Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Beautiful treatise. I like the little signs of minor characters. Mort's helmet, Hettie's doll, and the shy little fairy hiding in the bush. I'm kind of surprised that fairy merited an appearance on a treatise. Maybe she'll come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I have a feeling we'll meet her rabbit friend again when s/he comes to the Court.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That circled dot plus the symbol of the creator above Kat totally looks like an eye, nose, and mouth in some kind of comic style. Now that I've seen that I can't unsee it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Where 'I' appeared in the original Greek, 'J' usually appears in English now. Jenny or Jack? I was thinking Jenny when I began this post but actually Jack has a pretty deep involvement in that particular mess.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ArcMage posted:

Where 'I' appeared in the original Greek, 'J' usually appears in English now. Jenny or Jack? I was thinking Jenny when I began this post but actually Jack has a pretty deep involvement in that particular mess.

Well Gamma is where C is now, so that probably lines up. Might also mean that Zimmy's real name is something that starts with 'F' and probably something she hates more than a nickname based off a code-name.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Gamma, Zeta and Iota?

Hrrrmmmmm...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Red Queen posted:

The grass is dead under Annie's feet, or actually maybe is just dirt. Wonder what that's conveying.

I think its meant to ground her directly on the element earth.

The robot's eyes are lit, they are following Kat, its not a graveyard by my reading. Just noticed how similar Kat's symbol is to the alchemical symbol for lead too--metal for robots?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It looks like Reynard's front leg is bandaged up. So I'm taking some foreshadowing on that, but he should just transform into doll form, and get stitched up. (Or maybe that's what happened...)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm particularly interested in Reynard appearing on Kat's side.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kyte posted:

He's the nature/dog spirit that lives in the court

e. and the bottom of the image strikes me as the most important. Both Kat and Annie are planted on their either sides (Annie etheric, Kat the science of the court) but their histories and abilities bleed over onto the other side. Annie was raised in a hospital and is from the court and had her etheric spirit bound somehow; sciency Kat works most effectively when the ether is present (recall her at RotD. Now note below Kat and Annie. Human progress plows into the natural world, whereas nature always reaches out and breaks down human constructs, given enough time.

I read this as Kat and Annie are destined to break down the barrier between Court and woods because of their mixed backgrounds, breaking down the long standing stalemate between the two.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Kyte posted:

He's been on her side before, in Treatise 4.

For reference:
Treatise 1
Treatise 2
Treatise 3
Treatise 4
Treatise 5
Treatise 6

There's more than a few recurring themes, like the triangles, but triangles are loving everywhere all the time in everything anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What does the circle with the horns at the very top in the middle represent?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What does the circle with the horns at the very top in the middle represent?

That's the symbol for bismuth.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

And the decorations at the upper corners represent, uh, let's say Baphomet.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I thought Zeta was Zimmy's actual name, same for Gamma?

EDIT - Yep http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=73

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 31, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Super Waffle posted:

I thought Zeta was Zimmy's actual name, same for Gamma?

EDIT - Yep http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=73

That really doesn't confirm anything, people use nicknames all the time, plus what I posted earlier ( http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=191) has some court guy calling Gamma Miss Czarnecki.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brightman posted:

That really doesn't confirm anything, people use nicknames all the time, plus what I posted earlier ( http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=191) has some court guy calling Gamma Miss Czarnecki.

"Zimmy's real name is Zeta, but she doesn't like it. Gamma is the tall girl."
Note that this doesn't say that the tall girl's real name is Gamma.

Also there's the whole first name/family name thing, so she could perfectly well be named Gamma Czarnecki.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brightman posted:

Well Gamma is where C is now, so that probably lines up.
Could you rephrase this in some way because I have no idea what this sentence means and it's bothering me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Splicer posted:

Could you rephrase this in some way because I have no idea what this sentence means and it's bothering me.

A, B, C,...
alpha, beta, gamma,...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bilirubin posted:

A, B, C,...
alpha, beta, gamma,...
Thanks, I'll be over here feeling slow.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

"Zimmy's real name is Zeta, but she doesn't like it. Gamma is the tall girl."
Note that this doesn't say that the tall girl's real name is Gamma.

Also there's the whole first name/family name thing, so she could perfectly well be named Gamma Czarnecki.

