Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Going to assume they mean 'deep metals' (aka Adamantium), but I would guess the location finder would still be able to pinpoint a tile with an accessible vein. I could certainly be wrong there.

Deep metals and adamintine aren't the same thing. The former is just talking about the depth of regular metal ores.

e: Although knowing Dwarf Fortress it's entirely possible that the presence of adamantium is sufficient to flag a site for "deep metal" on the finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, you mean cotton candy clown car hidden fun stuff carnival rides. :shepicide:

Raw adamantine veins occur roughly one every four embark tiles, depending on alignment within the region grid. You can get as many as 9 in a 4x4 embark, and a 4x2 embark guarantees multiple spires.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I do not like it when this game crashes 1 week before my annual autosave :(
I had done so much stuff!!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Geeeez I'm not doing another fort before I get dfhack and prospect back. I like this fort but it's galena all the way down. That may be my fault for embarking near a volcano though, I've noticed that the same conditions that create volcanism are pretty bad for iron.

Also, I had a forgotten beast that lit people on fire. That was fun, but now it's a year later and they're still on fire. They seem ok though.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Deep metals and adamintine aren't the same thing. The former is just talking about the depth of regular metal ores.

e: Although knowing Dwarf Fortress it's entirely possible that the presence of adamantium is sufficient to flag a site for "deep metal" on the finder.

I think the latter is what threw me off, since I've had forts where adamantium is virtually the only ore present aside a smattering of silver/iron ores at the surface, but I'm pretty sure those sites listed 'deep metal'. Again, could be wrong and I just never found whatever other 'deep metal' the finder was referring to.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Zinc and nickel by the magma sea, most likely.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
No iron ores at my embark site, much to my dismay. poo poo tons of cassiterite and malachite, though. My bronze industry is bumpin'.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Going to assume they mean 'deep metals' (aka Adamantium), but I would guess the location finder would still be able to pinpoint a tile with an accessible vein. I could certainly be wrong there.

Yeah, I can never remember if it's adamantium or adamantite or what in DF so I went with the safe option.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Adamantine. You know, like the official mineralogical adjective for "diamondy".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I can't believe it.

Augmenting the dfhack github repo with df-structures actually compiled into a 40.23 compatible package. Now it's time to see how stable this thing is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

I can't believe it.

Augmenting the dfhack github repo with df-structures actually compiled into a 40.23 compatible package. Now it's time to see how stable this thing is.

Yeah I saw someone posting about that but to be honest I don't have the programming knowhow to even deal with df-structures. If your build is somewhat stable would you mind putting it up somewhere?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'd be more comfortable listing out how you do that in the middle of the usual building process, but sure, I can do that.

Windows 40.23

But do realize that I barely know what I'm doing as is! If something goes wrong, you're on your own.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

scamtank posted:

I'd be more comfortable listing out how you do that in the middle of the usual building process, but sure, I can do that.

Windows 40.23

But do realize that I barely know what I'm doing as is! If something goes wrong, you're on your own.

Looks like my dreams of a Dwarf Fortress new years eve can come true.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Windows 40.23

Can you update Therapist as well for us? :neckbeard:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Can you update Therapist as well for us? :neckbeard:

Therapist is already updated.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see it for OSX v40.23 but only 40.19 for Windows, at least in the bay12 thread. Is there a link somewhere?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Nietzschean posted:

I see it for OSX v40.23 but only 40.19 for Windows, at least in the bay12 thread. Is there a link somewhere?

I'd be interested in seeing a link as well! It seems like there have been a number of good improvements between 40.19 and 40.23. I'm impressed at the new features I've seen talked about, and it seems like people in this thread are up to cool stuff!

I hope development will continue with improving existing functionality and features before adding even more to the game.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

awesmoe posted:

I do not like it when this game crashes 1 week before my annual autosave :(
I had done so much stuff!!

change that poo poo to seasonal

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Just needs this file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10352

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:worship: You are a goddamned hero.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Man, Toady has been cutting some corners with these new trees. For an example, let's take the bayberry tree.

This is myrica gale, a small deciduous shrub that grows near shores of salty waters. Emits a strong herbal odor, easily confused with young willows. American distribution: Alaska, Canada, New England for the most part.

And this is myrica rubra, a big-rear end tropical fruit tree native only to Southeast Asia, the southernmost bits of Japan and the sub-Yangtze China where it grows in mountainside groves up to an altitude of 1500 meters. Also called the chinese bayberry, mountain peach or waxberry.

In-game, it grows in any temperate forest region all the way up to frozen taiga. No wonder my arctic expeditions have been a little ridiculous.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Can you fix that stuff in the raws yourself or does it require more granularity in the supported tags?

