Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

PardonMeHippo posted:

I'm looking for some new headphones for work. I was thinking IEMs would be the way to go, since I'm around loud machines for a lot of the day so I already wear earplugs most of the time. Open headphones don't work because I have to turn them up way too loud.

Budget: $150 or lower
Source: iphone
Isolation Requirements: high
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance: balanced
Past Headphones: I'm using some Koss portapros at work right now, they're good budget ones but don't fit my needs. I have Grado SR-60s at home that I really like.
Preferred Music: mostly metal, other rock

Maybe the budget is overkill for mp3s in a loud environment, but I'm willing to pay for build and sound quality.
Thanks for your input!

Ok, right now I'm looking at the Vsonic GR07 and the Etymotic HF5. From reviews it seems like I might enjoy the sound of the GR07 better than the HF5. I do like the high isolation rating of the HF5 though, but some people complain about the fit. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Budget - ~$50, maybe up to 75 if the upgrade is worth it
Source - PC; do I need to be more specific?
Isolation Requirements - None, home use
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear Open
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure? Probably balanced
Past Headphones - I used Sony MDRxxx IEMs for years; they were good for isolation, but I don't want in-ear monitors anymore. I also have some Senheiser PX200 that I really like, but are falling apart so I use them for outside / lawn work now. Currently I'm using a Plantronics headset that are uncomfortable and not all that great.
Preferred Music - I generally use a receiver and speakers for music; these headphones will be for gaming and videos when I can't use speakers.

I'm looking at a Superlux HD681, which are only $32 on Amazon right now. The Superlux HD668 are $42, so if those are much better I'd spring for those. I was looking at a AKG K240 on a goon recommendation, but was thinking twice about it because I'll need to buy a desktop microphone as well.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

PardonMeHippo posted:

Ok, right now I'm looking at the Vsonic GR07 and the Etymotic HF5. From reviews it seems like I might enjoy the sound of the GR07 better than the HF5. I do like the high isolation rating of the HF5 though, but some people complain about the fit. Any thoughts?

As someone who owns the GR07 I have a few frustrations with them. Finding replacement tips that actually fit well is a bit of a pain. Also, the sibilance is incredibly fatiguing. I'm using Mk2s, though, so I'm not sure if they've improved that at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

absolem posted:

Also keep in mind the k7xx which is just the newest iteration of the the AKG and the Fidelio x2 ($300) which tyll recommends over the hd600
K7XX is a Massdrop exclusive AFAIK.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Josh Lyman posted:

K7XX is a Massdrop exclusive AFAIK.

It is, but if you don't mind ship times it should be the best version

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

CloFan posted:

Budget - ~$50, maybe up to 75 if the upgrade is worth it
Source - PC; do I need to be more specific?
Isolation Requirements - None, home use
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear Open
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure? Probably balanced
Past Headphones - I used Sony MDRxxx IEMs for years; they were good for isolation, but I don't want in-ear monitors anymore. I also have some Senheiser PX200 that I really like, but are falling apart so I use them for outside / lawn work now. Currently I'm using a Plantronics headset that are uncomfortable and not all that great.
Preferred Music - I generally use a receiver and speakers for music; these headphones will be for gaming and videos when I can't use speakers.

I'm looking at a Superlux HD681, which are only $32 on Amazon right now. The Superlux HD668 are $42, so if those are much better I'd spring for those. I was looking at a AKG K240 on a goon recommendation, but was thinking twice about it because I'll need to buy a desktop microphone as well.

I haven't heard them, but Midorka seems to think these hit way over their price and while not open seem to hit what you want. Maybe he can chime up some more on them.

Midorka posted:

Okay dudes, starting the hype machine now: Limitless Creations HP3BK. NVX sent me them today, they're the sister company of NVX. I threw these on about 30 minutes ago and haven't wanted to remove them. Without knowing the MSRP I suspected around $120+ and was drat near spot on. So these sound like $120 headphones and are $130 headphones, but are retailing for $40 right now.

