Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Yeah, I vaguely recall the name but don't know if I could spell it from memory, Djynn? Dyinn? Flyssa. Permabanned.

I'm gonna go with "the wrong side".

RIP Helldump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

Minor or petty thing to get annoyed about, sure. But not a weird thing. I mean, there's a word for people who listen to things already, and there's no reading involved in the process. It'd be easier to let it go if I knew there was a story behind it and it wasn't just ignorance.

We've had readers and reader mail for a lot longer than we had a podcast - the site started as a blog and feature site in 2004, the podcast started in 200...7? 8? - and we just stuck with it. I always think of the Idle Thumbs audience as readers, without a smirk or a feeling that I'm somehow being clever or cool or deliberately dumb, and probably always will. The logo is a thumb (presumably one that was previously on a mouse, face button, or analog stick) at a typewriter posed to write for that reason too. Just a piece of history that comes so naturally and unquestioned that it's hard to let go.

At this point Idle Thumbs has been a podcast longer than it had articles, but old habits die hard I guess.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
In my weird old mind I always thought of the titular Idle Thumb as a thumb rested firmly on the fire button of an old PC joystick connected to a game port, but not playing a game that made sense with that controller setup, playing a game like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Yeah, I vaguely recall the name but don't know if I could spell it from memory, Djynn? Dyinn? Flyssa. Permabanned.
Here.

Don't read that poo poo at work, or ever, if I remember what it was like correctly.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Al! posted:

In my weird old mind I always thought of the titular Idle Thumb as a thumb rested firmly on the fire button of an old PC joystick connected to a game port, but not playing a game that made sense with that controller setup, playing a game like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

Good. I would love to see animated interpretations of that logo, because i don't think any two people have the same read from it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My general, low-level terror when presented with certain configurations of human anatomy has always made the idle thumbs name and logo creep me out a little.

It also makes David Cronenberg movies work really well on me.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 31, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The idea of typing with your thumbs makes me really anxious

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I knew a chick once who was really short, like probably legally a dwarf short. She had these tiny fingers that all looked like thumbs. Her thumb-hands creeped me out.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hakkesshu posted:

The idea of typing with your thumbs makes me really anxious

You must really hate cell phones.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

You must really hate cell phones.

I do, in fact.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I started re-listening to Idle Thumbs from episode 1 largely to hear where year of the PS3 came from and man some of the language in these early episodes is rough. I'm really glad you guys grew out of this.

edit: "If we're still using quick time events in 2015 I'm going to be really sad" - Chris Remo

I'm sorry, Chris :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sankis posted:

I started re-listening to Idle Thumbs from episode 1 largely to hear where year of the PS3 came from and man some of the language in these early episodes is rough. I'm really glad you guys grew out of this.
For those who haven't listened to the older stuff in years, what are you talking about?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Captain Invictus posted:

For those who haven't listened to the older stuff in years, what are you talking about?

Lots of "raped" and "retarded".

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Sankis posted:

All the hottest language from PC gaming chat threads of 1999 straight into a microphone in 2008 and jnto your ears in 2015. Sorry we were terrible. It's crazy to me that people liked those episodes, in hindsight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

All the hottest language from PC gaming chat threads of 1999 straight into a microphone in 2008 and jnto your ears in 2015. Sorry we were terrible. It's crazy to me that people liked those episodes, in hindsight.

Eh, I wouldn't feel too bad. I think back to that time and I'm definitely embarrassed with the types of things I was saying, there's definitely been this push to not be a shitlord in the past few years which is nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Soon you will have to put those "product of its time" warnings on the early episodes like Looney Toons had to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sankis posted:

"But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?"

ja2ke posted:

To be safe, you should make up terms with no context or modern day application and intersperse them within the podcast in an attempt to hit the future lexicon lottery. If you get lucky with the odds, at least one of the made up terms will be accurate to someone listening in the future no matter how far along you go. In lieu of that, try to use period terms that are considered clean and wholesome; a Leave it to Beaver styled episode would be amusing.

(To be fair, one is welcome to take offence at the usage of those and other words. However, if these words are in the vernacular of a society, please berate your cohost off mike and don't take up airtime and my time telling your peer and audience how they're terrible people. Mr. Gies I'm looking at you.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Warbird posted:

"But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?"

