Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kewpuh posted:

yo anybody wanna fight???????????????

nnid is kewpuh add for fight

do we get banned if we beat you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

PantsBandit posted:

you should beat me because im not very good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I loving hope not

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

always facing the wrong way on grabs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

always facing the wrong way on grabs

if you roll forward you face the opposite direction of when you started

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
kewpuh you also press A to do an attack, hope this helps

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:owned:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

dedede's fsmash is also really dumb and slow

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hey kewpuh do you have any custom moves? Can we turn those on after

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

dedede's fsmash is also really dumb and slow

It is, but it has a gigantic range

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

okay im going to eat lunch i will be back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

okay im going to eat lunch i will be back

This but with a flu shot added

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

This is the one fighting game I can actually get my friends to play. Why are you taking this away from me Sakurai!?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Sakurai this is the last fuckin straw

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm really looking forward to the first Smash Bros game with a different director at the helm. I would love to see a Smash Bros that's designed with both competitive and casual play in mind, rather than being designed with the idea that one forgoes the other.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
And maybe have at least one person who can play through the game and speak up when they realize that unlocking custom moves is a pain in the rear end

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm really looking forward to the first Smash Bros game with a different director at the helm. I would love to see a Smash Bros that's designed with both competitive and casual play in mind, rather than being designed with the idea that one forgoes the other.

This, Sakurai's got some grand, incomprehensible vision for Smash that I'm fairly sure is actually impossible to achieve, but damned if that won't stop him from doing literally everything in his power to make it happen

whalestory posted:

And maybe have at least one person who can play through the game and speak up when they realize that unlocking custom moves is a pain in the rear end

welcome to the Japanese video game industry

E: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=244481

apparently Bowser Jr. came really close to getting cut

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Sakurai brought us smash bros, so he is a Good Man, but we need a different dude brought on board for the single player poo poo. Classic / All Star / Multi Man / Stadium Events are all extremely bad and by this point I'd rather they did away with singleplayer completely and used however many thousands of man-hours they'd save to throw in a half-dozen more characters. Smash with bots is the best single player mode anyways.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'd like to know what genius decided to not use the touchscreens on either console to choose menus, characters, sliders, things like that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Doing every character's 10 man under 25 seconds was a lot of fun, had to figure out something about using them. I miss the character-specific target smashes.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Polo-Rican posted:

Sakurai brought us smash bros, so he is a Good Man, but we need a different dude brought on board for the single player poo poo. Classic / All Star / Multi Man / Stadium Events are all extremely bad and by this point I'd rather they did away with singleplayer completely and used however many thousands of man-hours they'd save to throw in a half-dozen more characters. Smash with bots is the best single player mode anyways.

I just want break the targets back. Also I liked Melee's adventure mode a lot, I wouldn't mind something in the vein of that returning.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I just want break the targets back. Also I liked Melee's adventure mode a lot, I wouldn't mind something in the vein of that returning.

I think part of the problem there is at this point there are 48+ of those to make, and they all have to be unique and interesting.

Then people play them for an hour and never do them again.

They're still great though.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Break the Targets is the best single player content because it makes you actually think about your character's movement and attacks, how far projectiles will go and how gravity affects them, the speed and range of your moves, etc. Also Young Link's in Melee forced people to learn about wall jumping.

Classic/Adventure/All-Star/Event are all fun but you don't learn anything that's applicable against actual opponents. If anything fighting the CPU will probably make you worse at the game because repetitive tactics work a lot better.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 31, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Louisgod posted:

I'd like to know what genius decided to not use the touchscreens on either console to choose menus, characters, sliders, things like that.

Kid Icarus Uprising's menus are like that too -- the bottom screen tells you about the menu item you have highlighted, which is confusing - they could have switched the top and bottom screens and had a really sweet, intuitive touchscreen menu.

vvv If you're defining "pro" as "professional," as in "makes their full-time living playing Smash Bros," there's like a dozen people in that category, max, meaning the rest of the competitive community falls into that middle ground.

Sade fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 31, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm liking how there's even a sort of revisionist history going on by some people now trying to make it so that SSB64 and Melee were hardly worked on by Sakurai and handled mostly by HAL developers and that's why the games were good in the first place.

Also from reading people talking about how the competitive scenes will keep playing a game while casuals will drop it, I really think there needs to be a term for whoever gets caught in the middle. The gamer who's not what you consider "casual" but has no aspirations of being "hardcore competitive". You know like, the gamer who will never enter a tournament but still play the game every once in a while years after the game has come out and has completed most of the challenges over the years, if not within the first few months.

Like, you wouldn't call yourself a pro in any way, shape or form, but you've invested hundreds of hours into a series if not an entry in a game itself, even if there's scores of people better than you are at the game.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Someone needs to tell Sakurai about ladders and ranking systems. Competitively focused games are usually fun for everyone because beginners only get matched up against other beginners. This is especially effective when the playerbase is as massive as in Smash Bros.