The sound has a slight mid-bass hump with a slight scoop out of the mids with mellow highs. Not rolled off, just not accented. The sound reminds me a bit of the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 from memory. I have my XPT100 I will do a comparison to later, but for $40 these are worth every penny and more. I don't know how long the deal is going to last but for $40 you're getting a hell of a deal.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Budget: $100 or lower
Source: ipod nano / iphone 4
Preferred Type of Headphone: full size
Past Headphones: Earbuds that came with the ipod, cheap IEMs, and once I listened to music on a set of Beats and I was like 'woah'.
Preferred Music: Rock/Folk/Electronic

I have a giftcard so I'd like to stick to options I can get at my local Future Shop. Are these any good: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...a258663e299en02

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Budget: $100 or lower
Source: ipod nano / iphone 4
Preferred Type of Headphone: full size
Past Headphones: Earbuds that came with the ipod, cheap IEMs, and once I listened to music on a set of Beats and I was like 'woah'.
Preferred Music: Rock/Folk/Electronic

I have a giftcard so I'd like to stick to options I can get at my local Future Shop. Are these any good: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...a258663e299en02

I've haven't heard them, but I have heard that these are pretty good for the price.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Budget: 150-200
Source: Android Phone or iPod
Type: IEM
Isolation: High
Tonal Balance: Balanced
Preferred Music: Rock, Ambient, Chillwave, Psychedelic

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: I'm actually considering full sized headphones instead, everything else should be the same.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 4, 2015

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Retarded Pimp posted:

I've haven't heard them, but I have heard that these are pretty good for the price.

Those do look nice, thank you!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Elderbean posted:

Budget: 125-175

Klipsch X11, Rock-It R50, Vsonic VC1000 & GR07 Bass Edition, Etymotic HF5(may be too bass light for chillwave). Really though, just check out this link, sort by price and make a better informed choice.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Budget - Under $125
Source - PC/Phone
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure?
Past Headphones - None, I have tried over ear headphones in the past and had to return them due to the clamping giving me a headache. I recently tried my friend's Bose QuietComfort 25, and they felt great. I would like something that I can wear for long periods of time, so comfort is important to me.
Preferred Music - Adult contemporary.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
My little brother is looking to pick up his first set of nice headphones and I'm trying to steer him away from being a Beats idiot. He's looking for wireless, over the ear ones (he has bigger ears so on-ear can be painful).

Budget: $200 or lower 
Source: iphone/ipod
Isolation Requirements: medium to high
Preferred Type of Headphone: Wireless Over the ear.
Past Headphones: Cheap earbuds
Preferred Music: Hip/hop and rock

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Linco posted:

Budget - Under $125
Source - PC/Phone
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure?
Past Headphones - None, I have tried over ear headphones in the past and had to return them due to the clamping giving me a headache. I recently tried my friend's Bose QuietComfort 25, and they felt great. I would like something that I can wear for long periods of time, so comfort is important to me.
Preferred Music - Adult contemporary.

NVX XPT100 comes to mind.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

My little brother is looking to pick up his first set of nice headphones and I'm trying to steer him away from being a Beats idiot. He's looking for wireless, over the ear ones (he has bigger ears so on-ear can be painful).

Budget: $200 or lower 
Source: iphone/ipod
Isolation Requirements: medium to high
Preferred Type of Headphone: Wireless Over the ear.
Past Headphones: Cheap earbuds
Preferred Music: Hip/hop and rock

If he wouldn't mind cabled headphones then something like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II would be something to consider, or the Focal Spirit One S, though the Spirit One S are slightly out of budget. If he wants wireless then he should probably increase his budget and look at the Beats Solo 2 Bluetooth.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Budget: ~£40 or lower (flexible but I don't want to be spending a shitload on earphones that have a higher than average chance of loss or damage)
Source: iphone
Isolation Requirements: Medium
Preferred Type of Headphone: Earbuds/IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced
Past Headphones: Audio Technica M50/AD700 at home (too large/expensive for outdoor/phone use). Apple Earpods (sounded... OK to me, very comfortable w/ remote but kinda poor build quality) Meelectronics M9 (good sound, good build quality, no remote)
Preferred Music: Hip-Hop/Electronic/Podcasts
Misc: Need a 3 button iphone remote/mic - after using the earpods for the last few months prior to the inevitable breakage I got used to it and now cannot live without one. Have a marginal preference for earbuds over IEMs simply because I found the earpods very comfortable and snug in my ears.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Budget - $300
Source - Marantz receiver SR7005; 1/4" headphone jack and optical out both available
Isolation Requirements - Not required
Preferred Type of Headphone - full size
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy
Past "Headphones" - I use a set of Pinnacle speakers, "S-fit" series, and a "PS Sub 225" 12 inch subwoofer. The subwoofer was causing problems with the landlord, so I'm basically trying to replicate that experience as much as possible. I want bass in my life without checking over my shoulder. Also looking for whatever the most advanced surround headphone technology is. I've always been skeptical, but I've gotten spoiled by my full-size 7.1 setup, so now I'm trying to figure out what's for real and what is simple marketing spin. I know my receiver has "Dolby Headphone," so there's that.
Preferred Music - blu-ray movies and video games

