Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/illegal-immigrants-drivers-licenses-under-california-law-012921086.html

It's basically an admission that they can't control the flow of illegals in and through the state. Why are you even bringing the right wing into this, it's a simple fact.

Are you saying a Nigerian who hopped the border without papers could get a drivers license without problems in California then? And Texas..and many other states that can't handle the influx.

People want to get political and point fingers instead of owning up to this reality I see. Nobody talks about this.

I don't believe that they don't profile by national origin. Illegal immigration is an issue of national origin....

Anyone have a better answer? The OP?? What is going on at our southern border?

I am an immigration lawyer, I have given you the best answer that can be given under the circumstances of your ignorance. Educate yourself more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Dagda posted:

I am an immigration lawyer, I have given you the best answer that can be given under the circumstances of your ignorance. Educate yourself more.

If you are so educated about the issue yourself and instead of giving evasive non-answers, tell me why those 1.4 million illegal immigrants are not deported when they go to get those drivers licenses. I am not saying they should be, I am just pointing out that illegals (from certain countries) are currently tolerated because it is the only option, and I am still trying to find out where the line is exactly. I am surprised you are an immigration lawyer to be honest. Currently the laws of the united states are being shirked because there is no other choice, they can't handle the scope, much like marijuana possession. Does it really just come down to cheap labor then? I'm asking someone else now, it's clear you've reached the limits of your ability to explain.

Edit - also i showed you were wrong about the rights thing, drivers licenses are a pretttty big right. It turns an undocumented immigrant into a documented one for starters. All they need after that is an SSN..maybe that's next??

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 31, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Perhaps this is the fourm you're looking for? :rant:D&D:rant:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

a posting ghost posted:

If you are so educated about the issue yourself and instead of giving evasive non-answers, tell me why those 1.4 million illegal immigrants are not deported when they go to get those drivers licenses. I am not saying they should be, I am just pointing out that illegals (from certain countries) are currently tolerated because it is the only option, and I am still trying to find out where the line is exactly. I am surprised you are an immigration lawyer to be honest. Currently the laws of the united states are being shirked because there is no other choice, they can't handle the scope, much like marijuana possession. Does it really just come down to cheap labor then? I'm asking someone else now, it's clear you've reached the limits of your ability to explain.

Edit - also i showed you were wrong about the rights thing, drivers licenses are a pretttty big right. It turns an undocumented immigrant into a documented one for starters. All they need after that is an SSN..maybe that's next??

Your agenda is visible from the moon, but just to clarify: when states allow undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver's license, they don't first determine that the person is illegal and then give the driver's license anyways. They simply do not require the DMV of the state to verify a person's immigration status on whatever federal database they were using. As such, it has nothing to do with people "from certain countries." And no, having a driver's license does not turn an undocumented immigrant into a documented one, because driver's licenses cannot be used as proof of citizenship.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

Do better.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My agenda? Amazing

So illegal immigration is the elephant in the room that we "tactfully" dont talk about in this thread eh? Got it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

If you had bothered to check the general tone of this thread so far, then you'd have seen that it's one where civilized posters help other civilized posters. It's not for manufactured outrage. And calling everyone who posts information you don't like an idiot and going "hellohellohello OP" makes you look even more tone-deaf and stupid.

Post a thread in D&D.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

So illegal immigration is the elephant in the room that we "tactfully" dont talk about in this thread eh? Got it.

No, that's not the problem.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flavor posted:

If you had bothered to check the general tone of this thread so far, then you'd have seen that it's one where civilized posters help other civilized posters. It's not for manufactured outrage. And calling everyone who posts information you don't like an idiot and going "hellohellohello OP" makes you look even more tone-deaf and stupid.

Post a thread in D&D.

Manufactured outrage? Actually I got my question answered, due to the drivers license laws and immigration status not being checked, anyone can hop the border and work under the radar of the visa system as long as they don't want to do anything fancy.

You know, a few people, like Daedra, could have said "i don't know" instead of getting pissy.

I wasn't even thinking of the politics of all this, politics are for babies.

It is definitely that you guys don't want to mention illegal immigration because of how it makes the immigration system look (hypocritical). Sorry for getting caught in another A/T circlejerk I guess

What would I post in D&D? It was a question for immigration lawyers. Daedra have you passed the bar? God help us all..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Hi I have a law degree and work for USCIS. In my expert opinion :fuckoff:

Nobody is fooled by your dumb poo poo. If you want to discuss a concrete question, maybe ask it in clear terms instead of vague and loaded phrasing.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
My new years resolution is to not check ceac.gov every day anymore. It's crushing me... Maybe every second day.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

a posting ghost posted:

Manufactured outrage? Actually I got my question answered, due to the drivers license laws and immigration status not being checked, anyone can hop the border and work under the radar of the visa system as long as they don't want to do anything fancy.

