad news, because drat that book was expensive.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

The bad news is that something went wrong and I didn't get on my FLGS' pre-order list for N3 after all. The good news is that they had a single copy in their shipment that wasn't already spoken for.

Or maybe that's the real bad news, because drat that book was expensive.
But it was so, so worth though, wasn't it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Rumors en espanol from V on Twitter are that the PDFs may drop tomorrow.

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

I am interested to see if these pdf's will include N3 version of the rules not present in the Corebook, even if unchanged. For example Holoprojector formatted N3 style.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

JoshTheStampede posted:

"may" being the operative word here.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Flipswitch posted:

But it was so, so worth though, wasn't it?

Reading through the fluff book, I have to say... yes. I'm impressed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Reading through the fluff book, I have to say... yes. I'm impressed.
Have you spotted the shutterstock(?) watermark on the HaqqIslam double page spread art yet?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Flipswitch posted:

Have you spotted the shutterstock(?) watermark on the HaqqIslam double page spread art yet?

No.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You won't unsee it now. Enjoy!

JoshTheStampede posted:

This seems a bit hopeful. I'd be very surprised to see it this early.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Well, the "Christmas Surprise" never materialized, so I could see it coming soon.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Flipswitch posted:

You won't unsee it now. Enjoy!

Took another look. One of three things is true:

a) You're BSing me.
b) We're thinking of difference pieces of art.
c) Some books were printed with different source files.

e: Aha! Found it. It's a billboard in the seam of the binding. That's... kind of funny? I'd actually seen the thread about it, but I was expecting something much more obvious.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pg 86-87. It's right in the middle, behind Go-Go Marlene's(?) flying bot. Under its ear in the middle of the page divide.

It's more the case that its there than anything in particular. :) Made me kind of go "wtf" at it when I realised what the watermark was.

Signal posted:

Well, the "Christmas Surprise" never materialized, so I could see it coming soon.
They've only just returned to work. So we'll see what happens if we get anything from this end.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, that Govad really reminds me of an elf.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So apparently we are on the cusp of getting some updated profiles via PDF. Apparently the chap (either a CB employee or the guy who makes the official army builder?) was putting updates on twitter today saying how close x and y was to completion.

I introduced 2 friends to infinity last night. Both competent warhammer 40k players, and one of them just introduced me to x-wing as well. I just went over the core concept of FtF rolls, order activation and aros. Then I let them play with 6 kazaks vs 6 morat vanguard. No retreat or lieutenants, I did introduce guts rolls though. Following this experience I told them both to go back and read the basic section of the rulebook. It should make more sense to them now they can visualise how it all works. My biggest problem was trying to answer questions about the game as a whole, without overwhelming them with new info. I mean Infinity just has so many god drat options. The possible permutations of very basic actions once you get into camo, visors, smoke, hacking etc is hard to take in, and while I can't overwhelm new players, it is also almost a dishonest portrayal of the game to just use plain rifle line infantry.

So for the next game, after going over what they have learned, etc. I thought I would help them set up a game properly (lieutenants, rolling deployment etc) with basic starter lists. And that's when I tried to make them out of the N3 book and realised my mate's new Ariadna starter set (yes, the one that came out years and years ago) isn't fully covered by the new book. How many profiles got removed? Chasseurs and Scots greys must have been in the original rulebook or they wouldn't be in the starter set! loving frustrating. I know the updates will be available online soon, but still.

I just wish so badly they'd updated all the rules to 3rd edition in one go. Nil desperandum, once HS is updated all will be well. I suppose if you're a Tohaa player you've a bit longer to wait . . .

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah I think they really dropped the ball with this. It made no sense whatsoever to not have all the information together in one pack. In fact, I would have preferred that they waited and got everything sorted all at once and then released it. Oh, and have had a pre-done version of the book and slipcase so they'd be able to figure out that they don't fit in there properly.

I also think releasing the PDF of the rulebook quickly was also a mistake, as a lot of people cancelled their pre-orders, making a lot of retailers angry about having bought them in, only to not have them sell.

The problem is now I have a rulebook which won't have all the information I need on hand, and will require extra printed out sheets or the like to have it be fully correct, and that's annoying. I feel a little let down by the release to be honest, but I am enjoying the fluff and all. The new unit profiles are quite cool though, especially the tactical bow, that will be interesting :D

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I agree that the content of the rules is tip-top, they have changed what was wonky or potentially unfun and maintained an excellent balance, introducing a couple little points which I'm sure will only add to the game. New profiles are all really exciting stuff too. It's just what's NOT in the book that we are complaining about.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Dude working on the PDFs apparently didn't finish them and went on vacation for two weeks.

Every single American I've told the story to has finished my sentence. I say: "Well, enjoy your vacation and..." and they finish "... don't bother coming back".