I'm not a like an extreme audiophile, but I've gotten accustomed to a good receiver with good speakers. Willing to pay for headphones that still let me reap the benefits of a quality receiver. Not doing much critical music listening; mainly interested in movies and gaming with generous bass, and surround capabilities (however that works). Thanks for this resource, OP and posters. :)

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Midorka posted:

NVX XPT100 comes to mind.

Just wanted to chime in, this is a great option, especially for people with clamp-force issues. I wear glasses with pretty thick frames which makes my ears very sensitive to heavy clamping and I wear these 5-8 hours a day at work. Sometimes I need to take a break because it gets a bit warm under them, but I never have an issue with clamp force. It's a nice bonus that they sound great, too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Budget - £50
Source - Amazon UK
Isolation Requirements - No.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear or on-ear. Not in-ear. Bluetooth.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Overall balance.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser
Preferred Music - These are predominantly for listening to TV shows/movies on my Nexus 7.

Are these Bluedio HT(Shooting Brake) wireless bluetooth 4.1 stereo headphones any good? They get variable reviews.

What about these Philips SHB7000/10?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I'm totally confused. I had a problem with a Sennheiser headset that I posted about a while back. They kept telling me that they were going to send me back an MM 550-X when what I sent them was a MM 500-X. The difference being the 550 has SRS and noise cancelling and the 500 doesn't. I chalked it up to a misunderstanding or a typo or whatever. What I got back was a 500-X with a 550-X sticker in a new case. Now I'm just confused. Do they have a stock of fake products sitting around that they send? Did they try to trick me for some reason? Is it a fake? So many questions and no answers....

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Budget - $350AUD (around $250-350 USD)
Source - Ipad/iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balance but with good sub-bass
Past Headphones - Sennheisers, Klipsch S4i
Preferred Music- Rock, Metal, Stoner/Doom, some Electronic (not much)

Ideally I would like Bluetooth but as I already have some decent yet incredibly cheap BT headphones I am cool with these being wired. Low-clamping force and fabric ear pads seem to be suitable as vinyl makes my ears hot.

I like the fit of my Astro A40 gaming headset, if that is comparable to anything on the market.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

quote:

Budget - Up to $150AUD from JB Hi Fi (https://www.jbhifi.com.au)
Source - Ipad, Note3, computer (have an ASUS Xonar, don't think this will really matter though?)
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like bass, but I don't really care, as long as it's not terribly washed out.
Past Headphones - Turtle beach X41's, iPhone headphones and have a set of Corsair SP2500 speakers.
Preferred Music - top 40 (lol) and gaming.

Hey goons, I'm looking for a set of head phones as I'm moving back home for a couple months and unfortunately I can't use my current speakers.

I was hoping to buy from JB as I have a voucher for about $100 there. I was looking at a pair of Sony MDR-ZX600 or Sennheiser HD429's? I currently have a Turtle Beach X41 headset, which I like the sound of, but hate wearing (I don't like the way they feel on my ear, they feel too tight).

Any advice would be extremely appreciated :).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've poked around links in the OP and it looks like Philips "Fidelio" X2 might fit my needs. I wanna get good sound out of blu-ray movies and video games - open, airy, and fairly bassy (to simulate the taste of my spacious home theater room when I can't really use it). Anyone have experience with the X2?

