Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

fatherboxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-AhrJuYxP4

Here is an event from earlier this year, a group of muslims in Moscow takes one of the activists out from the police bus. They did not left their own guy to be taken away so they could have a reason for another crybaby post in facebook.
Ukrainian events have shown that the riot cops on post-Soviet space are cowards who poo poo their pants when they meet an actual resistance from a crowd. Hell, any football riot would show you that.
"Liberal opposition" in Russia is loving joke, their efforts make Occupy look like October of 1917.

My god. I have no words to this. That could have ended very bad for everyone but didn't. It is both saddening and scary that the current protest has no such mass. People getting hurt is not a good thing. Especially good people. But looking at the current protests, the critical mass can only be done by police doing something very stupid or some government official making a bad decision. Which is probably one of the reasons that it is pretty quiet. Nothing does anything, the protest disperses.
However the idiots with the st George ribbons look like rangers of apocalypse spouting poo poo like "Be afraid USA..."

Fake edit: Seems a lot of cops being brought into the square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here comes OMON train. Choo choo!

e: Ouch, that poor bastard got messed up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like several dozens of OMON have entered the crowd and started separating the crowd.

Edit: Seems like two groups of activists are confronting each other, lawkeepers seem :lol: on the side.

Edit2: I like how neither of groups is able to form coherent chant that would sound like at least 1/10 of their population.

Edit3: Also I think something is wrong with me, because of all comments in YouTube chat I managed to pick out "Skyrim for nords!" :v:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 30, 2014

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

So how much do you reckon is spent on PR for Putin? Going off some quickly searched articles it might be ~4mil a year paid by the Russian government to make Putin look as good as possible. Probably doesn't count his personal staff that follows him around snapping 1000s of pics for the one or two good ones.

Is that strange? What other governments do that specifically for their head of state besides North Korea?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Woops, looks like OMON battalion.

Also, I don't even have a remote idea on spendings to make Putin look good. I've never actually thought about it. Though probably it's common for a lot of states, depending on the degree though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What are those two guys in the middle doing?

e: Ooooh, they're chanting Maidan
e2: And now Navalny
e3: Someone just took a selfie with a riot cop :lol:

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 30, 2014

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

my dad posted:

What are those two guys in the middle doing?

e: Ooooh, they're chanting Maidan
e2: And now Navalny

The NOD guys were chanting "Maidan nepraidiot" which is basically "Maidan shall not pass".

The nod peeps are from here

Edit: The sweep has begun

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guys in middle tried to decided if they want to fight or not.
A wild OMON battalion appears.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Karmalis posted:

The NOD guys were chanting "Maidan nepraidiot" which is basically "Maidan shall not pass".

The nod peeps are from here

Oh. Well, that explains a lot.

OK, looks like someone is trying to talk to the police leader (I think?).

e: Some woman is screaming a lot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Karmalis posted:

However the idiots with the st George ribbons look like rangers of apocalypse spouting poo poo like "Be afraid USA..."

Well, they are there to beat people up, not for intelligent dialog.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

e: Some woman is screaming a lot.
Navalny's supporters, allegedly, overreacting to police.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maaan, that's alotta cop.

I see a flare.
e: It was just a very bright gadget.
e2: What's the police announcer saying? It's too muffled for my lovely Russian.

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 30, 2014

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

Well so ends the protest. Seems that people are being pushed towards metro stations so they could "easily go home".

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
With a whimper...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Well poo poo, looks like I picked the wrong time to get an oil change for my car. Mechanic had lovely wifi anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

e3: Someone just took a selfie with a riot cop :lol:
Millennial protest culture :allears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Looks like someone at the exchange office in Minsk is having trouble keeping up with the exchange rate.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Looks like someone at the exchange office in Minsk is having trouble keeping up with the exchange rate.

Not a bad price for pi.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
!!!

Tainen fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 31, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

The cia told him to shoot protesters?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

The cia told him to shoot protesters?

That does sound like something the CIA would do.

