Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Doomwake Giant does the same thing, immediately, and for 1 less mana. On its own all it does is trade with the Queen herself, so this card will need a deck with other viable dragons lower in the curve to pay off.

That said it's infinitely better than the awful GW dragon, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Yawgmoth posted:

I'd maindeck it just because a one-sided -1/-1 is really nice in a meta where 1/1, 1/3, and 2/4 are very common. Drop doomwake giant (or an enchantment), swing with this guy, suddenly your opponent can't block to kill anything.

Correct, and it has flying which already really hard to deal with in the current standard. Not to mention hex proof. Do you know how hard it is to get rid of a caryatid if you are not Mardu throwing around crackling dooms? Very hard. When this thing lands on the board it will stick around for a while. Outside of standard, the card isn't that appealing though.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BaronVonVaderham posted:

poo poo that feels great in cube: Turn 1 Gravecrawler, Turn 2 Mox, Mox, Braids :unsmigghh:

Hope you have another Zombie.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Equilibrium posted:

Doomwake Giant does the same thing, immediately, and for 1 less mana. On its own all it does is trade with the Queen herself, so this card will need a deck with other viable dragons lower in the curve to pay off.

That said it's infinitely better than the awful GW dragon, what the hell.

Stormbreath Dragon still the king.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I doubt it will see play outside of sideboards, if then. I don't see its ability as particularly gamebreaking in Whip decks, and other U/B decks are right now mostly control decks, which as we discussed earlier, they'd probably rather just play Ugin, minus away everything on the opponents side and then bolt them to death.

It's a SB card but it's awesome against Elspeth and any kind of Jeskai Token deck too so it's more than just a hornet hoser.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I do like that the ability for all these new Dragons say "whenever a Dragon attacks", meaning if they print some cheap 2 drop dragon in the right colors, you could end up building a tribal deck where all your opponents creatures are getting -4/-4 every turn or something.

Edit: Or just reprint Mutavault.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Considering there are UB control decks that only play PLA as a finisher, I think it could see some play there. Even if it's slow as poo poo, it dodges almost all removal and is harder to chump block.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

I do like that the ability for all these new Dragons say "whenever a Dragon attacks", meaning if they print some cheap 2 drop dragon in the right colors, you could end up building a tribal deck where all your opponents creatures are getting -4/-4 every turn or something.

There will probably be some in Dragons of Tarkir, if nothing else, but I think the UB dragon is cool as heck. :3:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

qbert posted:

http://magiccards.info/m15/en/132.html

Build the dream.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Considering there are UB control decks that only play PLA as a finisher, I think it could see some play there. Even if it's slow as poo poo, it dodges almost all removal and is harder to chump block.

Ugin is just better though, even for the 2 extra mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It remains to be seen if it was seeded for legit Dragon-tribal. My guess it is just for dorky commander decks since they tend to make dragons expensive and unwieldy to cast.

Also, reply is not edit.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

qbert posted:

Edit: Or just reprint Mutavault.

I was just thinking that with what we've got so far in terms of spoilers that they must be printing some little 4 cmc or less dragons to go along with these legendary guys to make them do a little more than just trigger themselves. Having a field of lovely little dragons beforehand would certainly make the legendaries a lot more scary as a top end.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

En Fuego posted:

Hope you have another Zombie.

The best one! Geralf's Messenger was my next play in both games. I also had a pile of others, and Bitterblossom or Bloodline Keeper to provide sacrifice fodder if anything went wrong.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Is it just me or does the dude in Gibbering Descent kinda look like Maro?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

It remains to be seen if it was seeded for legit Dragon-tribal. My guess it is just for dorky commander decks since they tend to make dragons expensive and unwieldy to cast.

Also, reply is not edit.

It's so you can draft Broodkeeper and go off one night when one of your fellow drafters randomly switches into your second color 2/3 of the way through the draft, leaving you scrambling for playables.

I 3/0'd that draft without losing a game. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I was just thinking that with what we've got so far in terms of spoilers that they must be printing some little 4 cmc or less dragons to go along with these legendary guys to make them do a little more than just trigger themselves. Having a field of lovely little dragons beforehand would certainly make the legendaries a lot more scary as a top end.

Furnace Whelp (4 CMC 2/2 flier with fire breathing) is in M15. :v:

Grixis dragons feat. Siege Dragon and Silumgar!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Shivan Dragon is still around and Standard Legal! :v:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They did say that this set has the highest concentration of dragons out of every set ever. It's likely we'll get a bunch more in the next set, too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

They did say that this set has the highest concentration of dragons out of every set ever. It's likely we'll get a bunch more in the next set, too.

The biggest problem with making a ton of dragons in every color is that dragons that can't fly are Wyrms, and giving random flying to every color makes Maro lose his mind.

KidVicious
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Charisma

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Good thing I've got like 300 Crucible of fire just hanging out in my bulk box, sure they'll see play somewhere, right?