Also his vision of "bad players won't feel bad when they lose" is impossible unless you randomize the outcome to a Mario Kart/Party degree (which I guess is why he made Smash Tour mode).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm liking how there's even a sort of revisionist history going on by some people now trying to make it so that SSB64 and Melee were hardly worked on by Sakurai and handled mostly by HAL developers and that's why the games were good in the first place.

It was never and has never been a one man job, Sakurai became the face of it but I don't think he was the only programmer sleeping under a desk.

There's actually an interview with Sakurai where he more or less states Melee was good and that in fact it was too good and it can never be like that again lest any casual player who comes within 20 feet burst into flame

The same type of casual player who gave Melee 7.5 million in sales

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
yes I'm sure that's precisely what Sakurai said, and I'm sure he's intentionally making the games worse than Melee the One True Example of Nintendo Fighting Games.

come the gently caress on people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Someone needs to tell Sakurai about ladders and ranking systems. Competitively focused games are usually fun for everyone because beginners only get matched up against other beginners. This is especially effective when the playerbase is as massive as in Smash Bros.

Also his vision of "bad players won't feel bad when they lose" is impossible unless you randomize the outcome to a Mario Kart/Party degree (which I guess is why he made Smash Tour mode).

The outcome isn't really random in either of those games even, because if there's someone who knows those games playing against people who don't they'll still probably wind up winning regardless of the blue shells they eat or the number of times they land on red spaces because they're probably still winning 50%+ of the minigames

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

F. Lobot posted:

Someone needs to tell Sakurai about ladders and ranking systems.

For Glory does that, right? There's no way it's entirely random. I'd assumed it was copying the Halo model of "track ELO-like but never show players anything because it will only cause complaints".

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was never and has never been a one man job, Sakurai became the face of it but I don't think he was the only programmer sleeping under a desk.

Of course not, but that people are actually trying to make it seem like he didn't deserve to be the face of it in the first place because of his opinions just strikes me as weird. It's hard to paint him as the George Lucas of video games when he and pretty much everyone else under the Iwata umbrella always prop up the teams who put in the grunt work in interviews both pre- and post-release. Hell in that Dream interview itself he contributes Bowser Jr. not getting cut to the team because they rallied themselves to get the Koopa Kids done in time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

yes I'm sure that's precisely what Sakurai said, and I'm sure he's intentionally making the games worse than Melee the One True Example of Nintendo Fighting Games.

come the gently caress on people.

http://ign.com/articles/2010/12/09/super-smash-bros-creator-melee-the-sharpest

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JawnV6 posted:

For Glory does that, right? There's no way it's entirely random. I'd assumed it was copying the Halo model of "track ELO-like but never show players anything because it will only cause complaints".

I refuse to believe there's any kind of matchmaking system in For Glory because I've fought people that were way shittier than me, people that were equal in skill, and people who I just couldn't even touch. There's no consistency at all

Also Melee sucks, there's no Dedede

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I refuse to believe there's any kind of matchmaking system in For Glory because I've fought people that were way shittier than me, people that were equal in skill, and people who I just couldn't even touch. There's no consistency at all

Also Melee sucks, there's no Dedede

It was literally Dedede or Ganondorf (and 5 nerds) Macaluso

Would you forsake Ganondorf

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i believe matchmaking is based on global smash power, which anyone can achieve

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was literally Dedede or Ganondorf (and 5 nerds) Macaluso

Would you forsake Ganondorf

Would I forsake poopfart Ganondorf for KING Dedede?

Is this a trick question

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Macaluso posted:

Would I forsake poopfart Ganondorf for KING Dedede?

Is this a trick question

You watch your goddamn mouth

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i believe matchmaking is based on global smash power, which anyone can achieve

Even worse, most people are around the same level because they played single player just enough to unlock everything. Then the thousands of hours spent actually getting good don't count for anything so they stay at that same low level. If you want an easy online experience just grind out tons of GSP and your opponents will have no idea how to play against real people.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also from reading people talking about how the competitive scenes will keep playing a game while casuals will drop it, I really think there needs to be a term for whoever gets caught in the middle. The gamer who's not what you consider "casual" but has no aspirations of being "hardcore competitive". You know like, the gamer who will never enter a tournament but still play the game every once in a while years after the game has come out and has completed most of the challenges over the years, if not within the first few months.

Like, you wouldn't call yourself a pro in any way, shape or form, but you've invested hundreds of hours into a series if not an entry in a game itself, even if there's scores of people better than you are at the game.

*in Hagrid's oaken voice* You're a tryhard, Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i don't get sakurai

• Locked thread