I'm not sure these guys are cut out to do business in America.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd rather wait and have rested, post-two-weeks-of-vacation work that will be the standard for the game for the next five-plus years than rushed, pissed-off-that-I-had-to-delay-or-cancel-my-holiday work that will be the standard for the game for the next five-plus years.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I think the guy working on the PDF's wouldn't have been working to include them in the new book. We were told way back when (apparently, I didn't notice myself) that the new rulebook would be replacing the old one, not that and Paradiso or Human Sphere. So I am guessing this dude was just organising to send out the extra material. As for him going on vacation? It's Christmas and New Years, and possibly this guy had a pre-planned holiday, or didn't want to spend time away from his family. I am not going to fault him for that.

CB though really did need to think about how they were going to present this book, that's where the major falling down has happened imho. It really needed to be an 'all-in-one' release to gain maximum traction and they kind of fluffed it.

Rules will be out soonish anyway so it's not a problem, and the Army builder will be available so we can pour over things there and decide on what profiles we like most. For me I've now come back around to some Ariadna unit types I didn't see much use in before. Zouave with HMG is going to be fantastic both offensively and defensively, especially in Suppressive Fire mode and Dug In (-3 to be hit for Mimetism, -3 for Cover, -3 for Prone, -3 for Suppressive Fire!). Them and the T2 X-visor option of the Mormaer with Suppressive Fire (shoots with no penalty out to 24", 8 armour whilst in cover, and Dogged :) ), as well as the Vet Kazak with the same loadout but V:NWI and SS2. These are going to be hard units to shift, giving me a fixed position that the rest of my units can rely on whilst they flank or maneuver to reach objectives or attack vulnerable units. Having one or two of these guys cover a set of objectives will be fantastic, as it means they have to be removed before the enemy can contemplate trying to take the objective for themselves, which isn't always easy.

Overall, I really like some of the new changes in the book. Looking forward to getting the rest soon!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

osirisisdead posted:

I'd rather wait and have rested, post-two-weeks-of-vacation work that will be the standard for the game for the next five-plus years than rushed, pissed-off-that-I-had-to-delay-or-cancel-my-holiday work that will be the standard for the game for the next five-plus years.

They are not being sent to the printer, so that is a false choice.

You can have both an "oh gently caress, If I want to go on vacation but I'm going to blow my deadline then I need to produce a workable interim solution" and a "finished product" version.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. That's a terrible idea for a lot of reasons.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

Rules will be out soonish anyway so it's not a problem, and the Army builder will be available so we can pour over things there and decide on what profiles we like most. For me I've now come back around to some Ariadna unit types I didn't see much use in before. Zouave with HMG is going to be fantastic both offensively and defensively, especially in Suppressive Fire mode and Dug In (-3 to be hit for Mimetism, -3 for Cover, -3 for Prone, -3 for Suppressive Fire!). Them and the T2 X-visor option of the Mormaer with Suppressive Fire (shoots with no penalty out to 24", 8 armour whilst in cover, and Dogged :) ), as well as the Vet Kazak with the same loadout but V:NWI and SS2. These are going to be hard units to shift, giving me a fixed position that the rest of my units can rely on whilst they flank or maneuver to reach objectives or attack vulnerable units. Having one or two of these guys cover a set of objectives will be fantastic, as it means they have to be removed before the enemy can contemplate trying to take the objective for themselves, which isn't always easy.

This is good thinking and those will be excellent units for suppression, but you are adding an extra -3 to the zouave - there is no intrinsic bonus from being prone.

EDIT: Bostria, who for any newcomers is one of 2-3 guys who can claim to be the lead designer of the game, has said on twitter or somesuch that he is aiming to release new profiles on the 6-8 Jan.

Obviously we would all like them now, but it isn't such a long wait in the scheme of things.

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 1, 2015

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Crap, yeah I added a -3 which shouldn't have been there, my mistake! But -9 to be hit is nothing to sneeze at, and with him also getting partial cover in all directions and V: Courage once he's dug in to the foxhole makes him still quite hard to shift. So on your turn you can use him to go aggressive with the HMG if you want, and then place him in position, dug in and with Suppressive Fire to hold ground. Makes them a lot more flexible than they were previously.

Could do much the same with a Vet Kazak with AP rifle and mimetism, but at a higher price. Just as hard to move though, though no 360 cover.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 1, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak (and our vanilla CA players by extension), whats your view on the Unidron Batroids mate?

My buddy is picking up the game with Combined and the new starter and wanted to know how they stood up to the faction competition for LI. My opinion on CA isn't the most informed (I know the basics) but to me they look pretty respectable. Some average stats, bit low on the PH but have good weapon load outs as REMs. BTS value is nice against hacking and special weapons and V: Dogged is nice. If I'm reading the G: Autotool rule correctly that seems pretty nifty.

He's a fairly competitively minded player (we both play WMH together in tournaments) so he's trying to rate them vs the Morats as what to focus on when expanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I want to take a Plasma Sniper Batroid along with a hacker, then use the latter to give the former Marksmanship L2. :getin:

• Locked thread