Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
He was just a really dedicated Jon Irenicus cosplayer I think.

And I agree, the game has some really great story moments (the assault on Haven cums to mind), but for large stretches, you feel like you are fighting a ghost. I found it really odd that the game doesn't have an intro cut scenes. I figured I accidentally slipped it on my first play through, but there genuinely doesn't seem to be one. And as a result, you feel really lost in the beginning. Apparently, all the different backgrounds have different reason to be at the conclave, but if I wasn't told that, i would have no idea I was a Carta spy. And since you don't see Corphy for a long time, the entire purpose of the Inquisition wasn't really clear to me, at all. Refounding an ancient order for apparently no reason really had me scratch my head, especially because they never give a good reason for why they don't unite with the rest of the chantry. or better, I found the reason they gave pretty unconvincing.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

3) Use an army of demons summoned by the Grey Wardens to march across southern Thedas and assassinate the empress of Orlais. Why and why?

To conquer the south and return Tevinter to the bad old glory days.

quote:

4) Finally, after you clown him to the ends of the earth, he seeks the Well of Sorrows. Again, why? Or was he really looking for the Eluvian? Why?

Knowledge that would hopefully reveal to him another method to enter the Fade. He was fully aware the Orb is elven after all.

quote:

The most confusing part of this is the ending, where he uses the Orb again and creates another breach...If he could do that, why didn't he just DO THAT AGAIN?

Because it will destroy the world with him still in the world. By the time he sinks to that level he no longer cares about anything other than loving over everyone.

quote:

And what exactly is stopping him from entering the Fade physically? I'm assuming the Anchor, but if he has the Orb, can he not just get another one?

Yes, and it you listen to the dialog you would realize that doing so would take years. It would also require another source of magical power equal to the massive lyrium deposit that was under the Temple of Sacred Ashes.

e X posted:

He was just a really dedicated Jon Irenicus cosplayer I think.

He is nothing like Irenicus. For one thing, Irenicus actually succeeds at most of his plans and you only manage to stop him at the very last minute.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Offkorn posted:

To conquer the south and return Tevinter to the bad old glory days.

Alright I figured that.

Offkorn posted:

Knowledge that would hopefully reveal to him another method to enter the Fade. He was fully aware the Orb is elven after all.

I feel like he probably should have just done that in the first place, then.

Offkorn posted:

Because it will destroy the world with him still in the world. By the time he sinks to that level he no longer cares about anything other than loving over everyone.

What a big baby.

Offkorn posted:

Yes, and it you listen to the dialog you would realize that doing so would take years. It would also require another source of magical power equal to the massive lyrium deposit that was under the Temple of Sacred Ashes.

Okay that makes sense, although I'm unclear as to whether lyrium can be 'used up' so in the beginning when he used the Orb wouldn't there not have been any left when he does it the second time?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

He is nothing like Irenicus. For one thing, Irenicus actually succeeds at most of his plans and you only manage to stop him at the very last minute.

That last part there is what stood out the most to me. Corphy was just some weak poo poo at actually punking the player, even when he tried that one time he failed utterly.

I was really expecting him to 1) Bust out some darkspawn towards the end, once he got desperate enough. He had a pet "Archdemon" after all + the whole Leader of the Seven thing (which doesn't seem to really go anywhere either, come on Bioware include some Taken / Forsaken, those kind of characters are always great foils - unlike the random crowd of clown mages that henches it up for Corphy). Perhaps to fit his motivations/personality/implied backstory the Darkspawn wouldn't be his go-to method, whatever price it might have. That or actually tying into Awakening and having him use those Sentinent Darkspawn, but I barely remember the plot of that expansion.
2) Us (player and him) to actually end up in Black City, after he manages a late-story Reversal on the player and you have to hunt him down before he does whatever he intended there, instead of the steady steamroller that was everything after Act 1 (fall of Haven) and "Oops, out of time, better wrap this up - Time for a last Boss Fight I guess, Burn the World!"

Not that those points would be advanced storytelling (or that I found Darkspawn particularly interesting as they have been presented), but I was surprised that they weren't included to get at least some closure/exploration to Corphy's true motives and means (beyond the LoLNewGod poo poo) :iiam:

He did have a pretty bitching theme song though.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 31, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Pimpmust posted:

He did have a pretty bitching theme song though.