To be safe, you should make up terms with no context or modern day application and intersperse them within the podcast in an attempt to hit the future lexicon lottery. If you get lucky with the odds, at least one of the made up terms will be accurate to someone listening in the future no matter how far along you go. Or, 1920's slang is dated enough to be more amusing than offensive.

(To be fair, one is welcome to take offence at the usage of those and other words. However, if these words are in the vernacular of a society, please berate your cohost off mike and don't take up airtime and my time telling your peer and audience how they're terrible people. Mr. Gies I'm looking at you.)

What a bespoke post.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What does messing with my bicycle's wheels have to do with anything?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

To be safe, you should make up terms with no context or modern day application and intersperse them within the podcast in an attempt to hit the future lexicon lottery. If you get lucky with the odds, at least one of the made up terms will be accurate to someone listening in the future no matter how far along you go. In lieu of that, try to use period terms that are considered clean and wholesome; a Leave it to Beaver styled episode would be amusing.

Source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Puz4897t9s

But yes, I have been meaning to change this custom title. Thank you for reminding me to do so!!!

ja2ke posted:

I'm sure I was also saying some stupid poo poo 6/7 years ago too, I just don't have audio recordings of it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2015

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I know what it's from, I'm just messing with you. If you are going to change it, may I suggest something from NWA's early work?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Soon you will have to put those "product of its time" warnings on the early episodes like Looney Toons had to.

What's this now?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If you're not consistently mortified by things you said as recently as yesterday, you aren't growing as a person.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The warning he was referring to

Some of the earlier LT stuff had racist caricatures of minorities, particularly Africans and Pacific Islanders (among others, they just come to mind). I don't recall any of these being a focal point of an episode, but they occasionally popped up for a gag. That being said, the 'Huns' and 'Japs' were fair game during the Second World War and no punches were pulled. That's propaganda for you. I don't really feel that putting that there was necessary due in part that the portrayals are so far removed from both the portrayed and even modern stereotypes for the associated groups. They also serve as a part of that period's history like it or not. However, I understand why they did it and don't particularly object it it.

Edit- Ol'Patpat joined Kotaku it seems. Any takers on how long until they get a podcast going? Is that old Kotaku Talk Radio show even still a thing?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 2, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Jimbot posted:

What's this now?

The DVDs come with a disclaimer that the cartoons were a product of their time. It makes sense considering the content of some of them.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

If you're not consistently mortified by things you said as recently as yesterday, you aren't growing as a person.

This 100%. The downside of putting out content is that your former lovely/ignorant attitudes are basically immortalized.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

ja2ke posted:

Any thoughts on deleting those podcasts from the feed? I recall in the podcast with Anita the idealogy of "deleting your past" vs. Apologizing for your past vis-a-vis the differences between Warner Brothers and Disney came up, and it seemed like you guys disagreed with her and quickly changed the subject.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Tir McDohl posted:

Any thoughts on deleting those podcasts from the feed? I recall in the podcast with Anita the idealogy of "deleting your past" vs. Apologizing for your past vis-a-vis the differences between Warner Brothers and Disney came up, and it seemed like you guys disagreed with her and quickly changed the subject.

I think that's an easier conversation to have when it's Looney Tunes, which are a defining piece of American media in the 20th century... which happens to also be racist as gently caress in some of its early episodes. There are actually, say, universities and archivists and folks like that who would consider it a prestigious honor to preserve old Looney Tunes in a publicly accessible, academic context (as opposed to the current WB approach, to put a disclaimer on the content and then profit off it). When it's Idle Thumbs, I'm not really sure what to do about it. I know that Video Games Hot Dog just took old episodes off the feed after a while... I think? Maybe that is what we eventually do -- de-list episodes from the standard RSS feed but leave them up on the website in the archive for people who are really curious. That idea could also be terrible. I don't really know. We talked about this when we came back from the Kickstarter in 2012 (!!! ages ago now!) but decided to let it be for the time being. Maybe 2015 is the year that changes!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Warbird posted:

:getout:

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

ja2ke posted:

I think that's an easier conversation to have when it's Looney Tunes, which are a defining piece of American media in the 20th century... which happens to also be racist as gently caress in some of its early episodes. There are actually, say, universities and archivists and folks like that who would consider it a prestigious honor to preserve old Looney Tunes in a publicly accessible, academic context (as opposed to the current WB approach, to put a disclaimer on the content and then profit off it). When it's Idle Thumbs, I'm not really sure what to do about it. I know that Video Games Hot Dog just took old episodes off the feed after a while... I think? Maybe that is what we eventually do -- de-list episodes from the standard RSS feed but leave them up on the website in the archive for people who are really curious. That idea could also be terrible. I don't really know. We talked about this when we came back from the Kickstarter in 2012 (!!! ages ago now!) but decided to let it be for the time being. Maybe 2015 is the year that changes!