I mean if you sent fixed raws to Toady he'd probably incorporate them quite happily.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's only one tag, yeah. Turning the biome knob to ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST is pretty trivial.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nerd.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I guess that's the appropriate label when you get this angry about trees as a hobby

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

I guess that's the appropriate label when you get this angry about trees as a hobby

botany nerd.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

If you'd used all caps anywhere, I would have had to officially upgrade it to "spaz."

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think it'd be awesome if someone did a pass on plants and trees and assigned them proper tags, not only would it make more sense but it would also lead to streamlined food/drink menus. Instead of 5 of literally every fruit ever, my herbalists could collect more of fewer types of plants. It'd also make it easier to replant them.

Hell if I'm gonna do that though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

scamtank posted:

Man, Toady has been cutting some corners with these new trees. For an example, let's take the bayberry tree.

This is myrica gale, a small deciduous shrub that grows near shores of salty waters. Emits a strong herbal odor, easily confused with young willows. American distribution: Alaska, Canada, New England for the most part.

And this is myrica rubra, a big-rear end tropical fruit tree native only to Southeast Asia, the southernmost bits of Japan and the sub-Yangtze China where it grows in mountainside groves up to an altitude of 1500 meters. Also called the chinese bayberry, mountain peach or waxberry.

In-game, it grows in any temperate forest region all the way up to frozen taiga. No wonder my arctic expeditions have been a little ridiculous.
:negative:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

For any real accuracy, though, we'd have to have a lot more to distinguish biomes and growth preferences. Altitude, soil depth, loam/clay/sand tolerance, temperature range...

For now, I'm glad that trees still accept the FREQUENCY token. Now I can look at some actual trees and not just a single transcontinental rainbow-colored fruit grove.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Prop Wash posted:

I think it'd be awesome if someone did a pass on plants and trees and assigned them proper tags, not only would it make more sense but it would also lead to streamlined food/drink menus. Instead of 5 of literally every fruit ever, my yherbalists could collect more of fewer types of plants. It'd also make it easier to replant them.

Hell if I'm gonna do that though

The logical step would be introduction of viticulture. "Why are my merlot grapes not growing on my embark, the soil pH seems ok? Also my legendary weaponsmith is throwing a tantrum because all the fort has in stock right now is a 128 Dornfelder, and he insists it's a terrible vintage."

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yessss snooty nobles who will require you to set up champagne production 'lest they tantrum :iit:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

yessss snooty nobles who will require you to set up champagne production 'lest they tantrum :iit:

Champagne cask aging should begin with a risk of exploding casks if either the cask or champagne is made poorly. Same with the glass bottles.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ceciltron posted:

Champagne cask aging should begin with a risk of exploding casks if either the cask or champagne is made poorly. Same with the glass bottles.

Dwarf McDwarf canceled drink: Bottle Exploded
The -Uristberry Champagne Bottle Shard- pierced the skull, tearing the brain!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

For any real accuracy, though, we'd have to have a lot more to distinguish biomes and growth preferences. Altitude, soil depth, loam/clay/sand tolerance, temperature range...

For now, I'm glad that trees still accept the FREQUENCY token. Now I can look at some actual trees and not just a single transcontinental rainbow-colored fruit grove.

Well, if you're going to have soil, then we need pedogenesis and monsoons and oscillations and desertification and glaciation. Preferably both the natural kind and the sudden evil-terrain-magic kind.

"I can't believe we embarked in an El Nino year" should be a thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Dwarf McDwarf canceled drink: Bottle Exploded
The -Uristberry Champagne Bottle Shard- pierced the skull, tearing the brain!

Masterfully crafted bottle has been shattered.
Urist Brewmaster has felt desperate after witnessing art defacement.
Urist Brewmaster is looking to start a fistfight.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

scamtank posted:

I am sorry but this is the most :spergin: I've read all year.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

I hope trees fall on both of you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Michaellaneous posted:

Never been outdoors, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The logical step would be introduction of viticulture. "Why are my merlot grapes not growing on my embark, the soil pH seems ok? Also my legendary weaponsmith is throwing a tantrum because all the fort has in stock right now is a 128 Dornfelder, and he insists it's a terrible vintage."

I was actually throwing around an idea of a dedicated cheese makers workshop and cheese making activity zone recently which I guess would pair well with this idea. :v:
Basically you could have Brined Cheese (worth 20☼) made from Fresh Cheese and Salt (from rock salt), smoked cheese (worth 40☼) that costs a unit of fuel and then finally hard cave cheese that you would leave in a cheese aging activity zone that would be worth anywhere between 40☼-150☼ depending on which level of cavern its aged in.