Newsflash: lots of people work under the table. Some "hopped the border" or overstayed visas. Many others are American citizens. I don't see what that has to do with anything in this thread.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Hi I have a law degree and work for USCIS. In my expert opinion :fuckoff:

Nobody is fooled by your dumb poo poo. If you want to discuss a concrete question, maybe ask it in clear terms instead of vague and loaded phrasing.

Why does the federal government tolerate massive illegal immigration by central americans, that has been my question all along.

It is not a loaded question. If you don't know say you don't know. If you say "they don't have a choice" i will accept that, but then the next question is where is the line.

If you say they don't tolerate it, I will lol myself out of this thread.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and three other justices, stated: "As a general rule, it is not a crime for a removable alien to remain present in the United States." The court also ruled that it was not a crime to seek or engage in unauthorized employment.

Hmmm

Very well. Business interests have always come first before citizenry I suppose. Indentured servitude must live on.

Forget I said anything, it's all clear to me now. But the truth seems to be uglier than any of you want to discuss out in public.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Happy 2015 everyone, I hope you all get to ride this America gravy train while it lasts, before the illegals take all our jobs and suck up our welfare with their special rights.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Dagda posted:

Happy 2015 everyone, I hope you all get to ride this America gravy train while it lasts, before the illegals take all our jobs and suck up our welfare with their special rights.

No no, it's better than that, they do the jobs no one wants to do and they also pay into welfare programs but don't get anything back. Downside is wages get depressed for everyone over time. And they don't get special rights, just the ones that an unskilled permanent resident would otherwise get. Looks like I'm the one telling the immigration "lawyer" (paralegal?) about their field now..

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

No no, it's better than that, they do the jobs no one wants to do and they also pay into welfare programs but don't get anything back. Downside is wages get depressed for everyone over time. And they don't get special rights, just the ones that an unskilled permanent resident would otherwise get. Looks like I'm the one telling the immigration "lawyer" (paralegal?) about their field now..

You're right, you know everything there is to know about immigration now. I guess you'll just have to get out of the thread, since there is nothing for you here.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Yes, please do piss off forever and stop ruining this awesome thread with your shittery.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Dagda posted:

You're right, you know everything there is to know about immigration now. I guess you'll just have to get out of the thread, since there is nothing for you here.

With a few more days of research I would likely be more qualified than you to answer questions in this thread, seeing your track record. And I wouldn't need to pull rank on people to do it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

With a few more days of research I would likely be more qualified than you to answer questions in this thread, seeing your track record. And I wouldn't need to pull rank on people to do it.

I can't tell if you're for real or some half baked troll account. OP please advise, over

To everyone else in the midst of the immigration process like myself, happy 2015 and may your paperwork be processed hastily and without requests for evidence :cheers:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I can't tell if you're for real or some half baked troll account. OP please advise, over

To everyone else in the midst of the immigration process like myself, happy 2015 and may your paperwork be processed hastily and without requests for evidence :cheers:

And also to you my friend. We sent in our checklist/RFE stuff, it was scanned 11 Dec so we have until 11 Feb to wait until we get a response. My husband has to leave Australia to go home to America on March 2. So it's looking extremely likely that he will go without me :( Wouldn't have happened if we didn't get the most retarded RFE of all time. But oh well.

Starting to think we should have got the ol' K3 visa but tbh there wasn't that much evidence at the time that it was moving any faster than the CR1.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That really sucks and I hope you can get it sorted out within the not too distant future. There's been a few occasions where I've almost missed deadlines for sending stuff in and it's scary as hell, and I actually misplaced a document that I had to pay a $500 filing fee to get back :downsgun: Yesterday I went get my biometrics done for my work permit and adjustment of status, so at the moment my stuff seems to be under control, possibly, maybe. We'll see.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Really hoping this will be the year that my Brit boy can finally hop the pond and stay over here with me. All we've really got to sort now is the paperwork and how much it will cost to process, which unfortunately keeps getting derailed by dental bills and the like :v:

VisaJourney says the K-1 waiting time is about six months right now and I'm hoping that keeps up.