Thanks for your well-nuanced answer. I personally skew on the side of you keeping them available in some way. I think you've provided enough of a mea culpa. I also have distaste for the literary example of censoring Mark Twain works. I know that my opinion is not the only valid one, however.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

ja2ke posted:

Just reboot the Podcast again. This time just as simply "Thumbs". It can be stylized in 80s cyberpunk text.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Tir McDohl posted:

I think it's a matter of degrees. The Looney Toons/Disney examples were done with the explicit purpose of othering a group of people in a hurtful way. (This is my big objection to King Of the Hill after season one.)

Using "retarded" or "gay" is hurtful, but in the case of old Idle Thumbs, I assume not intentionally. Every show that has that terrible "lisping gay man" and "hilarious mentally challenged" character is worse (I.e. All of Comedy Central for the past two decades) but I don't think we should go back and edit them.

There's value in those old shows, especially in gaining insight into the context of the time. You could spend the time censoring the old episodes, but any time doing that could be spent doing actual good in the present. I'm of the opinion that leaving them is fine, but then I'm pretty much the paragon of rich white dude.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ulta posted:

I think it's a matter of degrees. The Looney Toons/Disney examples were done with the explicit purpose of othering a group of people in a hurtful way. (This is my big objection to King Of the Hill after season one.)

This is incredibly off-topic, but what's your beef with King of the Hill after season one?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sankis posted:

Just reboot the Podcast again. This time just as simply "Thumbs". It can be stylized in 80s cyberpunk text.

I'd call it "Thumbs" and either have it be some quirky-rear end quirky hipster thing or a gritty, dark grimdark thing. That's usually how reboots go when they take the previous title and only use one word from it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Make a spinoff cooking podcast called Idle Yums please.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don't forget the Idle Thumbs sex talk podcast, Thumbs in Bums.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

bobservo posted:

This is incredibly off-topic, but what's your beef with King of the Hill after season one?

The first Season generally involves looking at how weird Hank Hill is, how weird a small town is. The "villains" are largly internal, with Hank struggling with family conflicts, his own self worth, etc. It's actually a decent show, and theirs some hints of the old Beavis and Butthead Mike Judd in there.

There's a subtle shift followed by a quick landslide (speculated to be the fact that 911 broke Mike Judd). Hank stops becoming the butt of the joke and turns into the audience surrogate. It's no longer "How weird is Hank" it's "How right is Hank, and how weird is everyone else." In later episodes the conflict will come from outsiders, usually people who are from out of town, whom are thwarted by the common sense down to earth logic of Hank Hill. On top of the shitheap is "The Goode Family" a spinoff about a "liberal" family. It's complete garbage.

On top of that, I grew up in a small town and react violently to anything that praises the virtues of small town living. Small towns are pieces of poo poo that grind up people.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Personally I find the Robot hate speech on Idle Thumbs despicable. When the next epoch begins, you guys will regret the podcasts badmouthing the cheetah robot.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I'd call it "Thumbs" and either have it be some quirky-rear end quirky hipster thing or a gritty, dark grimdark thing. That's usually how reboots go when they take the previous title and only use one word from it.

"Thumbs" was considered many times as the name of a potential interview-only show. The logo would be in hot pink script and theme song would be a really sassy SNL style saxophone solo rendition of the Idle Thumbs theme, as if it was a lost late night show from the mid-80s. Then Tone Control and Designer Notes came along so there was really no purpose. (Not that we were making any headway on starting that cast on our own anyway, we just liked the intro and logo concept...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tir McDohl posted:

No way dude. Yeah, they use gay and raped occasionally in the older ones, but not nearly enough to wipe them from the list of podcasts/void the rest of the show's length, and eventually just stop using them altogether. Speaking as someone who came to them far later, it was interesting to hear old game discussion, and even led to me trying out some older stuff I'd missed out on. I'd also say the earlier days were by far the funniest, though I still enjoy the current Thumbs and listen to it every week at work.

• Locked thread