Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want Takamura's next real match to be against another cartoon character (Bugsy Bunny?) and it be set up as a joke until the first round when the dude turns out to be a serious boxer.

This guy would work I guess but his name and design aren't whimsical enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
A boxer fights on borrowed time. every round counts, i can't waste a second, i'm in a rush

*lets fights go full nine rounds because im trying to do a bug punch or something ridiculous*

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Pretty excited for Sendo's match because he's pretty much Ippo if he ever used his brain or developed any technique

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty good chap. I don't mind that we are switching scenes to the real characters of the series. :colbert:

And yes Sendo is what Ippo would've been if Ippo was a hot blooded shonen protagonist.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
The best parts of this series are the ones not with Ippo in it because even after a thousand chapters Ippo is still a dumbass child with basically no character development and it's refreshing to see him called out for trying to take the world title with just savant retard strength.

Especially when all his training has generally just been brute strength and trying to counter whatever dumb gimmick his new fight is going to have. Then he finally goes up against someone as strong as he is that uses actual technique and gets clowned.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Thunderbro posted:

The best parts of this series are the ones not with Ippo in it because even after a thousand chapters Ippo is still a dumbass child with basically no character development and it's refreshing to see him called out for trying to take the world title with just savant retard strength.

Especially when all his training has generally just been brute strength and trying to counter whatever dumb gimmick his new fight is going to have. Then he finally goes up against someone as strong as he is that uses actual technique and gets clowned.

It's worse because Gonzales was fighting like a retard and gave Ippo every opportunity to land that one punch, but he was that much better.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1080

Takamura fight inbound!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
ha ha, you suck and are stupid Ippo. Now we get to watch actual interesting/developed characters do stuff!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Takamura literally fighting M. Bison.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1081 is out

Sendo and Mashiba brawlin' is great. You know things are going in the right direction when someone brings out the folding chair.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one of mashiba or sendo will lose i bet. or at the very least have a real lovely fight so ippo is like "wow, if they struggled with all their effort...what have i been thinking" (despite coming within inches of beating the world 2nd rank)

takamura will win to provide more inspiration

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1081 is out

Sendo and Mashiba brawlin' is great. You know things are going in the right direction when someone brings out the folding chair.

That Yagi panel is perfect.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

tbp posted:

takamura will win

Could've stopped there and I would've believed you, no need to qualify it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a great chapter.

Seriously Sendo and Mashiba brawlin had me chuckling. Yeah thats' making your rivals pumped up alright.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

That Works posted:

That Yagi panel is perfect.
It really is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A funny and good Ippo chapter. Because Ippo was primarily not in it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1082

if this all leads to a Sendo/Mashiba match, then I'm sorry for all the poo poo I said about you Morikawa, all is forgiven

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1082

if this all leads to a Sendo/Mashiba match, then I'm sorry for all the poo poo I said about you Morikawa, all is forgiven

I like how Ippo is shocked that Mashiba is rushing in. Truly unfathomable that a boxer would expand their skill set and try new tactics as time goes on and they continue to train!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so this manga once again shows that it can be good if ippo or itagaki aren't fighting.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I will laugh my loving rear end off if Mashiba gets knocked out on purpose just to run back and try and kick Sendo's rear end. Thereby making Sendo too injured to put up a decent fight in his match. All to show Ippo you have to turn into a psychopath in order to make it to the world.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1083 is out.

Mashiba fails to pull off a Takamura and win a match in 5 seconds. Lets see if the Grim Reaper can pull it together or if his opponent is secretly a Belmont.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So Mashiba is basically throwing rabbit punches due to his height advantage. Cool.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

These chapters are boring as hell to me. If they happened say, 4 to 5 hundred chapters ago it'd make sense, but seriously this feels like a drag. There are 3 relevant Kamogawa boxers at the moment, and you have a semi-plot-advancing storyline ready for one of them, just get on with it instead of two goofball matches beforehand.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I, too, am mad that there will be boxing matches in a manga about boxing. I wish there was more backwards lessons to learn and dick jokes instead of good boxing matches.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Somebody's talkin' poo poo about Mashiba?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bisse posted:

I, too, am mad that there will be boxing matches in a manga about boxing. I wish there was more backwards lessons to learn and dick jokes instead of good boxing matches.

its not that.. its just that i dont really care about these matches because they dont have high stakes for the ppl we know in them. mashiba has had good fights, three of them iirc throughout the whole story. but there's no real reason i think we need 4 chapters or whatever on a throwaway opponent for a non-main character when we're over a thousand chapters already in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TriffTshngo posted:

Somebody's talkin' poo poo about Mashiba?

