Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Save me jeebus posted:

(Sort of) joke answer: put it on everything.

It's not really a joke at all.

It's good just dumped right on your dumplings too, no mixing or dipping.

I also like to mix a few spoonfuls into eggs for scramblin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The bean sauce is really better as a base of salty umami flavor for cooking with. Cooking with it mellows out the salt and hotness and imparts the flavor to the whole dish.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It's good just dumped right on your dumplings too, no mixing or dipping.

I also like to mix a few spoonfuls into eggs for scramblin'.

I once made noodles out of leftover dumpling dough and ate them just boiled with tons of chili crisp. It was wonderful. :kimchi:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally got a wok for Christmas, just need to season it and pick up a wok ring.

My body is ready

Edit: do I really need a ring?

http://imgur.com/a/IsO4e

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 28, 2014

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is truth. I didn't think it could be as good as this thread hyped it up to be, but it's basically my favorite condiment now. It's amazing on top of a fried egg. :kimchi:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think ya'll are crazy just dumping it on things after the fact. I only really use it when making sauces or in the pan as I'm frying something. Eating it straight seems weird to me and I've lived in the land of chili and oil (sichuan) for two years now.

Does America get more than just the normal 风味 stuff now? One thing I missed when I was living back in the States in 2011-2012 was that they only had one variety of the stuff. Here there is a literal shelf that is just like 13 or 14 different kinds of lao gan ma, and I like to mix it up.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I think ya'll are crazy just dumping it on things after the fact. I only really use it when making sauces or in the pan as I'm frying something. Eating it straight seems weird to me and I've lived in the land of chili and oil (sichuan) for two years now.

Does America get more than just the normal 风味 stuff now? One thing I missed when I was living back in the States in 2011-2012 was that they only had one variety of the stuff. Here there is a literal shelf that is just like 13 or 14 different kinds of lao gan ma, and I like to mix it up.
Yes, we do. Or at least, we do in Canada. I'm assuming you can find other varieties in the States now too. Last time I checked there was black bean and chili oil, peanut and chili oil, spicy cabbage, and spicy bean available at my usual local Asian supermarket. Oddly the spicy chili crisp that I know and love was nowhere to be found. I may have to check one of the other Asian grocery stores in town to see if they have any there. I tried some of the black bean stuff last time and it was really good, but I still think I like the spicy chili crisp best.

As far as using it as a condiment goes... I like it both ways. I like cooking with it, but I also enjoy mixing it into fried rice or dumpling sauce just before I eat it as well. I will even admit to using it as an ice cream topping at one point. (Black bean lao gan ma pairs surprisingly well with chocolate ice cream!) My husband thinks I have a lao gan ma problem.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Symbol posted:

Yes, we do. Or at least, we do in Canada. I'm assuming you can find other varieties in the States now too. Last time I checked there was black bean and chili oil, peanut and chili oil, spicy cabbage, and spicy bean available at my usual local Asian supermarket. Oddly the spicy chili crisp that I know and love was nowhere to be found. I may have to check one of the other Asian grocery stores in town to see if they have any there. I tried some of the black bean stuff last time and it was really good, but I still think I like the spicy chili crisp best.

As far as using it as a condiment goes... I like it both ways. I like cooking with it, but I also enjoy mixing it into fried rice or dumpling sauce just before I eat it as well. I will even admit to using it as an ice cream topping at one point. (Black bean lao gan ma pairs surprisingly well with chocolate ice cream!) My husband thinks I have a lao gan ma problem.

I got the black bean one and the peanut one at Lucky Moose Food Mart in Toronto (if that's where you are), and they had the crisp one as well but I skipped it because I thought "what the hell is a crisp supposed to be". Should I go back and get that one too??

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Oh if it's just the chili I can see topping everything with that. In my mind Lao Gan ma means the dou chi which is so full of flavor that putting it on something without any dilution seems like a terrible idea.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

Millow posted:

I got the black bean one and the peanut one at Lucky Moose Food Mart in Toronto (if that's where you are), and they had the crisp one as well but I skipped it because I thought "what the hell is a crisp supposed to be". Should I go back and get that one too??

The spicy chili crisp is amazing on everything! Get it! The black bean one is delicious, but I definitely see what Magna Kaser is saying about it not really working as well as a condiment. I've used it as a condiment because I couldn't find any chili crisp and wanted some lao gan ma, but it does seem to work better as an ingredient than a topping in general. And "crisp" just means that the pieces of chili are sort of crunchy. I think they must make it with dried peppers rather than fresh. It's excellent! Salty, spicy, oily, crispy-crunchy pure deliciousness!