Also the FSB.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

As a leftist, get bent.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

http://youtu.be/aDTwO0TlwOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't understand what any of these words mean except that somehow the CIA is involved :confuoot:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What was really awful about rewatching the Wild Palms miniseries that he produced, outside of the '90s infatuation with virtual reality, was the bit where he appears on a talk show where the host congratulates Stone on being right about the JFK assassination after the files were released and what he would say to his critics in the then-future year of 2007.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

So incompetent Russia was tricked into invading by the willy machinations of the CIA? People are pulling out every excuse in the book in an attempt to absolve Russia of any criticism for annexing a portion of it's neighbor.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So incompetent Russia was tricked into invading by the willy machinations of the CIA? People are pulling out every excuse in the book in an attempt to absolve Russia of any criticism for annexing a portion of it's neighbor.

The CIA couldn't machinate its way out of a paper bag.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oliver Stone is a loving loon.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Stone, regrettably, falls roughly into the camp of "People who think that because America has done lovely things, that anybody America dislikes must be doing something right." What's ironic and sad is that he is outspoken about how he disapproves of American meddling in Latin American politics, but apparently supports Russian meddling in East European politics. They're roughly the same thing - puppet governments propped up by violence and fear and supported from abroad by a powerful state.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Cuntpunch posted:

Stone, regrettably, falls roughly into the camp of "People who think that because America has done lovely things, that anybody America dislikes must be doing something right." What's ironic and sad is that he is outspoken about how he disapproves of American meddling in Latin American politics, but apparently supports Russian meddling in East European politics. They're roughly the same thing - puppet governments propped up by violence and fear and supported from abroad by a powerful state.

Same loving thing happened around Yugoslavia.

They were so entrenched to show how this was a NATO conquest they ended up denying genocide and ignoring Serbian actions.

They became a big hit amongst Serbian far right.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

They can certainly machinate people into wet paper bags.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cuntpunch posted:

That and some people just root for the underdog by default. America is the dominant power so anything that challenges it must be good - no need to define what exactly the alternative would be and how it would be preferable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is even worse for people who are disgusted by both.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

The cia are officially sanctioned goverment sociopaths and I wouldn't put anything past them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

drilldo squirt posted:

The cia are officially sanctioned goverment sociopaths and I wouldn't put anything past them.

Neither would I. But covertly manipulating the character of Ukraine's opposition doesn't seem like something they'd be good at.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the clearest cut argument to make is: it doesn't matter what the CIA was planning, since it is clear the public at large had enough of Yanukovych and the protests were far too broad to have been made up. Denying EU association really pissed Ukrainians, largely as a whole, off.

The CIA and the IMF are something else, but the Ukrainians made their own choice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Neither would I. But covertly manipulating the character of Ukraine's opposition doesn't seem like something they'd be good at.

I think the info released from the torture documents mostly indicates that the CIA is a bunch of sociopathic morons who not only encourage harming innocent people even if it's proven not to work, but will lie their asses off to ensure continued funding and lower scrutiny.

A lot of conspiracy theorists like to pretend that they're covertly controlling the world, but most available info suggests that they're less Illuminati and more Bad Corporation.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the info released from the torture documents mostly indicates that the CIA is a bunch of sociopathic morons who not only encourage harming innocent people even if it's proven not to work, but will lie their asses off to ensure continued funding and lower scrutiny.

A lot of conspiracy theorists like to pretend that they're covertly controlling the world, but most available info suggests that they're less Illuminati and more Bad Corporation.

You posted a lot of words that are rather confusing. I don't see how the CIA torture documents have anything to do with Euromaidan. I'm also pretty sure conspiracy theorists aren't controlling much of anything, and Adam Weishaupt wasn't nearly as powerful as the comic books want you to believe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

You posted a lot of words that are rather confusing. I don't see how the CIA torture documents have anything to do with Euromaidan. I'm also pretty sure conspiracy theorists aren't controlling much of anything, and Adam Weishaupt wasn't nearly as powerful as the comic books want you to believe.

I meant the conspiracy theorists think the CIA is controlling the world.

My point behind the torture documents is that they give great insight into exactly how the CIA operates, and the answer is that they're not only incompetent but also lie about their competency so they can keep everything running how they like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I meant the conspiracy theorists think the CIA is controlling the world.

My point behind the torture documents is that they give great insight into exactly how the CIA operates, and the answer is that they're not only incompetent but also lie about their competency so they can keep everything running how they like it.

So they're incompetent, but still criminally genius enough to covertly stage an uprising in Ukraine?

• Locked thread