Good luck to all the rest of you working on this this year!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Speaking of her brit boy, one question I do have:

When I was younger (About a decade ago now) I changed my name via deed poll. Obviously they've got provisions for that on the forms, because name changes are fairly common, but will they actually require evidence of the name change or is simply informing them that I previously had a different name on the forms enough? If they do want evidence, at what stage do they want it - when Pikestaff sends the forms in to the USCIS, or when I send stuff to/go to the embassy?

Thanks :) We've got most of the other paperwork sorted out, it'd just be handy to know this before I mail her the pictures.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Speaking of her brit boy, one question I do have:

When I was younger (About a decade ago now) I changed my name via deed poll. Obviously they've got provisions for that on the forms, because name changes are fairly common, but will they actually require evidence of the name change or is simply informing them that I previously had a different name on the forms enough? If they do want evidence, at what stage do they want it - when Pikestaff sends the forms in to the USCIS, or when I send stuff to/go to the embassy?

Thanks :) We've got most of the other paperwork sorted out, it'd just be handy to know this before I mail her the pictures.

Does your old name appear on any other documents you're submitting, like on a copy of your birth certificate? If so, you should submit evidence of your name change to USCIS. As far as I know you wouldn't need to bring proof of name change to the embassy as well, but if it were me, I'd bring it just in case.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

My dad married a chinese woman about 7 years ago and is trying to invite her adult daughter to visit. This is made more complicated because she's already applying for an INA 203A2B, so getting her a visitor's visa might negatively impact that application in some way. Right now I'm helping him write a letter explaining that he would like his sick, aging sister to be able to meet her new step-niece and that he will guarantee her return to China. Is there anything in particular that he should put in this letter to maximize the chances of getting a visa?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
No birth certificate available for PR immigration application.

What are my options?

I have a letter from the UNHCR stating the country of birth did not provide birth certificates at the time of my birth but they can verify a person with my name was born on my birth date and that person left to immigrate to X country on X day.

Will that work for the application?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, the first thing to do would be to go to the state department website and look up your country. When you enter the country, it should have a link to documents and specifically birth certificates. That will tell you what the state departments current position/expectation is for your country of birth. Usually if it is some big obvious thing that the country does not/did not provide certificates, they acknowledge that and have other suggested documentation.

Whenever you can't get a certificate, it would be best to try and supplement whatever you submit with an affidavit. Do you have a parent, relative, or family friend who can attest to the details of your birth? All it really is is a letter saying 'I am this person, I know lol internet, they were born on this day in this place and they don't have a certificate because the country didn't issue them then'.

If you are in a situation where you don't have someone who can make that attestation, I would use the UNHCR letter, include your own affidavit with the explanation, and include whatever corroborating documents you might have (like if you have school records or something showing your age from when you immigrated to X country, old passports, whatever).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

lol internet. posted:

No birth certificate available for PR immigration application.

What are my options?

I have a letter from the UNHCR stating the country of birth did not provide birth certificates at the time of my birth but they can verify a person with my name was born on my birth date and that person left to immigrate to X country on X day.

Will that work for the application?

They may also expect you to try to apply for an official birth certificate from your country of origin and provide documentation that you tried and failed.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Yeah I will most likely have to use a affidavit.

When I lookup the country of birth it says they do give out birth certificates. But frankly I didn't get one due to being born in a refugee camp so I am stateless and not considered a national of that country.

Thanks!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'll most likely be entering graduate school in the US next year on an F-1 visa. My spouse (partner of five years, living together for a year and a half, not same-sex, not married) would very much like to come with me, but would need to be able to work since I seriously doubt my tiny grad student stipend would be able to support both of us if she was on an F-2 visa. We don't have high hopes for her being able to find a job online from Canada that would sponsor her, since she's not even having much luck finding a non-service sector job here in Canada, let alone long distance in another country. She does have a Master's Degree, but it's in Environmental Policy and Regulation not like a STEM field or anything.

Are we totally hosed? The reading I've been doing online looks like her only hope of getting a visa that lets her work is if she has a specific job offer that's willing to sponsor her. Will she even be able to get an F-2 visa if we're not married? Is there any way to upgrade an F-2 visa into one that lets you work?

e: whoops forgot to mention that we are coming from Canada and are both Canadian citizens.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 19, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You said spouse, but you also say that you aren't married. Do you have some sort of recognized status as a couple? You can apply for a dependent visa if you have some sort of officially recognized spousal relationship, like common law marriage or domestic partnerships. But it has to be something that is recognized by the country, if you guys are just living together and really serious about it but have nothing on paper then getting an F-2 is not really going to happen.

The easiest work status for a canadian to get is the TN. She would need to find a company to sponsor her for this, but it is pretty simple. But she has to fit into the list of recognized professions.