I'm actually in Guelph, not Toronto. Luckily my favourite Asian supermarket here, Taskgo, seems to have finally restocked on chili crisp. I grabbed two jars this time, just in case they stop stocking it again. And a jar of the peanut lao gan ma because, as noted earlier, I have a lao gan ma problem. It was all I could do not to grab another jar of the black bean one too! I like the idea of using the peanut one for cooking with and the chili crisp as a topping. I should really try the spicy cabbage one at some point too...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I use a spoonful each of the hot peanut, and milder cabbage laoganma's in fried rice, along with some oyster sauce, fish sauce and kejap manis, and it is unbelievably good to eat.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Put that poo poo on hot dogs and hamburgers. It's pretty loving good

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I just got a pasta roller for xmas, and I realized: I can make dumpling wrappers!

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade dumpling wrappers? I'm mostly looking for wheat-based dough because that's what I have, but I'm also open to a rice flour- or cornstarch- or whatever-based recipe. I did some googling and have a few recipes in front of me that generally agree it should just be wheat flour and water kneaded well and allowed to rest, but the methods vary and I trust this thread a whole hell of a lot more than google.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

I mix some beaten egg into my rice before frying it so it's just coated a little and that helps the grains be nicely seperate and not sticky.

Magna Kaser posted:

Another thing is the wok needs to be super-duper hot.

Thanks! I'll definitely try both of these tips next time I fry rice.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nicol Bolas posted:

I just got a pasta roller for xmas, and I realized: I can make dumpling wrappers!

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade dumpling wrappers? I'm mostly looking for wheat-based dough because that's what I have, but I'm also open to a rice flour- or cornstarch- or whatever-based recipe. I did some googling and have a few recipes in front of me that generally agree it should just be wheat flour and water kneaded well and allowed to rest, but the methods vary and I trust this thread a whole hell of a lot more than google.

Flour & water & maaaaaybe a pinch of salt's worked well for me in the past. The trick is making them the right size. If you're really good and have one of those small rolling pins you can roll them out so they're thicker in the middle than on the edges, which reduces tearing of the tasty bits and alleviates the problem of excess dough on the folds.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'm interested in doing a hot pot. Anybody see any reason I couldn't serve it in a slow cooker? It's a fancy one that has adjustable temp up to 350 F (for saute), and can keep a full boil even with the lid off. I haven't tested how fast it'll get to boil, but I can always preheat it on the stove.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Karia posted:

I'm interested in doing a hot pot. Anybody see any reason I couldn't serve it in a slow cooker? It's a fancy one that has adjustable temp up to 350 F (for saute), and can keep a full boil even with the lid off. I haven't tested how fast it'll get to boil, but I can always preheat it on the stove.

As long as you can get it boiling once everything is in there it should work, that's basically the only requisite.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Nicol Bolas posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade dumpling wrappers?

Ancient Chinese Secret: dumpling wrappers aren't uniformly flat. you leave the middle fatter and feather the edges so the crimp is thin and the filling doesn't break out.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 30, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Karia posted:

Or you can have everyone sit around the cooking and do it off any pot.

Oh and never do hot pot out doors during winter. It loving sucks

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I've done hot pot in a rice cooker before, so it's probably possible

Just be careful with water temperature - adding still-frozen stuff will drop the water temperature and a slow cooker might not raise it again as fast as you might like

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I just bought like 4 packets of zha cai today. Is it crazy to stir fry zha cai with other vegetables?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ascendance posted:

I just bought like 4 packets of zha cai today. Is it crazy to stir fry zha cai with other vegetables?

Nope go for it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ascendance posted:

Stir fry with pork and chili peppers then dump on rice. You may need to wash it first before cooking if if it's really salty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wok'd tonight for the first time and successfully made beef and broccoli with oyster sauce.

Should I wash the wok with soap and water? I also bought one of those bamboo brushes.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

bamhand posted:

Stir fry with pork and chili peppers then dump on rice. You may need to wash it first before cooking if if it's really salty.
Its the pre-julienned stuff, so its usually not too salty. Probably a good idea to rinse it anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Wok'd tonight for the first time and successfully made beef and broccoli with oyster sauce.

Should I wash the wok with soap and water? I also bought one of those bamboo brushes.

Just like any seasoned pan, do not wash with soap. The way to clean it is with lots of hot water and vigorous brushing. The way I was taught was to clean it was to put the burner on high and use a continuous stream of water tossed over the side by the brush action, but that's probably not going to work for a home setup. You want to get rid of all the food residue with the brush and water and sterilize the surface with heat. Once you've finished brushing you could leave a little water in the bottom of the wok and turn the burner back on to sterilize.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can actually use soap on woks/cast iron, just don't scrub the gently caress out of it or anything. A gentle rub down with a soft sponge and soap won't hurt the seasoning.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You can actually use soap on woks/cast iron, just don't scrub the gently caress out of it or anything. A gentle rub down with a soft sponge and soap won't hurt the seasoning.
I use soap on my cast iron all the time. It's kind of necessary some times. The most important thing is to let it dry properly - usually by putting it back on the stove for a minute or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ascendance posted:

I use soap on my cast iron all the time. It's kind of necessary some times. The most important thing is to let it dry properly - usually by putting it back on the stove for a minute or two.