Also, what's the best way to shop for something like this? It looks like Amazon is my only real option here. Didn't see an X2 on Best Buy or Crutchfield.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Budget: 150-200

Update: I'm actually considering full sized headphones instead, everything else should be the same.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Sennheiser 598 would be a good choice: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/r

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Except those don't have any isolation.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

KillHour posted:

Except those don't have any isolation.
I'm going to be nice despite my recent bad experience with Sennheiser and recommend the HD 380 Pros - I had the 597's and they broke after about a year - started rattling when at a decent volume. The 380 Pro's are simply amazing and I have no idea what they're doing at the price point they're at now. I paid ~$300 for mine in Korea a couple of years ago and at the price they're at now (~$110 or so) I'm tempted to buy a thousand dollars worth of them so I never have to buy headphones again. They're really great.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
General question - I'm reading a lot of headphone reviews that mention amp requirements. Is that pretty much a non-factor if you'll be hooking up the phones directly to a receiver? Or would I actually need an AVR + Heaphone Amp combo to make a lot of these sound good?

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Minidust posted:

General question - I'm reading a lot of headphone reviews that mention amp requirements. Is that pretty much a non-factor if you'll be hooking up the phones directly to a receiver? Or would I actually need an AVR + Heaphone Amp combo to make a lot of these sound good?

AVRs tend to have mediocre headphone outputs, but unless you have kilobuck headphones it's probably not worth having a different amp.

Jabel
Aug 5, 2006

Three little letters, 300 Horsepower
Budget - $300-400
Source - IPhone/IPad/Laptop
Isolation Requirements - Closed
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Apple Earbuds
Preferred Music - Alternative/electronic/chiptune

I know pretty much nothing about head phones but have recently started a 40 minute public transit commute and want something a little nicer then my Apple earbuds to zone out with. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Audio Technicas and Sennheisers, should I be looking into those? Thanks for your input guys!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Sanity check on purchasing a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD 700s at 75% of list price, for the following purpose:

Source - PC connected to a Schiit Modi + Schiit Vali
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Current Headphones - Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm

Main use will be for gaming with the Oculus Rift, watching TV, and listening to mostly classical and rock music. I intend to connect a seat rumbler to my chair.

Yea/nay/wtf?

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Welmu posted:

Sanity check on purchasing a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD 700s at 75% of list price, for the following purpose:

Source - PC connected to a Schiit Modi + Schiit Vali
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Current Headphones - Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm

Main use will be for gaming with the Oculus Rift, watching TV, and listening to mostly classical and rock music. I intend to connect a seat rumbler to my chair.

Yea/nay/wtf?

If you know you like the way they sound, go for it. They aren't bad, just unpopular for being kind of weird and not a good value

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you are buying these just for the "discount", make sure to check out CamelCamelCamel (if Amazon) or other popular marketplaces to make sure the lower price is actually real. No reason to feel compelled to buy them if the discount is fake. As an Amazon seller for years now, I can tell you that almost every single listing discount you see is made up. You are really just shopping at this store:

If you love classical like I do, you might want to just save up and get a pair of used 800s for ~$1.2k on Amazon (which is what I did) or $1k-1.1k on Head-Fi, etc.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
We sell headphones at work and the 75% price point comes from employee discount. Since both the 700HD and 800HD are available for testing in a little listening lounge I'll try both out - I'm guesstimating the 800s will cost 950-1050$ brand new which is basically twice the price of the 700s.

Both of them will undoubtedly sound fantastic for music, but as I said, playing vidjagames on the Oculus Rift will likely end up being their main purpose and I'm not entirely sure that's the best use for thousand dollar high.end headphones. The thought of listening to the Vienna New Year Concert on them, however, makes my ears quiver with glee.

Whichever I end up purchasing, will my 120$ amp cut it? I'm considering just forgetting about tubes and getting a Magni 2, or, if the difference is notable and I have some cash to spare, upgrading to an Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 8, 2015

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I bought HD700s a month or so back when they were $350 from sennheiser and havent regretted it for a second (upgrading from DT880s). The Magni/Modi stack provide plenty of power.

It's also worth noting that the one ding against them that comes up is some uneven treble peaks, however those can be EQed out in windows at the driver level with relative ease. I personally preferred them as is.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you can grab the 700s for $350 then I think that's an awesome buy. Since you can listen to both that's the way to go. It's hard not to wonder "what if" a few months down the road! I'm in love with the sound I am getting right now through my Valhalla 2 but I haven't tried a Magni 2 to compare them, unfortunately. If it sounds loud enough to you with the amp you already have, then you should be able to stick with that for a while. Speaking of classical, I just had a cool experience with the 800s using one of Chesky's binaural recordings. BWV 565 recorded in a huge cathedral in NY, so you can actually hear not only the organ but all of the reverb splashing around and mixing off of the walls. Perfect during those classic chord buildups. It is so cool...you can almost build a picture of what the cathedral looks like just from that since you hear the exact distances of the reverb.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm completely new to headphones and want something wireless that I can use to listen to TV shows while listening in bed (and not disturbing others).