Yeah, the Elder One Theme and Doom Upon All The World on the soundtrack are sweet as hell.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It did feel like he showed up, people followed him for no good reason, then he took stinging defeats every time he tried to do anything, then he died.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Even the assault on Haven was largely a pointless failure because the only people who can die during it are largely pointless nobodies, the Inquisitor and all his/her companions and advisors survive, the network of spies, armed forces, and diplomatic relations seem unmolested, it lead to Solas remembering there's an invincible super-fort not too far away and meanwhile Corphy took massive casualties and had to reveal himself to an enemy that previously didn't even know he was pulling the strings.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I mostly mean his looks. I just can't look at him and see anything but Irenicus at steroids. But I agree, he just isn't all that intimidating of a villain, mostly because what his motivation and origin is somewhat nebulous.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Archdemons being what they are (or rather, what they are not), the series is lacking some sort of central villain/big bads that every other sort of fantasy series has, which is a bit of a mystery (in what Bioware were/are thinking when setting this all up). Seems like they have built a world that's decidedly against/not working with the sort of Epic-sized stories they insist on telling.

Exception possibly being DA2, but I haven't played that and it doesn't seem Bioware is sticking with that scale either.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Does anyone have a mod to change solas's appearance? For story purposes I really want to do the female elf romance playthrough...but he looks a lot like a guy I used to work with whom I loathe. It's weirding me out to be nice to him.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
On Awakening: After beating Inquisition to a pulp and Cory quipping about how no one has seen the other returned Magisters, I really get the feeling that the Architect wasn't an 'intelligent Darkspawn' so much as he was a returned Magister with some pretty heavy amnesia who probably had been 'living amongst his people' for 1000 years. I still don't feel like he was someone to kill just because "ew Darkspawn evil" due to the fact that most Darkspawn are former surfaces, and the Architect was quite reasonable. I feel like we'll see him in the Warden DLC.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gort posted:

It did feel like he showed up, people followed him for no good reason, then he took stinging defeats every time he tried to do anything, then he died.

It would have been nice if he had some kind of victory post Haven. I mean, he forces us to sacrifice Hawke or Loghain, but they are hardly a part of the game. If he forced us to make a Ashley/Kaiden choice like Saren did in ME1, it might have felt more personal. At the very least he needed to get something.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

It would have been nice if he had some kind of victory post Haven. I mean, he forces us to sacrifice Hawke or Loghain, but they are hardly a part of the game. If he forced us to make a Ashley/Kaiden choice like Saren did in ME1, it might have felt more personal. At the very least he needed to get something.

Huh. I thought that the choice between Hawke or Stroud was fairly anaemic. I didn't even consider that Alistair or Loghain could be there instead, that makes it MUCH nastier!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
One problem with the choice in the fade regarding Hawke or Stroud is that it didn't really feel like Corypheus doing it to us - it was more the fear demon. Sure, it serves Corypheus, but directly it's the fear demon sat there taunting you, not Corypheus - so it feels a bit disconnected from him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gort posted:

One problem with the choice in the fade regarding Hawke or Stroud is that it didn't really feel like Corypheus doing it to us - it was more the fear demon. Sure, it serves Corypheus, but directly it's the fear demon sat there taunting you, not Corypheus - so it feels a bit disconnected from him.

I can't imagine Cory gives a crap about either of them so it's a fake choice really.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it's not like Corphy is there personally or planning the whole thing even.

Really, most of his "lieutenants" feel pretty disconnected from the man himself (and the rest of the game), other than the few "I totally work for the Elder One" letters/lines you encounter. The funniest henchmen are the ones that don't even warrant cutscenes, but are built up in letters you find, but I kept offing those guys before checking their nametags and only realized afterwards that yeah, that was probably that dude (the evil french jester-ninjas are the best).

Those guys could really have used some actual voiced appearances and build-up, although I guess it's funny to just bump them over wherever you go. "Ultimate poweeeerrrr~blargh~".

Imshael
was probably the best one, and you even got to have little chat with him, even if he seemed mostly a joke character.

Games usually introduces the sub-boss crowd during the intro/first big set-back, even if they are just walking with the big boss himself in the background. A missed opportunity for the tutorial level, even if the wartable and codex-entries kinda try to support them.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 31, 2014

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah it's not like Corphy is there personally or planning the whole thing even.

