Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
They were flown out (as confirmed in articles, etc). Apparently the cars fell into the hands of the mob.

I got around to watching The Perfect Road Trip 2. For a "road trip" they did way too many laps around tracks. Frankly, it'd be better if it were one long sequence of Hammond and Clarkson challenging each other to get to a specific place first, and then Clarkson doing something Hammond didn't expect to come in ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

It was a rare little sight into the Jeremy under the Jeremy. For that reason alone this would have been kind of a landmark episode.

And on that bombshell.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

the spyder posted:

For how long they drew out the special, I would love to know two things: How they got out and the state of the cars today. I would put good money on the hosts being flown out and the cars being torched.

Like letting go when I'm screaming I'm about to cum, the climax of the whole ordeal was ruined in editorial. While they've been pretty transparent about how they got out and why and how it all ended, I'm also surprised none of it was mentioned or filmed or shown in the final episode. When it gets tidied up with a Cassidy reference it is a very neat local news story kinda wrap up rather than the messy ordeal that it should've been.

I'm saying they gave Argentina the benefit of the doubt on this and that's terrible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The cars are currently in a garage in Argentina, or maybe they are in a junkyard.

http://www.elpatagonico.net/nota/263120-ahora-los-ingleses-quieren-recuperar-los-autos-de-top-gear/#galleryintv01962v5

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the article repeats for a fact that the plates were falsified in order to refer to the war (including the one about the "number of fatalities").

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

tuna posted:

I'm saying they gave Argentina the benefit of the doubt on this and that's terrible.

I'm glad they did that, there's a whole country of Argentinians out there that didn't show up and threaten an entertainment program about cars because they're not insane.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What have topgear done?
Russia are sending su-24s to Argentina (trading them for food rather than selling in some arms deal)
http://www.janes.com/article/47293/uk-reviews-falklands-defence-as-russia-offers-su-24s-to-argentina
http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/29/su-24-fuerza-aerea-argentina/

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The plate thing is something that top gear is probably dumb enough to try at some point: but they clearly didn't do it in this case. The chance of finding that Porsche 928 for sale, buying it and then organising a special based around it all for a plate that isn't that explicit seems a little too subtle for top gear. Instead they'd do something a lot more open and blatant like the slogan thing they always used to do, and I think that its obvious that Top Gear wouldn't put their crew in that sort of danger especially over a very small thing (the America thing is a counterpoint to that: but I think that was based on an assumption that "American people wouldn't go and try to shoot at people with silly slogans on their car, right???")

Although knowing their record and the way that Argentina have a stick up their arse over the Falklands (fanned by the Argentine government to distract people from the lovely Argentine economy) they probably should have double and triple checked everything to try and catch something like that before they flew out just so they could organise a plate replacement to prevent that sort of anger...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My favourite part about the Falklands war was not a numberplate, but bringing those old V bombers out of retirement and doing that insane operation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck :colbert:

Can we move on?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The American south thing was entirely different. No one cared about their slogans. They only were in danger when some crazy lady called up some good ole boys to harass them. Even then, I don't think anyone in the south of the US is dumb enough to actually attack people with a big film crew.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The American south thing was entirely different. No one cared about their slogans. They only were in danger when some crazy lady called up some good ole boys to harass them. Even then, I don't think anyone in the south of the US is dumb enough to actually attack people with a big film crew.

Also the American South one was probably set up and fake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FogHelmut posted:

Also the American South one was probably set up and fake.

Yeah, I think they admitted as much. Just like a lot of the "damage" during the hovercraft episode was staged. On the other hand, they've been inescapably clear that the Argentina situation was real and dangerous.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
That special was great! Probably my 2nd favorite next to the Vietnam one.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

IceAgeComing posted:

The plate thing is something that top gear is probably dumb enough to try at some point: but they clearly didn't do it in this case. The chance of finding that Porsche 928 for sale, buying it and then organising a special based around it all for a plate that isn't that explicit seems a little too subtle for top gear. Instead they'd do something a lot more open and blatant like the slogan thing they always used to do, and I think that its obvious that Top Gear wouldn't put their crew in that sort of danger especially over a very small thing (the America thing is a counterpoint to that: but I think that was based on an assumption that "American people wouldn't go and try to shoot at people with silly slogans on their car, right???")

Although knowing their record and the way that Argentina have a stick up their arse over the Falklands (fanned by the Argentine government to distract people from the lovely Argentine economy) they probably should have double and triple checked everything to try and catch something like that before they flew out just so they could organise a plate replacement to prevent that sort of anger...
According to James May on this interview the chances of getting a 928 with that number plate was actually 1 in 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rkw_N9pNms

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Vitamin J posted:

According to James May on this interview the chances of getting a 928 with that number plate was actually 1 in 2:

May does a great job on this, he delivers some very reasonable points with sincerity. I honestly believe that Clarkson specifically wanted a 928 and found that particular one in good nick, and nobody gave a second thought to the number plate while inspecting and purchasing the car. I still have a hard time believing that no one on the staff of a show known for being politically incorrect and delivering subtle off-color jokes noticed the plate before they got to Argentina. In part one they even made reference to the fact that there was another rego being processed and a new plate was being shipped to Ushuaia, so obviously they had some idea that it could potentially be offensive.