Yeah me too, it's fine. I dry it the same way. As long as you aren't scrubbing too hard or letting it sit wet and get rusty you're fine. Even if somehow you do damage the seasoning, heat it up and rub some oil on and you're good again.

Woks are disposable, don't baby them too much. I'd scrub out all the crusty junk with the bamboo brush and then give it a quick wash, then heat it up again to dry it and then give it a rub with a bit of oil on a paper towel.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Woks are disposable, don't baby them too much. I'd scrub out all the crusty junk with the bamboo brush and then give it a quick wash, then heat it up again to dry it and then give it a rub with a bit of oil on a paper towel.
So when should you throw out a typical cast iron wok?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Depends how much you abuse it. When it's all bent up and lovely is when they usually get tossed. If you're not blasting it with crazy heat and using it regularly it'll probably last a while.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ascendance posted:

So when should you throw out a typical cast iron wok?

Where's the :pedantic: emoticon when you need it?

Typical woks aren't cast iron, they're either pressed mild or carbon steel. Cast iron woks do exist but they probably don't transfer heat as well as carbon steel. Dunno how true this is, my cast iron addiction isn't bad enough to buy one just to try.

Whatever. Treat your carbon steel wok like cast iron and throw it out when it gets nasty. I don't think this happens often on a typical kitchen range.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cast iron woks are pretty fragile since woks are so thin and cast iron is quite brittle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

Just like any seasoned pan, do not wash with soap. The way to clean it is with lots of hot water and vigorous brushing. The way I was taught was to clean it was to put the burner on high and use a continuous stream of water tossed over the side by the brush action, but that's probably not going to work for a home setup. You want to get rid of all the food residue with the brush and water and sterilize the surface with heat. Once you've finished brushing you could leave a little water in the bottom of the wok and turn the burner back on to sterilize.

Any seasoning that washes off with a bit of soap was just oil residue, not seasoning. Ok bye.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Go away! :mad:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Christ you nerds just get a Teflon

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

caberham posted:

Christ you nerds just get a Teflon

I think a teflon wok would get destroyed really quickly.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm going to be travelling to Xi'an for work in a month or so. Any recommendations for regional dishes? I most likely won't be able to be picking the places to go, so places recommendations won't work. I also don't know exactly where I'll be staying.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Where's the :pedantic: emoticon when you need it?

Typical woks aren't cast iron, they're either pressed mild or carbon steel. Cast iron woks do exist but they probably don't transfer heat as well as carbon steel. Dunno how true this is, my cast iron addiction isn't bad enough to buy one just to try.

Whatever. Treat your carbon steel wok like cast iron and throw it out when it gets nasty. I don't think this happens often on a typical kitchen range.

I got a Lodge cast iron wok as a wedding gift and I have really enjoyed it. It's thick iron like any cast-iron pan, and I think the thickness really helps when you're cooking on a lovely domestic gas range. It takes longer to heat up, but doesn't immediately lose all heat once you drop in the meat. You can't toss with it, I tend to just use either a metal ladle or a bamboo spoon to move stuff around in there.

Anyway, inspired after eating some loving awesome orange chicken at Yuet Bistro in Redding, CA, I decided to try and rip off their recipe. I think I got reasonably close and my wife agrees. It's very easy, so if anyone wants to try:

Orange loving Chicken (Not deep-fried)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2-3 chicken breasts
  • 1 bunch green onions

Grate the orange peel and put it in a pot with the water. Squeeze in the orange's juice. Bring it to a boil, then simmer about 10 minutes.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let that simmer a minute or two.

Add the vinegar, chili, and soy sauce. Stir them in and simmer it a little more.

Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water, add it to the sauce. Reduce heat all the way, we just want to keep it hot now.

Cut up the chicken into chunks, slice the green onions the way you always slice green onions. Stir-fry the chicken until it's cooked, then add the onions and toss for a minute or so until they're hot.

Put the chicken+onions in a bowl, pour the sauce over, and serve.

Notes: Apparently it's pretty good with only 1/4 cup of sugar and 1.5 Tbsp of soy sauce... lots of room for flexibility.

Edit: put soy sauce in the ingredients list and added notes.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

shaitan posted:

I'm going to be travelling to Xi'an for work in a month or so. Any recommendations for regional dishes? I most likely won't be able to be picking the places to go, so places recommendations won't work. I also don't know exactly where I'll be staying.

This stuff has been incredible every time I've had it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paomo

I haven't been to Xi'an but you want to go to the Muslim area if you can and eat literally everything you can see. There's probably lots of Muslim noodle places around too. You'll want to try lamian (hand-pulled noodle soup, origin of ramen), my favorite is chao daoxiaomian, which is thick noodles that get cut off a hunk right into the water and then fried in sauce. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsZmd5G7zM