The best bet would be for her to enter a s F-2 (if that is possible) and then she can look around for positions in the US. When she finds someone who can/will sponsor her, she just needs to return to canada and re-enter with her support letter, etc. But your finances will have to support you that long.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, according to the Government of Canada I'm pretty certain we count as common-law partners, in that we have been living together in a conjugal relationship for over 12 months (this is the definition the federal government uses for both immigration and tax purposes, different provinces have their own definitions for other purposes). I have no idea whether the US recognizes that kind of thing for visa purposes though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

US immigration will recognize a common-law partnership if it is legal and recognized in your home country. But the immigration service doesn't want to spend time making a determination on how your home country views your situation - what they want is a piece of paper that tells them so they can process your case and move on with their work. I am not familiar with Canadian common-law partnerships. Do you register your partnership somewhere? Is it reflected in some kind of official documentation? Can you get your province/state to issue some acknowledgement of it? All those things could stand in place of a marriage certificate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

US immigration will recognize a common-law partnership if it is legal and recognized in your home country. But the immigration service doesn't want to spend time making a determination on how your home country views your situation - what they want is a piece of paper that tells them so they can process your case and move on with their work. I am not familiar with Canadian common-law partnerships. Do you register your partnership somewhere? Is it reflected in some kind of official documentation? Can you get your province/state to issue some acknowledgement of it? All those things could stand in place of a marriage certificate.

Yes, you can get a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, which is sworn in front of a notary public or commissioner of oaths and has the same legal weight as an oath. You present photo ID and I believe you also present your documentation (i.e. a co-signed lease etc.) but they don't actually check that any of it is true, they just certify that you are who you say you are and have made the declaration. We haven't done this because it's not necessary for any part of our lives here in Canada, but the process seems simple enough. Would this be adequate documentation for US Immigration, or do they need something more verifiable?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That certainly seems like it would be adequate. When it comes down to it, it's not like a marriage certificate is based on more than an oath in front of an appointed officer, so it should have the same weight, assuming that they accept the common-law status as transferable.

I can't give you a guarantee of any sort, because I haven't dealt with this specific issue (even if I had seen it before I would hesitate to give you an all-clear) What is ok is basically decided by the officer you see at the border (because you are a Canadian, you skip the visa application). It's possible that you will have an officer who doesn't think it qualifies and pushes back. I would definitely get the statutory declaration so that you have a clear document to show, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, I figured it might be subjective like that. We'll get the statutory declaration and hope that works. Thanks so much for all your help!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Ashcans posted:

As things stand, I would not tell you that you are free and clear, you have significant risks that you need to understand and account for. I really think you should talk to your own attorney about this situation before it gets ugly. Filing the I-130 would be a good safety net move to protect you in case anything goes wrong with the I-140.

I took your advice, and found my own lawyer the next day. They looked into it, found that my case should be coming up "any day now", and strongly advised that paying them to do the i130 would be a waste of money (although they would be happy to do it if I insisted). For better or worse I chose to listen to them, and just wait.

Now a month and a half later, my case is still pending. The company lawyer did a service request at the end of 2014, the response came back today that current processing times are taking up to 60 days longer than usual, but no other information. I'm currently on unpaid leave from my company. My 180 days are up on the 22nd.

What is the wise move here? It's very likely that I could find another company with a matching job description that would love to employ me. I'm not at all against going back to the lawyer and giving them money to humor me and file the i130 if that's the best option. If just getting another job with a matching description is the best option at this point, I can make that happen too. If just waiting longer (iirc the +60 days would be up mid February), I can handle that too.

If the only answer is "go find another lawyer to advise me specifically", I understand.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If your I-485 was filed on July 22, then I think the 180 days are up and you can look for a similar position now. If you are relatively confident you can do this, then that is certainly one option for you now that you've managed to ride out the time. There may be some sort of murky legal issues around (like whether the unpaid leave could be considered an issue for your petition) but if you move jobs and USCIS rfes your I-485, it likely won't come up as they generally look to confirm your current employment.

Just to be clear, has your I-140 been approved at this point? Or is it still pending with your I-485?

If you do decide to see a lawyer, I would suggest going back to the same one - you have already established they aren't looking to file things unnecessarily, and have already talked to you about your case. If your I-140 is approved and the I-485 is portable, there is less reason now to file the I-130 than there was before. But you might want to talk to them about portability - it's not required, but you can actually submit notice of your portability to USCIS when it happens to be proactive about it, and that is something they might help with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

My I-140 was approved on August 1st. Only the I-485 is still up in the air.

• Locked thread