Even if the crew were aware of the plate the Argentinian reaction was entirely uncalled for and, if anything, I feel that it painted a small group of their population in a very poor light. There's something to be said for mob mentality regardless of the locale or motivation; with editing the footage portrays the Top Gear staff in a very positive light, but the hands-in-the-air "we didn't do it THIS time" strikes me a bit sour.

They certainly managed to create quite the media storm around the thing, though...any press is good press.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One thing I wish either James or the radio host had mentioned was specifically the notion that Top Gear has, in the past, made number-plate-based jokes. And they're prone to repeating gags that have worked in the past (they're still getting mileage out of Hammond's teeth).

There was that episode a few years back where they had the small classic British sports cars, which had plates that Clarkson pointed out were oblique anagrams of oval office and GOSH and LIAR. Now, I missed the audio of that portion, so I was under the impression that it was just a couple of lingering camera shots of the plates that everyone in this thread was chuckling about, and I thought it was just a "thing" with British number plate culture that you're supposed to be able to infer really esoteric words from muddled-up letters interspersed with random numbers. That, plus the fact that all three of the cars had "anagram" plates, and that all of them were pointedly shown to relate to their drivers in some way, made it seem like they had specifically chosen the cars for their plates. That means it felt like it was possible that they had pulled strings of some kind to deliberately do a plate-based gag here, whether because maybe the Argentinians don't know the intricacies of the British plate system very well (hell, the rules are entirely different for every US state), or because they'd found the car first and then created the concept of an Argentina (excuse me, Patagonia) special in which they could at least share some knowing smirks with the camera and give some nods to Britain's military history the way they'd done recently in Ukraine and Iraq.

So what I'm saying is, I wish James had at least said, "Yes, I know we are known for having done number-plate-based gags in the past, but believe it or not, this was simply a coincidence; before we had even started looking for cars to buy, we had decided we wanted to go to Argentina for the following very compelling reasons, none of which had to do with gloating about the war."

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 31, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cellular Suicide posted:

In part one they even made reference to the fact that there was another rego being processed and a new plate was being shipped to Ushuaia, so obviously they had some idea that it could potentially be offensive.

They had another plate in the trunk that said BE11END. Argentina took some more offense to that as they thought Top Gear was calling all of Argentina a bell end.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Usually whenever they do any of those number plate, or "Peniston Oils" gags, they're blatantly obvious, sure I suppose you could hide it a bit with some tricky editing, but I think if the number plate was meant to stir something up it would have been as blatantly obvious as every other time they do it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seriously, Top Gear is as subtle as Jeremy's character.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The best thing to come of this is that I got lost in Wikipedia for 2 hours reading about the Falklands war and South American politics.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
This is the show where they rode through Vietnam being followed by a motorocycle painted like the American flag with Born In The USA blaring on loop the entire way

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Top Gear was tipped off that the plate might've been offensive via Twitter right as they arrived to film. Someone got the word out to Clarkson himself. There wasn't much they could do to swap in a legal plate.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Drakkel posted:

This is the show where they rode through Vietnam being followed by a motorocycle painted like the American flag with Born In The USA blaring on loop the entire way

On the US edit of the show they were playing something else for fear of offending people (but still left the snarky comments- which now made NO sense). Seriously- anyone who has it on Amazon can attest to this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

West SAAB Story posted:

On the US edit of the show they were playing something else for fear of offending people (but still left the snarky comments- which now made NO sense). Seriously- anyone who has it on Amazon can attest to this.

You sure it was because they didn't want to offend US audiences? TGUK changes music for US airings due to licensing issues.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

holocaust bloopers posted:

You sure it was because they didn't want to offend US audiences? TGUK changes music for US airings due to licensing issues.

Wikipedia doesn't really say why, but did note that they did use the Star Spangled Banner on both Netflix and iTunes versions of TGUK. I doubt it'd be difficult to get Bruce to take more money, but my statement was entirely speculatory. It was intended to be both tongue-in-cheek and quasi-serious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

West SAAB Story posted:

Wikipedia doesn't really say why, but did note that they did use the Star Spangled Banner on both Netflix and iTunes versions of TGUK. I doubt it'd be difficult to get Bruce to take more money, but my statement was entirely speculatory.

Well he never got any money. Due to the BBC being publicly funded, the show never has to pay for music. That's why some bits get changed for US audiences.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well he never got any money. Due to the BBC being publicly funded, the show never has to pay for music. That's why some bits get changed for US audiences.

I figured they'd have to be shown here in the states. BBC America has commercials, and I assume that revenue travels back for the licensing here.. I can't see that working otherwise.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The way I heard it works is that the copyright law in the UK states that SOMEONE needs to be paid for the rights. So the BBC has set up a company to be paid for music they want to use. The rights holders can then get the money from that company.