Really, most of his "lieutenants" feel pretty disconnected from the man himself (and the rest of the game), other than the few "I totally work for the Elder One" letters/lines you encounter. The funniest henchmen are the ones that don't even warrant cutscenes, but are built up in letters you find, but I kept offing those guys before checking their nametags and only realized afterwards that yeah, that was probably that dude (the evil french jester-ninjas are the best).

Those guys could really have used some actual voiced appearances and build-up, although I guess it's funny to just bump them over wherever you go. "Ultimate poweeeerrrr~blargh~".

Imshael
was probably the best one, and you even got to have little chat with him, even if he seemed mostly a joke character.

But then how could they fit in more sidequests if they developed the henchmen???

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lotish posted:

Yeah, having to choose between party members you have been getting to know and like over the >30 hours of the game works way better emotionally than the player character you made in the last game or the dude who joined your party for the last act of the first game and is guaranteed to die an early death anyway.

I think Corphy would have also made a better villain if he just stayed hidden for the whole game and you spent the game trying to get people to realize he exists like with the Reapers in ME1. Sure, everyone recognizes the Red Templars exist and are evil, but you're telling me some 1000 year old Tvinter magister is controlling them so he can enter the Black City and ascend to Godhood? Pfft, shut up Inquisitor.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm having some difficulty remembering the last Bioware game that spent any significant time developing Lt-Henchmen, I don't even think Kai Leng counts for how half-assed it was. Neither Mass Effect or Dragon Age games I've played do that, really. Lots of time spent on your companions, barely nothing on the big bad and less than nothing on his followers/mini-bosses.

e: It would really help to have well developed sub-bosses, because then they wouldn't need to have the Big Bad come across as an incompetent idiot that gets foiled constantly until you mercy-kill him.

Really should take a page out of Platinum Games book there :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 31, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pimpmust posted:

I'm having some difficulty remembering the last Bioware game that spent any significant time developing Lt-Henchmen, I don't even think Kai Leng counts for how half-assed it was. Neither Mass Effect or Dragon Age games I've played do that, really. Lots of time spent on your companions, barely nothing on the big bad and less than nothing on his followers/mini-bosses.

Really should take a page out of Platinum Games book there :v:

I think that depends on if you look at Loghain as a bad guy or not. He and Howe both got some degree of characterization. And calling her a henchman would be a stretch, but so did Anora.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'd count Loghain more with the likes of TIM, sorta-the-real-antagonist of their respective stories (rather than the Force Of Nature-Without Personality that Bioware likes to make their main baddies into). I remember Howe, kinda, so I guess that counts as 1 dude and that Tevinter mage in Inq maybe, but it doesn't really feel like Bioware puts a lot of resources into their villains.

e: The bare minimum should really be a proper Introduction to the character, separate from the time you bump into them that ends in a (possible) fight/death with that character. Sprinkled letters with a few lines worth of fore-shadowing and "named" ordinary enemy doesn't count. But here even the main baddy is barely present for much of the story, and we get like what... 3-4 proper scenes with him?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 31, 2014

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So pretty much the only reason corys original plan failed was cause some random Cole wannabe spirit saw this green ball going to Cory but deflected it to your PC

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Psyker posted:

On Awakening: After beating Inquisition to a pulp and Cory quipping about how no one has seen the other returned Magisters, I really get the feeling that the Architect wasn't an 'intelligent Darkspawn' so much as he was a returned Magister with some pretty heavy amnesia who probably had been 'living amongst his people' for 1000 years. I still don't feel like he was someone to kill just because "ew Darkspawn evil" due to the fact that most Darkspawn are former surfaces, and the Architect was quite reasonable. I feel like we'll see him in the Warden DLC.

I don't know, after reading The Calling his plans didn't really sound that reasonable to me.

I agree he's probably going to make a return though, and I'm really looking forward to it playing through that story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OxMan posted:

So pretty much the only reason corys original plan failed was cause some random Cole wannabe spirit saw this green ball going to Cory but deflected it to your PC

No, because an old woman slapped him when you opened the door.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cythereal posted:

No, because an old woman slapped him when you opened the door.

If only his grandma was still alive to scold him into submission.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Have you seen Corypheus nails? It's not easy holding onto anything with those without breaking them. Painful that.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Regarding the plot and villain: I think the assault on Haven and the introduction to Corypheus was incredible. That entire set piece was extremely well done. The problem was he was completely ineffective as a villain after that. Corypheus kinda just flails around then dies. There isn't even a final dungeon, you just choose "Fight Corypheus" and you walk up to him and do so.