Czarnecki is a polish surname, while Gamma is a really really not-polish name :v: I guess she has another name, but it might be something that Zimmy doesn't like (or can't pronounce like "Żaneta"), so she just calls her Gamma. It's wierd that "Zeta" is a real name, it would fit if they had codes given to the by the court coming from the greek alphabet, and that's why Zimmy would call Ms Czarnecki by her codename: Gamma.

Or I might be completely off, because I just checked an internet polish name database and apparently there's "Gemma" as a lady name, huh. But I've never ever seen or even heard of anyone here having such a name, so it's still a non-polish name to me.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Kikas posted:

Or I might be completely off, because I just checked an internet polish name database and apparently there's "Gemma" as a lady name, huh. But I've never ever seen or even heard of anyone here having such a name, so it's still a non-polish name to me.

Living in Poland, I haven't heard of anybody with that name, either. Though I suppose it's not enough to rule out that Gamma might be her actual name, given that we already have a character who's actually named Antimony.

It doesn't take much knowledge of Greek to know the word/letter gamma, even school math classes would be enough for that, but it would still be pretty weird as a name anywhere.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kikas posted:

I know a couple of Gemmas but they are Italian

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Brightman posted:

He's been on her side before, in Treatise 4.

For reference:
Treatise 1
Treatise 2
Treatise 3
Treatise 4
Treatise 5
Treatise 6

There's more than a few recurring themes, like the triangles, but triangles are loving everywhere all the time in everything anyway.

I still love the angel with the photodiodes for eyes in 5.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

The Red Queen posted:

The grass is dead under Annie's feet, or actually maybe is just dirt. Wonder what that's conveying.

It happens in some buddhist art where the saintly figure is depicted barefoot in the dirt. It's meant to convey a very deep connection to the earth, and being grounded and natural. Being on the grass is natural, but the dirt is even more so.

Hand position is super important in buddhist iconography as well, and Kat's hands convey giving (left hand, above annie's ) and uncertainty (right hand, that hand is guarded and nervous).

Annie's hands are receiving (right hand, below kat's, and outstretched and palm up) and confidence/security (left on hip)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Splicer posted:

I shouldn't have capitalized gamma probably, my bad.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Tom, you check the boot of the car for loot, not the seats. Have you never played a video game?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No reason not to check if the car is unlocked already so you can just pull the trunk open handle instead of brute forcing the trunk or door open.

Also, I get the funny feeling that the mystery lady could be Annie's daughter in a post-apocalyptic future. I'm not sure why...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
That is a stunningly pretty page for a routine announcement. An announcement of a break in which the updates from the creator paradoxically increase. Truly Gunnerkrigg Court is a land of contrasts.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is it time for.... City Face?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tea & Tom seem to be growing up.

Also they've travelled quite a long way since their last check-in.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Looks like a pretty bleak setting. I wonder if these missives have a story connection with the Gunnerkrigg universe

RandomPauI posted:

Also, I get the funny feeling that the mystery lady could be Annie's daughter in a post-apocalyptic future. I'm not sure why...

That's an interesting idea. And the whole comic is her(Tea) and Tom retelling the story of how the world ended.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

RandomPauI posted:

No reason not to check if the car is unlocked already so you can just pull the trunk open handle instead of brute forcing the trunk or door open.

Nah, that's Tea, Tom's avatar/expositionary character. She's appeared a few times.

(Does anyone have the link for that page of her being completely unimpressed with the end of chapter notes?) Okay, wheel 'er in.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 2, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Daktar posted:

Nah, that's Tea, Tom's avatar/expositionary character. She's appeared a few times.

(Does anyone have the link for that page of her being completely unimpressed with the end of chapter notes?) Okay, wheel 'er in.

There's another one where they're on a rowboat, but I'm lazy and am not going to look for it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think there's any overarching thing behind the tea+tom splash pages (is splash page the right term? i'm not 100% on that)

i think i found all of them while trying to figure that out though

it's a pretty great example of skill evolving over time

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also dang wow tea's eyes are crazy luminous in #4

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tollymain posted:

also dang wow tea's eyes are crazy luminous in #4
I liked that page so much it was my avatar for a while. It's currently my avatar on Steam. Two avatars ago, before they could be the nice size they can be now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, it's a really nice picture and her hood looks so fluffy you can nearly feel it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hope this means we're getting a road trip sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
These pages don't mean anything, folks. They just look neat.