This has some interesting effects since they never need to negotiate for the rights to use a particular piece of music they can do cool things like use movie soundtracks which can normally only be licensed for the movie it was written for. But when they release outside of the UK, they need to follow international law.

My favorite example is actually when they dropped Pink Floyd's "money" for some random funky sounding tune that fit in not at all with what's on screen or when they have to replace the A-Team theme for build montages.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Huh. I done learned something today. :downs:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Huh. I done learned something today. :downs:

yes but my memory was not quite correct.

from the Final Gear Forums:

quote:

First, the use and distribution of any copyrighted music in a TV show (or any other medium) is subject to the permission of the copyright owner. This is theoretically true throughout the western world. However, BBC Television (UK) has the afore-mentioned blanket agreement with a British performing rights society called PRS. It grants BBC TV that permission for any music represented by PRS (which is a large amount, but finite). Now, this is only for broadcast in the UK. Instead of paying individual licences to each copyright holder, BBC TV pays a sum fee for this right and saves millions.

No broadcasters have such rights here in the States. So, prior permissions, usually accompanied by heavily negotiated fees, are required for using music here. Good old American supply and demand dictates that the more popular the song, the more expensive it will be to use. So, stating the obvious, that's why you hear "knockoffs" on the History Channel.

So here's where it all ties in: Though it's owned by BBC (UK), BBC America is an American network (just like History Channel) and BBC TV's UK blanket agreement doesn't cover broadcasting PRS music here. Chances are, if you're watching Top Gear on BBC America (or DVD), you're hearing some of the music originally broadcast on the BBC (UK), but you're also actually hearing a lot of knockoff music that's replaced the original music in editing. For practical or creative purposes, the producers will have wanted to retain as much of the original music they can afford - and they can probably afford a lot on Top Gear's budget. For instance, the theme song "Jessica" has become an iconic part of the show in the UK, so they were willing to pay the hefty licensing fees to preserve it here in the States. It's probably not so with some of The Stig's driving sequences.

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/bbc-music-rights-48688/

edit: Also I've read that certain acts (U2) have an agreement to keep their music from being used in this way.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I think they admitted as much. Just like a lot of the "damage" during the hovercraft episode was staged. On the other hand, they've been inescapably clear that the Argentina situation was real and dangerous.

Not really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG0D2nRGrQ

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

West SAAB Story posted:

Wikipedia doesn't really say why, but did note that they did use the Star Spangled Banner on both Netflix and iTunes versions of TGUK. I doubt it'd be difficult to get Bruce to take more money, but my statement was entirely speculatory. It was intended to be both tongue-in-cheek and quasi-serious.

In a weird twist, the Star Spangled Banner would actually work better for the joke. Born In the USA is emphatically not a jingoistic song.

It's on a level with Every Step You Take for songs that people chronically misinterpret in really alarming ways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

In a weird twist, the Star Spangled Banner would actually work better for the joke. Born In the USA is emphatically not a jingoistic song.

It's on a level with Every Step You Take for songs that people chronically misinterpret in really alarming ways.

Born in the USA is a song about a guy going to Vietnam and later being poo poo on by everyone back at home. It kind of fits.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Data Graham posted:

Every presidential election here in the US we have a conservative rally playing 'Born in the USA'. Kind of says it all really.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In Australia we have "Khe Sanh" and it's something people would start singing when drunk. It was pretty much the standard unofficial national loving anthem mate, what the gently caress you lookin' at?.

It also happens to about a Vietnam veteran with severe PTSD and drug addictions looking to die. But, one hell of a chorus.

Now I wonder if every country has a song like that?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
drat that was a good episode.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

Yes, and No. As already stated the song was about a Vietnam vet, and it is basically what made Bruce the start he was in the 80s. Contextually, it is a bit more brash than playing SSB.

What is it with the Police and people trying to draw meaning from Sting songs? I mean, "De Do Do Do - De Da Da Da" means exactly what? I'm sure it is something racial or snide if it plays over Clarksons' bits, but that is a given. :v:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I don't know anything about prices in UK but those cars were mint, must have been the most expensive cars they trashed on the show, especially that esprit, it was not the base model. I made a few searches on classifieds and a good condition 91 928GT in manual is around 13k€ ($16k) and the only v8 esprit I could find was 39k€ ($47k)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I don't want to think what a Mach 1 Mustang costs in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Sh4 posted:

I don't know anything about prices in UK but those cars were mint, must have been the most expensive cars they trashed on the show, especially that esprit, it was not the base model. I made a few searches on classifieds and a good condition 91 928GT in manual is around 13k€ ($16k) and the only v8 esprit I could find was 39k€ ($47k)

Didn't they leave the lotus more or less intact? The pickup hackjobs of the other two seemed unnecessary but the lotus looked like it was just fine shortly before the end.

E: And considering the cost of flying out cars, 30+ crew, etc for several weeks, 50k for cars isn't that much. I believe they stated they lost over 100k of camera equipment alone.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 31, 2014