Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

glomkettle posted:

With the DS4 out the 360 controller finally has some serious competition when it comes to PC users. You have to jump through another hoop or two to get it working, but it's not more than a one-time investment of like 5 minutes. If you prefer the layout or shape that's another very good option.

They're also $20-30 more, which is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Definitely something I should have mentioned, but it tends to slip my mind since I got mine on sale.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fister Roboto posted:

If you infuse it with a magic stone (enchanted) it turns it into purely physical damage that scales with INT. Pretty sure it will work with RobFlynn that way.

I didn't think you could infuse it anymore? Or did they change that back...

Nevermind, they changed it so you can't cast buffs on it, I was confused.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can infuse it, but that still doesn't fix it's awful animations and the fact it seems to take like 25% more stamina than other greatswords to swing around.

I just went back to the mace which is way faster and does more damage.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If you're comparing poo poo to the mace you might as well not bother even trying other weapons

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The only problem of the mace is the reach, the damage is insane compared to other weapons. Strike damage owns against some enemies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Digital_Jesus posted:

It's odd that people think DS2 isn't as memorable as 1. Every time I try to play DS1 I get ~45ish minutes into it and just can't bring myself to care, whereas I'm on my 5th new char in DS2.

Demons > Dark 1 > Dark 2 but by tiny tiny margins

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm still on my first playthrough and have just beaten the Iron King and the Lost Sinner, and I don't know where I should be focusing my stat points. I've got 20's across the board except for 30 strength, 10 attunement and five each in faith and intelligence. Should I bring everything else up to 20 before dumping points into anything else? I'm usually using a Claymore +8 and a 100% block shield. I don't really feel lacking in PvE, but I'm absolute garbage at PvP and have lost probably 80% of my invasions as a bellkeeper, but I'm sure that's more to do with my skill than stats.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Lester Shy posted:

I'm still on my first playthrough and have just beaten the Iron King and the Lost Sinner, and I don't know where I should be focusing my stat points. I've got 20's across the board except for 30 strength, 10 attunement and five each in faith and intelligence. Should I bring everything else up to 20 before dumping points into anything else? I'm usually using a Claymore +8 and a 100% block shield. I don't really feel lacking in PvE, but I'm absolute garbage at PvP and have lost probably 80% of my invasions as a bellkeeper, but I'm sure that's more to do with my skill than stats.

No, you should probably focus to some extent. Don't bring up stats to 20 that you will never use. If you are never going to use miracles or lightning infusions, don't bother adding faith, etc.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Just got the game, been a while since i last played. Any advice on a good build to tackle the dlc? I was planning on trying out a dex/int dude. Used to only run str characters, want to try something different. Are they good for the dlc? What weapons is everyone using nowadays?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is the Ultra Greatsword a trap like the Drake Sword in DS1 was? I got it fairly early and despite being slow it delivers such high damage and has such a wide range compared to everything else I've come across so far (I just beat the Lost Sinner) I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's not intended as an early-game crutch? It basically made that fight against the three Sentries a cakewalk.

Or maybe it's just due to me pumping a lot into strength and doing upgrading of the sword early in comparison to DS1 where I didn't really grasp the importance of the latter for quite some time?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jerusalem posted:

Is the Ultra Greatsword a trap like the Drake Sword in DS1 was? I got it fairly early and despite being slow it delivers such high damage and has such a wide range compared to everything else I've come across so far (I just beat the Lost Sinner) I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's not intended as an early-game crutch? It basically made that fight against the three Sentries a cakewalk.

Or maybe it's just due to me pumping a lot into strength and doing upgrading of the sword early in comparison to DS1 where I didn't really grasp the importance of the latter for quite some time?

The Greatsword is just an ultra greatsword class weapon. They're very slow and hit like a truck, but they're not a trap, no. Just be wary of the fact that you can manually adjust where they hit even while you're locked on, it can definitely trip you up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Just be wary of the fact that you can manually adjust where they hit even while you're locked on, it can definitely trip you up.

Oh yeah that has happened a couple of times already, much to my chagrin - always against weak little nothing enemies after beating a tough one, just to bring me back down to earth :sweatdrop:

The backstab animation on it is absolutely wonderful though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Greatsword is straight up one of the best weapons in the game, for PVE. Very good moveset variety, and very damaging.

Not sure why you feel the Zweihander in Dks (I assume that's the one you're referring to) is a trap. It's a really good weapon. A bit hard to use than here, since weapons in Dks are overall slower, but still really good due to the higher damage and wide swings, as well as the r2 slam which will stun and possibly knock down anything that's not a boss.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

The Greatsword is straight up one of the best weapons in the game, for PVE. Very good moveset variety, and very damaging.

Not sure why you feel the Zweihander in Dks (I assume that's the one you're referring to) is a trap. It's a really good weapon. A bit hard to use than here, since weapons in Dks are overall slower, but still really good due to the higher damage and wide swings, as well as the r2 slam which will stun and possibly knock down anything that's not a boss.

He was referring to the Drake Sword, not the Zweihander, and the Drake Sword absolutely is a newbie trap.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

He was referring to the Drake Sword, not the Zweihander, and the Drake Sword absolutely is a newbie trap.

I'm not sure how I managed to mis-read that. :hurr:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, strength weapons hit hard and DEX weapons hit fast. The greatsword is excellent against swarms of trash mobs with predictable attacks, but it can be lovely against bosses in all their infinite-poiseness. Many of them attack aggressively enough that you're not going to be able to get a hit in and dodge away between two of their attacks (Najka comes to mind).