I don't think they should have had a moment where you are forced to sacrifice a party member or anything like that.

If it were me, I would have had him succeed in the Temple of Mythal. Where you clear your way to the pool and drink from it, but he foresaw this and you end up losing and he ends up winning here. He's one of the high magisters, he should be conniving. Then having an actual end game dungeon.

What's it with Bioware not being able to make great endings after ME2 anymore?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 31, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Regarding the plot and villain: I think the assault on Haven and the introduction to Corypheus was incredible. That entire set piece was extremely well done. The problem was he was completely ineffective as a villain after that. Corypheus kinda just flails around then dies. There isn't even a final dungeon, you just choose "Fight Corypheus" and you walk up to him and do so.

I don't think they should have had a moment where you are forced to sacrifice a party member or anything like that.

If it were me, I would have had him succeed in the Temple of Mythal. Where you clear your way to the pool and drink from it, but he foresaw this and you end up losing and he ends up winning here. He's one of the high magisters, he should be conniving. Then having an actual end game dungeon.

While it is obvious that the story is trying to build up Flemeth and, I guess now, Solas as the main "villain" with Corypheus as the biggest pawn/miscalculation on their parts, he does come off as kind of anemic. He had his big plan ruined by pure chance and just failed to adapt at all afterwards. I know his flaw is arrogance, but there's a big gulf between arrogant and incompetent.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think that is just the result of the Dragon Age universe being kind of tone deaf.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

A Game of Chess posted:

I don't know, after reading The Calling his plans didn't really sound that reasonable to me.

I agree he's probably going to make a return though, and I'm really looking forward to it playing through that story.

There... There's Dragon Age books?

I'm outta here!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Psyker posted:

the Warden DLC.

whoa whoa whoa, has this been teased/announced?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pimpmust posted:

Those guys could really have used some actual voiced appearances and build-up, although I guess it's funny to just bump them over wherever you go.

Imagine this game with Middle Earth's Nemesis system with zealots spies darkspawn assassins etc emergently based on your alliances and decisions. Would own.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

How do I specialise my Inquisitor? I have the quest to do so (I think) but the quest marker leads me to the war room to find a combat trainer and I can't talk to people in there...?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Fraction posted:

How do I specialise my Inquisitor? I have the quest to do so (I think) but the quest marker leads me to the war room to find a combat trainer and I can't talk to people in there...?

There's a quest on the war table to summon the trainers so the next time you come back from a mission there's a cinematic showing them entering all broody-like.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fraction posted:

It's a war table quest, you recruit three specialist to train you. I think the marker is somewhere at the sword coast.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Ah, I should have thought to check the war table itself :downs: as a mage, which specialisation is best? I tend to like elemental spells/aoe spells mostly.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fraction posted:

Ah, I should have thought to check the war table itself :downs: as a mage, which specialisation is best? I tend to like elemental spells/aoe spells mostly.

Rift mage is best if you like big magical explosions. Knight Enchanter is best if you want to be broken as balls (or pretend to be a 2h warrior for a few seconds) and necromancer is best if you like making enemies work for you.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Psyker posted:

There... There's Dragon Age books?

I'm outta here!

They're pretty terribly written so I can't entirely recommend them, but they're interesting for the extra information they provide about the characters.

JawKnee posted:

whoa whoa whoa, has this been teased/announced?

Nothing definitive, but considering the stuff about Weisshaupt going dark post-game and that backwards speech someone deciphered that speaks about the Calling and "go to him" as well as the Hero of Ferelden being on a quest to end the Calling, it seems a likely development.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

DrProsek posted:

Rift mage is best if you like big magical explosions. Knight Enchanter is best if you want to be broken as balls (or pretend to be a 2h warrior for a few seconds) and necromancer is best if you like making enemies work for you.

Does rift mage only work when near an open rift or does it work any time?

Knight enchanter would make me get too close for comfort :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fraction posted:

Does rift mage only work when near an open rift or does it work any time?

Knight enchanter would make me get too close for comfort :ohdear:

Your companions get specializations before you do just respec everyone and try it out. Rift Mage is support disables Necromancer is offensive fire hybrid and Arcane Warriors spam a lightsaber and burst damage spells while maintaining a barrier through damage for tanking.

• Locked thread