I'd also prefer to get something off of Amazon.ca or some Canadian store (like NCIX.com) if possible.

Budget - Up to $100 Canadian before tax.
Source - My PC or possibly a TV which has a headphone jack. No Bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice but not required
Past Headphones - I'm a heathen that just uses those in-ear iPod headphones
Preferred Music - I primarily want this for TV watching

Any help would be appreciated! I'm looking at wireless Sennheiser headphones right now but I can't tell what's considered good :(

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've got a few long flights coming up so I'm looking for some headphones to take along. The Quiet Comforts are awfully alluring, but in the name of something better...

Budget: $200, could be convinced a little higher if it's really worth it
Source: phone, computer
Isolation Requirements: Airplane-fighters
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. My ears can be picky, so cushy is good
Preferred Tonal Balance/Music: Don't know any better, but my playlist is pretty wide, so probably neutral, maybe a little bass-leaning.
Past Headphones - $50 Plantronics-something-or-another at work that do me well enough

A mic for gaming would be nice, but is purely optional.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just bought a Turtle Beach Stealth 500p headset to replace my Sony Gold, to solve a very specific problem: the Playstation TV (also called the Vita TV) doesn't have any kind of audio out other than HDMI, and this headset's USB dongle has optical in, for the purpose of getting 7.1 audio. Other than that it's mostly the same deal as the Sony Gold. It does indeed work for this purpose (and sounds somewhat better too I think), but there's an echo in the audio, very close to the original sound, only a few milliseconds. The microphone is turned off so it's not that, and I assume it isn't audio from the PS4 itself because I'm not even using that as a sound source, I have it set to only come through the optical in (which is connected directly to the TV). Any ideas?

edit: Not when it's taking audio directly through the USB though, only the optical. But not using the optical defeats the purpose of me buying it.

edit: this is like the fifteenth attempt at a solution to get audio from the PSTV wirelessly to headphones, and the previous 14 always had some niggling little problem too. As annoying as it is feeling like I'm listening to it from inside a tin can, it's the least annoying so far.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 12, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I've got a few long flights coming up so I'm looking for some headphones to take along. The Quiet Comforts are awfully alluring, but in the name of something better...

Budget: $200, could be convinced a little higher if it's really worth it
Source: phone, computer
Isolation Requirements: Airplane-fighters
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. My ears can be picky, so cushy is good
Preferred Tonal Balance/Music: Don't know any better, but my playlist is pretty wide, so probably neutral, maybe a little bass-leaning.
Past Headphones - $50 Plantronics-something-or-another at work that do me well enough

A mic for gaming would be nice, but is purely optional.

Last year I got a pair of refurbished audio technica noise canceling headphones from Amazon for like $40, specifically for a few long flights. These were awesome, and we also had a set of the Bose QC15 with us. Pretty much the same for 15% of the price. Spend the extra $160 on a seat upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just bought a Turtle Beach Stealth 500p headset to replace my Sony Gold, to solve a very specific problem: the Playstation TV (also called the Vita TV) doesn't have any kind of audio out other than HDMI, and this headset's USB dongle has optical in, for the purpose of getting 7.1 audio. Other than that it's mostly the same deal as the Sony Gold. It does indeed work for this purpose (and sounds somewhat better too I think), but there's an echo in the audio, very close to the original sound, only a few milliseconds. The microphone is turned off so it's not that, and I assume it isn't audio from the PS4 itself because I'm not even using that as a sound source, I have it set to only come through the optical in (which is connected directly to the TV). Any ideas?

edit: Not when it's taking audio directly through the USB though, only the optical. But not using the optical defeats the purpose of me buying it.

edit: this is like the fifteenth attempt at a solution to get audio from the PSTV wirelessly to headphones, and the previous 14 always had some niggling little problem too. As annoying as it is feeling like I'm listening to it from inside a tin can, it's the least annoying so far.

Have you tried using an Astro Mixamp? Connect the amp to the PS4, and the connect headphones/headset to the amp. They make a wireless headset as well.