...I already know the answer to that one. :(

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem with making a ton of dragons in every color is that dragons that can't fly are Wyrms, and giving random flying to every color makes Maro lose his mind.

I'm not expecting any green dragons.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

joats posted:

I'm not expecting any green dragons.
Why not? :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Got around to reading the Uncharted Realms story. Its pretty ho-hum. Sarkhan goes to the past and sees dragons and gets all weepy about it. Then he resolves to change the past so he can save his wannabee-girlfriend.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:allears:

y2k15 bug~

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/designing-your-fate-2014-12-29

quote:

However, Tarkir isn't Sarkhan's home world for nothing. In Fate Reforged, the past, there are dragons! The dragons themselves have their own broods, motives, and breath weapons. In fact, Fate Reforged has the most individual Dragon cards and highest as-fan (average number of cards per booster pack, or "as you fan your booster") of Dragons than any set in Magic's history.

This set has more dragons than any Magic set ever. There is going to be dragon tribal, and Crucible of Fire was made to support it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Green gets a few dragons and big fliers, but they:
a) aren't easily monogreen
b) aren't efficiently costed
c) aren't great, especially if they are monogreen

THAT is MaRo's issue with good green fliers, like Queen. It's a great, monogreen, flier.
If it were G/B, he'd be all over it, he's said so multiple times.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i love mtgo

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The best one! Geralf's Messenger was my next play in both games. I also had a pile of others, and Bitterblossom or Bloodline Keeper to provide sacrifice fodder if anything went wrong.

There right there is my favorite deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kabanaw posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/designing-your-fate-2014-12-29

This set has more dragons than any Magic set ever. There is going to be dragon tribal, and Crucible of Fire was made to support it.

Pedantic but Crucible of Fire is an Alara card.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't have a problem with the mechanic; I have a problem with the name "manifest." It doesn't sound like what the mechanic does at all. A card that is face-down is the literal opposite of manifest.

To Manifest is to Create or make it real. Manifesting a creature might be kind of weird, but manifesting a land or a spell makes sense. Turning a lightning bolt into a bear is about as close to Manifesting as you can get I'd think

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
So, how do we all feel about enemy fetches being reprinted in FRF? We don't have enough card numbers to guess for FRF, but I do not expect them now, nor in Dragons. I would also be surprised if they show up in MMA2; though I think that has a higher chance than this block.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Rukawa posted:

So, how do we all feel about enemy fetches being reprinted in FRF? I don't know if we have enough card numbers to guess for FRF, but I do not expect them now, nor in Dragons. I would also be surprised if they show up in MMA2; though I think that has a higher chance than this block.

It has already been said that the fetches in Khans are going to be the ones in FRF.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin is just better though, even for the 2 extra mana.

Eh, I feel like they both have upsides and downsides. Ugin is the same cost as the dragon + open counter mana. Ugin can't be wrathed but the dragon can't be Hero's Downfalled and one is way more common currently.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

joats posted:

It has already been said that the fetches in Khans are going to be the ones in FRF.

Oh, it's that Gatecrash thing where it can be in the land slot. Cool!

Edit: Still don't think they reprint the enemies in Dragons, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

To Manifest is to Create or make it real. Manifesting a creature might be kind of weird, but manifesting a land or a spell makes sense. Turning a lightning bolt into a bear is about as close to Manifesting as you can get I'd think

As an adjective it's a literal opposite. As a verb (usually meaning to display or demonstrate something) it's only slightly less off since you aren't displaying or demonstrating what it is.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 31, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Rinkles posted:

Pedantic but Crucible of Fire is an Alara card.

I wasn't aware, but in that case you can just change "made" to "put into m15" and it's the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kabanaw posted:

I wasn't aware, but in that case you can just change "made" to "put into m15" and it's the same thing.

Sure, hence the "pedantic"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Zen fetches in Dragons wouldn't be too crazy because of how the rotation is going to work out. Khans/Fate is rotating out before Dragons will, so they may want it to have independent and mirrored lands. HOWEVER it's always possible that enemy fetches just don't work great with the design of Dragons otherwise, so basically we won't know until we get our first dual land spoiled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I can think of one way to cheat with Manifest that won't be easy to catch. If you Manifest a creature with morph, you could use sleight of hand to switch it with a land from your hand. You can now cast the creature with Morph, and buy yourself an extra 2/2. It won't happen in Constructed but I bet we'll see it on camera in a Limited event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

Zen fetches in Dragons wouldn't be too crazy because of how the rotation is going to work out. Khans/Fate is rotating out before Dragons will, so they may want it to have independent and mirrored lands. HOWEVER it's always possible that enemy fetches just don't work great with the design of Dragons otherwise, so basically we won't know until we get our first dual land spoiled.

Enemy fetches in DTK, allied pain lands in m16. :getin:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 31, 2014

• Locked thread