It's terrible in PvP against people who know what they're doing though, they'll just parry-riposte you right out the gate. Or dodge through your attack and punish. It has good reach but not enough to offset its slowness and predictability.

That being said I've still killed plenty of people with it in PvP (*cough* and been killed by it plenty of times), hence "know what they're doing" :v: Sometimes you can shieldtank people and catch them while they roll away, other times you can bait them by whiffing an attack and then nail them with the return swipe when they come in to punish.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can totally get a hit in and dodge away with the big, slow weapons on fast bosses. You just have to find the correct openings to attack.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm fighting a dude made out of undead corpses and he's kicking my rear end :gonk:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Attacking the The Rotten with a slow weapon is quite hard, I'd suggest using a faster weapon so you can hit him and dodge away before his next attack. Alternatively, attack his limbs.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fighting a dude made out of undead corpses and he's kicking my rear end :gonk:

Try ranged and help, but hole.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Attacking the The Rotten with a slow weapon is quite hard, I'd suggest using a faster weapon so you can hit him and dodge away before his next attack. Alternatively, attack his limbs.

Bait attack, go behind him, attack, get away. Repeat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Greatsword 2h roll attack (the stab) is amazing and has deceptive amounts of range and tracking/ability to change where it's going to hit.
Also has good recovery time compared to the rest of the moveset.

By the way what attacks in the game have as good recovery time as the second hit partizan/silverblack spear 2H R2?
Ive been using that to bait people and it's been working out amazingly, especially against slower folk.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Did you find the second bonfire? There's one really close to him, you don't have to run the gauntlet every time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're really having problems with the Rotten there's also an NPC summon sign there, Lucatiel will take all the aggro and you have mostly free reign to attack him from behind. He'll notice you occasionally but if you back off he'll lose interest and let you wail on him for a while as he deals with Lucy.

Don't use the other NPC though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you find the second bonfire? There's one really close to him, you don't have to run the gauntlet every time.

Yeah I found that, made getting back a lot easier and after a bit of angry shouting (first at the TV, then at myself) I was able to beat the poo poo out of him quite satisfactorily. That's what I love about this game, all those times you fight a boss for the first time and think,"Well it's literally impossible to even hit him!" which becomes,"Okay I can shave off some health but it's literally impossible to beat him" which turns into,"Goddammit I almost had him!" which becomes,"Oh yeah, I got this :smug:" - then you get killed by the first lovely little level 1 zombie you run into on your way back.

I somehow missed the Pursuer before all this so now that I've beaten him, I guess it is time to get the con-artist Miracle seller to move that doorway and explore everything else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just get two random sunbros to drag me through the game. It's working great!

Worked for DS1 too, except for Capra.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Rotten's emanation attack is a massive pain in the rear end because it's so hard to time the dodge and it does huge damage.

He doesn't have any distance closers though so you can always run away and take a cool refreshing drink. Also he doesn't attack that aggressively? :confused:

Like he's not easy as such because he hits like a train and can punish the poo poo out of you when you gently caress up but he's probably the easiest fight of the four Great Souls.

Don't behind a shield though, dodge around his fat rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Do dex weapons still suck as much as they did on release because I tried to go through as a dex-pyro dude (DS1's easy mode) and I felt useless and underpowered the entire loving game compared to str people

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't think they got a significant buff or anything but I never quite got why people hate on dex weapons so much. Going by plain damage numbers STR scaling will always outclass DEX scaling, sure, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. You'll often find weapons with really fast attack speed, more versatile and/or fun movesets.
If you wanna go cut some cookies you can use the Rapier as an early game weapon (dual wield them if you want) and switch to the Espada Ropera at the end.

Or you could go for the Curved Dragon Greatsword. Then there's Katanas (Uchigatana and Chaos Blade are my faves, but the DLC introduced the Bewitched Alonne Sword), which are kind of slower and have a longer recovery time than you'd expect but they are devastating in their own right since they have a really good counter bonus.

Those are just some of my favorites. I'm sure there's more particularly good ones.
Just don't bother with Twinblades, man, the only good one I found is actually an STR weapon.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 31, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alternatively, do a spear run. Spears are good. And if you want additional options, get Santier's Spear, break Santier's Spear, then Raw that poo poo. They nerfed it, but it's still good, and almost as good as it used to be if you Raw infuse it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Weird, I wonder why the new Dark Souls build supports Steam Cloud but not DS2.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anybody have any ideas as to why my DS3 controller won't work with the MoitionInJoy drivers/BetterDS3? It works in every other game but Dark Souls 2 refuses to recognize that I am pressing buttons.

I'm trying to set up this XInput Wrapper thing that I found on reddit too but the exe won't start and I can't figure out why.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For some reason SC's drivers force me to uninstall and reinstall it once per week for it to work properly, but it's bettee than motioninjoy's shady spyware.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Well I figured out the SC driver (I had downloaded the latest update instead of the latest version) but Dark Souls 2 still isn't seeing it. Le sigh.

fake edit: Disabling every HID device in the device manager "fixed" it. This is apparently an official solution. What the gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When would people suggest doing the DLC? Is there a good place in the story where they fit in?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just do them after you beat Nashandra

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey I finally got my original Xbox controller working. It turns out that the strong attacks are mapped to + and - Z axis by default. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davinci posted:

Just do them after you beat Nashandra

I'll watch out for that name, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's telling you to do it after you beat the final boss. You can do the DLC areas easily by the time you open up Drangleic, which is what I'd suggest doing so you can actually use the stuff you get in those areas.