So awesome. Never change, Mashiba. One of the few instances of "I beat this guy, and now we're friends!" where actually no, there is no friendship and he hasn't magically become a good person. Mashiba rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hey, remember that time Mashiba got DQ'ed and then punched a dude so hard he flew out of the ring into the stands and got brain damaged?

Yeah. That was good Ippo.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Honestly Mashiba is kind of being a moron here. Isn't his redeeming factor supposed to be that he cares about his sister so much and that's why he'll break the rules to win? Since when does he just not give a poo poo about his fights because of some idiocy?

Sendo was always a moron in the first place but seriously I'll be really annoyed if they win their fights as a lesson to Ippo about how you have to be an idiot to make it To The World.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the whole "making it to the world" thing is retarded anyway because ippo was literally a few punches away from beating the #2 ranked fighter in the world, and was deliberately sealing his strongest move or w.e. for the majority of the match

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Bisse posted:

there's a difference between finding a match tiresome for no reason, and finding a match tiresome because its a throwaway match for a 2nd tier supporting character in which the main story for the fight is how the only reason it isn't a slaughter is because the character is an unfocused mess due to previous zanyness, and he'll still win anyways

KoB
May 1, 2009

McNerd posted:

Honestly Mashiba is kind of being a moron here. Isn't his redeeming factor supposed to be that he cares about his sister so much and that's why he'll break the rules to win? Since when does he just not give a poo poo about his fights because of some idiocy?

Hes a world ranker, he probably makes enough money already that thats not an issue anymore.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Hes a world ranker, he probably makes enough money already that thats not an issue anymore.

Does he? I don't know much about the boxing world but Ippo's not exactly a rich man as far as we can tell. And Mashiba's going to have a hard time getting advertising deals with his reputation. Anyway he isn't going to remain a world ranker for long if he keeps this up.

Honestly it doesn't make much difference to me, I always thought he's just a psychopath with one really bad excuse for his behavior both inside and outside the ring. So I don't mind if they just stop trying to sell that excuse, but I wish they'd be consistent about it.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

McNerd posted:

Does he? I don't know much about the boxing world but Ippo's not exactly a rich man as far as we can tell. And Mashiba's going to have a hard time getting advertising deals with his reputation. Anyway he isn't going to remain a world ranker for long if he keeps this up.

Honestly it doesn't make much difference to me, I always thought he's just a psychopath with one really bad excuse for his behavior both inside and outside the ring. So I don't mind if they just stop trying to sell that excuse, but I wish they'd be consistent about it.

Does Ippo collect a paycheck? It has been a long time since we have seen him get paid, and his living conditions haven't changed since he started boxing so if he does get paid I have no idea what he spends the money on (maybe the fishing boat)?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maybe Kamogawa is embezzling all of Ippo's earnings from these fights while pushing him to a point where he is going to be brain damaged and drooling in the next 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he had tricked Ippo into giving him power of attorney in case Ippo is severely injured.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
A typical arrangement in Japan is for the husband to earn money and for the wife to run the household, maybe giving him a little to play with now and then. Maybe Mommy handles his finances.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Japan or no, there's no way Ippo doesn't give his mama every cent.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I think back when he started hammering logs into the river bank, he said that he doesn't spend his money on luxuries i.e. that he's content with the quality of life he has right now and has no desire to spend it just because.

I mean, look at Takamura. Even with his statue-buying poo poo, dude should be living in a better apartment and at least have his own car. Instead, he likes his dinghy one man room and traveling the land of glorious nippon on foot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wasn't Takamura already from a really rich family though? I can't really remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah iirc his family is rather successful. Ain't seen them since his first championship bout I think.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2015